Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:15:17 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/31/2015 9:39:13 PM, TBR wrote:
Thought? Predictions?

http://thehill.com...

What is with me today? I read a news story, come here to make a thread about it, and lo-and-behold you done did it already.

Anyway, I think that this quote applies to this situation:

"The end of law is not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom."
-John Locke

That is my favorite quote by him. By using this executive action, Obama would be doing the exact opposite of this.

By passing these restrictions, Obama would make very many gun-loving conservatives grossly unhappy (I am included in this). The NRA will undoubtedly file a lawsuit, as well as many other right-leaning political organizations.... Just my thought on this.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:18:22 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:15:17 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Thought? Predictions?

What is with me today? I read a news story, come here to make a thread about it, and lo-and-behold you done did it already.

"The end of law is not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom."
-John Locke

That is my favorite quote by him. By using this executive action, Obama would be doing the exact opposite of this.

By passing these restrictions, Obama would make very many gun-loving conservatives grossly unhappy (I am included in this). The NRA will undoubtedly file a lawsuit, as well as many other right-leaning political organizations.... Just my thought on this.

It is my firm belief that the only path forward for gun legislation is though conservatives. That is, it must come from gun-supporters, not liberals.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:24:28 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:18:22 AM, TBR wrote:

It is my firm belief that the only path forward for gun legislation is though conservatives. That is, it must come from gun-supporters, not liberals.

I would say the same.

And I think that liberals need to come to terms with something: guns are a massive part of American culture and will never leave it. The moment someone tries to take 'em, there's gonna be Hell-and-a-half to pay, plus expenses incurred from damages and emotional stress....
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:33:12 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:15:17 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Thought? Predictions?

-John Locke

+1
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:33:21 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:24:28 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/1/2016 1:18:22 AM, TBR wrote:

I would say the same.

And I think that liberals need to come to terms with something: guns are a massive part of American culture and will never leave it. The moment someone tries to take 'em, there's gonna be Hell-and-a-half to pay, plus expenses incurred from damages and emotional stress....

+1
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:02:30 AM
Thought?

He came up with a bold and creative way to circumvent the legislature.

Predictions?

He's going to boldly and creatively circumvent the legislature. He is a smart dude.

Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 3:43:07 AM
Reading the comment sections on The Hill make me reconsider my position on whether we should stop mass shootings from happening.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 1:33:45 AM
Thought? Predictions?

he has only succeeded in driving the wedge deeper and pushing people further apart is my prediction.

From what I have been able to glean from the different articles is this will do absolutely.........nothing!
isn't a "straw purchase" still illegal? if it is what do these laws fix? You can't purchase a gun for someone else last I knew.

"Citing gun-industry insiders and other sources, Politico reported one proposal would classify more gun sellers as high-volume dealers. Proponents say that would close a legal loophole, which allows many sales conducted online or at gun shows to skirt existing background check provisions."

A gun seller must do a background check when selling gun unless they are a private individual and hasn't not purchased the gun only to resell. again "straw purchase" otherwise.

please correct me if I'm way off on this because is seems he's just doing this to stir people up and create more strife again. I don't see how this will prevent anything that the straw purchase law doesn't already.

It appears he has yet again fixed a problem that doesn't exist.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 3:32:55 AM
At 1/1/2016 2:02:30 AM, YYW wrote:
Thought?

He came up with a bold and creative way to circumvent the legislature.

Predictions?

He's going to boldly and creatively circumvent the legislature. He is a smart dude.

What a clever lawyer.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 12:34:10 AM

What a clever lawyer.

maybe what actually comes out will be different than what the media is predicting? I'm genuinely concerned that this law or part of isn't covered by the straw purchase laws already in place. If it's covered this isn't needed so what's the point, if it covers something the straw purchase law doesn't, what does it cover and how? I haven't seen any examples of what this will accomplish, can anyone explain?