Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Are these republican candidates for real?

xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:51:11 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Cruz was born in Canada, Rubio could go to jail , Trump is tactless,and they are the best 3.
my guess is the GOP will say they have to cancel the primarys, and have a public relations firm choose someone electable
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:46:51 AM
At 1/6/2016 10:51:11 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
Cruz was born in Canada, Rubio could go to jail , Trump is tactless,and they are the best 3.
my guess is the GOP will say they have to cancel the primarys, and have a public relations firm choose someone electable

And the best that the Democrats could come up with is an idealist moron and a lying bastard.

Neither of the sides are good.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 1:57:27 PM
At 1/7/2016 12:46:51 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

And the best that the Democrats could come up with is an idealist moron and a lying bastard.

Neither of the sides are good.

Honestly, people should just create a kickstarter. It could be called the Dis-establishment party. It would rival the Republican(Abolitionist) Party of the 1850s.

Did you use the term bastard because B*tch is not allowed on the forums.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 2:15:03 PM
Cruz was born in Canada,

Uh.. ok? He is still a natural born citizen since his mother was a citizen at the time of birth. He qualifies.

Rubio could go to jail ,

Hyperbole, he made a few financial missteps.

Trump is tactless,and they are the best 3.

They really aren't, Rubio and Cruz are good but there are other good candidates too. Rand Paul, John Kasich, Carly Fiorina, etc. Unless you are talking about the fact that they are polling the best.

My guess is you're a democrat who wishes this would happen.. it won't.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 3:52:04 PM
At 1/7/2016 2:15:03 PM, Objectivity wrote:
Cruz was born in Canada,

Uh.. ok? He is still a natural born citizen since his mother was a citizen at the time of birth. He qualifies.

I don't know... Look, so many were chasing around Obama, and for all those on the GOP side of the isle who thought it was nonsense, I didn't hear much from them. Tit-for-tat sucks, but in this case is perfectly lovely to me.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:19:26 PM
At 1/7/2016 3:52:04 PM, TBR wrote:
Cruz was born in Canada,

I don't know... Look, so many were chasing around Obama, and for all those on the GOP side of the isle who thought it was nonsense, I didn't hear much from them. Tit-for-tat sucks, but in this case is perfectly lovely to me.

I always thought it was stupid lol, if democrats become the birther party of 2016 then I don't see how you can claim you are morally or intellectually superior to people like Donald Trump.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 5:21:35 PM

I think Cruz is the most conservative of all of them and he is consistent. I don't believe it matters if he was born abroad if he has a parent that's a citizen.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 7:52:09 PM
At 1/7/2016 4:19:26 PM, Objectivity wrote:
At 1/7/2016 3:52:04 PM, TBR wrote:
Cruz was born in Canada,

I always thought it was stupid lol, if democrats become the birther party of 2016 then I don't see how you can claim you are morally or intellectually superior to people like Donald Trump.

I am not saying it will be the democrats that will (or should be) chasing him on this issue. It SHOULD be the republicans.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 7:52:49 PM
At 1/7/2016 5:21:35 PM, liltankjj wrote:

I think Cruz is the most conservative of all of them and he is consistent. I don't believe it matters if he was born abroad if he has a parent that's a citizen.

Odd enough, when born his mother was an Canadian citizen. So.....
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 8:18:17 PM
At 1/7/2016 7:52:49 PM, TBR wrote:

I think it's something Cruz should look into himself before his opposition does. Get out in front of it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 9:10:07 PM
At 1/7/2016 8:18:17 PM, liltankjj wrote:

I think it's something Cruz should look into himself before his opposition does. Get out in front of it.

I am sure he has. He should talk more about it, not just be dismissive. Like I said, they chased Obama around in a silly game for years, and we both know who likes to say he was leading that effort, right?

Now, just personally, I could care less. He does NOT pass the "test" used to smear Obama, but I would not hold him to it.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 9:16:24 PM
What Trump did regarding Cruz's birth situation was brilliant. He didn't attack Cruz on it, all he said is that it could cause a problem which it absolutely could. He also urged Cruz to go to court now and get a declaratory judgement that he is indeed eligible. If Cruz does it doesn't hurt Trump. If he doesn't, people will wonder why. Moreover Cruz worked hard to conceal his Canadian birth so it wouldn't be an issue and now it's all over the news. And Trump made all this happen without actually attacking Cruz so if Cruz fights back he looks like the bad guy and Trump will bury him.

Tons of the people supporting Cruz supported Ben Carson a month ago. Sometimes all it takes is to sow just a bit of doubt...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 9:21:19 PM
Trump also framed the democrats at the enemy--the democrats could use the Canada situation to derail Cruz's campaign in the general (and they would). He's just looking out for the party by bringing this up!

People are really confused about Trump, especially when they think he's stupid. He isn't stupid. The media and the voters are, and he's been playing them very easily this entire time. It's great
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 9:26:03 PM
At 1/7/2016 9:10:07 PM, TBR wrote:

I am sure he has. He should talk more about it, not just be dismissive. Like I said, they chased Obama around in a silly game for years, and we both know who likes to say he was leading that effort, right?

Now, just personally, I could care less. He does NOT pass the "test" used to smear Obama, but I would not hold him to it.

What conservative didn't or wouldn't smear Obama though? This is the furthest left I've seen any administration. Even though I'm only 27 and am just getting into politics. But I would like to hear him speak about it though.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 9:41:27 PM
At 1/7/2016 9:26:03 PM, liltankjj wrote:

What conservative didn't or wouldn't smear Obama though?
On this tact? None. Who should't have? Everyone. So what sort of conservative wouldn't smear Obama for this non-issue? A good one.

This is the furthest left I've seen any administration. Even though I'm only 27 and am just getting into politics.
He is very moderate. This "far left" stuff is just nonsense.

But I would like to hear him speak about it though.
What?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:06:20 PM
At 1/7/2016 9:21:19 PM, thett3 wrote:
Trump also framed the democrats at the enemy--the democrats could use the Canada situation to derail Cruz's campaign in the general (and they would). He's just looking out for the party by bringing this up!

That's just utter nonsense. No democratic candidate has indicated that she or he would litigate the issue in the general election -- in part because there's a consensus among experts in the legal commentariat that Cruz qualifies a natural born citizen (see: http://harvardlawreview.org...) and in part because tactics of this sort are unpopular among democrats.

Trump is just intentionally poisoning the well for Cruz while being coy about it. He understands that attacking Cruz's eligibility directly would only make him a more sympathetic figure.

People are really confused about Trump, especially when they think he's stupid. He isn't stupid. The media and the voters are, and he's been playing them very easily this entire time. It's great

Okay, you can hold on to the tired narrative that Trump is a political mastermind (he's not -- what he's doing is easy to understand, simple to come up with, and he's probably the only person in a position to do it well), but your preceding statement is just a different type of delusion altogether.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:30:10 PM
At 1/7/2016 10:06:20 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/7/2016 9:21:19 PM, thett3 wrote:

That's just utter nonsense. No democratic candidate has indicated that she or he would litigate the issue in the general election -- in part because there's a consensus among experts in the legal commentariat that Cruz qualifies a natural born citizen (see: http://harvardlawreview.org...) and in part because tactics of this sort are unpopular among democrats.

http://www.usnews.com...

It absolutely would be litigated. The DNC wouldn't be doing the litigating themselves and might even give lip service to condemning it but they won't take drastic measures to keep it from happening and secretly every democratic operative would be extremely pleased at the potential of the courts totally derailing the GOP nominee. Not to mention that it would be all over the news. People would begin to associate "Cruz" with "Canada" and the implication that he's less than 100% American would doom him.

Trump is just intentionally poisoning the well for Cruz while being coy about it. He understands that attacking Cruz's eligibility directly would only make him a more sympathetic figure.

That's the point. Trump managed to get it all over the news while also looking like a good guy giving Cruz advice and looking after the interest of the party.

Okay, you can hold on to the tired narrative that Trump is a political mastermind (he's not -- what he's doing is easy to understand, simple to come up with, and he's probably the only person in a position to do it well), but your preceding statement is just a different type of delusion altogether.

He isn't a genius, he just has remarkable instincts, a lifetime of experience dealing with the media (so knows how to manipulate them) and is running against a pack of idiots. If it were as easy as you imply, every politician would do it.

The only other smart candidate is Cruz who knew that a fight with Trump over his eligibility (or anything) would end poorly for him and basically backed down.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:43:24 PM

Another brilliant thing Trump did just today was massively overbooking a Vermont rally (20,000 tickets for 1,400 seats). The media reports on it to try to make Trump look like an idiot for overbooking his rally, but what people will really associate the story with is Trump selling out a venue like a rock star and people standing in line for hours in the freezing cold for a chance to see him.

There are hundreds of examples of him baiting people like this. You can find one virtually every day. He's run a flawless campaign. Literally the only mistake he has made was not having a response to Fiorina when she blew him the fvck out face to face in that one debate. But everyone has forgotten about that.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:46:46 PM
At 1/7/2016 10:30:10 PM, thett3 wrote:

It absolutely would be litigated. The DNC wouldn't be doing the litigating themselves and might even give lip service to condemning it but they won't take drastic measures to keep it from happening and secretly every democratic operative would be extremely pleased at the potential of the courts totally derailing the GOP nominee. Not to mention that it would be all over the news. People would begin to associate "Cruz" with "Canada" and the implication that he's less than 100% American would doom him.

It was my understanding that no one else besides the democratic nominee would have standing in court to file suit. If its Clinton, she probably wouldn't ... and if Sanders, he definitely wouldn't.

That's the point. Trump managed to get it all over the news while also looking like a good guy giving Cruz advice and looking after the interest of the party.

I thought you genuinely believed he was only looking out for the party.

He isn't a genius, he just has remarkable instincts, a lifetime of experience dealing with the media (so knows how to manipulate them) and is running against a pack of idiots. If it were as easy as you imply, every politician would do it.

lol its a tactic that has to comport with their personality and public image. Christie tries, but people like Carson, Fiorina, Bush and Rubio could never pull it off. They're not stupid, their campaigns were more or less just doomed given the GOP base's appetite this campaign season.

Christie, for one, tries very hard, and has been projecting a ' tell-it-like-it-is' personality long before Trump .... his candidacy is just complicated by Bridge-gate and probably also his compliments to Obama during Hurricane Sandy in 2012.

The only other smart candidate is Cruz who knew that a fight with Trump over his eligibility (or anything) would end poorly for him and basically backed down.

No. Cruz just understands that he's competing for the same faction of the electorate as Trump, so he doesn't want to repel his supporters. The establishment candidates aren't necessarily competing for Trump and Cruz's group, and that's part of the reason their ads are directed against eachother not necessarily those two.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:51:03 PM
At 1/7/2016 10:43:24 PM, thett3 wrote:

Another brilliant thing Trump did just today was massively overbooking a Vermont rally (20,000 tickets for 1,400 seats). The media reports on it to try to make Trump look like an idiot for overbooking his rally, but what people will really associate the story with is Trump selling out a venue like a rock star and people standing in line for hours in the freezing cold for a chance to see him.

There are hundreds of examples of him baiting people like this. You can find one virtually every day. He's run a flawless campaign. Literally the only mistake he has made was not having a response to Fiorina when she blew him the fvck out face to face in that one debate. But everyone has forgotten about that.

I think your analysis just overreaches. Some of these things probably have more modest calculations than you think or may even be serendipitous .... in this case, I think it's the latter. If you're actively looking for deep and tactful intentions behind anything Trump does (which you are) then you will find them ..... and you'll probably impute more intelligence to it than is deserved.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:55:23 PM
At 1/7/2016 10:46:46 PM, 000ike wrote:

It was my understanding that no one else besides the democratic nominee would have standing in court to file suit. If its Clinton, she probably wouldn't ... and if Sanders, he definitely wouldn't.

Oh really? Even if that were the case, a suit would still be filed. It's possible it would just be dismissed due to lack of standing, but it would still be major national news. What Cruz absolutely cannot let happen is to allow "Cruz" to be associated with "Canada" in the minds of the voters.

I agree with you that there's no way the lawsuit would prevail--I'm not a lawyer but considering he was naturally born a citizen calling him a natural born citizen doesn't seem like a stretch. But it wouldn't necessarily have to to damage him.

No no. But the way he phrased the attack gives him enough deniability that if Cruz did hit back not only would he lose (Cruz *CANT* let this be an issue) but he would even look like the bad guy. Cruz would look like he started the fight and then lost.

lol its a tactic that has to comport with their personality and public image. Christie tries, but people like Carson, Fiorina, Bush and Rubio could never pull it off. They're not stupid, their campaigns were more or less just doomed given the GOP base's appetite this campaign season.

Christie, for one, tries very hard, and has been projecting a ' tell-it-like-it-is' personality long before Trump .... his candidacy is just complicated by Bridge-gate and probably also his compliments to Obama during Hurricane Sandy in 2012.

That's a part of it, too, but there's no denying that Trump has been manipulating the media from day 1 in a very brilliant manner.

No. Cruz just understands that he's competing for the same faction of the electorate as Trump, so he doesn't want to repel his supporters. The establishment candidates aren't necessarily competing for Trump and Cruz's group, and that's part of the reason their ads are directed against eachother not necessarily those two.

Again partially true but not the full story. Cruz would attack Trump on the birther issue (or any issue) if he thought that he would win that fight, but he's smart enough to know that it wouldn't pay off. Cruz's strategy is to pull off a win and Iowa and hope that Trump collapses after being labeled a loser and his supporters flock to Cruz's banner. Which is actually somewhat likely to happen and not a bad strategy.

It's hilarious how badly Trump pwned the GOP, though. Even if Cruz does win he forced them to settle for Cruz who they DESPISE. Serves them right
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:56:46 PM
At 1/7/2016 10:51:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/7/2016 10:43:24 PM, thett3 wrote:

I think your analysis just overreaches. Some of these things probably have more modest calculations than you think or may even be serendipitous .... in this case, I think it's the latter. If you're actively looking for deep and tactful intentions behind anything Trump does (which you are) then you will find them ..... and you'll probably impute more intelligence to it than is deserved.

That's what I thought at first, too. But these things happen too often and he's dispatched of his opponents so easily that I'm starting to think there really is more to him than what appears
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 10:57:41 PM
At 1/7/2016 10:55:23 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/7/2016 10:46:46 PM, 000ike wrote:

Oh really? Even if that were the case, a suit would still be filed. It's possible it would just be dismissed due to lack of standing, but it would still be major national news. What Cruz absolutely cannot let happen is to allow "Cruz" to be associated with "Canada" in the minds of the voters.

I agree with you that there's no way the lawsuit would prevail--I'm not a lawyer but considering he was naturally born a citizen calling him a natural born citizen doesn't seem like a stretch. But it wouldn't necessarily have to win to damage him.

fixed

No no. But the way he phrased the attack gives him enough deniability that if Cruz did hit back not only would he lose (Cruz *CANT* let this be an issue) but he would even look like the bad guy. Cruz would look like he started the fight and then lost.

That's a part of it, too, but there's no denying that Trump has been manipulating the media from day 1 in a very brilliant manner.

Again partially true but not the full story. Cruz would attack Trump on the birther issue (or any issue) if he thought that he would win that fight, but he's smart enough to know that it wouldn't pay off. Cruz's strategy is to pull off a win and Iowa and hope that Trump collapses after being labeled a loser and his supporters flock to Cruz's banner. Which is actually somewhat likely to happen and not a bad strategy.

It's hilarious how badly Trump pwned the GOP, though. Even if Cruz does win he forced them to settle for Cruz who they DESPISE. Serves them right
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 4:09:26 AM
At 1/7/2016 9:41:27 PM, TBR wrote:

On this tact? None. Who should't have? Everyone. So what sort of conservative wouldn't smear Obama for this non-issue? A good one.

This is the furthest left I've seen any administration. Even though I'm only 27 and am just getting into politics.

What?

I was speaking on cruz speaking on his birth place. But he may be moderate compared to Sanders. But a look at Clintons time, he has moved more left in my view. I don't see how you can find it nonsense but I would love to understand why you said it. Furthermore, any one claiming to be conservative and doesn't challenge a progressive move isn't that good of a conservative. Unless we are having a misunderstanding on the term smear. Then we should clarify.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 4:20:00 AM
At 1/8/2016 4:09:26 AM, liltankjj wrote:

What?

I was speaking on cruz speaking on his birth place. But he may be moderate compared to Sanders. But a look at Clintons time, he has moved more left in my view. I don't see how you can find it nonsense but I would love to understand why you said it. Furthermore, any one claiming to be conservative and doesn't challenge a progressive move isn't that good of a conservative. Unless we are having a misunderstanding on the term smear. Then we should clarify.

Lets start here. Do you think Jeb Bush is a moderate or a conservative?
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 4:31:51 AM
At 1/8/2016 4:20:00 AM, TBR wrote:

What?

Moderat
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 2:50:19 PM
"Uh.. ok? He is still a natural born citizen since his mother was a citizen at the time of birth. He qualifies."

The requirement for being president is not just being citizen. You have to be born in the USA. A stupid ***hole might think its cool to force people to believe that he was born south of the border, and become the 1st Canadian to be president. If a republican did this the supreme court would think it was cool to rule that he is not the president
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 3:33:47 PM
At 1/8/2016 4:31:51 AM, liltankjj wrote:

What?

Moderat

OK, right. Now, Obama is moderate too, its just that conservatives think anything just slightly to the right of Bush is "liberal", not true.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 9:58:35 PM
At 1/8/2016 3:33:47 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/8/2016 4:31:51 AM, liltankjj wrote:

What?

Moderat

OK, right. Now, Obama is moderate too, its just that conservatives think anything just slightly to the right of Bush is "liberal", not true.

Am I safe in assuming you meant left of bush?
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 2:23:44 AM
the "natural born" requirement has to do with nationalism, its not about giving every one a fair chance.
we want someone who is 100% American, not 99% ,like Cruz