Black Lives Matter, New Black Panthers, et al

Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 7:39:14 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Debate

This is a debate between pimpmaster and BrendanD19. You can find the link to the debate here: http://www.debate.org...

Burdens

Since this is a controversial topic and neither side can be quantitatively be defined as "more" dangerous to the USA, the burdens are split in this debate. There is no evident contesting to one side holding more of a burden than the other and therefore my interpretation of the burdens is valid and will be used when assessing and analyzing the debate.

Definitions

I buy Pro"s interpretation of the definitions in this debate due to the fact that he set up the debate and decided the definitions that he wanted to use. By con accepting the debate it is a symbol that you accept what has been said in R1. Con"s acceptance means that he accepts the debate, its rules and its definitions. Con"s complaint in R1 is not valid.

Round 2

Statistics are strong and they work especially work in Pro"s favor in this round. The huge statistic comparing death by Muslims compared to death by black people is especially effective since the comparison takes place over the same period of time. The large list of scenarios was unnecessary but it still produced weight which would be crucial to the outcome of the debate. Pro does make the mistake of assuming that these crimes are worse and are terrible. I will let this pass because it was never directly critiqued by con but this could have taken a very different turn if Con had decided to argue the kritik that could have been produced. The strongest element of Pro"s argument is that he shows ISIS"s lack of mobilization ability.

Con"s arguments were " well, they were rebuttals NOT arguments. The Burden Of Proof was shared and this was evident and I will not be merciful to Con due to the fact that my role as a voter is to look at this objectively. Con provides NO offense to his case. Now onto his rebuttals. Con gives me a mitigation since not all black people belong to the ideological movement: BlackLivesMatter. This is a severe mitigation and does limit this arguments impact however it still has an impact and I haven"t been given an impact by Con at all. I don"t think that the sourcing rebuttal is particularly convincing. I have been presented with an argument from Pro with weak sources vs. no arguments by Con with no sources. The choice is evident even if Con"s arguments stand.

Round 3

This isn"t really long and this is where the debate gets messy and I"m unsure whether or not this still classifies as a debate at this point. Con makes responses to the source related rebuttals however this is irrelevant since (as previously stated), even if Con"s source rebuttals do stand. Pro still wins against him in this case. Con then shows that Con makes very few attacks at information and solely relies on attacking sources. The re-emphasis of the lack of ISIS related killings is all Pro can do at this point after addressing the rebuttals by Con.

Con"s response to definitions is irrelevant. He doesn"t lose the debate based on his refutation however Pro"s definitions DO stand and therefore this mitigates Con"s case further. Con then makes claims like "the BLM didn"t exist at that point," this pretty much nullifies my allocation of the sources points which would have previously been awarded to Con. Making unsupported claims is bad enough but when you"re in a position like he is then making these sort of claims is fatal to your case.

Conclusion

This debate was Pro"s from the beginning. Con relied on source related fallacies and problems in the definitions. Con completely misinterpreted the burdens in the debate which ultimately costed him it due to his lack of defense and arguments in support of ISIS being dangerous. This was a promising debate that offered a lot of depth and it is a shame that it ended up in such a messy and disorganized fashion.
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 7:41:08 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
NOTE

This is a vote on behalf of the Voter's Union. PM me, Whiteflame, or Midnight1131, if you have a debate you need voted on.