Being gay should not be a death sentence

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:02:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
My opinion:
I am a Christian who has had multiple acquaintences and friendships with those from the LGBT community. I do not judge them. Their sexuality is something I can neither understand nor judge.

Article excerpt-
If you are gay, today in the United States of America, the worst the Christian community can do to gay people is not serve them cake" I tweeted Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, whom I think is very brave by going out there and describing what it is that the LGBT community faces in predominantly homophobic communities. The discrimination is subtle, and it lurks in the shadows. But I just want you to think about being Muslim and gay today. In the worst case scenario, you"ve seen it on television, on YouTube" if you"re accused of being gay, you are marched to the tallest building in town and bullies throw you off that building and there"s a crowd of people waiting there"

Speaking of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Female Rights Activist)

-She unequivocally voiced her support in those fights. But while she had the podium, she wanted to remind us of a threat that is taking life away from people instead of just making it more difficult. (I will point out that LGBT people have been killed and driven to suicide through bullying, so not getting cake is hardly the worst thing that could happen to gay people. But I would give her the benefit of the doubt here since it seems apparent to me she was just using a rhetorical device.)
Only through a completely uncharitable interpretation of her words would anyone think she doesn"t care about LGBT people or that she was minimizing their experiences. She was talking about a religion and culture that she knows very well and trying to get the audience to experience that faith through her eyes.
There was one line near the end, though, that might suggest otherwise (at the 44:26 mark):

Let"s stop going after Christians and Christianity. Let"s go after Islam as the most threatening doctrine of our time. Let"s ask them those questions that we put to the other religions.

http://www.patheos.com...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 9:37:27 PM
At 1/23/2016 3:02:13 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
My opinion:
I am a Christian who has had multiple acquaintences and friendships with those from the LGBT community. I do not judge them. Their sexuality is something I can neither understand nor judge.

Article excerpt-
If you are gay, today in the United States of America, the worst the Christian community can do to gay people is not serve them cake" I tweeted Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple, whom I think is very brave by going out there and describing what it is that the LGBT community faces in predominantly homophobic communities. The discrimination is subtle, and it lurks in the shadows. But I just want you to think about being Muslim and gay today. In the worst case scenario, you"ve seen it on television, on YouTube" if you"re accused of being gay, you are marched to the tallest building in town and bullies throw you off that building and there"s a crowd of people waiting there"

-She unequivocally voiced her support in those fights. But while she had the podium, she wanted to remind us of a threat that is taking life away from people instead of just making it more difficult. (I will point out that LGBT people have been killed and driven to suicide through bullying, so not getting cake is hardly the worst thing that could happen to gay people. But I would give her the benefit of the doubt here since it seems apparent to me she was just using a rhetorical device.)
Only through a completely uncharitable interpretation of her words would anyone think she doesn"t care about LGBT people or that she was minimizing their experiences. She was talking about a religion and culture that she knows very well and trying to get the audience to experience that faith through her eyes.
There was one line near the end, though, that might suggest otherwise (at the 44:26 mark):

Let"s stop going after Christians and Christianity. Let"s go after Islam as the most threatening doctrine of our time. Let"s ask them those questions that we put to the other religions.

You are aware Christianity is pretty anti gay too and much anti gay sentiment in America comes from Christians.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 9:39:09 PM
At 1/23/2016 9:37:27 PM, mc9 wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

You are aware Christianity is pretty anti gay too and much anti gay sentiment in America comes from Christians.

The OP is stupid, but this sure says little good about Christianity OR Islam.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 12:44:40 AM
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

I'm Christian, not "anti gay", and Jesus never mentioned homosexuality. I'm not "anti gay" because in submission to Christ's comands I cannot judge others as a sinner yourself. His words, not mine.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 12:46:18 AM
At 1/24/2016 12:44:40 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

I'm Christian, not "anti gay", and Jesus never mentioned homosexuality. I'm not "anti gay" because in submission to Christ's comands I cannot judge others as a sinner yourself. His words, not mine.

You are just one person, that is an anecdotal logical fallacy.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 12:48:52 AM
At 1/23/2016 9:39:09 PM, TBR wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Some Christians, in their nievity, try to persecute Homosexuals due to a lack of knowing Jesus' actual teaching about judgement of others. Yet, even these minority Christian persecutets don't hang homosexuals in a public execution as Islam does. Islam is like Godzilla and Christianity is like "hey God, it's me Margaret."

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 12:52:20 AM
At 1/24/2016 12:48:52 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Some Christians, in their nievity, try to persecute Homosexuals due to a lack of knowing Jesus' actual teaching about judgement of others. Yet, even these minority Christian persecutets don't hang homosexuals in a public execution as Islam does. Islam is like Godzilla and Christianity is like "hey God, it's me Margaret."

One, Christianity says bad things about gays so I bet Islam has a justification too.

Two there were radical Christian theocracies throughout history who did things similar to this.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 1:56:10 AM
At 1/24/2016 12:52:20 AM, mc9 wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

One, Christianity says bad things about gays so I bet Islam has a justification too.

Two there were radical Christian theocracies throughout history who did things similar to this.

Things done in the past are meaningless today in real life. The difference is Christianity acted archsic during archaic times but has evolved over time with enlightenment and modernism. We are not obligated to step back 700 years to match eith Islam. It's time for them to step out of the dark ages. Stoning is a an archaic practice. We don't stone each other anymore. We don't behead each other anymore. In a civil modern world we don't cover women up because they are "inferior to men". If you kill homosexuals for "sinning", you as a sinner burn the bridge of hypocrisy as a sinner yourself that you must later cross for YOUR sins.

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 1:59:41 AM
At 1/24/2016 1:56:10 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Things done in the past are meaningless today in real life. The difference is Christianity acted archsic during archaic times but has evolved over time with enlightenment and modernism. We are not obligated to step back 700 years to match eith Islam. It's time for them to step out of the dark ages. Stoning is a an archaic practice. We don't stone each other anymore. We don't behead each other anymore. In a civil modern world we don't cover women up because they are "inferior to men". If you kill homosexuals for "sinning", you as a sinner burn the bridge of hypocrisy as a sinner yourself that you must later cross for YOUR sins.

Islam was created about that time after Christianity so it makes sense that it's behind, they had like the same history.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:37:25 AM
At 1/24/2016 1:59:41 AM, mc9 wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Islam was created about that time after Christianity so it makes sense that it's behind, they had like the same history.

And you prefer the religion that is "behind" why again?

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:45:43 AM
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

He seems like a new GrittyWorm... 400 forum posts in 5 days.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:46:09 AM
At 1/24/2016 2:37:25 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Because it's a good religion and there will always be radicals.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:46:50 AM
At 1/24/2016 2:45:43 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Come to think of it, that is a great description
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:48:38 AM
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Girtty... Almost miss the guy
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:53:18 AM
At 1/24/2016 2:48:38 AM, TBR wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

Wasn't his account banned? YYW really didn't like him.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:54:52 AM
At 1/24/2016 2:53:18 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

YYW might have disliked him, but I was right there too. The guy was poison.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:56:16 AM
At 1/24/2016 2:54:52 AM, TBR wrote:
At 1/24/2016 2:53:18 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

YYW might have disliked him, but I was right there too. The guy was poison.

He was one of those guys who made me almost bring back the Weekly Stupid
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 3:07:10 AM
At 1/24/2016 2:46:09 AM, mc9 wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

So being behind is what makes you a good religion? And being more evolved makes you "the bad religion"?

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 3:09:43 AM
At 1/24/2016 3:07:10 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 1/24/2016 2:46:09 AM, mc9 wrote:
My opinion:

Article excerpt-

So being behind is what makes you a good religion? And being more evolved makes you "the bad religion"?

I didn't say that at all.