Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is Trump really insane on foreign policy?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 4:54:16 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At least compared to...pretty much everyone else?

Trump is willing to work with Russia and Assad to destroy ISIS. Trump calls out the insanity and immorality of purposely extending the Syrian civil war by funding "moderate" rebels and giving them weapons (which everyone knows often falls into ISIS hands). Sure, Assad may be a bad guy, but has he killed more people than we have by prolonging the civil war? Or come even *close*?

Chris Christie eagerly declared that he would start WWIII with Russia if he was elected president. Huckabee said that young Americans don't deserve education and in fact are lazy slouches who need to join the military to help fight our suicidal, pointless middle eastern wars.

Trump calls out the fact that toppling secular strongmen in the middle east NEVER works, the rest of the establishment (on both sides): "Assad has got to go." for....reasons.

Trump calls for a temporary halt on Muslim immigration while we update our vetting methodology. He's racist, evil, literally worse than Hitler. Graham would spend his entire presidency killing hundreds of thousands of muslim people and funding radical islamists. But hey, he called out that nasty bigot Trump and who cares if third worlders are dying en masse far away due to our policies? As long as I can't see them, it doesn't matter. I want to signal to my fellow white people how open minded I am, so praise be to Graham!

Idiots on both sides say that an immigration halt would encourage Islamic extremism...and literally funding Islamic extremists doesn't.

This sucks. http://i.imgur.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:08:59 PM
Kasich "It's time we punch the Russians in the nose"

Yeah, you tell 'em! Putin is gonna be really scared of a middle aged, sweaty, milquetoast politician who looks like a turtle
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:12:17 PM
Is Trump insane on foreign policy...

I actually don't think so, he's simply a reactionary fellow who probably harbours a lot of belittling views of people he considers "losers." I have no doubt as well that the end-all-Muslim-immigration thing isn't sincere in the least, he's just playing a dangerous game of footsie with the populist right and outright racists of the GOP voter base to secure the nomination. He's the type of guy who uses the position to get power, and whether or not he goes through with it is basically up to him because he's a winner, and winners do what they will.

Also, I'm thoroughly convinced the man is a fascist, but that isn't here nor there on foreign policy - he's just more likely to be inclined to sidle up to fellow strongmen like Putin and Assad rather than democratic powers, and he's basically stated as such. Democracies are "losers," Putin and others are "winners," that's basically his outlook, love it or lump it.

One thing he is insane on is trying to make Mexico pay for a wall on their border. That is not going to happen. Oh, and the "shutting down the internet" thing - that is also not going to work, though I chalk that up to ignorance, not insanity. Then again, that might all be an act too. Who knows with him.

Basically, the guy is playing the GOP base like a fiddle and its funny to watch.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:18:38 PM
At 12/18/2015 5:12:17 PM, Volkov wrote:

I actually don't think so, he's simply a reactionary fellow who probably harbours a lot of belittling views of people he considers "losers."

Really? He's a DDO member?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:19:07 PM
At 12/18/2015 5:18:38 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 12/18/2015 5:12:17 PM, Volkov wrote:

I actually don't think so, he's simply a reactionary fellow who probably harbours a lot of belittling views of people he considers "losers."

Really? He's a DDO member?

Zing.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 7:11:55 PM
Obama just lifted sanctions on Uran and signed deals that give Iran access to 150 billion dollars. Insane? Naaaaa!
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 7:20:00 PM
At 12/18/2015 5:08:59 PM, thett3 wrote:

Yeah, you tell 'em! Putin is gonna be really scared of a middle aged, sweaty, milquetoast politician who looks like a turtle

This is pretty funny thett, as is your comment about Senator Graham xD

I think that Trump is really, really wrong when he says we should kill the families of ISIS, take the oil wealth of Iraq, and stop Muslim immigration... although he said we should only do this temporarily, so maybe he had a plan or something to back this up.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 8:13:24 PM
At 12/18/2015 7:20:00 PM, Contra wrote:

I think that Trump is really, really wrong when he says we should kill the families of ISIS, take the oil wealth of Iraq, and stop Muslim immigration... although he said we should only do this temporarily, so maybe he had a plan or something to back this up.

If that's not guaranteed to start WWIII....
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 9:18:30 PM

You can disagree all you want. I don't really agree (except on taking Iraqi oil if we're gonna invade). The problem I have with it is how topsy turvey our narrative is. The media, the left, and the entire political establishment from the bottom to the top went absolutely insane at the very idea that Trump would dare to stop Muslim immigration for a period of time, but their care for Muslim people goes away as soon as those people are no longer useful pawns to virtue signal about. Hands down the candidate that will bring the least suffering to Muslims worldwide is Trump, but since those Muslims are far away and we can pretend like they aren't dying they don't matter.

I also find it funny how everyone is saying "well how could you know a person is Muslim?????" While simultaneously holding the position that our vetting process for Syrian refugees and immigrants is sufficient. If you don't believe we can even tell if someone is a muslim, how could we know if they are a muslim extremist? If the vetting process is so poor that it can't even determine a persons religious status it's obviously insufficient to keep out terrorists.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 9:22:24 PM
Trump supporters are more likely to support bombing Agrabah, the fictional country from Aladdin.

http://thehill.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 9:23:44 PM
At 12/18/2015 9:18:30 PM, thett3 wrote:

You can disagree all you want. I don't really agree (except on taking Iraqi oil if we're gonna invade). The problem I have with it is how topsy turvey our narrative is. The media, the left, and the entire political establishment from the bottom to the top went absolutely insane at the very idea that Trump would dare to stop Muslim immigration for a period of time, but their care for Muslim people goes away as soon as those people are no longer useful pawns to virtue signal about. Hands down the candidate that will bring the least suffering to Muslims worldwide is Trump, but since those Muslims are far away and we can pretend like they aren't dying they don't matter.

I also find it funny how everyone is saying "well how could you know a person is Muslim?????" While simultaneously holding the position that our vetting process for Syrian refugees and immigrants is sufficient. If you don't believe we can even tell if someone is a muslim, how could we know if they are a muslim extremist? If the vetting process is so poor that it can't even determine a persons religious status it's obviously insufficient to keep out terrorists.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's just really sad that in our civic religion treating people differently based on the groups they belong to is a bigger sin that bombing civilians and seeing if "sand can glow".
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 9:24:40 PM
At 12/18/2015 9:22:24 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Trump supporters are more likely to support bombing Agrabah, the fictional country from Aladdin.

ha ha! Trump supporters so stupid! Liberals so smart! If only the white working class would just finish killing themselves off and then we could have our utopia
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 9:30:08 PM
At 12/18/2015 9:24:40 PM, thett3 wrote:

ha ha! Trump supporters so stupid! Liberals so smart! If only the white working class would just finish killing themselves off and then we could have our utopia

Hillary supporters agree with Trump's tax plan when they think it's Hillary's.

http://www.redstate.com...

These are fun.
- lamerde

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 9:53:47 PM

lol here's a fun tidbit I heard from the last White House press conference: Your party is the only political party in the developed world that still denies climate change.

There are uneducated voters on both sides. But there's no denying that the uneducated faction of the republican base is uniquely stupid.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 10:01:11 PM
At 12/18/2015 9:53:47 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol here's a fun tidbit I heard from the last White House press conference: Your party is the only political party in the developed world that still denies climate change.

There are uneducated voters on both sides. But there's no denying that the uneducated faction of the republican base is uniquely stupid.

And yet, if I had to choose someone to help me fix my car, put up a shed, or do...well, pretty much anything, I would pick the average evangelical, young earth creationist climate change denier over you without any hesitation. People typically don't know much. Deal with it.

I mean, really. I talk about how the white working class is killing itself at a shocking rate through suicide and drug/alcohol use to numb the pain and your response is "Haha yeah they're really uniquely stupid!" Just stop.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 10:07:55 PM
At 12/18/2015 4:54:16 PM, thett3 wrote:

Trump is willing to work with Russia and Assad to destroy ISIS. Trump calls out the insanity and immorality of purposely extending the Syrian civil war by funding "moderate" rebels and giving them weapons (which everyone knows often falls into ISIS hands). Sure, Assad may be a bad guy, but has he killed more people than we have by prolonging the civil war? Or come even *close*?

Chris Christie eagerly declared that he would start WWIII with Russia if he was elected president. Huckabee said that young Americans don't deserve education and in fact are lazy slouches who need to join the military to help fight our suicidal, pointless middle eastern wars.

Trump calls out the fact that toppling secular strongmen in the middle east NEVER works, the rest of the establishment (on both sides): "Assad has got to go." for....reasons.

Trump calls for a temporary halt on Muslim immigration while we update our vetting methodology. He's racist, evil, literally worse than Hitler. Graham would spend his entire presidency killing hundreds of thousands of muslim people and funding radical islamists. But hey, he called out that nasty bigot Trump and who cares if third worlders are dying en masse far away due to our policies? As long as I can't see them, it doesn't matter. I want to signal to my fellow white people how open minded I am, so praise be to Graham!

Idiots on both sides say that an immigration halt would encourage Islamic extremism...and literally funding Islamic extremists doesn't.

This sucks. http://i.imgur.com...

No he is not insane. He is clearly a very intelligent individual who is doing an excellent job to secure the gop nomination through the announcement of many policies appealing to the right of the party. Trump is a multi billionaire and for that reason I would say he is the best qualified candidate to manage the economy. He is also not afraid to offend people and says what he thinks. I expect him to win the republican nomination and then largely end the right wing policy announcements start dishing out centrist policies instead. Beating Clinton will be tough but I expect him to put up a good fight. His economic strength, media skills and appeal as a new type of potential president with a long very successful business career opposed to the many career politicians in contention give him a good shot.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 11:29:50 PM

https://media.giphy.com...
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 1:36:10 AM

He wants to "kill the families of terrorists," build a border fence that he can't pay for, "get Bill Gates to help him infiltrate the internet of ISIS."

He has no idea what he's talking about. America would become a laughing stock in front of it's allies [some of which have already revoked honors and considered banning Trump from their countries.] The only prominent world leader I've heard support Trump is Putin...
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 1:39:10 AM
At 12/18/2015 9:30:08 PM, Maikuru wrote:

These are fun.

They should do stuff like this more often. Nothing's more dangerous, and entertaining, than uninformed voters.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:39:18 AM
At 12/18/2015 10:01:11 PM, thett3 wrote:
And yet, if I had to choose someone to help me fix my car, put up a shed, or do...well, pretty much anything, I would pick the average evangelical, young earth creationist climate change denier over you without any hesitation. People typically don't know much. Deal with it.

Wouldn't it be more useful to choose the person who actually has knowledge of whatever thing you're doing, rather than their ideological and/or religious background?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 5:09:00 AM
At 12/19/2015 2:39:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/18/2015 10:01:11 PM, thett3 wrote:

Wouldn't it be more useful to choose the person who actually has knowledge of whatever thing you're doing, rather than their ideological and/or religious background?

Oh my god you're back. Tell me how to live life!
- lamerde

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 5:40:16 AM

These are fun.

Why I hate democracy.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 6:07:41 AM
At 12/19/2015 5:40:16 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

These are fun.

Why I hate democracy.

- My feelings exactly.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 6:55:35 AM
At 12/19/2015 5:11:52 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/19/2015 5:09:00 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Oh my god you're back. Tell me how to live life!

Liberally.

Done. Jill Stein it is!
- lamerde

spacetime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 8:33:33 AM
+1 to the OP

I don't think completely banning Muslim immigration is a good idea, nor do I like the idea of capturing Iraqi oil fields, but yeah his rivals' ideas for dealing with Syria, Russia, etc are incredibly stupid. Idealism needs to be completely discredited as a legitimate approach to foreign policy matters; it has brought nothing but destruction. Realism is the only way.
Call me King Pootie Tang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:23:43 PM

Trump's command of foreign policy is impressive, given that he does not come from a background in political science, international relations, or anything to do with the military. His proposed solution (getting Russia to deal with ISIS) is actually the exact same thing that Obama has been proposing, but the only difference is that Trump is better at pretending to be nice to Putin, while in reality baiting Russia into getting involved in a war that will weaken them both in the short term and the long term.

What's amazing is that there are people on the stage (i.e. Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, etc.) who desire to commit US troops to this conflict; some of them even want an all-out repeat of what took place in Iraq (i.e. Lindsey Graham, who is probably the most inept tactician that has ever been on a Senate committee charged with oversight of these things).

But the reality is that Trump's proposed solution (no ground troops, get Russia to do it, and deal ISIS from the sky where possible) is the most reasonable one.

Chris Christie eagerly declared that he would start WWIII with Russia if he was elected president.

Note on this: Pat Buchanan (a man who I ordinarily tend to make the butt of a joke every time he speaks) made the keen and astute observation that Syria is to a potential WW3 what Sarajevo was to WW1.

(I more or less made a similar argument several years ago, when the stakes were different.)
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:28:05 PM
At 12/19/2015 2:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:

Trump's command of foreign policy is impressive, given that he does not come from a background in political science, international relations, or anything to do with the military. His proposed solution (getting Russia to deal with ISIS) is actually the exact same thing that Obama has been proposing, but the only difference is that Trump is better at pretending to be nice to Putin, while in reality baiting Russia into getting involved in a war that will weaken them both in the short term and the long term.

What's amazing is that there are people on the stage (i.e. Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, etc.) who desire to commit US troops to this conflict; some of them even want an all-out repeat of what took place in Iraq (i.e. Lindsey Graham, who is probably the most inept tactician that has ever been on a Senate committee charged with oversight of these things).

But the reality is that Trump's proposed solution (no ground troops, get Russia to do it, and deal ISIS from the sky where possible) is the most reasonable one.

Chris Christie eagerly declared that he would start WWIII with Russia if he was elected president.

Note on this: Pat Buchanan (a man who I ordinarily tend to make the butt of a joke every time he speaks) made the keen and astute observation that Syria is to a potential WW3 what Sarajevo was to WW1.

(I more or less made a similar argument several years ago, when the stakes were different.)

The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend! (temporarily, as is implied with all things Trump proposes.)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:33:12 PM
At 12/19/2015 2:28:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/19/2015 2:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:

The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend! (temporarily, as is implied with all things Trump proposes.)

It's really a lot more complicated than that, though...
Tsar of DDO
gordonjames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 3:01:00 PM
Hi from Canada.

Your political system is quite interesting.

As an outsider who gets news from different sources that you might see, there is one thing that seems evident that few American news outlets mention.
note this in The Atlantic http://www.theatlantic.com... )

All of your political hopefuls are trying to play a role that makes a certain group of voters like them.

I don't think that Trump is dumb.
He at least knows how to do well in business, which takes brains.

He also looks like he might win the Republican nomination.

All of them are to some extent acting out a persona they think will win them votes.

Trump is playing to those who like conservative values who are afraid of change, and are OK with closing down their borders in hopes for security and prosperity at home.

On foreign policy, here is what I think you cold expect of a Trump Whitehouse.
- Less using the military as an agent of foreign policy.
(Save money on military spending on hugely expensive foreign wars)
- More restrictive immigration policy - with all kinds of policies that would be civil rights issues if they were already citizens.
- More policies to free business from government oversight. (including freedoms for multinationals to outsource jobs)
- More foreign and domestic espionage, including industrial spying like the Chinese
- More use of targeted assassinations (rather than full on military actions)
- More use of business as a tool of the state (get Intel & Microsoft to build espionage into products for foreign markets.