Total Posts:141|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Guns save lives.

Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Mr_Anderson
Posts: 116
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 1:37:35 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I'm not trying to be mean/condescending, but don't expect to get anywhere with anti-gunners unless you can get them out to a gun range. Until you can show them for themselves what guns are and aren't, proper vocabulary and mechanical design, they won't ever change their minds. That's been my experience.
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 2:51:03 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Don't worry I heard that before.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
mc9
Posts: 1,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 4:39:01 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I will say that you are right but we do need background checks to make sure they only get in the hands of law abiding citizens.
lotsoffun
Posts: 1,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 4:55:19 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.
Mr_Anderson
Posts: 116
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 5:28:27 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 4:55:19 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.

Thanks to our prison system that basically breeds criminals.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 8:18:41 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 5:28:27 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
At 12/25/2015 4:55:19 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.

Thanks to our prison system that basically breeds criminals.

Care to explain this?
My work here is, finally, done.
Mr_Anderson
Posts: 116
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 5:27:15 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 8:18:41 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 12/25/2015 5:28:27 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
At 12/25/2015 4:55:19 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.

Thanks to our prison system that basically breeds criminals.

Care to explain this?

I'm going to be brief right as of now, I'll go more into it later. But basically, prison environments aren't conducive to rehabilitating prisoners.

http://www.cbsnews.com...

http://theweek.com...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 6:28:37 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 5:27:15 PM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
At 12/25/2015 8:18:41 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 12/25/2015 5:28:27 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
At 12/25/2015 4:55:19 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.

Thanks to our prison system that basically breeds criminals.

Care to explain this?

I'm going to be brief right as of now, I'll go more into it later. But basically, prison environments aren't conducive to rehabilitating prisoners.

http://www.cbsnews.com...

http://theweek.com...

Yeah......doesn't really answer how prison (or jail, I assume you are combining the two) are "breeding" prisoners. If you are in prison, you are already a criminal, so I am not sure how they are bred while there.

Further, recidivism rates are hard to parse; they do not do them very often, and they seem to not separate WHY people are back in jail, only that they are. So, when talking about "breeding" criminals, you need to make sure the reason these people are back in jail is because they committed NEW crimes, and not just talked to an old friend (yes, that can literally land you in jail).
Further, they show a correlation, and never address why recidivism is high. Did you know that the more serious the crime, the less the recidivism rate is?
My work here is, finally, done.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 6:43:54 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

Picking out a couple incidents where a gun was used in a robbery is not great evidence for the statement. Guns are used to kill very often, right? Is that in dispute? So, showing some halted robbery is not impressive to me.

Keep your guns if you like. Just stop trying to convince me that its not more about your out of control fear than some wonder device that makes the world a better place.
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 7:00:56 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 6:43:54 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

Picking out a couple incidents where a gun was used in a robbery is not great evidence for the statement. Guns are used to kill very often, right? Is that in dispute? So, showing some halted robbery is not impressive to me.

Keep your guns if you like. Just stop trying to convince me that its not more about your out of control fear than some wonder device that makes the world a better place.

Am I fearful for wearing a seatbelt? Do I expect a car crash?

Am I fearful for having a fire extinguisher? Do I expect a house fire?

Am I fearful for having insurance? Do I expect that I'll need it someday?

Am I fearful for looking both ways before crossing the street? Do I expect that someone might run me over?

Am I fearful for owning a gun? Do I expect that I might be robbed or assaulted?
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
mc9
Posts: 1,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 7:06:07 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 4:55:19 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.

Good point
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 7:20:09 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 7:00:56 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 6:43:54 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

Picking out a couple incidents where a gun was used in a robbery is not great evidence for the statement. Guns are used to kill very often, right? Is that in dispute? So, showing some halted robbery is not impressive to me.

Keep your guns if you like. Just stop trying to convince me that its not more about your out of control fear than some wonder device that makes the world a better place.

Am I fearful for wearing a seatbelt? Do I expect a car crash?

Am I fearful for having a fire extinguisher? Do I expect a house fire?

Am I fearful for having insurance? Do I expect that I'll need it someday?

Am I fearful for looking both ways before crossing the street? Do I expect that someone might run me over?

Am I fearful for owning a gun? Do I expect that I might be robbed or assaulted?

Yea you are terrified. That makes me a little sad, but... Well, sorry you have to suffer so.
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 7:33:09 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 7:20:09 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:00:56 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 6:43:54 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

Picking out a couple incidents where a gun was used in a robbery is not great evidence for the statement. Guns are used to kill very often, right? Is that in dispute? So, showing some halted robbery is not impressive to me.

Keep your guns if you like. Just stop trying to convince me that its not more about your out of control fear than some wonder device that makes the world a better place.

Am I fearful for wearing a seatbelt? Do I expect a car crash?

Am I fearful for having a fire extinguisher? Do I expect a house fire?

Am I fearful for having insurance? Do I expect that I'll need it someday?

Am I fearful for looking both ways before crossing the street? Do I expect that someone might run me over?

Am I fearful for owning a gun? Do I expect that I might be robbed or assaulted?

Yea you are terrified. That makes me a little sad, but... Well, sorry you have to suffer so.
Wait, why am I terrified?

BTW, I thought this was interesting.
https://m.youtube.com...
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 7:37:30 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 7:33:09 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:20:09 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:00:56 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 6:43:54 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

Picking out a couple incidents where a gun was used in a robbery is not great evidence for the statement. Guns are used to kill very often, right? Is that in dispute? So, showing some halted robbery is not impressive to me.

Keep your guns if you like. Just stop trying to convince me that its not more about your out of control fear than some wonder device that makes the world a better place.

Am I fearful for wearing a seatbelt? Do I expect a car crash?

Am I fearful for having a fire extinguisher? Do I expect a house fire?

Am I fearful for having insurance? Do I expect that I'll need it someday?

Am I fearful for looking both ways before crossing the street? Do I expect that someone might run me over?

Am I fearful for owning a gun? Do I expect that I might be robbed or assaulted?

Yea you are terrified. That makes me a little sad, but... Well, sorry you have to suffer so.
Wait, why am I terrified?

BTW, I thought this was interesting.
https://m.youtube.com...

Keeping a gun for hunting, or target practice, well that seems like a choice. Having a gun around to play Rambo when the bad guy breaks into your house, or active shooter at the mall, well you are operating from a place of fear.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 7:41:41 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
As to your video.

1) I have no interest in banning guns. My intent is to change people's minds.

2) Yea, the police should NOT use assault rifles in common practice, neither should individuals.

3) I could care less what the strawman of "gun control" people is. When we talk gun control rationally, it will need to be Gun-supporters that choose to introduce and push for the legislation, not the "anti-gun" crowd. In other words, get your own house in order.
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 9:43:48 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 7:37:30 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:33:09 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:20:09 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:00:56 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 6:43:54 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

Picking out a couple incidents where a gun was used in a robbery is not great evidence for the statement. Guns are used to kill very often, right? Is that in dispute? So, showing some halted robbery is not impressive to me.

Keep your guns if you like. Just stop trying to convince me that its not more about your out of control fear than some wonder device that makes the world a better place.

Am I fearful for wearing a seatbelt? Do I expect a car crash?

Am I fearful for having a fire extinguisher? Do I expect a house fire?

Am I fearful for having insurance? Do I expect that I'll need it someday?

Am I fearful for looking both ways before crossing the street? Do I expect that someone might run me over?

Am I fearful for owning a gun? Do I expect that I might be robbed or assaulted?

Yea you are terrified. That makes me a little sad, but... Well, sorry you have to suffer so.
Wait, why am I terrified?

BTW, I thought this was interesting.
https://m.youtube.com...

Keeping a gun for hunting, or target practice, well that seems like a choice. Having a gun around to play Rambo when the bad guy breaks into your house, or active shooter at the mall, well you are operating from a place of fear.

First place I don't play Rambo. I don't seek a fight, I want to win a fight if it comes to me.

Second, shootings happen anywhere-- no, check that-- gun free zones. Take a look at San Bernardino. Had someone been armed and trained there things could've been different. Plus how many home invasions happened this year? Way more then house fires or even car crashes. So it's actually statistically hypocritical to say that "you should always wear a seatbelt" and at the same time say "you never need a gun for defense". Just remember when seconds count, the police are just minutes and sometimes hours away. If you ever had to call an ambulance you'll know first hand that they are never quick enough for you. There always a couple of minutes away.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 9:46:09 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 7:41:41 PM, TBR wrote:
As to your video.

1) I have no interest in banning guns. My intent is to change people's minds.

2) Yea, the police should NOT use assault rifles in common practice, neither should individuals.

3) I could care less what the strawman of "gun control" people is. When we talk gun control rationally, it will need to be Gun-supporters that choose to introduce and push for the legislation, not the "anti-gun" crowd. In other words, get your own house in order.
But it's already in order. Let the security detail that protects Obama get rid of their guns first.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 9:54:41 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
But it's already in order. Let the security detail that protects Obama get rid of their guns first.

Why?

Look. Obama (any president) is actually under threat. You are not under the same intense threat. I say again, you are terrified of something that is highly unlikely.
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 9:55:15 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Here's a video proving my point that the police are the great majority of the time to late to defend you.

https://m.youtube.com...
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 9:58:26 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 9:54:41 PM, TBR wrote:
But it's already in order. Let the security detail that protects Obama get rid of their guns first.

Why?

Look. Obama (any president) is actually under threat. You are not under the same intense threat. I say again, you are terrified of something that is highly unlikely.

Unlikely to happen eh?

http://www.bjs.gov...
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 10:02:32 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Here's another article.

https://www.fbi.gov...

Though I think you're talking out both sides of your mouth. You'll say that the crime rate is high and therefore we should ban guns or at least restrict them. But then you turn around and say that the law abiding citizen doesn't need one because of the low crime rate.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 4:47:07 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Here's another video I find interesting. It has a few inappropriate words and one cuss word but the core message is sound.

https://m.youtube.com...
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
mc9
Posts: 1,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 4:54:13 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 9:43:48 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:37:30 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:33:09 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:20:09 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 7:00:56 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 6:43:54 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/25/2015 12:50:25 AM, Maccabee wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

Picking out a couple incidents where a gun was used in a robbery is not great evidence for the statement. Guns are used to kill very often, right? Is that in dispute? So, showing some halted robbery is not impressive to me.

Keep your guns if you like. Just stop trying to convince me that its not more about your out of control fear than some wonder device that makes the world a better place.

Am I fearful for wearing a seatbelt? Do I expect a car crash?

Am I fearful for having a fire extinguisher? Do I expect a house fire?

Am I fearful for having insurance? Do I expect that I'll need it someday?

Am I fearful for looking both ways before crossing the street? Do I expect that someone might run me over?

Am I fearful for owning a gun? Do I expect that I might be robbed or assaulted?

Yea you are terrified. That makes me a little sad, but... Well, sorry you have to suffer so.
Wait, why am I terrified?

BTW, I thought this was interesting.
https://m.youtube.com...

Keeping a gun for hunting, or target practice, well that seems like a choice. Having a gun around to play Rambo when the bad guy breaks into your house, or active shooter at the mall, well you are operating from a place of fear.

First place I don't play Rambo. I don't seek a fight, I want to win a fight if it comes to me.

Second, shootings happen anywhere-- no, check that-- gun free zones. Take a look at San Bernardino. Had someone been armed and trained there things could've been different. Plus how many home invasions happened this year? Way more then house fires or even car crashes. So it's actually statistically hypocritical to say that "you should always wear a seatbelt"

Source?
and at the same time say "you never need a gun for defense". Just remember when seconds count, the police are just minutes and sometimes hours away. If you ever had to call an ambulance you'll know first hand that they are never quick enough for you. There always a couple of minutes away.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 7:38:27 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 9:58:26 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 9:54:41 PM, TBR wrote:
But it's already in order. Let the security detail that protects Obama get rid of their guns first.

Why?

Look. Obama (any president) is actually under threat. You are not under the same intense threat. I say again, you are terrified of something that is highly unlikely.

Unlikely to happen eh?

http://www.bjs.gov...

You should read this article.
http://www.justfacts.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 11:52:05 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.

Thanks to our prison system that basically breeds criminals.

Care to explain this?

I'm going to be brief right as of now, I'll go more into it later. But basically, prison environments aren't conducive to rehabilitating prisoners.

http://www.cbsnews.com...

http://theweek.com...

Yeah......doesn't really answer how prison (or jail, I assume you are combining the two) are "breeding" prisoners. If you are in prison, you are already a criminal, so I am not sure how they are bred while there.

Further, recidivism rates are hard to parse; they do not do them very often, and they seem to not separate WHY people are back in jail, only that they are. So, when talking about "breeding" criminals, you need to make sure the reason these people are back in jail is because they committed NEW crimes, and not just talked to an old friend (yes, that can literally land you in jail).

If you are stuck in a pen with other people whom share your mentality regarding the law, and making a buck, a group of people whom also have different skill sets, it stands to reason you might learn those skill sets. As a for instance, one variety of dealer could gain contacts to better legal resources, more supply routes, different drugs, etc. A strong arm robber might learn tips and tricks from some one more desirous of B and E, as well as how to disarm or circumnavigate defense systems, or simply learn the efficiency to get in and out before real investigation could be done.

Further, they show a correlation, and never address why recidivism is high. Did you know that the more serious the crime, the less the recidivism rate is?

I can imagine the "repeat offenders" for serial murder are indeed pretty low. I am not confident that is because of "rehabilitation", though.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 12:07:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/26/2015 11:52:05 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
This is a video proving that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives. Don't worry there's no blood in it.

https://m.youtube.com...

This is more of a reflection on violent American society than anything else. Toronto, a major Canadian city of 3 million has anywhere between 45 to 70 murders a year, mostly black on black gang crime. American city murder rates are astronomically higher.

Thanks to our prison system that basically breeds criminals.

Care to explain this?

I'm going to be brief right as of now, I'll go more into it later. But basically, prison environments aren't conducive to rehabilitating prisoners.

http://www.cbsnews.com...

http://theweek.com...

Yeah......doesn't really answer how prison (or jail, I assume you are combining the two) are "breeding" prisoners. If you are in prison, you are already a criminal, so I am not sure how they are bred while there.

Further, recidivism rates are hard to parse; they do not do them very often, and they seem to not separate WHY people are back in jail, only that they are. So, when talking about "breeding" criminals, you need to make sure the reason these people are back in jail is because they committed NEW crimes, and not just talked to an old friend (yes, that can literally land you in jail).

If you are stuck in a pen with other people whom share your mentality regarding the law, and making a buck, a group of people whom also have different skill sets, it stands to reason you might learn those skill sets. As a for instance, one variety of dealer could gain contacts to better legal resources, more supply routes, different drugs, etc. A strong arm robber might learn tips and tricks from some one more desirous of B and E, as well as how to disarm or circumnavigate defense systems, or simply learn the efficiency to get in and out before real investigation could be done.

Ah.....while this is likely true in some cases, we don't know, do we.
In fact, we don't know why the people are back in. Is the rapist raping again, or did he get into a fight? Did the drug dealer continue to sell drugs, or was he caught drinking?

In fact, are these studies regarding prisoners, or jailbirds? I often hear probation violation, but never parole. So, I don't know if people are misusing the term, or if I am wrong, but to my knowledge, people who go to prison do not have probation.

Further, they show a correlation, and never address why recidivism is high. Did you know that the more serious the crime, the less the recidivism rate is?

I can imagine the "repeat offenders" for serial murder are indeed pretty low. I am not confident that is because of "rehabilitation", though.

How do you rehabilitate greed (drug dealer) and/or desperation (most property offenses). I would really like to know why criminals are back in jail. Like I said, if it is for new and similar crimes, that is different than a probation violation, which is different than new types of crimes (especially if it is money related).

I've never understood the rehabilitation argument. I think the vast majority of people are similar in their view of the law - follow it, unless you can justify not doing so. Rehabilitation really, in my opinion, as I understand the term, is only likely to help those that need help, like maybe, anger management or AA.
My work here is, finally, done.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 8:57:18 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/25/2015 9:58:26 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 12/25/2015 9:54:41 PM, TBR wrote:
But it's already in order. Let the security detail that protects Obama get rid of their guns first.

Why?

Look. Obama (any president) is actually under threat. You are not under the same intense threat. I say again, you are terrified of something that is highly unlikely.

Unlikely to happen eh?

http://www.bjs.gov...

Yea, unlikely. Look at the stats all you like - we live in a very safe country. Now, Obama (our president) will be under much more intense threat than you, right?

Don't be a coward. Stop living in fear.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 9:00:56 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Obviously guns save life's, and obviously they kill. I don't think any intelligent person will dispute either assertion