Jump to topic:

New Era of Politics; A Rant

TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 12:35:39 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Politics in America can be described using this metaphor: "Sh!t hit the fan." Sh!t = Politics. Fan = Republicans (those on the far right, I respect the center right and moderates in the modern day and of old). Before you read these first few sentences and start calling me a "bigoted and hateful" liberal or neo-Marxist, please take a moment and read what I have to say. The far right is what is wrong with America, and in other places in the world. Donald Trump has been making an appeal to fear in the states to rally support behind his cause. Marine Le Pen is using thinly veiled xenophobia to climb her way to the top of the political crowd in France. Is this really how far we have descended? How can we call ourselves a democratic and accepting culture, when those who would be our political leaders and those in political office support things such as xenophobia, racial discrimination, religious bigotry, and paranoia on a vast scale. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we ("The Sane Ones") try to get people to understand the current predicament, they seem drawn to the raucous nature of the far right. Here's a breakdown of what makes the far right a plague to politics. In other words, here is my crazy left wing liberal nazi strategum and completely made up Marxist propaganda against the right wing.

Propaganda, Part 1: Tax cuts. What drives the right to tax cuts??? One might be forced to sit and consider this process in which the right decides they need to cut taxes. I will make it simple. Let's just say Richie Rich was in fact a narcissistic little selfish brat, and he wanted to do his fellow rich kid buddies a solid. First, he would go seek out a nation to start a war with. One that does not necessarily need to be conquered. Secondly, Richie Rich the selfish brat would spend trillions of dollars in a war for no reason. Then, he would cut necessary programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security to pay for the war. Lastly, with those essential, albeit costly, programs out of the way, he would give a gift to the people by lowering taxes, which is what everybody wants to hear, but furthers the agenda of the top 1% earners who have been in on the plot all along. You should now thank me for lifting the fog that the right may have placed upon your minds in relation to tax cuts. More propaganda to follow.

Propaganda, Part 2: Religion and ethnicity. There is one thing that all far right fascist populists have in common, they have a united hatred for one religion of a billion plus people because of the actions of a few members of that religion. Then they stir up a bunch of paranoia about terrorism in the media and that soon becomes the only focus of interviews and debates, with domestic and other foreign policies never being mentioned or talked about. In all honesty, you have more chance of having your roof blown off of your head right now and being smote by an ethereal deity with a bolt of lightning than being the victim of Islamic extremism. If you are so afraid of terrorism and think it is a real threat to those around you, then turn in your car keys, because the odds are you will die driving or riding in a car tomorrow. This does not mean that the past terrorist attacks throughout the world are not to be met with confrontation, or that the significance and loss of these events should be disregarded. Instead, we should make it a focus to not let paranoia get in the way of our international endeavors and acceptance in our own country. It is the focal point of the right to feed off of paranoia and make their campaigns and ideals focused on one religion or race. It has been for a long time.

This is all I have right now, and I hope that some Republicans come and say that I am a communist and Marxist who is misguided and should be schooled on international and domestic affairs. Please, amuse me. If you are a center-right or moderate Republican, I love you. Do not go off of the right deep end.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 12:37:06 AM
And if any of you try to derail this thread by throwing insults at me, I will ignore you and have the audacity to continue to listen to my Mozart and Tchaikovsky.

Epic Quotes:

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 12:43:35 AM
At 12/29/2015 12:37:06 AM, TheProphett wrote:
And if any of you try to derail this thread by throwing insults at me, I will ignore you and have the audacity to continue to listen to my Mozart and Tchaikovsky.

Apathy caused all those problems, not Richie Rich.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:32:50 AM
One thing driving many of Trump's supporters is that they are reactionaries against the demographic trend of America becoming less white. And it isn't just statistics on what percentage of Americans are black or white or native American; minorities are experiencing greater representation on television and in movies. Basically America is changing and this change is being broadcasted everywhere. Many, many white Americans are growing increasingly uncomfortable with this growing trend. With an increase in the number of Muslims in their local communities they fear that the risk of being subjected to a terrorist attack has drastically increased, and seeing the constant media coverage of Islamic extremists isn't helping anything. Also, they see the Hispanic population as consisting mainly of criminals (which isn't really all that far removed from what the crime statistics say), and they feel that a person who would violate our immigration laws is an inherently criminal and untrustworthy person.
Basically this demographic trend has made many whites feel as though they are being increasingly surrounded by thugs and potential terrorists anytime they go out in public. And they want the Government to protect them from this alleged threat.
This is why Trump has garnered so much support; he's more or less promising them to drive out and/or heavily monitor and regulate all those dangerous scary people. Basically they don't want him to make America great again so much as they want him to make America safe again.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:40:05 AM
At 12/29/2015 12:35:39 AM, TheProphett wrote:
Politics in America can be described using this metaphor: "Sh!t hit the fan." Sh!t = Politics. Fan = Republicans (those on the far right, I respect the center right and moderates in the modern day and of old). Before you read these first few sentences and start calling me a "bigoted and hateful" liberal or neo-Marxist, please take a moment and read what I have to say. The far right is what is wrong with America, and in other places in the world.

Far right crazies do not equate to the entire Republican party or their entire base. The two party system in America baffles me, as it continues to let both parties be represented by their most radical members [ie Trump], and this drowns out the moderate conservatives/liberals who generally have some pretty noteworthy stuff to say.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:26:03 AM
Politics in America can be described using this metaphor: "Sh!t hit the fan." Sh!t = Politics. Fan = Republicans (those on the far right, I respect the center right and moderates in the modern day and of old). Before you read these first few sentences and start calling me a "bigoted and hateful" liberal or neo-Marxist, please take a moment and read what I have to say. The far right is what is wrong with America, and in other places in the world. Donald Trump has been making an appeal to fear in the states to rally support behind his cause. Marine Le Pen is using thinly veiled xenophobia to climb her way to the top of the political crowd in France. Is this really how far we have descended? How can we call ourselves a democratic and accepting culture, when those who would be our political leaders and those in political office support things such as xenophobia, racial discrimination, religious bigotry, and paranoia on a vast scale. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we ("The Sane Ones") try to get people to understand the current predicament, they seem drawn to the raucous nature of the far right. Here's a breakdown of what makes the far right a plague to politics. In other words, here is my crazy left wing liberal nazi strategum and completely made up Marxist propaganda against the right wing.

Propaganda, Part 1: Tax cuts. What drives the right to tax cuts??? One might be forced to sit and consider this process in which the right decides they need to cut taxes. I will make it simple. Let's just say Richie Rich was in fact a narcissistic little selfish brat, and he wanted to do his fellow rich kid buddies a solid. First, he would go seek out a nation to start a war with. One that does not necessarily need to be conquered. Secondly, Richie Rich the selfish brat would spend trillions of dollars in a war for no reason. Then, he would cut necessary programs such as Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security to pay for the war. Lastly, with those essential, albeit costly, programs out of the way, he would give a gift to the people by lowering taxes, which is what everybody wants to hear, but furthers the agenda of the top 1% earners who have been in on the plot all along. You should now thank me for lifting the fog that the right may have placed upon your minds in relation to tax cuts. More propaganda to follow.

Propaganda, Part 2: Religion and ethnicity. There is one thing that all far right fascist populists have in common, they have a united hatred for one religion of a billion plus people because of the actions of a few members of that religion. Then they stir up a bunch of paranoia about terrorism in the media and that soon becomes the only focus of interviews and debates, with domestic and other foreign policies never being mentioned or talked about. In all honesty, you have more chance of having your roof blown off of your head right now and being smote by an ethereal deity with a bolt of lightning than being the victim of Islamic extremism. If you are so afraid of terrorism and think it is a real threat to those around you, then turn in your car keys, because the odds are you will die driving or riding in a car tomorrow. This does not mean that the past terrorist attacks throughout the world are not to be met with confrontation, or that the significance and loss of these events should be disregarded. Instead, we should make it a focus to not let paranoia get in the way of our international endeavors and acceptance in our own country. It is the focal point of the right to feed off of paranoia and make their campaigns and ideals focused on one religion or race. It has been for a long time.

This is all I have right now, and I hope that some Republicans come and say that I am a communist and Marxist who is misguided and should be schooled on international and domestic affairs. Please, amuse me. If you are a center-right or moderate Republican, I love you. Do not go off of the right deep end.

It seems like all the liberals in the United States have the same buzzwords and talking points, are you all on a mailing list or something? Anyways, all jokes aside this post is incorrect, even those the left attempts to paint as "far right crazies" in America are on the moderate right of the political spectrum. Donald Trump may be radical in how he wants to implement his policies, but none of them are inherently far right or radical, and neither are the policies of any mainstream right wing politician in the US or the west in general. There is this sentiment among the left that is completely unfounded that we have been moving further to the right in recent history when if we just look to the civil rights movement and the great society, its clear that the last 50 years have been shifting further left, in some instances for better (some aspects of the civil rights movement) and some for worse (great society). Lets actually address the merits of each issue and the underlying value debate, not attempt to discredit our opponents. I don't try to discredit the left by saying you are all Marxist pacifists that want to see the destruction of our country, I don't even think Bernie Sanders is radical, the two mainstream parties in the US are moderate, there is nothing wrong with that. Additionally, when discussing the threat of radical islam, the proportionality of its threat to the west doesn't matter in principle, in principle defending yourself against aggression is an absolute good whether it be minimal aggression of significant aggression. If someone is weak and tries to attack me vs someone who is strong and tries to attack me, I am equally just in both situations to fight back, intent matters most. What I don't want to do is let the attacks of the weak go unanswered so that when they do become strong, I have to deal with a significant threat. As political and social theorist Machiavelli said, if you are going to injure your enemy, do it so gravely that they cannot fight back.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:29:38 AM

Also this entire talking point is ridiculous, I was going to refrain from seriously insulting you but there is no other word for it except that you are completely incorrect in your assessment of the Republican's policies on tax cuts and foreign policy. I would love to have a formal debate with you,The American Right v. The American Left. How about it?

TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:36:03 AM
At 12/29/2015 2:29:38 AM, Objectivity wrote:

Also this entire talking point is ridiculous, I was going to refrain from seriously insulting you but there is no other word for it except that you are completely incorrect in your assessment of the Republican's policies on tax cuts and foreign policy. I would love to have a formal debate with you,The American Right v. The American Left. How about it?

I don't know. The guilt of beating you senseless with liberal might would be overwhelming. Maybe we could a couple weeks forward, I've got some debates at the present to attend to. I will get in contact soon though. Until then, keep on believing ;P

Epic Quotes:

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:43:38 AM
At 12/29/2015 2:36:03 AM, TheProphett wrote:

I don't know. The guilt of beating you senseless with liberal might would be overwhelming. Maybe we could a couple weeks forward, I've got some debates at the present to attend to. I will get in contact soon though. Until then, keep on believing ;P

I look forward to it
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:28:07 AM

I completely disagree with you.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:52:42 AM

Lumping Le Pen in with the American right is either born out of dishonesty, or gross ignorance of French politics. Le Pen's positions would put her firmly in the ranks of the 'moderate Republicans' whom you claim to respect, perhaps even to the left of them.

As for the rest, the left needs to be held culpable as well. Leftist campus groups are engaging in activity which is more reminiscent of brownshirt tactics than anything that I've seen from the right. But, ultimately, the political situation in America is sh!t because the vast majority of the people in America are sh!t (on an intellectual level). The left and the right get away with murder because everyone is too preoccupied with sports, or the latest TV series, or video games, or the million other little glass teats that the average American is surrounded by. Very few people stop and examine the political system in any sort of thorough manner. Americans treat politics just like sports: root for your home team, wear the colors, repeat the slogans, and vote, vote, vote!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:04:53 AM
At 12/29/2015 2:26:03 AM, Objectivity wrote:
Donald Trump may be radical in how he wants to implement his policies, but none of them are inherently far right or radical, and neither are the policies of any mainstream right wing politician in the US or the west in general.

They're borderline fascist. How is that NOT radical?

There is this sentiment among the left that is completely unfounded that we have been moving further to the right in recent history when if we just look to the civil rights movement and the great society, its clear that the last 50 years have been shifting further left, in some instances for better (some aspects of the civil rights movement) and some for worse (great society).

Out of all of the major democratic countries in the world, the US is arguably the furthest to the right.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:17:04 PM
Politics in America can be described using this metaphor: "Sh!t hit the fan." Sh!t = Politics. Fan = Republicans (those on the far right, I respect the center right and moderates in the modern day and of old).

See, I think you've bought into a false ideology and have become part of the problem yourself. It's a very pervasive yet subtle thing, so you may be excused for this.

The problem is moral relativity and collectivism. You define politics in terms of relationship to the average of collective thought. So moderate is good. Those who don't stray too far from the groupthink, they are good. Center is good. Radical is bad. ISIS is bad. Why? Because they are 'radical' Islam. Conservatives are bad. Why? Because they are 'far' right.

But I wonder - have you ever read a book called 'Great Moderates of History' - ? Were George Washington or Thomas Jefferson moderates? Was Ghandi a moderate, or did he try to overthrow the existing political order? So Ghandi was a radical. Uh oh.

So let me rescue you: The difference between Ghandi and Al Bagdadi is that Ghandi chose peace instead of violence. It's an objective, absolute difference, rather than a matter of how he compared to the mediocre middle. And modern liberals need to be reminded that absolute right and wrong is what matters, not whether one adheres to the groupthink or not. Sometimes the groupthink is wrong. Sometimes the groupthink is badly wrong, and some radical needs to speak truth to power.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:22:37 PM
At 12/29/2015 8:04:53 AM, stealspell wrote:
Donald Trump may be radical in how he wants to implement his policies, but none of them are inherently far right or radical, and neither are the policies of any mainstream right wing politician in the US or the west in general.

They're borderline common sense, is what they are. Which is why he's eating everybody else's lunch.

Who would ever have thought that a candidate would be considered radical for believing a sovereign nation has the right to control immigration? Trump is not that radical guys. It's the two parties that have lost their way.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:27:22 PM

It seems like all the liberals in the United States have the same buzzwords and talking points, are you all on a mailing list or something?

Yeah, I've definitely noticed the same thing.

What is unique about our era is the combination of arrogance and ignorance. I don't suppose we've ever had a generation so poorly educated combined with such a high opinion of their intellectual skills. The latter keeps the former from being corrected.
This space for rent.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 1:35:11 PM
What is really going on is the polarization of politics. People are either going to the far right or the far left. So if you are on the far left, the far right is so far away from you that you and them cannot be on the same side in anything.
These 2 groups have an adversatial relationship. So you think the far right is far wrong.
Now people who are on the far right feel that if you are not right, you are wrong.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:29:01 PM
At 12/29/2015 1:35:11 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
What is really going on is the polarization of politics. People are either going to the far right or the far left. So if you are on the far left, the far right is so far away from you that you and them cannot be on the same side in anything.
These 2 groups have an adversatial relationship. So you think the far right is far wrong.
Now people who are on the far right feel that if you are not right, you are wrong.

Yeah, and I think what the Republicans are unable and/or unwilling to come to grips with is that this means war. Political war, you understand, but war means one side wins and the other loses. America cannot go two polar opposite directions at once - one side must win.

I notice a great irony in American politics: The left is for appeasement abroad, but is willing to fight political war against the GOP. Obama has been relentless and brutal in his attacks on the GOP (and the roughly half of America they represent), but is unwilling to fight enemies foreign. The GOP, which tends to be hawkish with enemies foreign, has tried 7 years of appeasement with their enemies domestic. And the result of this is Donald Trump. My take on Trump is that he is succeeding because he is willing to be a political warrior. It's not so much the grenades he throws as the fact that he's willing to throw grenades at his political rivals, whether it's the RINO class (John McCain) or Hillary Clinton; or issues, like illegal immigration and domestic terrorism. I think the right is simply ready for a politician with a full set of political gonads. Give us somebody who will fight!
This space for rent.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:27:51 PM
Are you for or against tax cuts?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:31:30 PM

Who is the "American left"? Almost every politician standing for the 2016 election from Republican and Democratic parties is right-wing, center-right, moderate, or progressive. I haven't read into Sanders and O'Malley, but I don't think anyone else is in the left.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:41:45 PM
At 12/29/2015 3:27:51 PM, tejretics wrote:

Who is this directed to? I, like the founders, am against taxes. If you're for them, you can pay mine and yours.

Taxes suck. Anyone who says differently is a fool or a liar. Let the Europeans pay them. (Which was the position of the founders, btw - what federal taxes there were came from import duties - analogous to: let Mexico pay for them)
This space for rent.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:45:01 PM
At 12/29/2015 3:41:45 PM, v3nesl wrote:

Who is this directed to?

The OP.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 7:12:36 PM

That's a rather generalized question. I think the tax brackets should emphasize taxation on those who earn the most and lesser the percentages down the income bracket.

Epic Quotes:

DeinFerm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:43:07 PM
Super cool man, finally I found someone who is loosely liberal and talks normal and doesn't resort to vulgarity or defensive.
Not wrong one bit man, the thing people don't get is that there is only one party. Everyone in Washington that have the power to do anything are all playing for the same team. Propaganda is the same thing no matter who uses it, and sadly it works, because the population has been put to sleep. The powers that be have spent decades and uncountable about of money, time, and influence to destroy free thinking. We the few with a mind that will not be silenced are losing the war, and one day the elite few will own every single thing on the entire planet. I belong to no party, I believe in all humans being treated with respect and freedom and the right to life happy.
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 10:25:42 PM
At 12/29/2015 1:22:37 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:04:53 AM, stealspell wrote:

They're borderline common sense, is what they are. Which is why he's eating everybody else's lunch.

The Germans thought Hitler's ideas were common sense too.

Who would ever have thought that a candidate would be considered radical for believing a sovereign nation has the right to control immigration? Trump is not that radical guys. It's the two parties that have lost their way.

Hitler tried to deport millions of Jews as well. When it wasn't possible to do so, guess where they ended up?
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 2:20:50 AM
The Germans did not think that Hitler had common sense.
Hitler became Chancellor because he got 37% of the votes, and that was more than any of the other candidates got. He banned elections before he could get voted out.
If he had common sense he would not have started a war in which new enemies kept joining the other side.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 10:38:16 AM
At 12/29/2015 7:12:36 PM, TheProphett wrote:

That's a rather generalized question. I think the tax brackets should emphasize taxation on those who earn the most and lesser the percentages down the income bracket.

What, in your opinion, would an ideal upper-rate be?
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 3:09:58 PM
At 12/30/2015 2:20:50 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
The Germans did not think that Hitler had common sense.
Hitler became Chancellor because he got 37% of the votes, and that was more than any of the other candidates got. He banned elections before he could get voted out.
If he had common sense he would not have started a war in which new enemies kept joining the other side.

Yeah - when anybody starts comparing anybody to Hitler, it's a pretty reliable sign that they have lost touch with their own common sense. It's a transparent attempt to rally emotion to help where logic won't.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 3:54:31 PM
At 12/29/2015 10:25:42 PM, stealspell wrote:
Hitler tried to deport millions of Jews as well. When it wasn't possible to do so, guess where they ended up?

Many ended up here - designed an atom bomb for us, designed rockets, movies, all sorts of stuff. Thanks, Hitler!

That's why we want to promote immigration. But we want to take people who are good for America. We don't take people just to prove that we're more superiorerer than those wascally wepublicans. That's just stupid.
This space for rent.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 5:04:30 PM

While I disagree with what you say, I do find it interesting to see what the "other side" thinks of the far right.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.