Jump to topic:

Marijuana...

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:16:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The voice of reason has a few new advocates it would seem (on at least one issue). Glen Beck and some other conservatives explain why they support legalizing marijuana:
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:21:51 PM
Marijuana should be legalized immediately to force college liberals to stop using it as the CORE of their political arguments.

Seriously. The way some people talk its like their crowning achievement is to have figured out that MJ should be legal. Its annoying. End the drug war.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:23:18 PM
I saw something on the news (it may have even been Fox now that I think about it) about conservative mothers in support or marijuana legalization. It's just kind of stupid not to be :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:25:39 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:21:51 PM, Sieben wrote:
Marijuana should be legalized immediately to force college liberals to stop using it as the CORE of their political arguments.

Seriously. The way some people talk its like their crowning achievement is to have figured out that MJ should be legal. Its annoying. End the drug war.

Agreed. This is also why so many young people think they're libertarians (they want to "keep the govt. out" if they wanna get high yet they support national health care). In reality even the conservatives should be against criminalized marijuana.
President of DDO
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:30:37 PM

Now is our chance. We just need to push the fascists back far enough so that prop 19 can pass. After that occurs, the drug war won't last that much longer.

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:33:04 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:30:37 PM, Freeman wrote:
Now is our chance. We just need to push the fascists back far enough so that prop 19 can pass. After that occurs, the drug war won't last that much longer.

What are the chances of it succeeding?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:34:12 PM

I don't think they'll legalize hard drugs :(

I also love when people are condescending to those against drug prohibition with the attitude "Oh THAT'S the issue you care about?" Meanwhile, it is an issue that effects so many lives so negatively and is one of the most oppressive, unjust, ineffective and backwards policies. Boo.
President of DDO
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:37:36 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:33:04 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

What are the chances of it succeeding?

Very good. Higher than 50 percent.

I would say around 65 - 35 for it passing (that's probability; not actual polls), according to that data I've looked at.

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:43:55 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:42:31 PM, Sieben wrote:
I can't believe arnold is opposing this bill. He used to smoke a joint every night in his pro days...

How do you know that....

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:46:42 PM
I don't have a URL link. I could look, but you and I have an equal chance of finding one.

My Chiropractor places in the national competitions. He knows all the guys, all the old guys. What drugs they did (anabolic and recreational). Hell, some of the guys even did cocaine to try and jack up their work outs.

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:48:27 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:42:31 PM, Sieben wrote:
I can't believe arnold is opposing this bill. He used to smoke a joint every night in his pro days...

If his governing ability is any indication of the long terms effects it had on him, maybe we shouldn't legalize it after all...
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:51:24 PM
Arnold is a SMART guy with 100x the motivation of even most professional athletes. I would KILL to talk to him for 45 minutes about ANYTHING. He just has the right attitude, the right frame of mind... if any of it rubs off on you, you will succeed at everything you do.

But maybe he's a loser in his old age. Who knows.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:55:50 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:51:24 PM, Sieben wrote:
: Arnold is a SMART guy with 100x the motivation of even most professional athletes. I would KILL to talk to him for 45 minutes about ANYTHING. He just has the right attitude, the right frame of mind... if any of it rubs off on you, you will succeed at everything you do.

Really?????

But maybe he's a loser in his old age. Who knows.

The arguments against legalizing pot are terrible, but emotional based. I hear it all the time, and when i suggest it as a solution there is just an irrational dismissal of it. It's a completely puritanical mindset.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:00:12 PM
The guy was the best in the world at what he did (or close). There were hundreds of dedicated athletes trying their hardest to beat him. He's a miracle in a lot of ways (bodybuilding isn't just physical, not my a long shot).

Don't get me wrong. I'd kick his sorry statist a$$ in a debate without thinking about it. But he is, or was, an incredible person.

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:01:04 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:46:42 PM, Sieben wrote:
I don't have a URL link. I could look, but you and I have an equal chance of finding one.

My Chiropractor places in the national competitions. He knows all the guys, all the old guys. What drugs they did (anabolic and recreational). Hell, some of the guys even did cocaine to try and jack up their work outs.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:15:38 PM
At 10/15/2010 1:16:24 PM, Freeman wrote:
The voice of reason has a few new advocates it would seem (on at least one issue). Glen Beck and some other conservatives explain why they support legalizing marijuana:

They got it all wrong (hang on, let me act surprised). Did you hear why they want to legalize it? So they can regulate it, control it, and tax it, and basically f*ck everything up. By doing this, the US government will be competing with homegrown sellers, which means marijuana laws will still be in effect, which means violence attributed to the sale of narcotics can still be expected, which means nothing has really changed. Why? Because the government wants a huge chunk of that cash cow, selling marijuana under the table means that you aren't paying taxes for it. As we all know, the government doesn't like it when it can't take your money. And if that doesn't concern you, the quality of marijuana might be seriously diminished as a result. Horrible idea, and I knew this sh*t was going to happen had they seriously gotten over their irrational fears about the dreaded and evil bogeyman -- pot.

I want the decriminalization of marijuana. Big difference. I suggest you take another look at this before you fully endorse this.

I'm sure all you're seeing is legal marijuana, but things may actually be better the way it is now, especially in California.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:24:17 PM
Admittedly I didn't watch the video, PL (I know why pot should be legal - I don't need to listen to Beck's annoying voice repeating it). The issue you mentioned is a concern of mine though and should be for everyone. Pot's value is so artificially inflated; it should be worth fractions of pennies considering it's a weed that grows just about anywhere and it's easy to home-grow even if you have to do it in a closet as opposed to outside. However I'm sure with the new laws it will only be okay to buy pot legally and not GROW it, or else many people would just grow it at home or as you mentioned the govt. would compete with home-grown dealers who do not pay taxes on it. This is an issue, though I think if pot were legalized then in time the SOCIAL stigma would go away... and later on the penalties for growing would be next to nothing. I mean people can brew their own alcohol, right?
President of DDO
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:40:02 PM
At 10/15/2010 2:24:17 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Admittedly I didn't watch the video, PL (I know why pot should be legal - I don't need to listen to Beck's annoying voice repeating it). The issue you mentioned is a concern of mine though and should be for everyone. Pot's value is so artificially inflated; it should be worth fractions of pennies considering it's a weed that grows just about anywhere and it's easy to home-grow even if you have to do it in a closet as opposed to outside. However I'm sure with the new laws it will only be okay to buy pot legally and not GROW it, or else many people would just grow it at home or as you mentioned the govt. would compete with home-grown dealers who do not pay taxes on it. This is an issue, though I think if pot were legalized then in time the SOCIAL stigma would go away... and later on the penalties for growing would be next to nothing. I mean people can brew their own alcohol, right?

Actually, it's OK to grow pot too under Prop 19 (up to 25 square ft). Of course, the feds can still prosecute these people, so it all depends on whether or not Obama wants to enforce federal drug laws. He stopped prosecuting medical marijuana providers in states with medical marijuana laws, but he could still choose to disregard Prop 19.
Should we subsidize education?

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:59:45 PM
At 10/15/2010 2:24:17 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Admittedly I didn't watch the video, PL (I know why pot should be legal - I don't need to listen to Beck's annoying voice repeating it). The issue you mentioned is a concern of mine though and should be for everyone. Pot's value is so artificially inflated; it should be worth fractions of pennies considering it's a weed that grows just about anywhere and it's easy to home-grow even if you have to do it in a closet as opposed to outside. However I'm sure with the new laws it will only be okay to buy pot legally and not GROW it, or else many people would just grow it at home or as you mentioned the govt. would compete with home-grown dealers who do not pay taxes on it. This is an issue, though I think if pot were legalized then in time the SOCIAL stigma would go away... and later on the penalties for growing would be next to nothing. I mean people can brew their own alcohol, right?:

I'm really hoping that it's not going to be a big deal and that I'm just being overly-skeptical about it, but if the DEA and ATF is an indication of anything, I'm not so sure I am being completely paranoid.

As for the social stigma, the government did nothing to facilitate that. Society did that, and the government tried to kill it with ridiculous ads ranging from 50's propaganda about marijuana made murders and sex-crazed negro's to the ever-so-hip AbovetheIfluence ads. They just finally capitulated to overwhelming supply and demand.

I want to read the Prop myself to see exactly what is contained therein. Until then, I'm just being vocal about concerns. When I get a chance I'll chime in with my official opinion.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 3:06:36 PM
At 10/15/2010 2:59:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I want to read the Prop myself

www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/pdf/english/text-proposed-laws.pdf
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 5:31:56 PM
I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I don't understand the hubbub over Prop 19. It's a moot law because cannabis is still illegal at the federal lever and Attorney General Holder says that if Prop 19 is passed, the Fed will just up its raids.
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 5:33:11 PM
At 10/15/2010 5:31:56 PM, Steelerman6794 wrote:
I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I don't understand the hubbub over Prop 19. It's a moot law because cannabis is still illegal at the federal level and Attorney General Holder says that if Prop 19 is passed, the Fed will just up its raids.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 6:26:44 PM
At 10/15/2010 6:25:06 PM, Sieben wrote:
Maybe its time to have a E-W civil war instead of a N-S.

No, not war, but secesion.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:08:36 PM
Lol there is a synthetic pot I think its called posh in Wyoming. My dad is convinced that with it and/or pot legalization there will be 12 year olds in gangs tormenting llamas getting all into pot and shooting people or whatever.
He's insane, and I think I'm changing my facebook picture soon lol.

I actually wanted to try it, but I'm not sure about the laws or price. I knew I could get out of the house and buy it if the legality was on my side tho. Maybe next time I'm up there. I know since he got all jackassy he has no control over me anyway.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:43:17 PM
Pot is largely a waste of time. If you want to feel good, you should exercise and become fit. No drug can do that for you.

(Yes, I have smoked pot several times. I smoked pot with Ross Perot's grandson. He had some good sh*t. It was so cash.)

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:46:57 PM
At 10/15/2010 7:43:17 PM, Sieben wrote:
Pot is largely a waste of time. If you want to feel good, you should exercise and become fit. No drug can do that for you.

Steroids? :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:49:41 PM

(Yes, I have smoked pot several times. I smoked pot with Ross Perot's grandson. He had some good sh*t. It was so cash.)

being in good shape and smoking pot aren't mutually exclusive... especially if you don't smoke everyday... why pick one or the other when you can have both??

also i am beginning to think that i may see pot legalized in my lifetime. maybe my sample is biased because i live in sf, but i've never met anyone who thought it should be illegal, even if they didn't smoke it themselves. and now glenn beck? lol. this is heartening. i can't wait til bill o'reilly jumps on the bandwagon!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:56:08 PM
At 10/15/2010 7:49:41 PM, belle wrote:

being in good shape and smoking pot aren't mutually exclusive... especially if you don't smoke everyday... why pick one or the other when you can have both??

also i am beginning to think that i may see pot legalized in my lifetime. maybe my sample is biased because i live in sf, but i've never met anyone who thought it should be illegal, even if they didn't smoke it themselves. and now glenn beck? lol. this is heartening. i can't wait til bill o'reilly jumps on the bandwagon!

I wish I was that lucky lol.

I feel no need to explain why I believe it should be legal because virtually everyone, especially on this website, know it.

And next prostitution. I find it funny, its legal in most of Nevada, but not sin city, really?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave