Jump to topic:

Regulation fetish

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 6:31:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Mainstream politics famously wants to regulate anything any time it goes wrong rather than looking at why it went wrong in the first place (actually they say greed, which explains everything and therefore explains nothing).

Conversely, deregulation is the plague, and only helps big businesses at the expense of the poor. "What are you, crazy? You want to give corporations a break?" Etc etc.

What I'm wondering is why people think regulations are one sided - that they only dis-empower corporations. The way I see it, the regulation of the private sector is the deregulation of the public sector, and deregulation is always bad according to mainstream logic.

Given that the public sector has screwed up sooo badly (welfare or warfare state, take your pick), worse than any corporation has ever screwed up, it feels like we don't need to deregulate the federal government any more.

It seems like it would be a step forward if we could at least get people to become agnostic/nihilistic about regulations. Since you can't actually regulate anything, you can only shift power from Group A to Group B, both of which are jack@$$es.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 6:52:49 AM
At 10/12/2010 6:31:54 AM, Sieben wrote:
Mainstream politics famously wants to regulate anything any time it goes wrong rather than looking at why it went wrong in the first place (actually they say greed, which explains everything and therefore explains nothing).

Conversely, deregulation is the plague, and only helps big businesses at the expense of the poor. "What are you, crazy? You want to give corporations a break?" Etc etc.

What I'm wondering is why people think regulations are one sided - that they only dis-empower corporations. The way I see it, the regulation of the private sector is the deregulation of the public sector, and deregulation is always bad according to mainstream logic.

Given that the public sector has screwed up sooo badly (welfare or warfare state, take your pick), worse than any corporation has ever screwed up, it feels like we don't need to deregulate the federal government any more.

It seems like it would be a step forward if we could at least get people to become agnostic/nihilistic about regulations. Since you can't actually regulate anything, you can only shift power from Group A to Group B, both of which are jack@$$es.

Sieben, those who are in opposition to this message are far more effective in convincing people that more regulation, more government is the answer. Not because it's true, but because they are more effective in convincing. If you ask the average guy on the street what was the cause of the financial melt down, what do you think the answer will be, and why?
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 6:57:06 AM
Greedy bankers, because of greed. A more sophisticated person will say deregulation.

People believe it because its simple. I just want to point out that this simplistic logic can be used with even more force against the government, that has been deregulated continuously since its inception.
Things that are so interesting:

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:56:00 AM
At 10/12/2010 6:31:54 AM, Sieben wrote:
The way I see it, the regulation of the private sector is the deregulation of the public sector,

and deregulation is always bad according to mainstream logic.

One of these Two have got to go... Equivocator!

The Mainstream sense of "regulation" IS Government Regulation. (not Regulation OF govt... Regulation BY govt.)

and, as you're saying what de/regulation is "to the mainstream logic"... You HAVE TO be working with THEIR notion of "Regulation"

so... regulating the Private sector DOESN'T de-regulate the Govt... if the gov't is acting within it's current regulations...

and the Govt's Regulating things STILL wouldn't be De-regulating Themselves EVEN IF they were Going BEYOND what the Regulations on Govt. allow... they'd just be Acting In Breach of those Regulations.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."