Blow things out of the water 101 (Iran)

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 12:07:02 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
http://www.cnn.com...

"A senior administration official said there is nothing to indicate this was anything hostile on the part of any entity in Iran, adding that the U.S. has received high-level assurances that the sailors will be released promptly."

And now Santorum: "WH says our sailors are being given courtesies? This is feckless. WH is endangering our troops. Demand their return NOW!"

Jeb! - "If our sailors aren't coming home yet, they need to be now. No more bargaining. Obama's humiliatingly weak Iran policy is exposed again."

Cruz: "This is the latest manifestation of the weakness of Barack Obama, that every bad actor ... views Obama as a laughingstock"

Carson: "While POTUS is preparing to talk about his so called 'accomplishments', 10 of our American sailors are being held by #Iran."

---

Let's be clear: even Iranian reporters do not indicate any hostility whatsoever.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 12:10:52 AM
At 1/13/2016 12:07:02 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

"A senior administration official said there is nothing to indicate this was anything hostile on the part of any entity in Iran, adding that the U.S. has received high-level assurances that the sailors will be released promptly."

And now Santorum: "WH says our sailors are being given courtesies? This is feckless. WH is endangering our troops. Demand their return NOW!"

Jeb! - "If our sailors aren't coming home yet, they need to be now. No more bargaining. Obama's humiliatingly weak Iran policy is exposed again."

Cruz: "This is the latest manifestation of the weakness of Barack Obama, that every bad actor ... views Obama as a laughingstock"

Carson: "While POTUS is preparing to talk about his so called 'accomplishments', 10 of our American sailors are being held by #Iran."

---

Let's be clear: even Iranian reporters do not indicate any hostility whatsoever.

Republicans are a dangerous lot. This is not the sort of stuff you use for political posturing.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 12:24:35 AM
As a matter of fact, if we had gone with the republican plan on Iran, these guys would not be coming home tomorrow. They, the candidates, should shut their mouths before they sound like bigger idiots.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 1:25:04 AM

---

I think this is turning poorly for the republicans. They have a line open to Iran only because of the efforts of the Obama administration. We have the upperhand, the deal.

I think the GOP is going to get caught on this one.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 1:26:32 AM
At 1/13/2016 1:25:04 AM, TBR wrote:

---

I think this is turning poorly for the republicans. They have a line open to Iran only because of the efforts of the Obama administration. We have the upperhand, the deal.

I think the GOP is going to get caught on this one.

I agree, it's about time too.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 1:28:20 AM

And now Santorum:

Good lord Santorum is still running?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 1:29:51 AM
At 1/13/2016 1:28:20 AM, imabench wrote:

And now Santorum:

Good lord Santorum is still running?

He is XD.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 4:30:31 PM
And they're released without outrage from the military, Iran, or the soldiers themselves.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 5:05:56 PM

---

Removing and detaining Sailors from a foriegn vessel/ship is not IAW Maritime Law.
Another display of weakness on the part of this administration.

I know two ship Commanding Officers who are going to be behind a desk very soon.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 6:37:04 PM
At 1/13/2016 5:05:56 PM, Robkwoods wrote:

---

Removing and detaining Sailors from a foriegn vessel/ship is not IAW Maritime Law.

I know two ship Commanding Officers who are going to be behind a desk very soon.

What weakness? We got our people back without a shot fired! Must we blow stuff up to be manly enough for you?
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 6:55:36 PM
At 1/13/2016 6:37:04 PM, TBR wrote:

---

What weakness? We got our people back without a shot fired! Must we blow stuff up to be manly enough for you?

I did not say anything about blowing stuff up. We apologized to a foreign nation for drifting into their waters. If the story about failed engines is true, Iran detaining the ships was a power move; a testing waters if you will.
Tell me the last time in history a foreign nation has detained an American Navy vessel.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 7:03:36 PM
At 1/13/2016 6:55:36 PM, Robkwoods wrote:

---

I did not say anything about blowing stuff up. We apologized to a foreign nation for drifting into their waters. If the story about failed engines is true, Iran detaining the ships was a power move; a testing waters if you will.
Tell me the last time in history a foreign nation has detained an American Navy vessel.

OK. I don't think this is going to go anywhere, but without the work of the present administration we would have two hostages at this point. We had 1) communications 2) leverage. Piss and moan about posturing, but this successful outcome is BECAUSE of the administration. Do you think they would NOT have taken the boat if we were running the conservative strategy with them?
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 7:50:47 PM
At 1/13/2016 7:03:36 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/13/2016 6:55:36 PM, Robkwoods wrote:

---

OK. I don't think this is going to go anywhere, but without the work of the present administration we would have two hostages at this point. We had 1) communications 2) leverage. Piss and moan about posturing, but this successful outcome is BECAUSE of the administration. Do you think they would NOT have taken the boat if we were running the conservative strategy with them?

Look maybe I came off a bit too strong. I believe in having a strong military. I am glad no shots were fired, I am glad a WAR wasn't started. I am happy those sailors are coming home.

I can't say for sure what a conservative strategy would have done. There was a time where a foreign nation wouldn't dare approach a US Naval Warship, with intentions of detaining the sailors on board.

I am very concerned with why and how the fvck two Naval ships loss power and drifted into foreign waters. Even more strange is the fact that IRG were allowed to come aboard. Something is very weird about the whole situation.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 7:57:36 PM

Look maybe I came off a bit too strong. I believe in having a strong military. I am glad no shots were fired, I am glad a WAR wasn't started. I am happy those sailors are coming home.

I can't say for sure what a conservative strategy would have done. There was a time where a foreign nation wouldn't dare approach a US Naval Warship, with intentions of detaining the sailors on board.

I am very concerned with why and how the fvck two Naval ships loss power and drifted into foreign waters. Even more strange is the fact that IRG were allowed to come aboard. Something is very weird about the whole situation.

That needs some spaning. You are absolutly right. A couple guys are watching the end of their career over this.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 8:05:56 PM
At 1/13/2016 7:50:47 PM, Robkwoods wrote:

right on the money, they aren't afraid of us, they took all the technology they could from the ship and sailors, hopefully they didn't gain anything good. A non aggressive country would have left them be, set up a perimeter so they stay put and either assist or wait for they retrieval. Considering they are trying to negotiate have violated agreements etc, this could have been a huge opportunity for them to show some good will and their gains would have been huge compared to what they DID do. Given that I think it speaks volumes to their mentality with regards to future negotiations, they can't be trusted, not even a little bit.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 8:06:40 PM
At 1/13/2016 7:57:36 PM, TBR wrote:

That needs some spaning. You are absolutly right. A couple guys are watching the end of their career over this.

From what I could find these are the Navy boats.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
These are badass boats. I don't buy the mechanical failure. Yanmars don't just fail.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 8:07:26 PM
At 1/13/2016 8:06:40 PM, Robkwoods wrote:

These are badass boats. I don't buy the mechanical failure. Yanmars don't just fail.

Well, and two? Yea, I don't get that.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 8:13:05 PM
At 1/13/2016 8:07:26 PM, TBR wrote:

OP link to cnn
"Another senior defense official told CNN the boats were in the vicinity of Farsi Island for refueling. It's not clear whether they were refueled, raising the possibility they ran out." "When Kerry reached Zarif on the phone, he explained that the boat had a mechanical problem and that the boat accidentally strayed."
so maybe a bit of both problems, once the debriefing is done, I guess we'll know, well we'll know they story they tell us anyway.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 8:13:25 PM

Guess we will wait and see.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2016 9:35:39 PM
At 1/13/2016 8:13:25 PM, Robkwoods wrote:

Guess we will wait and see.

Good thing we were able to pay the multi-billion dollar ransom after they had their way with our sailors. An Obama success.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 2:15:14 AM

Could be possible that it was an attempt to feed the Iranians bad intel.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 4:04:14 AM
At 1/13/2016 12:10:52 AM, TBR wrote:

---

Republicans are a dangerous lot. This is not the sort of stuff you use for political posturing.

Think about it from the opposite perspective: An Iranian boat drifts into American waters and a Republican administration captures the crew at gunpoint, holds them for 16 hours, interrogates them, and films an apology from one of the sailors, then distribute the tape publicly. Then we release them unharmed.

Fill in the blank with any two countries, it looks more like an aggressive propaganda opportunity we're going to just let go with a meek "thanks for not shooting us."

http://www.foxnews.com...

Fox news or not, the article has the apology video in it.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 4:06:23 AM
At 1/14/2016 4:04:14 AM, Skynet wrote:

---

Think about it from the opposite perspective: An Iranian boat drifts into American waters and a Republican administration captures the crew at gunpoint, holds them for 16 hours, interrogates them, and films an apology from one of the sailors, then distribute the tape publicly. Then we release them unharmed.

Fill in the blank with any two countries, it looks more like an aggressive propaganda opportunity we're going to just let go with a meek "thanks for not shooting us."

Please... So what exactly did you want? Want to bomb something? Want to kill some Iranians because our guys went into their waters, they got them, and returned them? Ridiculous.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 4:33:58 AM
At 1/14/2016 4:06:23 AM, TBR wrote:

Please... So what exactly did you want? Want to bomb something? Want to kill some Iranians because our guys went into their waters, they got them, and returned them? Ridiculous.

"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."

We've come a long way from the 1800's baby.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 4:38:35 AM
At 1/14/2016 2:15:14 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Could be possible that it was an attempt to feed the Iranians bad intel.

Could be... Those boats were apparently heading from Kuwait to Bahrain; a journey that is beyond the capability of that asset.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 4:39:41 AM

---

I figure if what they did to our sailors was OK, we should return the favor. Which doesn't involve physical harm to anyone.

Now I have a question for you. Is Iran a conservative or liberal country?
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 4:40:48 AM

---

I am fairly sure Iranian boats would never make it passed our EEZ without us knowing.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 4:57:25 AM
At 1/14/2016 4:39:41 AM, Skynet wrote:

---

I figure if what they did to our sailors was OK, we should return the favor. Which doesn't involve physical harm to anyone.

Well, if Iranian boats are operating off our cost, and enter our waters, then we can talk.

Why does this matter?
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 3:22:09 AM
At 1/14/2016 4:57:25 AM, TBR wrote:
At 1/14/2016 4:39:41 AM, Skynet wrote:

---

Well, if Iranian boats are operating off our cost, and enter our waters, then we can talk.

Ah. Never mind. I'll never be able to convince you of anything. If I were a liberal and made the same points, you might be more open minded toward me. Have a good weekend.

Why does this matter?