Jump to topic:

Honoring the Moroccan King Who Saved the Jews

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 7:39:10 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
- With all the unfortunate hate & bashing going on these holidays, supposed to bring joy & celebration to the people, I thought I'd offer something hopeful to alleviate the gloomy atmosphere:

The Institute for World Jewish Studies honours the Moroccan King who saved his Jewish subject from French & Nazi forces:

"The ceremony, organized by The Institute for World Jewish Studies, celebrated the creation of The Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. " Rabbi Abraham Heschel Award and its first recipient, the late King Mohammed V of Morocco, who protected the country"s 250,000 Jews from the occupying Vichy French forces and the Nazis during World War II. In the early 1940s, Morocco was still a French protectorate controlled by the pro-Vichy government. When, in 1941, the occupying forces attempted to enact legislation discriminating against Jews, the king " only 32 at the time " refused. "There are no Jews in Morocco, only subjects," Mohammed V reportedly said. "Thanks to the strong decision of the sovereign, [the] Moroccan Jewish community was neither detained nor deported or murdered in concentration camps," said Serge Berdugo, secretary general of the Jewish communities of Morocco and ambassador-at-large. "All Moroccans, Jews or Muslims, enjoyed his full protection."

- Andre Azoulay, a Jewish advisor to the current king of Morocco, read out an official speech on his behalf: 'Today, we need, more than ever, to ponder the lessons and relevance of this part of history in order to stand up more forcefully to the deadly aberrations of those who are hijacking our cultures, our faiths and our civilizations. We are living at a time and in a world in which the collective imagination of our societies is too often impaired, not to say poisoned, by regression and archaism. By capitalizing on the depth and resilience of the legacy left by my revered grandfather His Majesty Mohammed V, we can, together, set out to recover the lost expanses of reason and mutual respect which have vanished from many parts of the world.' "

(http://forward.com...)
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 9:23:34 PM
At 12/28/2015 7:39:10 PM, Yassine wrote:
- With all the unfortunate hate & bashing going on these holidays, supposed to bring joy & celebration to the people, I thought I'd offer something hopeful to alleviate the gloomy atmosphere:

The Institute for World Jewish Studies honours the Moroccan King who saved his Jewish subject from French & Nazi forces:

"The ceremony, organized by The Institute for World Jewish Studies, celebrated the creation of The Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. " Rabbi Abraham Heschel Award and its first recipient, the late King Mohammed V of Morocco, who protected the country"s 250,000 Jews from the occupying Vichy French forces and the Nazis during World War II. In the early 1940s, Morocco was still a French protectorate controlled by the pro-Vichy government. When, in 1941, the occupying forces attempted to enact legislation discriminating against Jews, the king " only 32 at the time " refused. "There are no Jews in Morocco, only subjects," Mohammed V reportedly said. "Thanks to the strong decision of the sovereign, [the] Moroccan Jewish community was neither detained nor deported or murdered in concentration camps," said Serge Berdugo, secretary general of the Jewish communities of Morocco and ambassador-at-large. "All Moroccans, Jews or Muslims, enjoyed his full protection."

- Andre Azoulay, a Jewish advisor to the current king of Morocco, read out an official speech on his behalf: 'Today, we need, more than ever, to ponder the lessons and relevance of this part of history in order to stand up more forcefully to the deadly aberrations of those who are hijacking our cultures, our faiths and our civilizations. We are living at a time and in a world in which the collective imagination of our societies is too often impaired, not to say poisoned, by regression and archaism. By capitalizing on the depth and resilience of the legacy left by my revered grandfather His Majesty Mohammed V, we can, together, set out to recover the lost expanses of reason and mutual respect which have vanished from many parts of the world.' "

Things like this are why I think that monarchic elements are important. It takes character to stand up to immense pressure to do something which you know is terrible and unjust. Monarchies were, by their nature, opposed to the sort of populism and scapegoating that Nazism made such extensive use of. The idea of one exceptional person who embodies strength, and is steeped in the tradition of a nation shines a light on the madness at the heart of Nazism: the idea of the reclamation of a fictionalized, glorious past in a manner which is utterly transformative. These societal institutions which are set up to oppose wanton change and to anchor a society in tradition are in natural opposition to that sort of thing.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 9:43:31 PM
At 12/28/2015 9:23:34 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Things like this are why I think that monarchic elements are important. It takes character to stand up to immense pressure to do something which you know is terrible and unjust. Monarchies were, by their nature, opposed to the sort of populism and scapegoating that Nazism made such extensive use of. The idea of one exceptional person who embodies strength, and is steeped in the tradition of a nation shines a light on the madness at the heart of Nazism: the idea of the reclamation of a fictionalized, glorious past in a manner which is utterly transformative. These societal institutions which are set up to oppose wanton change and to anchor a society in tradition are in natural opposition to that sort of thing.

- I appreciate the expressiveness of your response. I sometimes prefer monarchies over republics. In a monarchy, the head of state is guaranteed in position, no nasty politics & bureaucracy every 2 years of each 4. Big governmental projects that take decades to accomplish aren't contingent on which party governs or which president won the votes. Old monarchies don't feel the need to secure their future, they don't experience sudden rise to power which often leads to corruption & embezzlement. Kings are raised from a very young age to lead, its their duty & their destiny. Kings can have the power to make actual changes in the system if need be (hopefully good changes), as opposed to leaders of a republic, who are crippled & restrained by the system. Good kings are loved by the people, which eliminates the chances of there being inter-conflicts or revolts & such, or even foreign control....etc.
Current Debates:

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 9:50:49 PM
At 12/28/2015 7:39:10 PM, Yassine wrote:

Well thats inspiring.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 9:51:38 PM
At 12/28/2015 9:43:31 PM, Yassine wrote:
At 12/28/2015 9:23:34 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

- I appreciate the expressiveness of your response. I sometimes prefer monarchies over republics. In a monarchy, the head of state is guaranteed in position, no nasty politics & bureaucracy every 2 years of each 4. Big governmental projects that take decades to accomplish aren't contingent on which party governs or which president won the votes. Old monarchies don't feel the need to secure their future, they don't experience sudden rise to power which often leads to corruption & embezzlement. Kings are raised from a very young age to lead, its their duty & their destiny. Kings can have the power to make actual changes in the system if need be (hopefully good changes), as opposed to leaders of a republic, who are crippled & restrained by the system. Good kings are loved by the people, which eliminates the chances of there being inter-conflicts or revolts & such, or even foreign control....etc.

I like Machiavelli's vision of a Republic, which incorporates a monarchy, an aristocracy, and democratic elements into one system, similar to that used by the Roman Republic. His works actually heavily influence the Founding Fathers of America, but they cut out most of his monarchic recommendations because they were understandably sour on the idea after dealing with George III, and also dispensed with considerations of class due to the egalitarian philosophies which they held to. Good kings are good while they're good, but that only lasts so long, and removing them is painful for everyone.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 10:02:46 PM
At 12/28/2015 9:51:38 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I like Machiavelli's vision of a Republic, which incorporates a monarchy, an aristocracy, and democratic elements into one system, similar to that used by the Roman Republic. His works actually heavily influence the Founding Fathers of America, but they cut out most of his monarchic recommendations because they were understandably sour on the idea after dealing with George III, and also dispensed with considerations of class due to the egalitarian philosophies which they held to.

- Equality is true so long as the inequalities are omitted.

Good kings are good while they're good, but that only lasts so long, and removing them is painful for everyone.

- True. Monarchies also have their drawbacks. Getting rid of a bad president may only take some slight waiting, until the next one comes. Getting rid of a king may take a lifetime of waiting, by then God know what'll happen to the nation. Other options are even worse.
Current Debates: