Jump to topic:

Puerto Rico should become a state

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 5:55:50 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
The current relationship between the USA and Puerto Rico is in my view strange. Puerto Rico has some degree of control over its own affairs but it would have this anyway if it chose to become a state. However it's residents are unable to participate in electing the president of the USA or members of the Senate or congress. It is effectively a colony in a similar position to former British empire territories such as Canada and Australia a century ago. It should have a referendum to decide between independence and statehood. I think the current position is a unsatisfying one. Puerto Rico would benefit from statehood and the USA would benefit from it joining.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 6:20:36 PM
At 1/14/2016 5:55:50 PM, beng100 wrote:
The current relationship between the USA and Puerto Rico is in my view strange. Puerto Rico has some degree of control over its own affairs but it would have this anyway if it chose to become a state. However it's residents are unable to participate in electing the president of the USA or members of the Senate or congress. It is effectively a colony in a similar position to former British empire territories such as Canada and Australia a century ago. It should have a referendum to decide between independence and statehood. I think the current position is a unsatisfying one. Puerto Rico would benefit from statehood and the USA would benefit from it joining.

that is a topic that comes up every once in a while, and that is not the only U.S. "territory" I never bothered to look into it, not sure what it's all about but clearly there is opposition to in and hence why it has never been done. So I guess to analyze why one would oppose this measure would be a good starting point.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 6:28:33 PM

Puerto Rico is a trainwreck of a country that if made an official state would wind up near the bottom of the list of states in every measure of economic prosperity.... The country is on the verge of default as well making them a giant money pit if the US made it a state. Puerto Rico should become its own country, but some other territories the US occupies would be much better for statehood...

Guam and Washington DC are the two best options, The US Virgin Islands next, and American Samoa and the North Mariana Islands are at the bottom of the list that wouldnt contribute much but also would not be nearly as much of a liability as Puerto Rico would be
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 6:45:59 PM
At 1/14/2016 6:28:33 PM, imabench wrote:
Puerto Rico is a trainwreck of a country that if made an official state would wind up near the bottom of the list of states in every measure of economic prosperity.... The country is on the verge of default as well making them a giant money pit if the US made it a state. Puerto Rico should become its own country, but some other territories the US occupies would be much better for statehood...

Guam and Washington DC are the two best options, The US Virgin Islands next, and American Samoa and the North Mariana Islands are at the bottom of the list that wouldnt contribute much but also would not be nearly as much of a liability as Puerto Rico would be

+1
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 3:20:43 AM

In 2011 Obama promised that if Puerto Rico had a referendum, that he would support any decision the territory came too (even independence). In 2012, Puerto Rico did host a referendum with two questions on the ballot. One is whether they want to change the status of Puerto Rico as a territory, with 54% voting to change from the commonwealth status to something else. The second was which they wanted to become if they did change their status, Statehood, Free Association, or Independence, with 61.16%, 33.34%, 5.49% respectively. Puerto Rico then passed a resolution one month later asking the President and Congress to act upon the referendum. Congress put forward two different resolutions to begin the statehood process, but both died in committee. In 2014 Congress announced that it will use 2.5 million dollars to hold another referendum, this one being the first ever to be funded by the US federal government. Many believe the referendum will take place in 2016 alongside the Puerto Rican Gubernatorial Election and, given Congresses personal funding, will be the final say on the matter.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 10:14:46 PM
I say that Puerto Rico should be given more autonomy, and even independence.
The fact is that Puerto Rico's economic crisis is the direct result of its colonial status. Because it is a US commonwealth, Puerto Rico's Municipalities and public corporations cannot declare bankruptcy, it is prohibited form seeking debt relief from the World Bank or IMF (even though that would be a bad Idea anyway). There economy is limited by and dependent upon the US, it has no control over monetary policy, Its rules concerning immigration, trade, regulations and foreign policy are subject to US agencies and the US Congress, which they have no say in.
And while you might say that they would have the opportunity to impact these if they were a state, well the fact is that this is a pipe dream. Unlike Alaska and Hawaii in the 1950s, Puerto Rico is not an Incorporated Territory. It is an unincorporated commonwealth. This was intended to prevent PR form becoming a state. Plus in a mostly Spanish speaking nation where democrats always to win the shadow seat in congress, No GOP member would logically vote for it.

Statehood will not work. Independence is the way to go.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 10:21:33 PM
At 1/14/2016 6:28:33 PM, imabench wrote:

I would say that at a bare minimum DC's Shadow senator and congressional representative should have voting rights and the City government should have the powers of the state government, even if it wouldn't be full statehood. Guam, American Samoa, the North Mariana Islands and The Virgin Islands should have voting rights in congress, and I know one of them doesn't even get full citizenship (don't remember which one). Plus should have the right to vote in presidential elections.
Puerto Rico needs independence. Thats how it will jump start its economy. The problem is rooted in its colonial status.