Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Government????

comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 4:18:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What is the role of government?

What is the Federal Governments job?

I believe that the role of the federal government is to PROTECT.

Federal government=
Life, Liberty, Equality, and property.

State government=
Laws, Keeping up the state, education, Etc
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 5:10:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 4:18:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
What is the role of government?
To enforce the creed that man should be able to govern himself and his property.
What is the Federal Governments job?
For the United States, the best use of the Federal Government is for foreign relations.
I believe that the role of the federal government is to PROTECT.
Federal government=
Life, Liberty, Equality, and property.
In what way could the federal government protect my life? Protect is the wrong word.
State government=
Laws, Keeping up the state, education, Etc
"Laws" is a generalization. Perhaps you mean enforcing laws.
What is included in keeping up the state?
Why do you believe education should be stolen from the taxpayer?
What is included in etc.?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 5:11:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 4:18:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
What is the role of government?

To secure for the ruling class the ability to exploit the vast majority.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 5:18:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 5:10:50 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 10/22/2010 4:18:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
What is the role of government?
To enforce the creed that man should be able to govern himself and his property.
What is the Federal Governments job?
For the United States, the best use of the Federal Government is for foreign relations.

Defense would fall under protecting life.

I believe that the role of the federal government is to PROTECT.
Federal government=
Life, Liberty, Equality, and property.
In what way could the federal government protect my life? Protect is the wrong word.

A universal code of murder.
No one can kill another one enforced through every state.

State government=
Laws, Keeping up the state, education, Etc
"Laws" is a generalization. Perhaps you mean enforcing laws.

Yes, and allowing for the people to protect themselves though law.
(Tort Law etc)

What is included in keeping up the state?

Roads, clean up, snow removal.

Why do you believe education should be stolen from the taxpayer?

B/c everyone pays into it through state tax. Public education.

What is included in etc.?

The same things the states take care of know
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 6:49:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 5:10:50 PM, wjmelements wrote:
In what way could the federal government protect my life? Protect is the wrong word.

Protection against foreign invaders, protection of citizens from wrongs committed against them by other citizens

State government=
What is included in etc.?

Building and maintaining public institutions and public works that the private sector could not profitably provide.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 9:49:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A government is a centralized institution comprised of publicly ordained officials presiding over subsidiary associations meant to maintain an accepted normative social structure.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A government is an insurance company that protects against stupidity. People are stupid from time to time and the damage caused by the stupidity is shared throughout the whole. People also have an incentive not to be stupid, because they will be punished. They also have the knowledge that other people seek to prevent their own stupidity for the same reason.

To not have a government is to be subject to the stupidity of others with absolutely no protection whatsoever.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 10:04:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
A government is an insurance company that protects against stupidity. People are stupid from time to time and the damage caused by the stupidity is shared throughout the whole. People also have an incentive not to be stupid, because they will be punished. They also have the knowledge that other people seek to prevent their own stupidity for the same reason.

To not have a government is to be subject to the stupidity of others with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

Humans are stupid..thus..we need humans to protect us...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 10:09:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:

To not have a government is to be subject to the stupidity of others with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

I could totally agree with that!
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 5:34:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
A government is an insurance company that protects against stupidity.

A government is an insurance company that accepts responsibility without accepting liability.

All my insurance companies in real life are actually liable for the things they protect me against.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 10:56:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
A government is an insurance company that protects against stupidity. People are stupid from time to time and the damage caused by the stupidity is shared throughout the whole. People also have an incentive not to be stupid, because they will be punished. They also have the knowledge that other people seek to prevent their own stupidity for the same reason.

To not have a government is to be subject to the stupidity of others with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

Your argument is absurd. To act in a manner that is stupid is to act in a way that is inexpedient. By definition, then ,one has an incentive to not act in a stupid manner.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:00:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/22/2010 10:04:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
A government is an insurance company that protects against stupidity. People are stupid from time to time and the damage caused by the stupidity is shared throughout the whole. People also have an incentive not to be stupid, because they will be punished. They also have the knowledge that other people seek to prevent their own stupidity for the same reason.

To not have a government is to be subject to the stupidity of others with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

Humans are stupid..thus..we need humans to protect us...

People less prone to stupidity.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:11:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:00:28 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/22/2010 10:04:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
A government is an insurance company that protects against stupidity. People are stupid from time to time and the damage caused by the stupidity is shared throughout the whole. People also have an incentive not to be stupid, because they will be punished. They also have the knowledge that other people seek to prevent their own stupidity for the same reason.

To not have a government is to be subject to the stupidity of others with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

Humans are stupid..thus..we need humans to protect us...

People less prone to stupidity.

But they're chosen by the people who are.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:11:40 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:00:28 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/22/2010 10:04:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/22/2010 10:01:27 PM, Kleptin wrote:
A government is an insurance company that protects against stupidity. People are stupid from time to time and the damage caused by the stupidity is shared throughout the whole. People also have an incentive not to be stupid, because they will be punished. They also have the knowledge that other people seek to prevent their own stupidity for the same reason.

To not have a government is to be subject to the stupidity of others with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

Humans are stupid..thus..we need humans to protect us...

People less prone to stupidity.

But they're chosen by the people who are.

They're not stupid if they bother to vote, seeign as you constantly remind us roughly 50% of people actually vote.

That said, Kleptin identifies everyone as being prone to stupid things, but I think there are only a small portion of people prone to extremely stupid things. A very small portion.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:32:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:33:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:32:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

http://www.essortment.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:36:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

I wouldn't call all people who vote 'stupid' but I'd be hesitant to call them smart because they do vote. I would say that only 10% of Americans vote with knowledge of the political platforms and campaign promises. The other 90% either follow the 'nature of the times' or stick to a political party regardless of the candidate. Can we really trust that? <shrugs>
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:15:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
People vote out of an emotional desire to be part of the community. I think that's great. So if voting makes you more socially in tune, do it. But the practical argument against voting still holds; people are ignorant if they think their vote is likely to make a difference.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:34:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:32:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

J.H. Huebert is not a political scientist, his claims are not backed by empirical evidence.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:36:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:36:49 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

I wouldn't call all people who vote 'stupid' but I'd be hesitant to call them smart because they do vote. I would say that only 10% of Americans vote with knowledge of the political platforms and campaign promises. The other 90% either follow the 'nature of the times' or stick to a political party regardless of the candidate. Can we really trust that? <shrugs>

Where is the efficacy!!!
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:42:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Political apathy toward voting is ignorant. Political scientists have deemed it so empirically. Even if ignorant people vote there is always the miracle of aggregation!!!!
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:48:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 12:33:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:32:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

http://www.essortment.com...

I post a link that explains how your vote makes no marginal difference and you reply with a piece of statist propaganda.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:51:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 1:34:21 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:32:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

J.H. Huebert is not a political scientist,

What do you call the fallacy that's the opposite of the argument from authority?

his claims are not backed by empirical evidence.

Umm, yes they are. When was the last time you voted in a major election and were decisive?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:53:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 1:51:05 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 1:34:21 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:32:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

J.H. Huebert is not a political scientist,

What do you call the fallacy that's the opposite of the argument from authority?

He's ad hominem-ing.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 1:54:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/23/2010 1:51:05 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 1:34:21 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:32:07 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:27:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:24:48 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 10/23/2010 12:15:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They're not stupid if they bother to vote,

Just the opposite.

Nope.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

J.H. Huebert is not a political scientist,

What do you call the fallacy that's the opposite of the argument from authority?

his claims are not backed by empirical evidence.

: Umm, yes they are. When was the last time you voted in a major election and were decisive?

What about Florida in 2000?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.