Jump to topic:

An Anti-NRA movement

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 11:43:06 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Do you think we need an anti NRA movement, would you join one?

I am thinking of one called Common sense of guns of CSG of CSOG for short.

The goal would be to call for the republicans and democrats to start ending gun violence as there are some reasonable solutions on the republican side but they are never pushing for it, just trying to stop gun control. It will also push against the NRA's radical pro gun stance and some liberals radical anti gun stance, it will push for commen sense such as background checks and no rapid fire guns.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 12:27:20 PM
At 1/8/2016 11:43:06 PM, mc9 wrote:

The goal would be to call for the republicans and democrats to start ending gun violence as there are some reasonable solutions on the republican side but they are never pushing for it, just trying to stop gun control. It will also push against the NRA's radical pro gun stance and some liberals radical anti gun stance, it will push for commen sense such as background checks and no rapid fire guns.

Im not american but this seems a good idea. It is clear america is never going to accept gum laws like my country the UK but it Is clear some sort of compromise is needed to deal with gun crime while minimising anger amongst America's gun loving citizens.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 1:51:59 PM
"Common sense of guns" is such a pretentious name I'm surprised the American left hasn't already created it.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 4:06:08 PM

um there already is, the super rich Mr. Bloomberg funds them, do some research before making threads like this please, there's nothing to discuss since it already exists.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 9:14:40 PM
At 1/9/2016 4:06:08 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

um there already is, the super rich Mr. Bloomberg funds them, do some research before making threads like this please, there's nothing to discuss since it already exists.

I as thinking of a new one, with slightly different goals.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 9:24:17 PM
At 1/9/2016 9:14:40 PM, mc9 wrote::
I as thinking of a new one, with slightly different goals.

if it's only slightly different, then no doesn't make sense to make another origination to compete with one that already exists. Also note that the NRA is the largest, but not the only organization of that type either.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 9:47:07 PM
The way I see it if you don't like guns you don't have to own one.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 11:25:28 PM
At 1/9/2016 9:47:07 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

It's not that I don't like guns it's just that there needs to be regulations like on pretty much everything else that can be deadly.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 11:34:01 PM
At 1/9/2016 11:25:28 PM, mc9 wrote:

It's not that I don't like guns it's just that there needs to be regulations like on pretty much everything else that can be deadly.

Regulations do exist for guns, the one area where its lacking is in, my opinion, the need for regular mental health checks.

But if the goal is to put regulations on everything that CAN be deadly, you do understand that would include just about everything in existence right? How about we start preaching personal responsibility again, and making smart choices. Instead of expecting an entity such as government to regulate us in all aspects of our lives?

Freedom = responsibility = owning the consequences of that responsibility.

No consequences, no responsibility, no freedom. This is all rather simple. And if your goal is to make people safe from the bad choices of others, understand there will be no doing that. Either you don't go into public, and remain within your private home your whole life, or understand that going into public automatically means, and this cannot be changed, you will be subjected to the bad choices of others.

Laws are reactionary, if you do not do this, or if you do this, you will be punished. Laws don't prevent "bad" things. And yes, I understand it's not fair to be subjected and suffer the consequences of another's bad choices, but nobody ever promised life would be fair, and there is no way to ensure life is fair for everyone. Unfairness is a fact of life.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 11:34:56 PM
At 1/9/2016 11:34:01 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Regulations do exist for guns, the one area where its lacking is in, my opinion, the need for regular mental health checks.

But if the goal is to put regulations on everything that CAN be deadly, you do understand that would include just about everything in existence right? How about we start preaching personal responsibility again, and making smart choices. Instead of expecting an entity such as government to regulate us in all aspects of our lives?

No consequences, no responsibility, no freedom. This is all rather simple. And if your goal is to make people safe from the bad choices of others, understand there will be no doing that. Either you don't go into public, and remain within your private home your whole life, or understand that going into public automatically means, and this cannot be changed, you will be subjected to the bad choices of others.

Laws are reactionary, if you do not do this, or if you do this, you will be punished. Laws don't prevent "bad" things. And yes, I understand it's not fair to be subjected and suffer the consequences of another's bad choices, but nobody ever promised life would be fair, and there is no way to ensure life is fair for everyone. Unfairness is a fact of life.

What laws are there concerning guns?
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 11:38:51 PM
At 1/9/2016 11:34:56 PM, mc9 wrote:

Background checks required fof purchases. Illegality of fully automatic weapons(assault rifles). Illegality of straw purchases(where a person legally purchases guns, and then gives or sells them to someone who is not approved to own), among others.

The one place where its lacking, is we don't require mental health checks. Which is fine by me, but understand that will be a large expense on the taxpayer also. As the right to bear and keep arms is a human right, and thus if you want to infringe upon that governmentally, one cannot shift the expense of that infringement upon the person who wishes to exercise that.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 11:41:17 PM
and then understand that because of the prevalence of guns in the U.S., a prevalency and culture that is so vast and ingrained, you still won't stop all gun crimes and violence. And in fact, as examples show, you will likely raise overall violent crime and homocide rate by doing so.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 11:43:19 PM
At 1/9/2016 11:41:17 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
and then understand that because of the prevalence of guns in the U.S., a prevalency and culture that is so vast and ingrained, you still won't stop all gun crimes and violence. And in fact, as examples show, you will likely raise overall violent crime and homocide rate by doing so.

So the question then becomes, what's really important? Reduction in violent gun crime and homicide, or reduction in total violenct crime and homicide? Cause the latter has been steadily lowering worldwide and in just about every nation in the world at a steady rate since 1990 as per the extensive statistics available from the United Nations Department on Drugs and Crimes
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 12:43:16 AM
At 1/10/2016 12:37:10 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I just want to feel good again. Where is my blue pill?

There's no such thing, sadly.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 12:50:20 AM
At 1/9/2016 11:38:51 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Background checks required fof purchases. Illegality of fully automatic weapons(assault rifles). Illegality of straw purchases(where a person legally purchases guns, and then gives or sells them to someone who is not approved to own), among others.

The one place where its lacking, is we don't require mental health checks. Which is fine by me, but understand that will be a large expense on the taxpayer also. As the right to bear and keep arms is a human right, and thus if you want to infringe upon that governmentally, one cannot shift the expense of that infringement upon the person who wishes to exercise that.

Source?
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 1:54:38 AM
At 1/10/2016 12:50:20 AM, mc9 wrote:
At 1/9/2016 11:38:51 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Source?

Federal Law dude, look it up yourself. You really think we have no laws whatsoever regarding guns?
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 2:14:54 AM
Like really, a source. This is a forum, not a debate. It's not about winning or losing, its about a discussion. If you are behind the 8-ball regarding things, then the onus is on you to catch up. The onus is not on me to hold ur hand through stuff, cause that's honestly what I view as a waste of my time.

If you want to ignore what I said because of that, so be it, its of no concern to me that you remain largely ignorant of the situation and circumstances regarding gun control.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 4:23:19 AM
At 1/10/2016 2:14:54 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
Like really, a source. This is a forum, not a debate. It's not about winning or losing, its about a discussion. If you are behind the 8-ball regarding things, then the onus is on you to catch up. The onus is not on me to hold ur hand through stuff, cause that's honestly what I view as a waste of my time.

If you want to ignore what I said because of that, so be it, its of no concern to me that you remain largely ignorant of the situation and circumstances regarding gun control.

You don't need to be condescending about it, you come on to a debate site and make a claim it is your job to back it up.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 4:25:28 AM
At 1/10/2016 4:23:19 AM, mc9 wrote:
At 1/10/2016 2:14:54 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

You don't need to be condescending about it, you come on to a debate site and make a claim it is your job to back it up.

You only need sources to disclaim.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 4:51:28 AM
The best way to lower gun violence is allow more law abiding citizens to be armed.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 6:47:39 AM

Whattttttttt! That is crazy, you mean gun owners aren't forcing you to do anything.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 2:11:21 PM

There would be no need for this type of group.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 3:18:16 PM
At 1/9/2016 12:27:20 PM, beng100 wrote:

Im not american but this seems a good idea. It is clear america is never going to accept gum laws like my country the UK but it Is clear some sort of compromise is needed to deal with gun crime while minimising anger amongst America's gun loving citizens.

Violent crime has been steadily decreasing for the past like decade.. with no gun control btw.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 8:54:53 PM

There already is an anti-NRA movement-- it is called the Brady Campaign. Interestingly, it was started by the wife of the press secretary of the president who signed a bill which was a historic victory for the NRA and firearms manufacturers.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz