Jump to topic:

Prepared vs paranoid

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 12:36:05 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Why is locking your doors is being safe but carrying a gun is being paranoid?
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 12:37:47 AM
At 1/16/2016 12:36:05 AM, Maccabee wrote:

I really don't know. I do not take chances with my personal safety or the safety of my property. Being paranoid is if you were to set traps outside of your home and have a nuclear bunker, rather than having sufficient means to defend yourself.

Then again, you shouldn't discourage defensive actions so long as they do not impede on other's liberties. After all, it is their property/home, etc.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 12:56:38 AM

Odds. In most affluent neighbourhoods most crime is theft based on opportunity. Thus locking doors is normally sufficient - even if there are glass panes right next to the locks.

The odds that you'll need a gun in most places is minimal. If I lived in Syria I'd have as many guns as possible.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 1:06:33 AM
At 1/16/2016 12:56:38 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Odds. In most affluent neighbourhoods most crime is theft based on opportunity. Thus locking doors is normally sufficient - even if there are glass panes right next to the locks.

There's a saying that goes something along the lines of "locks only keep out honest people".

The odds that you'll need a gun in most places is minimal. If I lived in Syria I'd have as many guns as possible.

There have been between 200,000 and 2.5 million cases per year where guns have been used in defense.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 2:29:02 AM

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
medical : of, relating to, or suffering from a mental illness that causes you to falsely believe that people are trying to harm you

having or showing an unreasonable feeling that people are trying to harm you, do not like you, etc. : feeling or showing paranoia

Yup
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 3:24:42 AM
At 1/16/2016 2:29:02 AM, TBR wrote:

medical : of, relating to, or suffering from a mental illness that causes you to falsely believe that people are trying to harm you

having or showing an unreasonable feeling that people are trying to harm you, do not like you, etc. : feeling or showing paranoia

Yup
So you shouldn't lock your doors then. The same people you lock your doors to is the same people that CCW holders carry there guns. Talk about hypocrisy.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 3:48:42 AM
At 1/16/2016 3:24:42 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Yup
So you shouldn't lock your doors then. The same people you lock your doors to is the same people that CCW holders carry there guns. Talk about hypocrisy.

And seat-belts and fire extinguisher. Yea yea. Same old stuff from the same terrified gun owners. Do you honestly think that if you don't have your gun tucked under your pillow tonight, the hordes of thugs are going to get ya?
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 5:03:33 AM
At 1/16/2016 3:48:42 AM, TBR wrote:
At 1/16/2016 3:24:42 AM, Maccabee wrote:

Yup

And seat-belts and fire extinguisher. Yea yea. Same old stuff from the same terrified gun owners. Do you honestly think that if you don't have your gun tucked under your pillow tonight, the hordes of thugs are going to get ya?

Do you honestly think that if you don't lock your doors at night a gang will come raiding in your house? No I don't fear that a horde would come and get me if I don't carry. In fact, because of the state I'm in and my age I CAN'T carry unless I'm law enforcement. So I'm not speaking from personal experience. I'm speaking from logical deduction. There was once a time that I wanted to confiscate all the guns and only let the police and army have them so I know where you're coming from. So my mentality is not that there's a thug in every bush, but at the same time I'm not walking down the street with my head in my phone. You being a father probably already have a natural situation of awareness and that what most gun carriers have. The only difference is that if all options are exhausted in avoiding confrontation then they have a lethal means of defense.