Jump to topic:

On calling ideologies mental illnesses

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 8:25:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
So this morning after I got out of the shower, I go onto DDO and something reminds me of how stupid people can be.

Bad gun arguments? Check.

Abortion coming up in a gay rights conversation...? Alright, check.

Calling ideologies a mental illness?

Someone tell me this is a joke.

Am I seeing people agreeing with this? Jesus Christ how the mighty DDO has fallen.

So for the future, I want everyone to follow a few guidelines for ideologies.

1. Criticize them on their positions.

2. Criticize them on their factual reliability.

3. Criticize them on how well they are applied to the real world.

4. Do not criticize them because of a stupid fvck like Mike Huckabee - make fun of Mike Huckabee.

5. Separate political parties from ideologies.

---

Thank you, and remember to keep the intellectual capacity above YouTube comment section level.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 8:45:21 PM
At 1/22/2016 8:25:05 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
So this morning after I got out of the shower, I go onto DDO and something reminds me of how stupid people can be.

Am I seeing people agreeing with this? Jesus Christ how the mighty DDO has fallen.

4. Do not criticize them because of a stupid fvck like Mike Huckabee - make fun of Mike Huckabee.

---

Thank you, and remember to keep the intellectual capacity above YouTube comment section level.

That one really brings down IQ of the site.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 8:53:05 PM
The butthurting is already strong in this thread.

Maybe you should consider how your thinking is a mile wide but less than an inch deep. You can appreciate the points you are trying to ridicule because they sail right over your head.

So, rather than to think more about the points being made? You dismiss them as ridiculous instead. That way you don't have to face your own bias, hypocrisies, etc.

The funniest part is that you think YOU have the higher ground.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 8:58:15 PM
At 1/22/2016 8:53:05 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Maybe you should consider how your thinking is a mile wide but less than an inch deep. You can NOT appreciate the points you are trying to ridicule because they sail right over your head.

So, rather than to think more about the points being made? You dismiss them as ridiculous instead. That way you don't have to face your own bias, hypocrisies, etc.

Typo Fixed.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:01:47 PM

Maybe you should consider how your thinking is a mile wide but less than an inch deep. You can appreciate the points you are trying to ridicule because they sail right over your head.

By points you mean the barest of bare assertion?
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:07:01 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:01:47 PM, TBR wrote:

Again, it's funny you think you have the higher ground on this.

When you point at a point that was raised and you offer nothing but ridicule as a response to that point. . . YOURS is the "barest of bare assertions" because you didn't even address the point that was raised.

My point on the hypocrisy of people who claim the government has no right to define a legal construct like marriage but does have the right to define "personhood" is a perfect example.

It's clear that you have no intellectual response to that point.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:17:27 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:07:01 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

When you point at a point that was raised and you offer nothing but ridicule as a response to that point. . . YOURS is the "barest of bare assertions" because you didn't even address the point that was raised.

What do you think is the point? That is not a point, it is just an assertion. Do you understand the difference?

My point on the hypocrisy of people who claim the government has no right to define a legal construct like marriage but does have the right to define "personhood" is a perfect example.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am talking about "liberals are mentally ill"

If you really want to talk that point, marriage is a contract in the governments eyes. If that is too rough for you to get, I don't know what else to say to you.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:19:15 PM

---

Just don't respond.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:29:06 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:17:27 PM, TBR wrote:

What do you think is the point? That is not a point, it is just an assertion. Do you understand the difference?

The OP in this thread is a baseless assertion. NOTHING was provided to support the assertions made.

My response to that is "pot-kettle-black"

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am talking about "liberals are mentally ill"

Why then did you not specify that in your response? Were you just jumping on the bandwagon without thinking of the points that were listed?

If you really want to talk that point, marriage is a contract in the governments eyes. If that is too rough for you to get, I don't know what else to say to you.

The point was about the HYPOCRISY of those who think the government has no right to define marriage but does have the right to define personhood.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:32:27 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:29:06 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

The OP in this thread is a baseless assertion. NOTHING was provided to support the assertions made.

Why then did you not specify that in your response? Were you just jumping on the bandwagon without thinking of the points that were listed?

The point was about the HYPOCRISY of those who think the government has no right to define marriage but does have the right to define personhood.

Read the title of the thread, it is about the mental illness thread, and using the others as examples.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:37:38 PM

If you still think DDO is capable of that then you havent browsed passed the Religious forum in a while....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:45:05 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:32:27 PM, TBR wrote:

Read the title of the thread, it is about the mental illness thread, and using the others as examples.

Again, you were NON specific about what you were supporting .

You therefore own a fair share of the confusion it caused.

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:46:24 PM

Please prove how Liberalism is a a mental illness. Like I need actual sources, not Fox News or Conservapedia.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:50:52 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:45:05 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 1/22/2016 9:32:27 PM, TBR wrote:

Again, you were NON specific about what you were supporting .

You therefore own a fair share of the confusion it caused.

Fair enough. But to be clear, the OP the title is talking of is inane
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:51:29 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:46:24 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Please prove how Liberalism is a a mental illness. Like I need actual sources, not Fox News or Conservapedia.

You should visit that thread. If you do, you will see that I never claimed that liberalism (in the classic sense) is a mental illness. I do think there are examples of mental illness in the modern day representations of "liberalism" though and it was expressed as an opinion not as an absolute.

If I were making the claim that it was absolute, I would have provided sources and examples.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 10:37:25 PM
At 1/22/2016 9:37:38 PM, imabench wrote:

If you still think DDO is capable of that then you havent browsed passed the Religious forum in a while....

I don't consider them to be a part of the community.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 10:44:22 PM
I'm just going to say this on Chuz-Life's position.

How can someone be so HYPOCRITICAL to say that the government has no right to define personhood and whether fetuses can be aborted, but they get to define what criminals are not allowed to live?

---

Nobody likes how you inject abortion into every goddamn argument, so stop.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:30:43 PM
At 1/22/2016 10:44:22 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

How can someone be so HYPOCRITICAL to say that the government has no right to define personhood and whether fetuses can be aborted, but they get to define what criminals are not allowed to live?

---

There is no hypocrisy to be acknowledged (above) because the while the Constitution does not grant our government the right, power or authority to define personhood, it does give the government the right to "deprive" a person of their rights - so long as Due Process is followed.

You seem outraged by the death penalty and your outrage only amplifies your hypocrisy. A convicted and executed criminal is afforded the presumption of innocence and the due process of our laws.

Where do you afford the same for a child in the womb?

As for your request for me to stop injecting abortion into everything? Show me where I have injected "abortion" into what you think is an un-related subject and I'll show you where the subjects ARE related or where you have assumed my comments were about abortion when they were not.

Maybe it's your conscience making you see things that aren't really there.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:33:07 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:30:43 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
As for your request for me to stop injecting abortion into everything? Show me where I have injected "abortion" into what you think is an un-related subject and I'll show you where the subjects ARE related or where you have assumed my comments were about abortion when they were not.

Every thread you post in.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:33:59 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:33:07 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I need only show one thread to prove that is a lie on your part.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:35:37 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:33:59 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Go ahead.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:37:08 PM

Can you read this? https://kidskonnect.com...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:38:28 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:35:37 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Go ahead.

Not going to let you shift the onus on this one. YOU are making a claim so the onus is on you to back it up. I suggest you start in the gun control threads if you want to hurry things along towards proving yourself wrong.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:39:53 PM
My oh my. Someone isn't reading.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:52:01 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:39:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
My oh my. Someone isn't reading.

Maybe they are just "really too apathetic about it to care."

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:07:16 AM

---

Lol, the BornOfGod defense.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:12:28 AM
At 1/22/2016 9:19:15 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

---

Just don't respond.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:13:49 AM
At 1/23/2016 12:07:16 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

---

Lol, the BornOfGod defense.

Yeah. I'm not feeling defensive though.

Maybe it's the apathy.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:42:17 AM

Taj, it's all an exaggeration. No one actually believes that liberalism is a mental illness, although some leftists do embody the ideas of mentally retarded individuals.

On a more holistic front, the constant expression of emotion rather than logic, feelings rather than reason, the need for the obliteration of economic and political freedom, and the constant denial of history - some ought to thin that these people have some mental deficiency.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:44:06 AM
At 1/23/2016 12:42:17 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Taj, it's all an exaggeration. No one actually believes that liberalism is a mental illness, although some leftists do embody the ideas of mentally retarded individuals.

On a more holistic front, the constant expression of emotion rather than logic, feelings rather than reason, the need for the obliteration of economic and political freedom, and the constant denial of history - some ought to thin that these people have some mental deficiency.

Well you at least explained it to me, thank you for that.

I hold to same views for Conservatives who believe that the Bible should be the law of the land, and think Global Warming is a hoax.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k