Total Posts:84|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why "Gun Rights" advocates have already lost

BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
If I were to ask you why you have your guns, you would probably say "to protect my property, my family and my freedom." But here is the thing, the property, family and freedom you want to protect has already been taken. Your house has been foreclosed on, or you're struggling to make payments; your pension has been raided by the company; your wife is working 12 hour days to help pay the bills; your son is in jail for nothing charges; your daughter will be shackled to student loan payments until she's in a rocking chair; your car is leased not owned; your flat screen tv belongs to Rent-A-Center; your emails and phone calls are being monitored; you can't so much as attend a sing along in a state capital without getting arrested; you try to yell a question at a town hall meeting and you're tasered by security; your computer is designed to break after a year, at which point continuing to own it won't really matter; AND you spend a lot of your day strapping diapers on your 95 year old father-in-law, because his retirement fund was gobbled up by the bank.
In essence, you have already lost your property your family and your freedom. They already got it! The war was fought and you didn't even know it!
While you were busy hugging your gun, the powers that be came in the back door and took everything you care about.
You can have your gun, they don't need it and they don't care about it.
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 2:29:19 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If I were to ask you why you have your guns, you would probably say "to protect my property, my family and my freedom." But here is the thing, the property, family and freedom you want to protect has already been taken. Your house has been foreclosed on, or you're struggling to make payments; your pension has been raided by the company; your wife is working 12 hour days to help pay the bills; your son is in jail for nothing charges; your daughter will be shackled to student loan payments until she's in a rocking chair; your car is leased not owned; your flat screen tv belongs to Rent-A-Center; your emails and phone calls are being monitored; you can't so much as attend a sing along in a state capital without getting arrested; you try to yell a question at a town hall meeting and you're tasered by security; your computer is designed to break after a year, at which point continuing to own it won't really matter; AND you spend a lot of your day strapping diapers on your 95 year old father-in-law, because his retirement fund was gobbled up by the bank.
In essence, you have already lost your property your family and your freedom. They already got it! The war was fought and you didn't even know it!
While you were busy hugging your gun, the powers that be came in the back door and took everything you care about.
You can have your gun, they don't need it and they don't care about it.
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

Anyone stupid enough not to build their own 401k portfolio, buy a house with payments more that 1/3 their income, raise a son that gets off on taunting authority, encourage your daughter to get a psychology degree from the most expensive school allowable, stupid enough to rack up leasing debt, stupid enough to taunt the NSA by publicly stating every word on the watchlist, stupid enough to rack up debt buying garbage you don't need, stupid enough to choose to earn .5% interest rate on a bank savings account for your retirement, then you are probably way too stupid to know what a gun could possibly be used for.

Either that or you are a Democrat.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Guns are far from going away.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 2:41:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 2:29:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If I were to ask you why you have your guns, you would probably say "to protect my property, my family and my freedom." But here is the thing, the property, family and freedom you want to protect has already been taken. Your house has been foreclosed on, or you're struggling to make payments; your pension has been raided by the company; your wife is working 12 hour days to help pay the bills; your son is in jail for nothing charges; your daughter will be shackled to student loan payments until she's in a rocking chair; your car is leased not owned; your flat screen tv belongs to Rent-A-Center; your emails and phone calls are being monitored; you can't so much as attend a sing along in a state capital without getting arrested; you try to yell a question at a town hall meeting and you're tasered by security; your computer is designed to break after a year, at which point continuing to own it won't really matter; AND you spend a lot of your day strapping diapers on your 95 year old father-in-law, because his retirement fund was gobbled up by the bank.
In essence, you have already lost your property your family and your freedom. They already got it! The war was fought and you didn't even know it!
While you were busy hugging your gun, the powers that be came in the back door and took everything you care about.
You can have your gun, they don't need it and they don't care about it.
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

Anyone stupid enough not to build their own 401k portfolio, buy a house with payments more that 1/3 their income, raise a son that gets off on taunting authority, encourage your daughter to get a psychology degree from the most expensive school allowable, stupid enough to rack up leasing debt, stupid enough to taunt the NSA by publicly stating every word on the watchlist, stupid enough to rack up debt buying garbage you don't need, stupid enough to choose to earn .5% interest rate on a bank savings account for your retirement, then you are probably way too stupid to know what a gun could possibly be used for.

Either that or you are a Democrat.

So you think that if this stuff happened to someone its there fault.
But no, it is not. The bank essentially tricked you into buying a house you could not afford using mortgages that were rigged to explode (remember the housing crisis?), most people's 401Ks are held by the company or by the bank, not by you, because either you cannot afford it, or out of convenience. You son is in jail for NOTHING CHARGES, as in for taking a hit of a joint at a party or something like that, he wasn't flaunting authority. Your daughter looked for a cost effect school, yet since tuition prices have gotten so high, it is almost impossible to go to school without incurring any debt.
The NSA is watching everyone, they are not using search terms, it is called bulk collection and mass surveillance for a reason. You need a car to get to work, and we are not talking about a Ferrari, we are talking about a Honda Accord.
The american lifestyle has become so linked to having fancy goods, so things once luxury like a flat screen tv have become the norm, but the fact is that most people can no longer afford these things, so you have companies like Rent-A-Center who essentially say "oh just pay it off a little at a time" but really it is just a scam that will cost you more in the long run and you will likley never own the good you rented. And it wasn't that you father-in-law's retirement fund had low interest, it was that it was GOBBLED UP BY THE BANK.
Here was my point
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!
Maccabee
Posts: 1,247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:22:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Not everyone is in the ditch as you say.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:08:20 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 2:41:03 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:29:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If I were to ask you why you have your guns, you would probably say "to protect my property, my family and my freedom." But here is the thing, the property, family and freedom you want to protect has already been taken. Your house has been foreclosed on, or you're struggling to make payments; your pension has been raided by the company; your wife is working 12 hour days to help pay the bills; your son is in jail for nothing charges; your daughter will be shackled to student loan payments until she's in a rocking chair; your car is leased not owned; your flat screen tv belongs to Rent-A-Center; your emails and phone calls are being monitored; you can't so much as attend a sing along in a state capital without getting arrested; you try to yell a question at a town hall meeting and you're tasered by security; your computer is designed to break after a year, at which point continuing to own it won't really matter; AND you spend a lot of your day strapping diapers on your 95 year old father-in-law, because his retirement fund was gobbled up by the bank.
In essence, you have already lost your property your family and your freedom. They already got it! The war was fought and you didn't even know it!
While you were busy hugging your gun, the powers that be came in the back door and took everything you care about.
You can have your gun, they don't need it and they don't care about it.
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

Anyone stupid enough not to build their own 401k portfolio, buy a house with payments more that 1/3 their income, raise a son that gets off on taunting authority, encourage your daughter to get a psychology degree from the most expensive school allowable, stupid enough to rack up leasing debt, stupid enough to taunt the NSA by publicly stating every word on the watchlist, stupid enough to rack up debt buying garbage you don't need, stupid enough to choose to earn .5% interest rate on a bank savings account for your retirement, then you are probably way too stupid to know what a gun could possibly be used for.

Either that or you are a Democrat.

So you think that if this stuff happened to someone its there fault.
But no, it is not. The bank essentially tricked you into buying a house you could not afford using mortgages that were rigged to explode (remember the housing crisis?), most people's 401Ks are held by the company or by the bank, not by you, because either you cannot afford it, or out of convenience. You son is in jail for NOTHING CHARGES, as in for taking a hit of a joint at a party or something like that, he wasn't flaunting authority. Your daughter looked for a cost effect school, yet since tuition prices have gotten so high, it is almost impossible to go to school without incurring any debt.
The NSA is watching everyone, they are not using search terms, it is called bulk collection and mass surveillance for a reason. You need a car to get to work, and we are not talking about a Ferrari, we are talking about a Honda Accord.
The american lifestyle has become so linked to having fancy goods, so things once luxury like a flat screen tv have become the norm, but the fact is that most people can no longer afford these things, so you have companies like Rent-A-Center who essentially say "oh just pay it off a little at a time" but really it is just a scam that will cost you more in the long run and you will likley never own the good you rented. And it wasn't that you father-in-law's retirement fund had low interest, it was that it was GOBBLED UP BY THE BANK.
Here was my point
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

What a sheep.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:45:35 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 4:22:13 PM, Maccabee wrote:
Not everyone is in the ditch as you say.

But a lot of people are and that number is growing.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:47:44 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 5:08:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:41:03 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:29:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If I were to ask you why you have your guns, you would probably say "to protect my property, my family and my freedom." But here is the thing, the property, family and freedom you want to protect has already been taken. Your house has been foreclosed on, or you're struggling to make payments; your pension has been raided by the company; your wife is working 12 hour days to help pay the bills; your son is in jail for nothing charges; your daughter will be shackled to student loan payments until she's in a rocking chair; your car is leased not owned; your flat screen tv belongs to Rent-A-Center; your emails and phone calls are being monitored; you can't so much as attend a sing along in a state capital without getting arrested; you try to yell a question at a town hall meeting and you're tasered by security; your computer is designed to break after a year, at which point continuing to own it won't really matter; AND you spend a lot of your day strapping diapers on your 95 year old father-in-law, because his retirement fund was gobbled up by the bank.
In essence, you have already lost your property your family and your freedom. They already got it! The war was fought and you didn't even know it!
While you were busy hugging your gun, the powers that be came in the back door and took everything you care about.
You can have your gun, they don't need it and they don't care about it.
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

Anyone stupid enough not to build their own 401k portfolio, buy a house with payments more that 1/3 their income, raise a son that gets off on taunting authority, encourage your daughter to get a psychology degree from the most expensive school allowable, stupid enough to rack up leasing debt, stupid enough to taunt the NSA by publicly stating every word on the watchlist, stupid enough to rack up debt buying garbage you don't need, stupid enough to choose to earn .5% interest rate on a bank savings account for your retirement, then you are probably way too stupid to know what a gun could possibly be used for.

Either that or you are a Democrat.

So you think that if this stuff happened to someone its there fault.
But no, it is not. The bank essentially tricked you into buying a house you could not afford using mortgages that were rigged to explode (remember the housing crisis?), most people's 401Ks are held by the company or by the bank, not by you, because either you cannot afford it, or out of convenience. You son is in jail for NOTHING CHARGES, as in for taking a hit of a joint at a party or something like that, he wasn't flaunting authority. Your daughter looked for a cost effect school, yet since tuition prices have gotten so high, it is almost impossible to go to school without incurring any debt.
The NSA is watching everyone, they are not using search terms, it is called bulk collection and mass surveillance for a reason. You need a car to get to work, and we are not talking about a Ferrari, we are talking about a Honda Accord.
The american lifestyle has become so linked to having fancy goods, so things once luxury like a flat screen tv have become the norm, but the fact is that most people can no longer afford these things, so you have companies like Rent-A-Center who essentially say "oh just pay it off a little at a time" but really it is just a scam that will cost you more in the long run and you will likley never own the good you rented. And it wasn't that you father-in-law's retirement fund had low interest, it was that it was GOBBLED UP BY THE BANK.
Here was my point
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

What a sheep.

I am a sheep? Because I pointed out that the things you hope to protect are being taken away and your gun was no help at all, that makes me a sheep? (Eye roll)
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
The only thing that can defend you today is information.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 5:54:15 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 2:29:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If I were to ask you why you have your guns, you would probably say "to protect my property, my family and my freedom." But here is the thing, the property, family and freedom you want to protect has already been taken. Your house has been foreclosed on, or you're struggling to make payments; your pension has been raided by the company; your wife is working 12 hour days to help pay the bills; your son is in jail for nothing charges; your daughter will be shackled to student loan payments until she's in a rocking chair; your car is leased not owned; your flat screen tv belongs to Rent-A-Center; your emails and phone calls are being monitored; you can't so much as attend a sing along in a state capital without getting arrested; you try to yell a question at a town hall meeting and you're tasered by security; your computer is designed to break after a year, at which point continuing to own it won't really matter; AND you spend a lot of your day strapping diapers on your 95 year old father-in-law, because his retirement fund was gobbled up by the bank.
In essence, you have already lost your property your family and your freedom. They already got it! The war was fought and you didn't even know it!
While you were busy hugging your gun, the powers that be came in the back door and took everything you care about.
You can have your gun, they don't need it and they don't care about it.
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

Anyone stupid enough not to build their own 401k portfolio, buy a house with payments more that 1/3 their income, raise a son that gets off on taunting authority, encourage your daughter to get a psychology degree from the most expensive school allowable, stupid enough to rack up leasing debt, stupid enough to taunt the NSA by publicly stating every word on the watchlist, stupid enough to rack up debt buying garbage you don't need, stupid enough to choose to earn .5% interest rate on a bank savings account for your retirement, then you are probably way too stupid to know what a gun could possibly be used for.

Either that or you are a Democrat.

Yep we want people to be responsible but we don't let them or hold them accountable for their irresponsibility, you can apply this to EVERYTHING.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 6:00:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
The only thing that can defend you today is information.

agree with information being important, debt, mostly that's choice, we have forgotten or chose to ignore the difference between wants and needs. when we confuse them, we will go into debt to fulfill those wants, but it's a choice. You NEED shelter, but you don't WANT to live in certain areas even though the rent is much much cheaper, it's a choice.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 6:25:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
: The only thing that can defend you today is information.

You are only partially right.

I can defend myself against a great number of things with information.

However, information alone is completely useless against a common criminal who has just broken into my home and who is has intentions of doing harm to myself or to my family.

And so, your efforts to try to dissuade me from keeping my guns and from arguing in defense of my guns and my rights is futile to say the least.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,573
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:03:39 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If you are so upset at the government, and you are not happy, dissolve it. You have a constitutional right to pursue that.

And guess what? You can use guns to do that.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Maccabee
Posts: 1,247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:04:04 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 5:45:35 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:22:13 PM, Maccabee wrote:
Not everyone is in the ditch as you say.

But a lot of people are and that number is growing.

Still, as long as I'm in my house it is my castle to defend. They broke in uninvited and they lost their right to life especially if they're here to hurt or murder me and/or my family.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:43:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 6:25:18 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
: The only thing that can defend you today is information.

You are only partially right.

I can defend myself against a great number of things with information.

However, information alone is completely useless against a common criminal who has just broken into my home and who is has intentions of doing harm to myself or to my family.

And so, your efforts to try to dissuade me from keeping my guns and from arguing in defense of my guns and my rights is futile to say the least.

I am not trying to dissuade you from keeping your guns. You can keep them, and if you use them to protect your self from a common criminal, fine. But what have you got left?

You can have all the guns you want, but the fact is that the property, family and freedom you think you are protecting from the powers that be has already been taken while you were clinging to you gun.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:44:56 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 5:54:15 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:29:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If I were to ask you why you have your guns, you would probably say "to protect my property, my family and my freedom." But here is the thing, the property, family and freedom you want to protect has already been taken. Your house has been foreclosed on, or you're struggling to make payments; your pension has been raided by the company; your wife is working 12 hour days to help pay the bills; your son is in jail for nothing charges; your daughter will be shackled to student loan payments until she's in a rocking chair; your car is leased not owned; your flat screen tv belongs to Rent-A-Center; your emails and phone calls are being monitored; you can't so much as attend a sing along in a state capital without getting arrested; you try to yell a question at a town hall meeting and you're tasered by security; your computer is designed to break after a year, at which point continuing to own it won't really matter; AND you spend a lot of your day strapping diapers on your 95 year old father-in-law, because his retirement fund was gobbled up by the bank.
In essence, you have already lost your property your family and your freedom. They already got it! The war was fought and you didn't even know it!
While you were busy hugging your gun, the powers that be came in the back door and took everything you care about.
You can have your gun, they don't need it and they don't care about it.
Your gun is a relic, a keep sake of the way things used to work. It is a wild west tool in the age of investment algorithms.
While you were focusing on your gun, they grabbed everything you care about using lawyers, variable rate mortgages and trade deals.
They don't need tanks, they have think tanks. They don't win with death, they win with debt!

Anyone stupid enough not to build their own 401k portfolio, buy a house with payments more that 1/3 their income, raise a son that gets off on taunting authority, encourage your daughter to get a psychology degree from the most expensive school allowable, stupid enough to rack up leasing debt, stupid enough to taunt the NSA by publicly stating every word on the watchlist, stupid enough to rack up debt buying garbage you don't need, stupid enough to choose to earn .5% interest rate on a bank savings account for your retirement, then you are probably way too stupid to know what a gun could possibly be used for.

Either that or you are a Democrat.

Yep we want people to be responsible but we don't let them or hold them accountable for their irresponsibility, you can apply this to EVERYTHING.

Yes, it is your fault that the bank conned you into signing an exploding mortgage, its your fault that tuition rates have risen so much that you had no choice but to take out a loan to pay for the education you need. Its your fault that you could only afford a car on lease, and a tv from Rent-A-Center, because wages have been so stagnant, and even declining. its your fault that the NSA is reading all of your phone calls and emails, and everyone else's, its your fault that your pension was raided by the company, and the bank gobbled up your father-in-law's retirement fund, its your fault if you are tasered by security at a town hall meeting for asking a question, or for getting arrested for attending a holiday sing along out side the state capitol. Yes, it is all your fault. Not the banks, or the company, or the lenders, or the police or the politicians, its all on you.
SMH
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:47:36 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 7:04:04 PM, Maccabee wrote:
At 1/20/2016 5:45:35 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:22:13 PM, Maccabee wrote:
Not everyone is in the ditch as you say.

But a lot of people are and that number is growing.

Still, as long as I'm in my house it is my castle to defend. They broke in uninvited and they lost their right to life especially if they're here to hurt or murder me and/or my family.

You are missing the point
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:51:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 7:03:39 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If you are so upset at the government, and you are not happy, dissolve it. You have a constitutional right to pursue that.

And guess what? You can use guns to do that.

Wow Armed insurrection? Isn't that a great idea! Its working out well in Syria!
No, it isn't. The only way to take back our government is through civil disobedience, democratic action and mass protest.
You will be thrown in jail, but you should keep fighting and eventually we will win.
But your gun isn't defending your freedom. Only information can defend it.
The first amendment is the first because the founding fathers knew that that was the first and best line of defense against tyranny. If they take that from us, we must take it back.
You still have your guns, but if you protest, you are getting tear gassed.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:53:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 7:43:13 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 6:25:18 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
: The only thing that can defend you today is information.

You are only partially right.

I can defend myself against a great number of things with information.

However, information alone is completely useless against a common criminal who has just broken into my home and who is has intentions of doing harm to myself or to my family.

And so, your efforts to try to dissuade me from keeping my guns and from arguing in defense of my guns and my rights is futile to say the least.

I am not trying to dissuade you from keeping your guns.

Yes you are.

You can keep them, and if you use them to protect your self from a common criminal, fine. But what have you got left?

I have plenty and I am grateful for what I have. Whether you (or others) feel the same way or not.

You can have all the guns you want, but the fact is that the property, family and freedom you think you are protecting from the powers that be has already been taken while you were clinging to you gun.

I'm not going to chase you around in circles. You have already acknowledged the fact that my guns can be used to defend myself in situations where "information" alone would be useless.

Logic follows that when one is as overwhelmed as you claim we all are. . . we can afford to be even further victimized by criminal elements that can be kept at bay or even eliminated with the use of a gun.

You can decide when it's futile for YOURSELF but you have no right, power or authority to decide that for ME.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:57:28 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 6:00:52 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
The only thing that can defend you today is information.

agree with information being important, debt, mostly that's choice, we have forgotten or chose to ignore the difference between wants and needs. when we confuse them, we will go into debt to fulfill those wants, but it's a choice. You NEED shelter, but you don't WANT to live in certain areas even though the rent is much much cheaper, it's a choice.

Okay, so go and live in the slums, but then any prospects of economic prosperity, and a future for your kids go out the window.
Additionally you WANT to live in certain areas because your kids NEED a good education to have any chance at a future, and they NEED safety.
The problem is that banks trick people into signing exploding mortgages, which, as exploding mortgages tend to do, explode into foreclosure.
Its called a predatory loan, ever heard of them?
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 7:59:24 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 7:53:03 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:43:13 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 6:25:18 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
: The only thing that can defend you today is information.

You are only partially right.

I can defend myself against a great number of things with information.

However, information alone is completely useless against a common criminal who has just broken into my home and who is has intentions of doing harm to myself or to my family.

And so, your efforts to try to dissuade me from keeping my guns and from arguing in defense of my guns and my rights is futile to say the least.

I am not trying to dissuade you from keeping your guns.

Yes you are.

You can keep them, and if you use them to protect your self from a common criminal, fine. But what have you got left?

I have plenty and I am grateful for what I have. Whether you (or others) feel the same way or not.

You can have all the guns you want, but the fact is that the property, family and freedom you think you are protecting from the powers that be has already been taken while you were clinging to you gun.

I'm not going to chase you around in circles. You have already acknowledged the fact that my guns can be used to defend myself in situations where "information" alone would be useless.

Logic follows that when one is as overwhelmed as you claim we all are. . . we can NOT afford to be even further victimized by criminal elements that can be kept at bay or even eliminated with the use of a gun.

You can decide when it's futile for YOURSELF but you have no right, power or authority to decide that for ME.

Typo Fixed
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,573
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:00:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 7:51:53 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:03:39 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If you are so upset at the government, and you are not happy, dissolve it. You have a constitutional right to pursue that.

And guess what? You can use guns to do that.

Wow Armed insurrection? Isn't that a great idea! Its working out well in Syria!
No, it isn't. The only way to take back our government is through civil disobedience, democratic action and mass protest.
You will be thrown in jail, but you should keep fighting and eventually we will win.
But your gun isn't defending your freedom. Only information can defend it.
The first amendment is the first because the founding fathers knew that that was the first and best line of defense against tyranny. If they take that from us, we must take it back.
You still have your guns, but if you protest, you are getting tear gassed.

I agree. I hate the current government, and feel the same way you do about most things. I was simply saying that an armed insurrection is a viable option -- that is why the Founding Fathers gave us the Second Amendment; for the security of a free state. I was in no way advocating for it.

I also agree that civil disobedience is the better way to go. It should always be considered first... If it fails, then not-so-civil disobedience is needed. *Looks at the American Revolution*

Also, comparing another American Revolution to Syria is a bit flawed. Syrians don't have the right to own guns, so there are less weapons they are using in this armed insurrection than if they had the right to own and carry. 1 in 3 Americans own guns, and there are almost as many guns for each person in the nation. 1/3 (more than 100 million) of the country against a down-sized military of about 1 million... you can see where the victory would lie.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:01:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 7:44:56 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Yes, it is your fault that the bank conned you into signing an exploding mortgage, its your fault that tuition rates have risen so much that you had no choice but to take out a loan to pay for the education you need. Its your fault that you could only afford a car on lease, and a tv from Rent-A-Center, because wages have been so stagnant, and even declining. its your fault that the NSA is reading all of your phone calls and emails, and everyone else's, its your fault that your pension was raided by the company, and the bank gobbled up your father-in-law's retirement fund, its your fault if you are tasered by security at a town hall meeting for asking a question, or for getting arrested for attending a holiday sing along out side the state capitol. Yes, it is all your fault. Not the banks, or the company, or the lenders, or the police or the politicians, its all on you.
SMH

Well, I chose to manage my credit wisely so a lot of what you said doesn't apply.
Clearly you are a prime example of what I was talking about, a tv is a want and not a need, not sure how you get that mixed up and confused, but trust me you can live without a tv. If you don't like the mortgage rates, rent, wait and shop around. Tuition, well there's trade schools and you can get an education through joining the military. I can't really make sense of the rest of your rant, but I haven't been tasered, maybe you have which would explain a lot.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:17:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 7:53:03 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:43:13 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 6:25:18 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
: The only thing that can defend you today is information.

You are only partially right.

I can defend myself against a great number of things with information.

However, information alone is completely useless against a common criminal who has just broken into my home and who is has intentions of doing harm to myself or to my family.

And so, your efforts to try to dissuade me from keeping my guns and from arguing in defense of my guns and my rights is futile to say the least.

I am not trying to dissuade you from keeping your guns.

Yes you are.

You can keep them, and if you use them to protect your self from a common criminal, fine. But what have you got left?

I have plenty and I am grateful for what I have. Whether you (or others) feel the same way or not.

You can have all the guns you want, but the fact is that the property, family and freedom you think you are protecting from the powers that be has already been taken while you were clinging to you gun.

I'm not going to chase you around in circles. You have already acknowledged the fact that my guns can be used to defend myself in situations where "information" alone would be useless.

Logic follows that when one is as overwhelmed as you claim we all are. . . we can afford to be even further victimized by criminal elements that can be kept at bay or even eliminated with the use of a gun.

You can decide when it's futile for YOURSELF but you have no right, power or authority to decide that for ME.

1) No, I am not. I have no problem with you owning guns. I am just saying that what you intend to protect with them is already gone and the gun you meant to defend them with did nothing. To the powers that be, your gun is obsolete.

2) Well congratulations, you are one of the lucky ones.

3) I am not talking about common criminals, I am talking about the powers that be

4) They aren't being held at bay by your gun, to them your gun is obsolete. They come at us with variable rate mortgages, lawyers and trade deals.
I am not saying it is futile, I am saying that your gun hasn't done jack squat to stop what they have done, and that gun is not going to make them change. If you go out alone with a gun and try to fight them, they will just brand you a criminal or a crackpot, and arrest you and throw you in jail and probably rightfully so. They may not need the guns, but they have them too, and they don't care about your ar-15, they have the M1 Abrams tank.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,789
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:33:41 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 8:17:57 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:53:03 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:43:13 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 6:25:18 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/20/2016 5:54:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:39:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Guns are far from going away.

Never said they were, but they are not a defense against the powers that be in the world of today. It is a wild west tool in an age of investment algorithms.
They won't defeat you with death, they win with debt.
You won't beat them with a gun, you won't even have a chance, you won't see them coming.
: The only thing that can defend you today is information.

You are only partially right.

I can defend myself against a great number of things with information.

However, information alone is completely useless against a common criminal who has just broken into my home and who is has intentions of doing harm to myself or to my family.

And so, your efforts to try to dissuade me from keeping my guns and from arguing in defense of my guns and my rights is futile to say the least.

I am not trying to dissuade you from keeping your guns.

Yes you are.

You can keep them, and if you use them to protect your self from a common criminal, fine. But what have you got left?

I have plenty and I am grateful for what I have. Whether you (or others) feel the same way or not.

You can have all the guns you want, but the fact is that the property, family and freedom you think you are protecting from the powers that be has already been taken while you were clinging to you gun.

I'm not going to chase you around in circles. You have already acknowledged the fact that my guns can be used to defend myself in situations where "information" alone would be useless.

Logic follows that when one is as overwhelmed as you claim we all are. . . we can afford to be even further victimized by criminal elements that can be kept at bay or even eliminated with the use of a gun.

You can decide when it's futile for YOURSELF but you have no right, power or authority to decide that for ME.

1) No, I am not. I have no problem with you owning guns. I am just saying that what you intend to protect with them is already gone and the gun you meant to defend them with did nothing. To the powers that be, your gun is obsolete.

You could have made that same point without the need to bring guns into it.

But you chose to use the "hugging of guns" to make your point instead. In doing so, your bias against guns shines right through your attempts to hide it.

2) Well congratulations, you are one of the lucky ones.

I work hard for anything I have and that is another reason I fight hard to defend it.

3) I am not talking about common criminals, I am talking about the powers that be

That changes nothing about what I said or why I said what I said.

4) They aren't being held at bay by your gun, to them your gun is obsolete. They come at us with variable rate mortgages, lawyers and trade deals.

When and if my gun can be used to keep me alive to fight those things another day and in another way. . . that is still a net gain for me.

I am not saying it is futile, I am saying that your gun hasn't done jack squat to stop what they have done, and that gun is not going to make them change.

When did anyone claim that the right to keep and bear arms would eliminate government encroachments? Guns and the right to keep and bear them are only an extension of our right to self defense. That's it. The right to defend yourself is not shield that keeps you from ever being attacked in any way. If that's what you thought it was or think that it should be? You were seriously misguided at some point in your life.

If you go out alone with a gun and try to fight them, they will just brand you a criminal or a crackpot, and arrest you and throw you in jail and probably rightfully so. They may not need the guns, but they have them too, and they don't care about your ar-15, they have the M1 Abrams tank.

I would sooner (and rather) die at the muzzle of an M1 tank - while clutching an AR-15 than I would die of old age, waving my sign in a government approved section of a street protest somewhere but that's just me.

The saying "give me liberty or give me death" is not a multiple choice. It's more akin to saying "mess with my liberty and you are putting your own life at risk" (to put it mildly.)
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:40:23 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 8:01:59 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:44:56 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Yes, it is your fault that the bank conned you into signing an exploding mortgage, its your fault that tuition rates have risen so much that you had no choice but to take out a loan to pay for the education you need. Its your fault that you could only afford a car on lease, and a tv from Rent-A-Center, because wages have been so stagnant, and even declining. its your fault that the NSA is reading all of your phone calls and emails, and everyone else's, its your fault that your pension was raided by the company, and the bank gobbled up your father-in-law's retirement fund, its your fault if you are tasered by security at a town hall meeting for asking a question, or for getting arrested for attending a holiday sing along out side the state capitol. Yes, it is all your fault. Not the banks, or the company, or the lenders, or the police or the politicians, its all on you.
SMH

Well, I chose to manage my credit wisely so a lot of what you said doesn't apply.
Clearly you are a prime example of what I was talking about, a tv is a want and not a need, not sure how you get that mixed up and confused, but trust me you can live without a tv. If you don't like the mortgage rates, rent, wait and shop around. Tuition, well there's trade schools and you can get an education through joining the military. I can't really make sense of the rest of your rant, but I haven't been tasered, maybe you have which would explain a lot.

I haven't either, but we see that happening.
When you are shopping for a house, you are looking to get one quickly, and for the best price you can find. The problem is that banks will trick people into signing predatory loans, or as I prefer to call them, exploding mortgages.
And trade schools aren't the best option for someone who has a knack for psychology. And Psychologists actually make more money than engineers, just throwing that out. And while the Army may pay for it, a shocking number of people do not qualify today.
The rant was meant partially to be comedic, but also to make a point.
And you can afford to take close care of your credit, but an increasing number of americans cannot afford to do so, and have no choice but to go into debt.
Never said a TV is a need, but it becomes very hard in our society today to be disconnected. Its sad, but true.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:46:36 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 8:40:23 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 8:01:59 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:44:56 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Yes, it is your fault that the bank conned you into signing an exploding mortgage, its your fault that tuition rates have risen so much that you had no choice but to take out a loan to pay for the education you need. Its your fault that you could only afford a car on lease, and a tv from Rent-A-Center, because wages have been so stagnant, and even declining. its your fault that the NSA is reading all of your phone calls and emails, and everyone else's, its your fault that your pension was raided by the company, and the bank gobbled up your father-in-law's retirement fund, its your fault if you are tasered by security at a town hall meeting for asking a question, or for getting arrested for attending a holiday sing along out side the state capitol. Yes, it is all your fault. Not the banks, or the company, or the lenders, or the police or the politicians, its all on you.
SMH

Well, I chose to manage my credit wisely so a lot of what you said doesn't apply.
Clearly you are a prime example of what I was talking about, a tv is a want and not a need, not sure how you get that mixed up and confused, but trust me you can live without a tv. If you don't like the mortgage rates, rent, wait and shop around. Tuition, well there's trade schools and you can get an education through joining the military. I can't really make sense of the rest of your rant, but I haven't been tasered, maybe you have which would explain a lot.

I haven't either, but we see that happening.
When you are shopping for a house, you are looking to get one quickly, and for the best price you can find. The problem is that banks will trick people into signing predatory loans, or as I prefer to call them, exploding mortgages.
And trade schools aren't the best option for someone who has a knack for psychology. And Psychologists actually make more money than engineers, just throwing that out. And while the Army may pay for it, a shocking number of people do not qualify today.
The rant was meant partially to be comedic, but also to make a point.
And you can afford to take close care of your credit, but an increasing number of americans cannot afford to do so, and have no choice but to go into debt.
Never said a TV is a need, but it becomes very hard in our society today to be disconnected. Its sad, but true.

I agree that lots of business take advantage of the public, I would included the government as well ($100 hammers and toilet seats wtf) but we as a society need to learn some self control and put less importance on material things, those that are willing to do that won't be taken advantage of as easily if at all. So I do understand what you are getting at now, and they do deserve part of the blame, but if you let someone take advantage of you, you share in that blame. We need to be more responsible, that include taking care of our rights and each other.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:08:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 8:00:21 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:51:53 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:03:39 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If you are so upset at the government, and you are not happy, dissolve it. You have a constitutional right to pursue that.

And guess what? You can use guns to do that.

Wow Armed insurrection? Isn't that a great idea! Its working out well in Syria!
No, it isn't. The only way to take back our government is through civil disobedience, democratic action and mass protest.
You will be thrown in jail, but you should keep fighting and eventually we will win.
But your gun isn't defending your freedom. Only information can defend it.
The first amendment is the first because the founding fathers knew that that was the first and best line of defense against tyranny. If they take that from us, we must take it back.
You still have your guns, but if you protest, you are getting tear gassed.

I agree. I hate the current government, and feel the same way you do about most things. I was simply saying that an armed insurrection is a viable option -- that is why the Founding Fathers gave us the Second Amendment; for the security of a free state. I was in no way advocating for it.

I also agree that civil disobedience is the better way to go. It should always be considered first... If it fails, then not-so-civil disobedience is needed. *Looks at the American Revolution*

Also, comparing another American Revolution to Syria is a bit flawed. Syrians don't have the right to own guns, so there are less weapons they are using in this armed insurrection than if they had the right to own and carry. 1 in 3 Americans own guns, and there are almost as many guns for each person in the nation. 1/3 (more than 100 million) of the country against a down-sized military of about 1 million... you can see where the victory would lie.

There are 1.3 million in the military (and that has actually grown) and more than 800,000 are in reserves. And the military has nuclear weapons, attack helicopters, the air force, the navy, tanks etc. And in the American Revolution, only around 2-5% of military age males fought in the war. We didn't win the war on our own, we won thanks to our allies.
And the fact that Americans can own guns doesn't diminish the analogy. What would wind up happening in another american revolution is that the rebels would descend into factionalism and tear each other apart.
And nonviolent revolutions are also far more successful. Violent revolutions result in chaos and anarchy. Non-violent result in peace and stability.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 10:11:23 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 10:08:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 8:00:21 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:51:53 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 1/20/2016 7:03:39 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/20/2016 2:26:04 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
If you are so upset at the government, and you are not happy, dissolve it. You have a constitutional right to pursue that.

And guess what? You can use guns to do that.

Wow Armed insurrection? Isn't that a great idea! Its working out well in Syria!
No, it isn't. The only way to take back our government is through civil disobedience, democratic action and mass protest.
You will be thrown in jail, but you should keep fighting and eventually we will win.
But your gun isn't defending your freedom. Only information can defend it.
The first amendment is the first because the founding fathers knew that that was the first and best line of defense against tyranny. If they take that from us, we must take it back.
You still have your guns, but if you protest, you are getting tear gassed.

I agree. I hate the current government, and feel the same way you do about most things. I was simply saying that an armed insurrection is a viable option -- that is why the Founding Fathers gave us the Second Amendment; for the security of a free state. I was in no way advocating for it.

I also agree that civil disobedience is the better way to go. It should always be considered first... If it fails, then not-so-civil disobedience is needed. *Looks at the American Revolution*

Also, comparing another American Revolution to Syria is a bit flawed. Syrians don't have the right to own guns, so there are less weapons they are using in this armed insurrection than if they had the right to own and carry. 1 in 3 Americans own guns, and there are almost as many guns for each person in the nation. 1/3 (more than 100 million) of the country against a down-sized military of about 1 million... you can see where the victory would lie.

There are 1.3 million in the military (and that has actually grown) and more than 800,000 are in reserves. And the military has nuclear weapons, attack helicopters, the air force, the navy, tanks etc. And in the American Revolution, only around 2-5% of military age males fought in the war. We didn't win the war on our own, we won thanks to our allies.
And the fact that Americans can own guns doesn't diminish the analogy. What would wind up happening in another american revolution is that the rebels would descend into factionalism and tear each other apart.
And nonviolent revolutions are also far more successful. Violent revolutions result in chaos and anarchy. Non-violent result in peace and stability.

The fringe that speak of "revolution" as always so quick to assume that there would be grand unity. That is just not realistic. Even during the revolution, there were plenty who sided with the Brits.