-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 12:36:00 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
This is interesting, the first high profile endorsement Trump got.

Two things:

First, the fact that we even know about this shows how obsessed the media is with Trump. Yeb! got much more prestigious endorsements but nobody heard about them

Secondly, at first I was really surprised because I assumed Palin was a tea-party, hard right radical who would stay away from the moderate Trump but according to 538 she's actually somewhat moderate, just like Trump. Like Trump, she has a reputation for being extremely conservative that just isn't really true.

HORRIBLE day for the Cruz missile
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 12:48:04 AM
At 1/20/2016 12:36:00 AM, thett3 wrote:

Two things:

First, the fact that we even know about this shows how obsessed the media is with Trump. Yeb! got much more prestigious endorsements but nobody heard about them

Secondly, at first I was really surprised because I assumed Palin was a tea-party, hard right radical who would stay away from the moderate Trump but according to 538 she's actually somewhat moderate, just like Trump. Like Trump, she has a reputation for being extremely conservative that just isn't really true.

Sarah Palin is an unprincipled political opportunist who's using this moment to propel herself back to national relevance. This endorsement is more about her than Trump.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 12:51:28 AM
At 1/20/2016 12:48:04 AM, 000ike wrote:

Two things:

Sarah Palin is an unprincipled political opportunist who's using this moment to propel herself back to national relevance. This endorsement is more about her than Trump.

That makes it even better for Trump. If the opportunists are jumping ship from traditional candidates to the Trump train, what does that say?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 12:59:00 AM
Lmao Palin's speech is hilarious and glorious
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:02:18 AM
At 1/20/2016 12:51:28 AM, thett3 wrote:

Two things:

That makes it even better for Trump. If the opportunists are jumping ship from traditional candidates to the Trump train, what does that say?

lol It says the Republican party is doomed.

It is just not part of our nation's destiny that a man so destitute of the character and comportment of a leader should ascend to the highest office . . . and I say this with the understanding that we've had ruthless and unprincipled presidents like Jackson, but never a vulgarian, never one so crass and irremediably stupid that he would embarrass this country for the rest of its existence.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:04:40 AM
I'll bet money that Trump just dangled his shiny keys over her head and thats how he got her endorsement, Palin is a complete retard like that
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:05:52 AM
Ill also bet that Cruz is sad, in his underwear, eating cheetos off of his second chin, at not getting Palin's endorsement as well
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:07:54 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:02:18 AM, 000ike wrote:

Two things:

Does anyone doubt that? Every argument I've seen against the emerging democratic majority theory is complete wishful thinking. The only way the GOP can win over the new America is by becoming more left wing, which will turn off more and more of its traditional base. It's going to be really tough.

It is just not part of our nation's destiny that a man so destitute of the character and comportment of a leader should ascend to the highest office . . . and I say this with the understanding that we've had ruthless and unprincipled presidents like Jackson, but never a vulgarian, never one so crass and irremediably stupid that he would embarrass this country for the rest of its existence.

You know my position on Trump, and you should really rethink yours considering how he manipulated the Republican party into being his b1tch. He's been running a perfect campaign, and he hilariously triggers the left...I mean look at what you just wrote lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:08:17 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:05:52 AM, imabench wrote:
Ill also bet that Cruz is sad, in his underwear, eating cheetos off of his second chin, at not getting Palin's endorsement as well

+1 literally Lol'd
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 1:16:50 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:07:54 AM, thett3 wrote:

Two things:

Does anyone doubt that? Every argument I've seen against the emerging democratic majority theory is complete wishful thinking. The only way the GOP can win over the new America is by becoming more left wing, which will turn off more and more of its traditional base. It's going to be really tough.

I'm not sure about the country becoming more liberal, but the GOP certainly took it upon themselves to fly far from the center near the end of Bush's tenure. Perhaps they only need to rethink that strategy.

You know my position on Trump, and you should really rethink yours considering how he manipulated the Republican party into being his b1tch. He's been running a perfect campaign, and he hilariously triggers the left...I mean look at what you just wrote lol

lol I actually don't... I asked you twice before whether you genuinely want Trump to be president, and your answer was no. But (literally) every opinion you've delivered on this election cycle suggests the opposite, as though you're vacillating between disinterested analyst and dissillusioned crypto-Trump-supporter.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 2:17:04 AM
At 1/20/2016 12:03:26 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com...

https://twitter.com...

Are we ready for this?

Well, no. Not at all.

Now, what this does is bring the loony Christians from Cruz to Trump. Trump needs that in Iowa.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:15:23 AM
At 1/20/2016 1:16:50 AM, 000ike wrote:

Two things:

I'm not sure about the country becoming more liberal, but the GOP certainly took it upon themselves to fly far from the center near the end of Bush's tenure. Perhaps they only need to rethink that strategy.

Not necessarily more liberal in every way, but more democratic. That much is indisputable...Romney would've won in a landslide if he had Reagan's demographics. Just the way it is

lol I actually don't... I asked you twice before whether you genuinely want Trump to be president, and your answer was no. But (literally) every opinion you've delivered on this election cycle suggests the opposite, as though you're vacillating between disinterested analyst and dissillusioned crypto-Trump-supporter.

Well I'm definitely not disinterested. Trump has been the most fascinating (and hilarious) political figure in my lifetime...he's moulding the GOP into his own image by sheer force of will. I'll probably vote for him...but it really doesn't matter what I do. There are no brakes on the Trump train
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:19:06 AM
At 1/20/2016 3:15:23 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 1:16:50 AM, 000ike wrote:

Two things:

Not necessarily more liberal in every way, but more democratic. That much is indisputable...Romney would've won in a landslide if he had Reagan's demographics. Just the way it is

Well I'm definitely not disinterested. Trump has been the most fascinating (and hilarious) political figure in my lifetime...he's moulding the GOP into his own image by sheer force of will. I'll probably vote for him...but it really doesn't matter what I do. There are no brakes on the Trump train

I'm still betting the wheels are going to come off the bus sooner than you expect.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:40:13 AM

I thought you were disinterested, as in impartial. So it seems like you've changed your mind over time, and what was initially trolling gradually transformed into genuine support without any formal declaration of the transition lol

You're telling me that someone who twists his wrist to mimic a disabled person, disrespects a veteran (John McCain) because he was POW, instructs his guards to throw out hecklers in the cold without their jackets, and outrages millions of people across the globe is suitable to lead a country, and indeed the world?.... like, I understand that you like some of his proposals, but do you really not care about any of those things? Should someone so uncouth really possess that kind of authority? It's not even as if you can vouch for his conservative authenticity, this is the same guy who funded Democratic campaigns (Hillary's no less!).... and I don't think anyone is genuinely convinced that his professions of faith to the evangelical crowd are authentic.

To put it in summation, there are 3 reasons why even a staunch conservative would have reason to oppose Trump:
1) He's not a conservative
2) His character is not wholesome or mature
3) He's generated such animus globally

Like,...he is just so thoroughly unfit in every possible way.... I just can't fathom the thought of someone as intelligent and informed as yourself supporting his candidacy. So I'm hoping you'll enlighten me a little here.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:56:23 AM
That would be... disturbing. Actually not really, because the GOP would never have a chance in hell of winning.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:59:36 AM
And just to fester a little bit on that point about religious authenticity,.... he's literally and transparently lying on camera about his faith. NO CHRISTIAN says things like "I don't need to ask for forgiveness, because I don't make mistakes" ... or "TWO Corinthians"

Trump is a spoiled voluptuary with an ego reaching stratospheric proportions . . . the notion that he has the inward sincerity and wholesomeness to 'bow before his lord' is just nothing short of absurd.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:47:23 AM
At 1/20/2016 3:40:13 AM, 000ike wrote:

I thought you were disinterested, as in impartial. So it seems like you've changed your mind over time, and what was initially trolling gradually transformed into genuine support without any formal declaration of the transition lol

You're telling me that someone who twists his wrist to mimic a disabled person, disrespects a veteran (John McCain) because he was POW, instructs his guards to throw out hecklers in the cold without their jackets, and outrages millions of people across the globe is suitable to lead a country, and indeed the world?.... like, I understand that you like some of his proposals, but do you really not care about any of those things? Should someone so uncouth really possess that kind of authority? It's not even as if you can vouch for his conservative authenticity, this is the same guy who funded Democratic campaigns (Hillary's no less!).... and I don't think anyone is genuinely convinced that his professions of faith to the evangelical crowd are authentic.

To put it in summation, there are 3 reasons why even a staunch conservative would have reason to oppose Trump:

Like,...he is just so thoroughly unfit in every possible way.... I just can't fathom the thought of someone as intelligent and informed as yourself supporting his candidacy. So I'm hoping you'll enlighten me a little here.

If I trusted the Republican party to actually do....well pretty much anything I care about I'd be more concerned about the fact that Trump isn't a dyed in the wool conservative. But it won't and it never will. The GOP is more interested in providing profits to the corporate donors that own it and embarking on pointless, suicidal middle eastern wars than it is in looking after the interests of its base.

Trump represents not only a chance to stick it to these people, but he also represents a potential shock to the system that could finally change things. People like me (who could never bring themselves to vote democratic) hate the GOP so much that they'll choose Donald. Fvcking. Trump. over a plethora of seasoned politicians with outstanding resumes. If that isn't a message, I don't know what is. I'm still torn on the "Trump is a secret genius" theory, but there's no doubt that he has incredible instincts and was able to sense the discontentment with the base and how to put it to use.

Moreover despite his demeanor which is obviously not statesmanlike, his policies are much more sane than that of his opponents. Trump wants to work with Russia to take out ISIS, everyone else wants to destroy Assad to prolong its existence. Trump wants to stop having free trade, which requires both sides to play by the rules in order for it to be truly free, with countries we cannot trust and to make them submit to our interests. Most importantly, Trump is not bought and paid for by the wealthy...like you note, he's been on the other side. He knows exactly how it works. I can't emphasize enough how deeply f*cked up I find the influence of money in politics, and I think you'd be surprised at the number of right leaning people who feel the same way. Most people aren't political junkies, but we all have a built in bullsh1t detector, and only the most idiotic of people would believe that corporations and billionaires gave Jeb Bush $100 million without expecting any favors.

I've also written a lot about how Trump appeals to our more animal instincts with his alpha male persona. You're a liberal, and a pretty hardcore one. Pretty much any study will tell you that our brains work differently in many ways, and one of the manifestations of that is that his persona likely appeals to me on a subconcious level where it repulses you...and that's just the way it is. I can't be sure of this (cuz subconcious, duh) but I suspect that it's at least partly true.

He's destroying a system that I hate and a party that I don't trust and which has sold me out, and he's doing it by hilariously triggering people that I don't like. It's glorious
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:54:58 AM

Like yes Trump is not a saint and he's done things that are totally inappropriate...but is that worse than what amounts to accepting bribes? I don't think so. Trump could kill 100 puppies tomorrow and that still wouldn't be half as fvcked up as Jeb Bush (and everyone else) literally taking bribes from "donors"
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 6:00:17 AM
I sorta see this whole thing as a Fox News experiment gone horribly wrong.... For the entire Obama administration the network looks like it has tried to radicalize its viewerbase to try to bring the country back to the right and do so with a vengeance, but in doing so they inadvertantly created and unleashed a monster of angry a** voters angry at Democratic and Republican senators alike, creating a tsunami of support for outsider-candidates like Trump or Carson to rise to the top in the polls rather then whip up fierce loyalty to back a candidate like Jeb who Fox News clearly prefers.....

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:23:49 PM
At 1/20/2016 5:47:23 AM, thett3 wrote:

If I trusted the Republican party to actually do....well pretty much anything I care about I'd be more concerned about the fact that Trump isn't a dyed in the wool conservative. But it won't and it never will. The GOP is more interested in providing profits to the corporate donors that own it and embarking on pointless, suicidal middle eastern wars than it is in looking after the interests of its base.

Trump represents not only a chance to stick it to these people, but he also represents a potential shock to the system that could finally change things. People like me (who could never bring themselves to vote democratic) hate the GOP so much that they'll choose Donald. Fvcking. Trump. over a plethora of seasoned politicians with outstanding resumes. If that isn't a message, I don't know what is. I'm still torn on the "Trump is a secret genius" theory, but there's no doubt that he has incredible instincts and was able to sense the discontentment with the base and how to put it to use.

Moreover despite his demeanor which is obviously not statesmanlike, his policies are much more sane than that of his opponents. Trump wants to work with Russia to take out ISIS, everyone else wants to destroy Assad to prolong its existence. Trump wants to stop having free trade, which requires both sides to play by the rules in order for it to be truly free, with countries we cannot trust and to make them submit to our interests. Most importantly, Trump is not bought and paid for by the wealthy...like you note, he's been on the other side. He knows exactly how it works. I can't emphasize enough how deeply f*cked up I find the influence of money in politics, and I think you'd be surprised at the number of right leaning people who feel the same way. Most people aren't political junkies, but we all have a built in bullsh1t detector, and only the most idiotic of people would believe that corporations and billionaires gave Jeb Bush $100 million without expecting any favors.

I've also written a lot about how Trump appeals to our more animal instincts with his alpha male persona. You're a liberal, and a pretty hardcore one. Pretty much any study will tell you that our brains work differently in many ways, and one of the manifestations of that is that his persona likely appeals to me on a subconcious level where it repulses you...and that's just the way it is. I can't be sure of this (cuz subconcious, duh) but I suspect that it's at least partly true.

He's destroying a system that I hate and a party that I don't trust and which has sold me out, and he's doing it by hilariously triggering people that I don't like. It's glorious

Thank-you. That is a very good explanation of the Trump support in you.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:51:59 PM

Your reasoning hinges almost entirely on the fact that he's self-financed ... but most voters gravitated toward him because a) they blame mexicans for their economic problems, b) he says whatever he wants without repercussion (and that's refreshing to them) and c) he already had momentum so they joined the bandwagon. I know that you're explaining your own personal reasons, but I just want to establish that they are by no means the primary basis for his support.

And I don't dispute that the influence of money in politics is a serious problem, but Is this really the best way to protest it? This is just irrational destructionism,... flipping over the chessboard when you're losing instead of strategizing on how to secure a win. He might actually become president,.... that comes with serious consequences for America's respect around the world (which definitely exists and was improved during Obama's tenure). This is also somebody who just doesn't have the knowledge or experience to execute a coherent foreign policy... I'm sure you would agree that there are more nuances to the problem in Syria than simply letting Assad stay and joining forces with Russia (as if it's even genuinely Russia's primary interest to eradicate ISIS)

I'm not a hardcore liberal, my positions on liberal economic policy are morally sympathetic and partially ambivalent ... the only thing that riles me up are stupid right-wing positions on social issues and feckless, bullying behavior. Trump does not repulse me because of my ideology, but because of his comportment ... and there are TONS of people in your party who agree with me, so I don't know why you're explaining this in terms of neuroanatomy.

and he's doing it by hilariously triggering people that I don't like. It's glorious

Really? :/
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:09:09 PM
At 1/20/2016 3:23:49 PM, TBR wrote:

Thank-you. That is a very good explanation of the Trump support in you.

Thanks!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:13:55 PM

Your reasons for supporting Trump are definitely not exclusive to him this cycle.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:23:11 PM

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I am hoping Trump blows up everything. I predicted months ago Trump would also blow up the Democrats along with the Republicans; and when the Dems feel the Bern, then operation Trump will have been a success on both sides of the isle. Trump is the bastard offspring of both Bush and Obama. Get ready.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:24:18 PM
At 1/20/2016 3:51:59 PM, 000ike wrote:

Your reasoning hinges almost entirely on the fact that he's self-financed ... but most voters gravitated toward him because a) they blame mexicans for their economic problems, b) he says whatever he wants without repercussion (and that's refreshing to them) and c) he already had momentum so they joined the bandwagon. I know that you're explaining your own personal reasons, but I just want to establish that they are by no means the primary basis for his support.

And I don't dispute that the influence of money in politics is a serious problem, but Is this really the best way to protest it? This is just irrational destructionism,... flipping over the chessboard when you're losing instead of strategizing on how to secure a win. He might actually become president,.... that comes with serious consequences for America's respect around the world (which definitely exists and was improved during Obama's tenure). This is also somebody who just doesn't have the knowledge or experience to execute a coherent foreign policy... I'm sure you would agree that there are more nuances to the problem in Syria than simply letting Assad stay and joining forces with Russia (as if it's even genuinely Russia's primary interest to eradicate ISIS)

It's closer to flipping over the chessboard and refusing to play because you realized that some outside party has bought up all your pieces and will use them to his own agenda without any input from you. I'm not sure how much his presidency would harm our reputation. Probably a lot of Europeans would get to feel morally superior and signal against him by importing more refugees or something--Trump absolutely *would* help our reputation with Russia considering he's the only candidate that isn't saber rattling against them, eager to start WWIII. At first, Trump's rhetoric would damage our relations with the muslim world, but that effect would quickly subside after he stops the insane policies that actually make them hate us, like incessantly bombing their countries. Not inviting someone into your home is not nearly as offensive as destroying theirs.

There are tens of millions (probably more actually) of Americans who are so incredibly tired of politicians and will back virtually anyone who gives them a chance to get away from them. I've tried to explain this to basic establishment Republicans before but they just don't get it. They won't learn from it. But maybe you can...just understand that there are tens of millions of people who hate the status quo so much that they prefer Donald Fvcking Trump over a continuation of what's going on.

I'm not a hardcore liberal, my positions on liberal economic policy are morally sympathetic and partially ambivalent ... the only thing that riles me up are stupid right-wing positions on social issues and feckless, bullying behavior. Trump does not repulse me because of my ideology, but because of his comportment ... and there are TONS of people in your party who agree with me, so I don't know why you're explaining this in terms of neuroanatomy.

First of all...it's not my party. I HATE the GOP and have for a long time. Just to signal a bit :P. All I'm saying is that the things which appeal to people are different based on the person, and people who like Trump's persona are far more likely to be in the Republican party than the democratic party. That I think we can agree on.

There are lots of subconscious triggers that influence our conscious thinking. Like I said, I have no way of knowing for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of it stems from that.

and he's doing it by hilariously triggering people that I don't like. It's glorious

Really? :/
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:24:57 PM
At 1/20/2016 5:13:55 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Your reasons for supporting Trump are definitely not exclusive to him this cycle.

What other candidate is similar?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:25:27 PM
At 1/20/2016 5:23:11 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I am hoping Trump blows up everything. I predicted months ago Trump would also blow up the Democrats along with the Republicans; and when the Dems feel the Bern, then operation Trump will have been a success on both sides of the isle. Trump is the bastard offspring of both Bush and Obama. Get ready.

There are many, many millions of us. It's a movement. Even if Trump loses, the political landscape has changed
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett