Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What's wrong with Ted Cruz?

AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 4:02:47 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I prefer to hear from Conservatives more than Liberals, but I'm prepared to hear anything. I'm on the brink of endorsing him, and I want to hear you brilliant people dissuade me. Please give me any reason that you think Ted Cruz is NOT the best Republican running for 2016.

I will ignore any sassy answers along the line of "What isn't wrong with Cruz??", "He's the anti-Christ.", "He looks like a turtle." etc.
thett3
Posts: 14,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Ted Cruz portrays himself as Donald Trump lite...but he wasn't two years ago. Then, when libertarianism appeared ascendent, he was Ron Paul lite.

Cruz is not a serial flip flopper as much as he is a chameleon, a charlatan, disguising himself as whatever he thinks is advantageous at the time. In Iowa he's a good ol' fashioned God n' Guns conservative. In New York City, when he's offering himself for purchase by wealthy donors, he isn't insulting New York values.

Cruz is, other than Trump, the smartest individual running for president--he's also a complete snake. If you read about the guys life story, it's incredibly obvious that he's been preparing to run for president every minute of it. In a different age, that wouldn't really be a big deal. Nothing wrong with ambition. But which ambition is nobler, ambition for its own sake or ambition that comes from a burning desire to fix what we all know is broken? If you're a conservative or a libertarian, you *have* to know that America needs a drastic change very soon if it is to survive. A transformation. If they both went to Hogwarts, Ted Cruz would be a stereotypical Slytherin. Trump is obviously a Gryffindor. Both have their place, but which kind of leader is more transformative?

Ted Cruz is bought and paid for by wealthy donors. The man whose wife is a Goldman Sachs executive is gonna be tough on wall street and fight for you. Yeah, right. Ann Coulter noted in an interview that Trump is one of the few people running for president whose life will be made significantly worse for it. Does that sound like Cruz? There's no way you're not tired of being bent over backwards and ravaged by politicians. And you're going to select a politician over the only non-politician with the ability and the balls to stick it to these people in decades?

Cruz comes off as slimy and inauthentic. There's a reason for this: it's because he's slimy and inauthentic. If you think that he actually believes half of what he says you're delusional--he's a highly trained debater who can speak passionately about any subject. You have no idea what you're getting with Cruz other than that he's a guy who wants more than anything to be president and has spent his entire life preparing to meet that goal. His ambitions are focused on himself. Compare this to Trump, who is notoriously blunt and who is losing tens of millions and dozens of friends by running.

Cruz is unelectable. Trump inspires passion and hope among the dispossessed and the disaffected. There are millions of culturally conservative people, more than enough to swing any election. who will not, ever, go out and vote for a politician. I'm not voting if the nominee isn't Trump and neither is anyone in my family. That isn't at all unique. There are millions and millions of us. Voter turnout is less than 60%. Trump is the only way to motivate many of these people.

Is that enough reason? He is a classic politician, albeit better than most, but he's unelectable and he will not make America great again.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 4:47:57 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM, thett3 wrote:

I don't think Trump is losing millions, yet. But he would be willing too. Trump is running for president for the same reason he bought the Plaza hotel: the beauty of it, and of what occupying the space means.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 4:55:03 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:47:57 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM, thett3 wrote:

I don't think Trump is losing millions, yet. But he would be willing too. Trump is running for president for the same reason he bought the Plaza hotel: the beauty of it, and of what occupying the space means.

He forfeited the chance to host The Apprentice which was millions of dollars and he's lost a lot of business ties--though not as many as someone less wealthy would've. Money talks.

I have a lot of theories for why Trump is running, but it's incredibly obvious why Cruz is running and it was incredibly obvious from the first I really heard of him that he WOULD run. His entire life has been leading up to this
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 4:57:37 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:02:47 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
I prefer to hear from Conservatives more than Liberals, but I'm prepared to hear anything. I'm on the brink of endorsing him, and I want to hear you brilliant people dissuade me. Please give me any reason that you think Ted Cruz is NOT the best Republican running for 2016.

I will ignore any sassy answers along the line of "What isn't wrong with Cruz??", "He's the anti-Christ.", "He looks like a turtle." etc.

In addition to what Thett says, the basic problem with Cruz is the disjunction between what he says and what he is.

Cruz says he's an average American, but graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law, who refused to even study at Harvard with other students who didn't go to Ivy League schools.

Cruz says he's tough on immigration, but supported a plan that would have legalized or granted legal status to tens of thousands of illegal immigrants. (What Rubio said the other night was true, btw.)

Cruz derides New York Values, but his wife was a Wall Street Executive.

Cruz talks about how hard he sacrificed to run his campaign; but his wife's former employer (Goldman Sachs) provided him with "float money" (i.e. a loan that he only got because of his wife's connections). Ironically, Cruz, who champions "hard work" has really only gotten as far as he has because of his wife's political and economic connections.

Cruz's --embarrassingly-- short political career is wrought with more hypocrisy than the totality of Clinton's.

Cruz holds himself out as an originalist, but by that standard would be ineligible to run for the office he seeks.

All of these add up to a "likability" problem, which is just the politically correct way of saying that Ted Cruz comes across as a manipulative, calculating, machiavellian whorish snake who seeks power for its own sake.

And let me be clear:

I could sit in my fancy European recliner and write attack ads against Cruz in my boxer briefs while totally stoned. It would be easy. Sorting through his political history is a counter-researcher's wet dream.

Tearing him apart would be easier, and more satisfying than tearing apart Hillary; for the simple reason that the "chickens" have already come home to "roost" with Hillary time and again, and she is at her best when she is in the limelight. But Cruz, on the other hand, squirms like a snake when someone has their foot on his throat.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:00:56 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:55:03 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:47:57 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM, thett3 wrote:

I don't think Trump is losing millions, yet. But he would be willing too. Trump is running for president for the same reason he bought the Plaza hotel: the beauty of it, and of what occupying the space means.

He forfeited the chance to host The Apprentice which was millions of dollars and he's lost a lot of business ties--though not as many as someone less wealthy would've. Money talks.

I have a lot of theories for why Trump is running, but it's incredibly obvious why Cruz is running and it was incredibly obvious from the first I really heard of him that he WOULD run. His entire life has been leading up to this

Because being president has never been as good as making a few more million right? Yet another season of a cheesy TeeVee show, or the WhiteHouse? Let me see....
thett3
Posts: 14,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:02:06 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:57:37 AM, YYW wrote:

I could sit in my fancy European recliner and write attack ads against Cruz in my boxer briefs while totally stoned. It would be easy. Sorting through his political history is a counter-researcher's wet dream.


This. And I think Cruz is self aware enough to know this which is why he held back in the early debates and let other candidates have their turn at being the anti-Trump. Didn't want to peak too early.

I have absolutely not idea what his strategy for the general election is. Literally none. I had a theory that Cruz didn't actually want to win this time but rather to establish himself as the "next in line" and reform his image somewhat before running again. But if he wins the nomination he's so f*cked for the general.

Trump on the other hand...he's an interesting case. I'm not sure if he can win because the way in which he would win is uncharted, but he has a much much better chance than Cruz does
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:04:52 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:55:03 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:47:57 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM, thett3 wrote:

I don't think Trump is losing millions, yet. But he would be willing too. Trump is running for president for the same reason he bought the Plaza hotel: the beauty of it, and of what occupying the space means.

He forfeited the chance to host The Apprentice which was millions of dollars and he's lost a lot of business ties--though not as many as someone less wealthy would've. Money talks.

The TV show will be there for him, one way or another. But the chance to run for president is once in a lifetime, and Trump's instinct for where the country is is better than anyone else I've seen since LBJ.

What's curious is that Trump has been politically engaged for decades now. He knows the ropes, but he's never been inside the ring. He also hates the people inside the ring on both sides; and I get the sense that he hates where the Republican party has gone since Bush.

Really, if Romney had won, Trump would have never bothered, but the historical pattern of when Trump gets involved in things are these: (1) there is money to be made; (2) something is beautiful in and of itself that he wants to own; and (3) he is dissatisfied with the status quo and thinks he can do a better job.

I don't think Trump can do a better job than Clinton or Obama, or probably Sanders; but he does. He also thinks he's better than all of the other Republicans, and I probably agree with him on that. He's by far the most socially liberal of all of them. He is uniquely concerned about keeping American jobs from going overseas (something that only Sanders has even addressed as an issue, other than Trump). He is not anti-Union (unlike every other Republican in the United States). He supports gay marriage (unlike almost every other Republican). He supports higher taxes for the rich (unlike every other Republican). He actually works for his money and is not a whore (unlike every other Republican).

So, if it came down to it... if I had to chose a Republican to vote for, Trump would be the guy.

I have a lot of theories for why Trump is running, but it's incredibly obvious why Cruz is running and it was incredibly obvious from the first I really heard of him that he WOULD run. His entire life has been leading up to this
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:06:05 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 5:00:56 AM, TBR wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:55:03 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:47:57 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM, thett3 wrote:

I don't think Trump is losing millions, yet. But he would be willing too. Trump is running for president for the same reason he bought the Plaza hotel: the beauty of it, and of what occupying the space means.

He forfeited the chance to host The Apprentice which was millions of dollars and he's lost a lot of business ties--though not as many as someone less wealthy would've. Money talks.

I have a lot of theories for why Trump is running, but it's incredibly obvious why Cruz is running and it was incredibly obvious from the first I really heard of him that he WOULD run. His entire life has been leading up to this

Because being president has never been as good as making a few more million right? Yet another season of a cheesy TeeVee show, or the WhiteHouse? Let me see....

I'm just saying Trump is sacrificing a lot to run. We can quibble about if what he's losing are things he values (like tens of millions of dollars, not being absolutely despised and constantly mocked by half the country, and not living under the constant threat of assassination) but there's no quibbling with Cruz. That's really my point. It's at least conceivable that Trump is doing what out of a sense of obligation and is essentially sacrificing himself. Could even the most hardcore Cruz supporter make that case for him?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:14:01 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 5:02:06 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:57:37 AM, YYW wrote:

I could sit in my fancy European recliner and write attack ads against Cruz in my boxer briefs while totally stoned. It would be easy. Sorting through his political history is a counter-researcher's wet dream.


This. And I think Cruz is self aware enough to know this which is why he held back in the early debates and let other candidates have their turn at being the anti-Trump. Didn't want to peak too early.

I don't know that I agree with that. I think Cruz has a likability problem, and is aware of its existence, but vastly overestimates his ability to lie to and successfully deceive the American people. Even if people can't articulate why he feels like a devious, manipulative snake, they still are smart enough to sense that something is vastly wrong with Cruz.

And I'll tell you what's wrong with him: he's a psychopath and a pathological liar. And I can also tell you how I'd tear him apart, too. I'd bait him, ever so gently, and play inside his mind until he unraveled himself, tormenting him with what I can figure out about his personality. I'd enjoy doing it, too. There is nothing quite so rewarding as seeing a man like that squirm.

What's good is that Trump is the best at playing mind games that I have seen in the Republican party since Nixon. He sizes people up better than anyone else I've seen, and he knows *exactly* where to strike them, in a way that is going to maximize impact. But he only says what he has to, and doesn't say more. The reality is that Trump isn't even going to have to get the counter-researcher's on Cruz. Trump reads people well enough that he will be able to make Cruz squirm and scream on his own... which I will delight in watching.

Cruz, likewise, will NOT be able to overcome Trump. Whipping Jeb and Rubio was easy; and would be easy, because they are both weak, spineless and have inferiority complexes. But Trump, in contrast, has been around the block enough times to have seen and slaughtered people like Cruz in business, where they often rise to some levels of success, before they encounter a guy like Trump (or me) who will go out of their way to kill their careers because they recognize them for the danger that they are.

I really think a motivating factor for Trump may have been the fact that Cruz was in the race, and showed potential... but Idk.

I have absolutely not idea what his strategy for the general election is. Literally none. I had a theory that Cruz didn't actually want to win this time but rather to establish himself as the "next in line" and reform his image somewhat before running again. But if he wins the nomination he's so f*cked for the general.

I think Cruz wanted to win. He's campaigning like he wants to win, and his infrastructure supports that inference. Cruz is laying all of the cards down. Trump, on the other hand, is playing it from the heart.

Trump on the other hand...he's an interesting case. I'm not sure if he can win because the way in which he would win is uncharted, but he has a much much better chance than Cruz does

I think he can win.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:43:09 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 5:06:05 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/17/2016 5:00:56 AM, TBR wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:55:03 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:47:57 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM, thett3 wrote:

I don't think Trump is losing millions, yet. But he would be willing too. Trump is running for president for the same reason he bought the Plaza hotel: the beauty of it, and of what occupying the space means.

He forfeited the chance to host The Apprentice which was millions of dollars and he's lost a lot of business ties--though not as many as someone less wealthy would've. Money talks.

I have a lot of theories for why Trump is running, but it's incredibly obvious why Cruz is running and it was incredibly obvious from the first I really heard of him that he WOULD run. His entire life has been leading up to this

Because being president has never been as good as making a few more million right? Yet another season of a cheesy TeeVee show, or the WhiteHouse? Let me see....

I'm just saying Trump is sacrificing a lot to run. We can quibble about if what he's losing are things he values (like tens of millions of dollars, not being absolutely despised and constantly mocked by half the country, and not living under the constant threat of assassination) but there's no quibbling with Cruz. That's really my point. It's at least conceivable that Trump is doing what out of a sense of obligation and is essentially sacrificing himself. Could even the most hardcore Cruz supporter make that case for him?

I'm not disagreeing with your Cruz assignment, but mocking the idea that Trump would be "giving up" by choosing the White House over a reality TV show. That is how shallow this run is. WH, entertainment TV? Meh, potato patoto.
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:04:22 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:36:53 AM, thett3 wrote:
Ted Cruz portrays himself as Donald Trump lite...but he wasn't two years ago. Then, when libertarianism appeared ascendent, he was Ron Paul lite.

I've always said he is the more politically intelligent version of Donald Trump. Both shake up the establishment, but Trump is a hair trigger while Cruz evaluates his options. Cruz I've always viewed as more principled. For Trump, I feel like I could beat him in a debate by just asking "Why?"

Cruz is not a serial flip flopper as much as he is a chameleon, a charlatan, disguising himself as whatever he thinks is advantageous at the time. In Iowa he's a good ol' fashioned God n' Guns conservative. In New York City, when he's offering himself for purchase by wealthy donors, he isn't insulting New York values.

I think our system is structured in a way where you've got to shift right and left in order to gain any ground in the polls. I think Cruz acknowledges this, and he uses it to the best of his ability (which clearly he isn't great at or his disguising strategy would work better than it has). Also, he's been Gond n' Guns since he ran for Senate.

Cruz is, other than Trump, the smartest individual running for president--he's also a complete snake. If you read about the guys life story, it's incredibly obvious that he's been preparing to run for president every minute of it. In a different age, that wouldn't really be a big deal. Nothing wrong with ambition. But which ambition is nobler, ambition for its own sake or ambition that comes from a burning desire to fix what we all know is broken? If you're a conservative or a libertarian, you *have* to know that America needs a drastic change very soon if it is to survive. A transformation. If they both went to Hogwarts, Ted Cruz would be a stereotypical Slytherin. Trump is obviously a Gryffindor. Both have their place, but which kind of leader is more transformative?

It's hard to condemn Cruz for aspiring to be president. I know tons of people who see the US in a shi**y situation and want to do something about it.

Ted Cruz is bought and paid for by wealthy donors. The man whose wife is a Goldman Sachs executive is gonna be tough on wall street and fight for you. Yeah, right. Ann Coulter noted in an interview that Trump is one of the few people running for president whose life will be made significantly worse for it. Does that sound like Cruz? There's no way you're not tired of being bent over backwards and ravaged by politicians. And you're going to select a politician over the only non-politician with the ability and the balls to stick it to these people in decades?

Here is the way I see it:

Trump becomes a very wealthy businessman. I'll even say he's a great business man. Throughout his career, he donates to Democrats and Republicans alike. That either means he is a flip flopper as well, or he believe it's good to have anyone with power "owe you." Then he runs for president. He could be doing so because he wants to fix the US, or maybe he's just doing it to see if he can. I view it more as a "what the hell" act than a noble one. You can tell by the fact that he has gotten this far without having a solid/steady/detailed platform.

Cruz went to Harvard, a VERY liberal school, and graduates in a prestigious manner while still maintaining his conservative mindset. I have indeed heard he can be an a**hole, but we've had a**hole presidents before. If he is a snake, why would Cruz maintain such strong conservative views in a school surrounded by liberals and later marry a Republican Christian woman? With that much commitment to his grand scheme of becoming president, you would think he is a Sith Lord.
Then Cruz runs for Senate in 2012 and shockingly wins, and he later runs for president as soon as possible in 2016. All slimy, inauthentic politicians run for office, obtain a position of power, and contently remain in that position for as long as possible (and maybe run for President after developing a powerful name over time). Not to mention the huge advantage Cruz would have if he moved parallel with the republican establishment, but he chooses to intentionally run against them. Hell, the Republican establishment would pick TRUMP over Cruz.

Cruz comes off as slimy and inauthentic. There's a reason for this: it's because he's slimy and inauthentic. If you think that he actually believes half of what he says you're delusional--he's a highly trained debater who can speak passionately about any subject. You have no idea what you're getting with Cruz other than that he's a guy who wants more than anything to be president and has spent his entire life preparing to meet that goal. His ambitions are focused on himself. Compare this to Trump, who is notoriously blunt and who is losing tens of millions and dozens of friends by running.

Cruz is unelectable. Trump inspires passion and hope among the dispossessed and the disaffected. There are millions of culturally conservative people, more than enough to swing any election. who will not, ever, go out and vote for a politician. I'm not voting if the nominee isn't Trump and neither is anyone in my family. That isn't at all unique. There are millions and millions of us. Voter turnout is less than 60%. Trump is the only way to motivate many of these people.

I will admit that Cruz seems to be unelectable at this moment in the game, but people also doubted him when he was running for Senate. I think we need to stop underestimating his ability to campaign effectively, dominate debates, offer a fresh platform, and win donors at the same time.

Is that enough reason? He is a classic politician, albeit better than most, but he's unelectable and he will not make America great again.
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:10:03 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Okay, I'm observing a trend in this thread. I like Trump, but how on Earth do y'all watch him in these debates and not say "Geez, this guy is a fool"?
ironslippers
Posts: 511
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:14:36 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Whats wrong with Ted Cruz is he is typical of any career politician regardless of any political descriptions - republican, democrat, left, right, liberal, conservative, socialist, blah blah, and blah. He tells the public one thing and his donors another and does whatever it takes to keep his job, well that may be politics, but I don't believe that is in the best interest of United States citizens. The only candidate I've heard talk about election reform is Rand Paul and the only candidate that is setting an example is Donald Trump. Time to take the big money and bias media out of politics and replace it with character weighted voting.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
distraff
Posts: 1,004
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:18:23 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:02:47 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
I prefer to hear from Conservatives more than Liberals, but I'm prepared to hear anything. I'm on the brink of endorsing him, and I want to hear you brilliant people dissuade me. Please give me any reason that you think Ted Cruz is NOT the best Republican running for 2016.

I will ignore any sassy answers along the line of "What isn't wrong with Cruz??", "He's the anti-Christ.", "He looks like a turtle." etc.

1: Because he spews lies.
http://www.politifact.com...
2: He doesn't know how to get along with the people he works with. He is hated by both parties. How is a president like this going to get anything done?
3: I strongly disagree with his far-right positions on gay marriage, giving most of the tax cuts to the super-rich, anti-climate science, and much more.
4: He is a self-centered grand stander who will trash other people even republicans for his own gain. This is why everyone in congress absolutely hates him.
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:22:17 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 6:14:36 AM, ironslippers wrote:
Whats wrong with Ted Cruz is he is typical of any career politician regardless of any political descriptions - republican, democrat, left, right, liberal, conservative, socialist, blah blah, and blah. He tells the public one thing and his donors another and does whatever it takes to keep his job, well that may be politics, but I don't believe that is in the best interest of United States citizens. The only candidate I've heard talk about election reform is Rand Paul and the only candidate that is setting an example is Donald Trump. Time to take the big money and bias media out of politics and replace it with character weighted voting.

First off, he is not a career politician. He has been in office since 2012, so "career politician" doesn't apply. Career Politicians aren't hated by their own party. The fact that Fox News bashes him consistently proves he is not a career politician. The reason he goes back and forth between the public and donors is because he knows that is the only way to get anywhere in this political system.

Rand Paul is my favorite candidate, but he rejected the unavoidable fact that you need donors to succeed in the race. I respect that, and I hope he raised concern for reform in doing so, but Cruz bit the bullet.
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:30:34 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 6:18:23 AM, distraff wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:02:47 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
I prefer to hear from Conservatives more than Liberals, but I'm prepared to hear anything. I'm on the brink of endorsing him, and I want to hear you brilliant people dissuade me. Please give me any reason that you think Ted Cruz is NOT the best Republican running for 2016.

I will ignore any sassy answers along the line of "What isn't wrong with Cruz??", "He's the anti-Christ.", "He looks like a turtle." etc.

1: Because he spews lies.
http://www.politifact.com...
2: He doesn't know how to get along with the people he works with. He is hated by both parties. How is a president like this going to get anything done?
3: I strongly disagree with his far-right positions on gay marriage, giving most of the tax cuts to the super-rich, anti-climate science, and much more.
4: He is a self-centered grand stander who will trash other people even republicans for his own gain. This is why everyone in congress absolutely hates him.

1. Politifact is incredibly biased in its fact checking. It's absurd to take his rhetoric and say "gaping hole in argument."
2. Being hated by both parties is a good thing. The two party system is destroying this country.
3. I disagree with him on some of those too.
4. The Republican Party is splitting before your eyes, so "trashing Republicans" is basically the same as trashing liberals.
ironslippers
Posts: 511
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:35:46 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 6:22:17 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
At 1/17/2016 6:14:36 AM, ironslippers wrote:
Whats wrong with Ted Cruz is he is typical of any career politician regardless of any political descriptions - republican, democrat, left, right, liberal, conservative, socialist, blah blah, and blah. He tells the public one thing and his donors another and does whatever it takes to keep his job, well that may be politics, but I don't believe that is in the best interest of United States citizens. The only candidate I've heard talk about election reform is Rand Paul and the only candidate that is setting an example is Donald Trump. Time to take the big money and bias media out of politics and replace it with character weighted voting.

First off, he is not a career politician. He has been in office since 2012, so "career politician" doesn't apply. Career Politicians aren't hated by their own party. The fact that Fox News bashes him consistently proves he is not a career politician. The reason he goes back and forth between the public and donors is because he knows that is the only way to get anywhere in this political system.

Wikipedia - Cruz was the director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission, an associate deputy attorney general at the United States Department of Justice, and domestic policy advisor to President George W. Bush on the 2000 George W. Bush presidential campaign. He served as Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to 2008, appointed by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. He was the first Hispanic, and the longest-serving solicitor general in Texas history. Cruz was also an adjunct professor of law from 2004 to 2009 at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation.

That looks like the resume of a career politician to me

Rand Paul is my favorite candidate, but he rejected the unavoidable fact that you need donors to succeed in the race. I respect that, and I hope he raised concern for reform in doing so, but Cruz bit the bullet.

Rand Paul is the only intellectual running, though I personally question some of his policies. Its a shame he doesn't get the respect he deserves
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:51:42 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 6:35:46 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 1/17/2016 6:22:17 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
At 1/17/2016 6:14:36 AM, ironslippers wrote:
Whats wrong with Ted Cruz is he is typical of any career politician regardless of any political descriptions - republican, democrat, left, right, liberal, conservative, socialist, blah blah, and blah. He tells the public one thing and his donors another and does whatever it takes to keep his job, well that may be politics, but I don't believe that is in the best interest of United States citizens. The only candidate I've heard talk about election reform is Rand Paul and the only candidate that is setting an example is Donald Trump. Time to take the big money and bias media out of politics and replace it with character weighted voting.

First off, he is not a career politician. He has been in office since 2012, so "career politician" doesn't apply. Career Politicians aren't hated by their own party. The fact that Fox News bashes him consistently proves he is not a career politician. The reason he goes back and forth between the public and donors is because he knows that is the only way to get anywhere in this political system.

Wikipedia - Cruz was the director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission, an associate deputy attorney general at the United States Department of Justice, and domestic policy advisor to President George W. Bush on the 2000 George W. Bush presidential campaign. He served as Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to 2008, appointed by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. He was the first Hispanic, and the longest-serving solicitor general in Texas history. Cruz was also an adjunct professor of law from 2004 to 2009 at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation.

That looks like the resume of a career politician to me

Why would Cruz immediately run for president then? Why wouldn't he remain Senator forever like someone like Lyndsey Graham?

Rand Paul is my favorite candidate, but he rejected the unavoidable fact that you need donors to succeed in the race. I respect that, and I hope he raised concern for reform in doing so, but Cruz bit the bullet.

Rand Paul is the only intellectual running, though I personally question some of his policies. Its a shame he doesn't get the respect he deserves

I think Paul ran too early. I'm sure he's left his mark on the race, but the Republican establishment is too strong for him to break away. In a decade, I bet there will be more Rand Pauls running than Jeb Bushes.
distraff
Posts: 1,004
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:55:40 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 6:30:34 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
At 1/17/2016 6:18:23 AM, distraff wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:02:47 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
I prefer to hear from Conservatives more than Liberals, but I'm prepared to hear anything. I'm on the brink of endorsing him, and I want to hear you brilliant people dissuade me. Please give me any reason that you think Ted Cruz is NOT the best Republican running for 2016.

I will ignore any sassy answers along the line of "What isn't wrong with Cruz??", "He's the anti-Christ.", "He looks like a turtle." etc.

1: Because he spews lies.
http://www.politifact.com...
2: He doesn't know how to get along with the people he works with. He is hated by both parties. How is a president like this going to get anything done?
3: I strongly disagree with his far-right positions on gay marriage, giving most of the tax cuts to the super-rich, anti-climate science, and much more.
4: He is a self-centered grand stander who will trash other people even republicans for his own gain. This is why everyone in congress absolutely hates him.

1. Politifact is incredibly biased in its fact checking. It's absurd to take his rhetoric and say "gaping hole in argument."

People on the right say that but rarely do they bring up any concrete examples. Politifact will tell you exactly what he said was a lie, and give you a big long explanation of why his statements don't fit the fact and provide sources.

For example Ted Cruz said:
"The Democrats in the Senate last year introduced a constitutional amendment to repeal the free speech protections of the First Amendment."

However what this amendment is really saying is that it would limit the amount that corporations can plug money into super pacs to buy off elections. This does not amount to a repeal of free speech. Ted Cruz just loves to bend the truth around.
http://www.politifact.com...

2. Being hated by both parties is a good thing. The two party system is destroying this country.

In what way do you hate the system? Is it all the discord? Ted Cruz has been responsible of so much discord that even congress that is known for discord is sick of him.

3. I disagree with him on some of those too.

I am a moderate. His positions seem just as insane as Clinton's.

4. The Republican Party is splitting before your eyes, so "trashing Republicans" is basically the same as trashing liberals.

Ted Cruz was responsible for that fight in 2013 over shutting down the government over Obamacare. This tactic was never going to work because back then the Senate and the presidency were controlled by democrats and resulted in the Republicans backing down and most people blaming the GOP house for this.
ironslippers
Posts: 511
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:19:39 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 6:51:42 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
At 1/17/2016 6:35:46 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 1/17/2016 6:22:17 AM, AdamEsk wrote:
At 1/17/2016 6:14:36 AM, ironslippers wrote:
Whats wrong with Ted Cruz is he is typical of any career politician regardless of any political descriptions - republican, democrat, left, right, liberal, conservative, socialist, blah blah, and blah. He tells the public one thing and his donors another and does whatever it takes to keep his job, well that may be politics, but I don't believe that is in the best interest of United States citizens. The only candidate I've heard talk about election reform is Rand Paul and the only candidate that is setting an example is Donald Trump. Time to take the big money and bias media out of politics and replace it with character weighted voting.

First off, he is not a career politician. He has been in office since 2012, so "career politician" doesn't apply. Career Politicians aren't hated by their own party. The fact that Fox News bashes him consistently proves he is not a career politician. The reason he goes back and forth between the public and donors is because he knows that is the only way to get anywhere in this political system.

Wikipedia - Cruz was the director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission, an associate deputy attorney general at the United States Department of Justice, and domestic policy advisor to President George W. Bush on the 2000 George W. Bush presidential campaign. He served as Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to 2008, appointed by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. He was the first Hispanic, and the longest-serving solicitor general in Texas history. Cruz was also an adjunct professor of law from 2004 to 2009 at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation.

That looks like the resume of a career politician to me

Why would Cruz immediately run for president then? Why wouldn't he remain Senator forever like someone like Lyndsey Graham?
I'd be speculating on that ;)

Rand Paul is my favorite candidate, but he rejected the unavoidable fact that you need donors to succeed in the race. I respect that, and I hope he raised concern for reform in doing so, but Cruz bit the bullet.

Rand Paul is the only intellectual running, though I personally question some of his policies. Its a shame he doesn't get the respect he deserves

I think Paul ran too early. I'm sure he's left his mark on the race, but the Republican establishment is too strong for him to break away.

He's definitely the dark horse and I hope hope he catches a more suitable stride. to at least bring his concerns to the fore front of the election I also hope he stays in the game for many years to come

In a decade, I bet there will be more Rand Pauls running than Jeb Bushes.

I hope you're correct. The best/only part about Jeb is he's proving that not everyone is a sucker for the most well connected and financially backed candidate.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 4:23:28 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
4. The Republican Party is splitting before your eyes, so "trashing Republicans" is basically the same as trashing liberals.

What do you mean by this?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:33:38 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 4:23:28 PM, TBR wrote:
4. The Republican Party is splitting before your eyes, so "trashing Republicans" is basically the same as trashing liberals.

What do you mean by this?

Probably that it's becoming conservatives vs. libertarians (plus the independents).
President of DDO
Daltonian
Posts: 4,797
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:37:10 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 5:33:38 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:23:28 PM, TBR wrote:
4. The Republican Party is splitting before your eyes, so "trashing Republicans" is basically the same as trashing liberals.

What do you mean by this?

Probably that it's becoming conservatives vs. libertarians (plus the independents).
Hey, welcome back! :)
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:17:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 5:33:38 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 1/17/2016 4:23:28 PM, TBR wrote:
4. The Republican Party is splitting before your eyes, so "trashing Republicans" is basically the same as trashing liberals.

What do you mean by this?

Probably that it's becoming conservatives vs. libertarians (plus the independents).

Yes. I predict the "establishment" Republicans will die out in a decade. It'll then be those who want more government intervention (liberals) and those who want less (libertarians).
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:52:38 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
In what way do you hate the system? Is it all the discord? Ted Cruz has been responsible of so much discord that even congress that is known for discord is sick of him.

The United States is not supposed to have two major parties. George Washington warned us from the very beginning (back then they were called "factions"). When a democracy splits into two major parties, this practically forces younger generations into identical views and policies of the party their surrounded in. Not only that, but it discourages outsiders from running for office. On the bright side, this election is the first time in a while we've seen outsiders gain any ground; this could signal a change in the right direction.

Ted Cruz is part of the outsiders in this situation, so the fact that he helped cause this discord in the Republican party only enhances his resume in my opinion.
distraff
Posts: 1,004
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:21:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 6:52:38 PM, AdamEsk wrote:
In what way do you hate the system? Is it all the discord? Ted Cruz has been responsible of so much discord that even congress that is known for discord is sick of him.

The United States is not supposed to have two major parties. George Washington warned us from the very beginning (back then they were called "factions"). When a democracy splits into two major parties, this practically forces younger generations into identical views and policies of the party their surrounded in. Not only that, but it discourages outsiders from running for office. On the bright side, this election is the first time in a while we've seen outsiders gain any ground; this could signal a change in the right direction.

The way our political system is made means that a two-party system is the only one that will survive. If a third party takes a significant number of votes, most likely it will hurt one of the two parties more than another. This will mean that the party most distant from this third party will be more likely to win.

For example Ralph Nader took 3% of the vote which was unusually high and if Al Gore has had even most of these votes he would have won the election.

When Taft (R) ran against Woodrow Wilson (D), Ted Roosevelt (Formerly R) ran as a third party candidate. Because of this Wilson won even when he got less than 50% of the vote.

Many European countries have far more than two parties, sometimes even five parties. They have this because of their proportional representation systems where a parties representation in congress does not depend on getting more than 50% in each district but on the percentage of people who vote for that party.
http://www.democracy-building.info...

Ted Cruz is part of the outsiders in this situation, so the fact that he helped cause this discord in the Republican party only enhances his resume in my opinion.

So what has he actually gotten done with all this discord exactly?
AdamEsk
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 11:49:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
The United States is not supposed to have two major parties. George Washington warned us from the very beginning (back then they were called "factions"). When a democracy splits into two major parties, this practically forces younger generations into identical views and policies of the party their surrounded in. Not only that, but it discourages outsiders from running for office. On the bright side, this election is the first time in a while we've seen outsiders gain any ground; this could signal a change in the right direction.

The way our political system is made means that a two-party system is the only one that will survive. If a third party takes a significant number of votes, most likely it will hurt one of the two parties more than another. This will mean that the party most distant from this third party will be more likely to win.

I can agree to that, and that is why reform is needed.

For example Ralph Nader took 3% of the vote which was unusually high and if Al Gore has had even most of these votes he would have won the election.

When Taft (R) ran against Woodrow Wilson (D), Ted Roosevelt (Formerly R) ran as a third party candidate. Because of this Wilson won even when he got less than 50% of the vote.

Many European countries have far more than two parties, sometimes even five parties. They have this because of their proportional representation systems where a parties representation in congress does not depend on getting more than 50% in each district but on the percentage of people who vote for that party.
http://www.democracy-building.info...

Ted Cruz is part of the outsiders in this situation, so the fact that he helped cause this discord in the Republican party only enhances his resume in my opinion.

So what has he actually gotten done with all this discord exactly?

The main point is to show republican voters that he (and few others) are willing to fight the establishment. Republican voters are sick of watching the creeps they voted into office just sit there and enjoy the view.