Jump to topic:

Are Freedoms a Scary Thing

liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 3:15:56 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I believe that the biggest issue the United States of America (USA) faces is the threat to remove freedoms. I feel this is derived from a fear of said freedoms. This is especially so when a certain group does not understand why another group would want those freedoms. Things of this nature are what leads me to my question. Are freedoms scary? Please go into details as to why you think freedoms are scary or not. I am truly interested in what the community thinks.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:20:13 PM
At 1/20/2016 3:15:56 PM, liltankjj wrote:
I believe that the biggest issue the United States of America (USA) faces is the threat to remove freedoms. I feel this is derived from a fear of said freedoms. This is especially so when a certain group does not understand why another group would want those freedoms. Things of this nature are what leads me to my question. Are freedoms scary? Please go into details as to why you think freedoms are scary or not. I am truly interested in what the community thinks.

I'm subscribing. This oughta be interesting.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:27:35 PM

I presume the poll regarding feminists has a little to do with this question, right?

Yea, there are a number of cases, say NSA and Patriot act etc. that pray on peoples innate fears and prestigious.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:31:48 PM
At 1/20/2016 4:27:35 PM, TBR wrote:

I presume the poll regarding feminists has a little to do with this question, right?

Yea, there are a number of cases, say NSA and Patriot act etc. that pray on peoples innate fears and prestigious.

Fears and...? I am confident a quick-correct turned a word into "prestigious", because that makes no sense, and you are usually pretty coherent. What did you intend to say?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:32:42 PM

Actually, buddy, it had a small play in me asking the question, but this has been in the back of my head for a while now.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:40:28 PM
At 1/20/2016 4:32:42 PM, liltankjj wrote:

Actually, buddy, it had a small play in me asking the question, but this has been in the back of my head for a while now.

Lets use the poll as an example. Asked outright about limits on speech, not one of those votes would have been for "ban". It is the object of the thing, not the right that people are concerned over.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:42:21 PM
At 1/20/2016 4:31:48 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Fears and...? I am confident a quick-correct turned a word into "prestigious", because that makes no sense, and you are usually pretty coherent. What did you intend to say?

prestigious prejudices.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 4:45:16 PM
At 1/20/2016 4:40:28 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/20/2016 4:32:42 PM, liltankjj wrote:

Lets use the poll as an example. Asked outright about limits on speech, not one of those votes would have been for "ban". It is the object of the thing, not the right that people are concerned over.

I can certainly agree with that. People in general, don't try and apply critical thinking to all aspects. Certain words (I like to call them triggers) can cause someone's thoughts to be guided. If this makes since.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 3:24:21 AM
of course they are, because freedom means responsibility, and barely anyone actually wants responsibility because that means the potential for blame, and nobody at all wants blame.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 3:27:06 AM

I have three questions for you, to better understand your position. Here they are:

What freedoms do you think are threatened?

Who is threatening them?

How are those freedoms you've identified being threatened?
Tsar of DDO
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 2:00:22 PM
At 1/21/2016 3:27:06 AM, YYW wrote:

I have three questions for you, to better understand your position. Here they are:

What freedoms do you think are threatened?

Who is threatening them?

How are those freedoms you've identified being threatened?

Well, thank you for your interest in understanding my view on this subject. I'll take it one at a time, ordered by most relevant to least relevant in my view.

I would say the one that bothers me the most is my first amendment rights. Particularly my freedom of speech. I feel this is being threatened by people who tend to feel offended by what I may say or fear being offended by what I might say. This is usually due to unwanted criticism. but in other instances as well, such as me dressing a certain way or etc... It isn't just my personal experiences but my observations of others as well. This is typically cultivated by the media and from there it grows. Take political correctness for example. since when did it become so darn important to tailor your words or actions as to not offend someone? I think it is a blatant shot at freedom of speech and expression. This is the most relevant to my initial post but I can go on to others as well. I'd like to see your response first.

Once again, thanks for showing interest in my view, It is very meaningful that you are trying to understand, vice judge out right.