Jump to topic:

Why do leftists say "folks"

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:34:13 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
100% serious question. The only people I see who say "folks" are leftists, and usually SJW type leftists. Go look at the "Privilege of not getting offended" thread in the society forum and it's fully of leftists and crypto-leftists discussing privilege theory and incessantly calling people "folks". why

Even Obama does it. Newsflash Obama: You're never going to come off as folksy (lol) so just stop trying

When did this start and why?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:36:26 AM
I've never noticed it.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:37:00 AM
At 1/21/2016 4:36:26 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I've never noticed it.

http://www.msnbc.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:38:16 AM
At 1/21/2016 4:37:00 AM, thett3 wrote:
I've never noticed it.

I imagine it's just something he does - I doubt he's "trying" to come across a certain way by saying "folks".
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:39:51 AM
At 1/21/2016 4:38:16 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I've never noticed it.

I imagine it's just something he does - I doubt he's "trying" to come across a certain way by saying "folks".

https://redmalehummingbird.files.wordpress.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:55:13 AM
At 1/21/2016 4:34:13 AM, thett3 wrote:
100% serious question. The only people I see who say "folks" are leftists, and usually SJW type leftists. Go look at the "Privilege of not getting offended" thread in the society forum and it's fully of leftists and crypto-leftists discussing privilege theory and incessantly calling people "folks". why

Even Obama does it. Newsflash Obama: You're never going to come off as folksy (lol) so just stop trying

lol you're actually right, I never noticed. I don't think Obama's trying to be folksy.

I think it buttresses any feelings of alienation or condemnation that may arise from the criticism that follows. Compare the two statements: "I disagree with the folks who think there's a conspiracy in the federal government to take away their guns" .... and "I disagree with the people who think there's a conspiracy in the federal government to take away their guns." It's an extremely subtle difference, but very detectable if you really contemplate the rhetorical effects. "Folks" in a way normalizes the individuals to whom it refers, ensuring that the speaker does perceive them in a distant or uncaring manner.

General use of "folks" to refer to residents of states or as substitute for "fellow americans" confers a sense of camaraderie. The word really is meant for the average person, unassuming, well-meaning, and going about his or her daily life with casual decency; it has a sort of wholesome modesty -- the speaker is neither exaggerating the importance of the people discussed nor looking down upon them. It's a relatively potent rhetorical device.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:55:58 AM
I've never noticed it.

Obama is literally every leftist?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 5:14:21 AM

Some folks are just like that.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 6:46:01 PM

1) If Obama is a leftist, I'm a hippopotamus.
2) So is Porky Pig a leftist?

https://www.youtube.com...

3) I went through the thread and I only found one guy, FourTrouble, who is using it, and then one other guy who used it in responses to FourTrouble.
4) I think it has to due more with manner of speaking than political views.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 6:56:00 PM

Really? I think I here that much more from the right. Its every other word out of Palins mouth.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 7:10:42 PM
At 1/21/2016 6:56:00 PM, TBR wrote:

Really? I think I here that much more from the right. Its every other word out of Palins mouth.

I blame Gun Smoke and Bonanza, clearly is an over influence of old westerns, do you think the word will soon be politically incorrect to say? I don't like folk art or folk music so don't refer to me as such, it's offensive! but I digress in my quest to be ever so sarcastic.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 7:41:38 PM
At 1/21/2016 7:10:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I blame Gun Smoke and Bonanza, clearly is an over influence of old westerns, do you think the word will soon be politically incorrect to say? I don't like folk art or folk music so don't refer to me as such, it's offensive! but I digress in my quest to be ever so sarcastic.

Wait. The OP talked of it being a primary word of the left. Talk to him about PC crap, not me.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 7:45:18 PM
At 1/21/2016 7:41:38 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/21/2016 7:10:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Wait. The OP talked of it being a primary word of the left. Talk to him about PC crap, not me.

lol it's a conspiracy, next we'll be saying Ya'll and howdy podnr, it's the left's way of speech control, and as you pointed out they've already gotten to Pailin, we are all going to talk like hillbillys and it's all the lefts fault!
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 8:02:48 PM

Can't be 100% serious. I know you're trolling. Lots of conservatives say "folks." Just as many as leftists. It mostly comes down to where you live or grew up. It's like how some folks say "pop," others say "soda." Has nothing to do with their beliefs, nothing to do with trying to sound "folksy."
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 8:04:20 PM

You have never listened to Rush Limbaugh or Mike Huckabee, then. However, they tend to use it when addressing their audience rather than when talking about people, I think.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 8:07:16 PM
calling people "folks". why

Because Its close to 'f*ckers' yet not politically incorrect is my best guess

Replace 'folks' with 'f*ckers' in any speech and it will dramatically improve the sentence or speech every time.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 8:10:44 PM
At 1/21/2016 8:07:16 PM, imabench wrote:
calling people "folks". why

Because Its close to 'f*ckers' yet not politically incorrect is my best guess

Replace 'folks' with 'f*ckers' in any speech and it will dramatically improve the sentence or speech every time.

100% agreed lol, and you some of you other posters, why so serious?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:25:27 AM

It makes any politician sound 'normal' and 'down to earth.'

Personally, I despise the word, almost as much as 'moist', 'mouthfeel', and 'phlegm'. It just feels unctuous to me.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:33:43 AM
At 1/22/2016 12:25:27 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

It makes any politician sound 'normal' and 'down to earth.'

Personally, I despise the word, almost as much as 'moist', 'mouthfeel', and 'phlegm'. It just feels unctuous to me.

How about "woodie"

https://www.youtube.com...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 3:08:53 AM

This guy says it all the time.https://www.google.ca...