Jump to topic:

The term Pro-Life shouldn't be used

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 2:39:31 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
It doesn't make sense to me. For me, I look at it as Pro-Choice, and Anti-Choice, your mom could be pro-choice, and she made the decision to give birth. The other side, doesn't care what the mothers thinks, only that she should be forced to give birth.

Simple as that.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 2:40:55 AM
At 1/4/2016 2:39:31 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me. For me, I look at it as Pro-Choice, and Anti-Choice, your mom could be pro-choice, and she made the decision to give birth. The other side, doesn't care what the mothers thinks, only that she should be forced to give birth.

Simple as that.

Me personally I oppose abortion in 95% of circumstances. I believe that most are just irresponsible, and feel like they should have planned ahead. I also don't pretend to know everybody, because I know some people may have lost their jobs or something, and it makes no sense to give birth to a child, when you don't have a job.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 3:15:09 AM
inb4 someone says the term 'Pro-Choice' shouldn't be used, and that it's either pro-life or anti-life :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 3:50:21 AM
At 1/4/2016 3:15:09 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
inb4 someone says the term 'Pro-Choice' shouldn't be used, and that it's either pro-life or anti-life :P

But on a more serious note, the terms 'pro-choice' and 'pro-life' simply reflect competing construals of the issue. By suggesting that the term 'pro-life' shouldn't be used, you reveal your desire to stifle the alternative construal... which will neither improve the quality of discussion, nor compel pro-lifers to eschew their position (whichever your intention was).

The thing is, neither term is inherently wrong. One focuses on one side of the issue, and the other term shines the spotlight on the other side. Frankly, to suggest that one side is the 'correct' side is, IMHO, comparable to the blind men touching the elephant.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:01:15 AM
The Pro-choice/ Pro-life dialectic is the result of both sides taking an "agree to disagree" position on the terminology of the debate so that the actual merits of each side can be argued. We'd never get anywhere if we stayed hung-up on calling each other "anti-choice" and "anti-life".

Really we should call it "pro-abortion/ anti-abortion", but that's just not the way it turned out.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:23:59 AM
I see it as pro life and anti life. One side wants to save lives and the other side thinks its ok to kill lives that aren't wanted.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:19:03 AM
It's a compromise from both sides. Pro-abortionists would rather it be "pro choice, anti choice," and anti-abortionists would rather it be, "pro murder, anti murder."

So we call each side what it wants to be called. Pro choice, pro life. Voila.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:57:03 AM
At 1/4/2016 4:23:59 AM, Dilara wrote:
I see it as pro life and anti life. One side wants to save lives and the other side thinks its ok to kill lives that aren't wanted.

^ Ignore the troll
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 7:44:03 AM

Simple as that.

Eh at this point everyone knows what it means so we may as well use it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 10:52:20 AM

Simple as that.

It shouldn't be called pro murder and anti murder. I mean one side wants a woman to be able to do what she wants with her body, if it's shooting into a crowd of people, fine. The other side wants to control a woman's body and doesn't care what she thinks.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 10:53:23 AM
At 1/4/2016 2:40:55 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

Simple as that.

Me personally I oppose abortion in 95% of circumstances. I believe that most are just irresponsible, and feel like they should have planned ahead. I also don't pretend to know everybody, because I know some people may have lost their jobs or something, and it makes no sense to give birth to a child, when you don't have a job.

I judge them. I mean being in a rough spot, doesn't really justify murder.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:07:32 PM
At 1/4/2016 10:53:23 AM, Wylted wrote:

Simple as that.

it's not murder though. Murder and killing are two different things.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:34:15 PM
At 1/4/2016 4:07:32 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Simple as that.

Murder and killing are in fact very different things.

Now, the question at hand is about political phrasing - for both sides really. I have long ago given up trying to use childish taunts like "anti-choice" or the likes. I can agree that what many pro-life activists preach and do are anything but pro-life, but it only makes me satisfied to say anything about it. "Pro-life" is what they have taken as their moniker, and I will use it. I hear "anti-life" or "pro-abortion" from the other side way more than I hear similar terms from the pro-choice side, and that generally makes me happy.

The pro-life side of the argument is run primarily on emotion. The arguments are generally exhausted after you look at pictures of fetuses. It is very natural for them to turn to some sort of ad hominem - "you are a monster". Well, I will be the monster to them, no skin off my nose.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:44:24 PM
At 1/4/2016 5:57:03 AM, imabench wrote:

^ Ignore the troll

Right. the trolls name is imabench and he's a complete idiot.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 4:45:15 PM

Simple as that.

We are alway slaves to general terms, for the sake of not have to fully explain our position everytime we have a conversion with some one.

At this point in the abortion realm the argument is, whether it(baby, fetus, amoeba, etc) is a human life or not.

We could probably establish some better terms, but what are they?

Pro-life is fine, because they believe that the fetus is a life and has negative rights.

Pro-choice is fine too. Pro-abortion can have a negative connotation, so I see the dissent with the term. Pro-Mother... eh, might as well stick with Pro-choice; who believes they have the right to determine whether or not it(baby, fetus, amoeba, etc) is a human life.

Anti-anything only seeks to intentionally demean and mislead, especially when usually as a defining term.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:00:20 PM

I see it as pro life and anti life.

^ Its like she doesnt even know when she's making an idiot out of herself XDDD
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:42:39 PM

Simple as that.

How would you differentiate the two. I wouldn't call two armies fighting each other murderers, maybe killers, but why the distinction with abortion?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:48:14 PM

Simple as that.

If Pro-Life shouldn't be used as a term for the anti-abortion camp then neither should Pro-Choice for the pro-abortion camp.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:48:29 PM
At 1/4/2016 4:34:15 PM, TBR wrote:

Simple as that.

Murder and killing are in fact very different things.

Now, the question at hand is about political phrasing - for both sides really. I have long ago given up trying to use childish taunts like "anti-choice" or the likes. I can agree that what many pro-life activists preach and do are anything but pro-life, but it only makes me satisfied to say anything about it. "Pro-life" is what they have taken as their moniker, and I will use it. I hear "anti-life" or "pro-abortion" from the other side way more than I hear similar terms from the pro-choice side, and that generally makes me happy.

The pro-life side of the argument is run primarily on emotion. The arguments are generally exhausted after you look at pictures of fetuses. It is very natural for them to turn to some sort of ad hominem - "you are a monster". Well, I will be the monster to them, no skin off my nose.

How can you not feel emotion at something as offensive as murdering a baby though. People often make moral choices and don't have the philosophical background to explain why their intuition tells them that murder is wrong. I think you'd have trouble explaining why rape is wrong after I raped a relative of yours. Likely you'd just use emotion in your arguments. We don't know why we find things wrong, but we just do. Most people don't have the time to study philosophy to justify their emotional outrage at seeing a baby murdered, a woman raped or even being mugged. They just think it's wrong. Ask a rape victim why her rapist was in the wrong and see if you get a logical response? I'd be able to bring up the philosophy of self ownership, but most people will be forced to rely on emotions to say how it's wrong.

Why not come up with a good argument to explain why abortion is ethical, instead of shifting the burden?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 5:57:55 PM
At 1/4/2016 5:00:20 PM, imabench wrote:

Her logic is pretty much the same as the OP's, lol.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 6:09:48 PM
At 1/4/2016 5:42:39 PM, Wylted wrote:

Simple as that.

How would you differentiate the two. I wouldn't call two armies fighting each other murderers, maybe killers, but why the distinction with abortion?

Murder is the legal term and is on purpose, while killing could be accident. It's not murder if I step on an ant, and I kill it.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 6:11:58 PM
At 1/4/2016 5:57:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Not really, If people are given the choice, they can choose between giving birth or abortion. That's like saying people who prefer charity over welfare don't like helping the poor. Charity you are given a choice.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 6:16:25 PM
At 1/4/2016 6:11:58 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 1/4/2016 5:57:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Not really, If people are given the choice, they can choose between giving birth or abortion. That's like saying people who prefer charity over welfare don't like helping the poor. Charity you are given a choice.

That is from a choice perspective. But if you assume a fetus has the same rights as a fully grown adult, which she presumably does, you can frame it as a "pro-life" versus "anti-life" debate. There is no escaping that this debate can be framed as one of choice versus life. The question really comes down to whether or not you believe a fetus is morally equivalent to a fully grown person, and if you answer yes, the pro life position is essentially guaranteed. If you answer no, the pro-choice position becomes reasonable.

Plus the name "pro-life" and "pro-choice" was concocted by activist leaders on both sides in order to increase their poll numbers. No one wants to be anti-life and no one wants to be anti-choice. Both of those names are brilliant and both of the names should stay in use for political purposes. It is genius, just like the estate tax has turned into the death tax :D
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 6:44:14 PM
At 1/4/2016 6:16:25 PM, 16kadams wrote:

if you assume a fetus has the same rights as a fully grown adult, which she presumably does

Except she doesnt

Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 9:12:56 PM

Wow, in that case the way you see it is clearly wrong.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 9:20:17 PM
That is from a choice perspective. But if you assume a fetus has the same rights as a fully grown adult, which she presumably does, you can frame it as a "pro-life" versus "anti-life" debate.

Even then, if you believe that a fetus has the same rights and you're still pro-choice [or anti-life], then you believe that there should never be a situation where one human completely takes over and negates the autonomous rights of another. How is that belief accurately represented in the term "anti-life."
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 9:36:32 PM
At 1/4/2016 9:20:17 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
That is from a choice perspective. But if you assume a fetus has the same rights as a fully grown adult, which she presumably does, you can frame it as a "pro-life" versus "anti-life" debate.

Even then, if you believe that a fetus has the same rights and you're still pro-choice [or anti-life], then you believe that there should never be a situation where one human completely takes over and negates the autonomous rights of another. How is that belief accurately represented in the term "anti-life."

The same is reverse for choice, lol. It all depends on perspective.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 10:07:46 PM
At 1/4/2016 9:36:32 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Yeah, but I mean I haven't met anyone like Dilara who refers to pro life as anti choice.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 12:32:34 AM
At 1/4/2016 10:07:46 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 1/4/2016 9:36:32 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Yeah, but I mean I haven't met anyone like Dilara who refers to pro life as anti choice.

So? It doesn't matter what one group calls themselves. They will always go with the most flattering title. YOU ARE ANTI DEATH YOU MEANIE!!!!!!!!!! I AM PRO LIFE BEST NA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rekt scum
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 1:14:40 AM
At 1/5/2016 12:32:34 AM, 16kadams wrote:
YOU ARE ANTI DEATH YOU MEANIE!!!!!!!!!! I AM PRO LIFE BEST NA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rekt scum

Lol, anti death and pro life aren't that different...
I get what you're saying though.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation