Jump to topic:

Marines Corps to remove "man from job titles

TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 1:45:35 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus has given Marine Corps brass two weeks to submit a plan to train male and female recruits together at boot camp and fully integrate officer candidate school.

He's also calling for the Marines to make all job titles gender-neutral as the service opens currently closed ground combat jobs to women.

Mabus also included a memo for Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller requesting that he review Marine Corps job titles and remove "man" from applicable job titles to make them "gender-integrated." This means military occupational specialties ranging from 0311, infantryman, to 0321, reconnaissance man, could soon get new names.

http://www.military.com...

Questions, comments, and thoughts on the article?

Do you agree with women serving in combat positions in the military?

Do you think it goes too far to make the positions "gender-neutral" by removing "man" from them?

Should military standards for all positions be homogenized, to include combat roles and Special Ops? (i.e. males and females should have the same fitness standards)
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 12:53:30 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I think in the effort to make everything PC, this is going to prove problematic.

Women are not as strong as men and could be the weak link in a combat group. Also, you cannot remove sexuality from the equation. Males of all species fight over females and I don't know why this would be any different. I think when you add the stress of combat, combat groups isolated for periods of time and men not having access to other females, there are going to be high incidences of rape.
ChristopherABrown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 2:28:36 AM
At 1/9/2016 12:53:30 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I think in the effort to make everything PC, this is going to prove problematic.

Women are not as strong as men and could be the weak link in a combat group. Also, you cannot remove sexuality from the equation. Males of all species fight over females and I don't know why this would be any different. I think when you add the stress of combat, combat groups isolated for periods of time and men not having access to other females, there are going to be high incidences of rape.

This logical, but the government is not, and not constitutional, so it makes sense they would seek to inure more people to war by making war more acceptable by involving the half of the species that is naturally dedicated to bringing life into the world. The infiltration that created the act of 1871 has an agenda and that includes corrupting the society, destroying the potentials for strong families to naturally form.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 2:30:42 AM
are you fvcking kidding me?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 4:00:27 PM
A top Marine general predicts that the Defense Department's vows to maintain the same standards for women and men in combat jobs won't last, saying the military will eventually be pressured to lower the qualifications so more women can serve in jobs like the Marine infantry.

"They're saying we are not going to change any standards," Kelly, a top Marine general, told reporters at the Pentagon on Friday. "There will be great pressure, whether it's 12 months from now, four years from now, because the question will be asked whether we've let women into these other roles, why aren't they staying in those other roles? Why aren't they advancing as infantry people?"

Kelly, who has been a Marine for 45 years and served three tours in Iraq, said the sole basis for change in the military should be whether the change will make units more lethal.

"If the answer to that is no, clearly don't do it. If the answer to that is, it shouldn't hurt, I would suggest that we shouldn't do it, because it might hurt," Kelly said.

There's a Marine General who disagrees with this motion, and the Commandant of the Marine Corps. wants a private discussion with Secretary Carter to further discuss this issue(the commandant is not a fan of this either).

I don't think there's a way, at least currently, to achieve some "Starship Trooper"-esque military. And taking "man" out of jobs I feel is just some form of social justice. It would be like trying to take "man" out of "mankind".
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 2:54:31 PM
"The Marines announced today in an administrative message that those female Marines who have already passed enlisted infantry training and relevant job schools for combat arms positions are eligible to receive a ground combat arms military occupational specialty.

The announcement comes shortly after the Corps submitted its plan for integration of combat arms jobs to Defense Secretary Ashton Carter in keeping with a military-wide mandate."

Taking another step forward with it.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 10:53:57 PM
At 1/7/2016 1:45:35 PM, TheFlex wrote:
Do you agree with women serving in combat positions in the military?

Yes, if they want to serve then that's awesome, it's not something a lot of people would do.

Do you think it goes too far to make the positions "gender-neutral" by removing "man" from them?

No, it's really a small formality.

Should military standards for all positions be homogenized, to include combat roles and Special Ops? (i.e. males and females should have the same fitness standards)

Yes, there's no reason to bring in soldiers who were tested for lower standards just because of "equality."
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 3:28:21 PM

"On Tuesday, U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter, dispatched a letter to the Pentagon suggesting that Navy Secretary Ray Mabus should be replaced because of an apparently abrupt order he issued to the Marine Corps to merge men's and women's training.

The letter follows friction between Mabus and Marine Corps leaders over the issue of opening ground combat jobs to women. In recommending the integration last year, Mabus defied a Marine Corps study that said women got injured more often and dragged down the performance of combat teams."

Tensions rising. I think the Navy is getting on the verge of some kind of breaking point soon regarding this issue.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 3:40:06 PM

Another relevant article. Females beginning to apply for the newly opened positions.

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with women serving in those positions as long as they can meet all required criteria with no exceptions. They should absolutely be held to the same standards, but that's currently not the case.