Jump to topic:

Yet another paranoid gun-guy

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 3:58:27 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
So. Paranoia drove yet another fool to take a gun with him to a movie theater. Apparently drunk and paranoid, he couldn't miss the Benghazi movie "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" so he armed up.

http://www.seattletimes.com...

This entire thing is not about the evil liberals, the 2nd amendment, your god given rights, it is about paranoia run amok. Keep your guns, he11 buy a couple more if you like, just stop with the abject fear and paranoia.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:36:45 PM
At 1/25/2016 3:58:27 PM, TBR wrote:
So. Paranoia drove yet another fool to take a gun with him to a movie theater. Apparently drunk and paranoid, he couldn't miss the Benghazi movie "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi" so he armed up.

This entire thing is not about the evil liberals, the 2nd amendment, your god given rights, it is about paranoia run amok. Keep your guns, he11 buy a couple more if you like, just stop with the abject fear and paranoia.

That guy was an idiot but not for the reasons you think (paranoia.) His paranoia is probably a symptom of some other kind of mental issue. How harmless or severe that is? Who knows?

The reason he is an idiot though, is because he did not secure his weapon and keep it secured. He didn't own up to his actions when it happened and he left the scene and tried to lie his way out of the situation with multiple accounts of what happened.

There were likely several other gun owners in that theater who were carrying too. Especially considering the type movie it is and the audience it attracts. The difference is that THEY were responsible enough to secure their weapons.

If the theater had rules against bringing guns in? Imagine that. The rules had no effect at all in this case.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:42:18 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:36:45 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

That guy was an idiot but not for the reasons you think (paranoia.) His paranoia is probably a symptom of some other kind of mental issue. How harmless or severe that is? Who knows?

The reason he is an idiot though, is because he did not secure his weapon and keep it secured. He didn't own up to his actions when it happened and he left the scene and tried to lie his way out of the situation with multiple accounts of what happened.

There were likely several other gun owners in that theater who were carrying too. Especially considering the type movie it is and the audience it attracts. The difference is that THEY were responsible enough to secure their weapons.

If the theater had rules against bringing guns in? Imagine that. The rules had no effect at all in this case.

I don't disagree entirely with what you have said. The point remains, yet again (got the gun store owner and son story too) out of control fear manifested in a way that has a negative impact on the community.

This guy a idiot? Sure he is, just like many others with carry permits. No surprise there.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:45:52 PM

$40 says I can guess where that guy gets his news from on the first try
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:46:02 PM

This is a sad case. I really lean towards the need to educate people on weapon safety. It's really not a hard subject to learn.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:46:07 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:42:18 PM, TBR wrote:

I don't disagree entirely with what you have said. The point remains, yet again (got the gun store owner and son story too) out of control fear manifested in a way that has a negative impact on the community.

This guy a idiot? Sure he is, just like many others with carry permits. No surprise there.

All things considered, If the same guy were to have been the one to draw his weapon and save a life or lives that night, he would have been lauded as a hero. In my opinion, this is an isolated incident and he (nor his actions) represent the majority of CCW permit holders in any way.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:46:39 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:46:02 PM, liltankjj wrote:

This is a sad case. I really lean towards the need to educate people on weapon safety. It's really not a hard subject to learn.

+1

liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:49:05 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:45:52 PM, imabench wrote:

No wager needed. give it a shot, I'm intrigued.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:56:17 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:46:07 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

All things considered, If the same guy were to have been the one to draw his weapon and save a life or lives that night, he would have been lauded as a hero. In my opinion, this is an isolated incident and neither he (nor his actions) represent the majority of CCW permit holders in any way.

TYPO

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:01:36 PM

All things considered, If the same guy were to have been the one to draw his weapon and save a life or lives that night, he would have been lauded as a hero. In my opinion, this is an isolated incident and he (nor his actions) represent the majority of CCW permit holders in any way.

Why must every gun discussion run this way? Isolated incidents with tragic results are still tragic results. Followup with "but he could have been a hero if...."

Say you find a handful of indisputable cases of a concealed carry guy saving a couple lifes. I find the same or more with the opposite result. What is the take-away? What is the actual net benefit? Is it good or wise to encourage MORE people to carry or not?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:02:58 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:49:05 PM, liltankjj wrote:

While all 24 hour news networks do their absolute best in trying to hype up the news as much as possible to get people to watch their channel over others (causing anxiety in some about mass shootings in movie theaters or any public place in general), only one of those three networks far and away tries to push the agenda that concealed carry weapon users rather than gun control is the proper way to combat the issue.....

Fox
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:09:34 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:01:36 PM, TBR wrote:

Why must every gun discussion run this way? Isolated incidents with tragic results are still tragic results. Followup with "but he could have been a hero if...."

Say you find a handful of indisputable cases of a concealed carry guy saving a couple lifes. I find the same or more with the opposite result. What is the take-away? What is the actual net benefit? Is it good or wise to encourage MORE people to carry or not?

I think overall it is good to give people information about their rights and to caution them to exercise their rights responsibly and then to seriously punish those who abuse that right. Much as was done in this case.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:17:30 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:09:34 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

I think overall it is good to give people information about their rights and to caution them to exercise their rights responsibly and then to seriously punish those who abuse that right. Much as was done in this case.

As was done with this case? No... He was a terrible concealed carry guy. Drunk, gun with no holster. Caution? He11 no. He may be punished, we will see, regardless there is a woman in the hospital because of someone encouraging, Ill say it, his paranoia. That encouragement might as well have been coming directly from you.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:18:53 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:02:58 PM, imabench wrote:
At 1/25/2016 4:49:05 PM, liltankjj wrote:

While all 24 hour news networks do their absolute best in trying to hype up the news as much as possible to get people to watch their channel over others (causing anxiety in some about mass shootings in movie theaters or any public place in general), only one of those three networks far and away tries to push the agenda that concealed carry weapon users rather than gun control is the proper way to combat the issue.....

Fox

Well Fox id the only (supposedly) conservative news station.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:20:52 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:17:30 PM, TBR wrote:

As was done with this case? No... He was a terrible concealed carry guy. Drunk, gun with no holster. Caution? He11 no. He may be punished, we will see, regardless there is a woman in the hospital because of someone encouraging, Ill say it, his paranoia. That encouragement might as well have been coming directly from you.

Well fear is an excellent motivator.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:24:08 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:20:52 PM, liltankjj wrote:

Fear or paranoia? How many have died in movie theater shootings? Does the fear for this justify the actions? When weighing this question, it would seem the proper term is paranoia.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:25:25 PM

As was done with this case? No... He was a terrible concealed carry guy. Drunk, gun with no holster. Caution? He11 no.

I already said he was an idiot and not representative of the majority of CCW permit holders.

He may be punished, we will see,

His bond is set at 25K. That tells me they are already serious about holding him accountable.

regardless there is a woman in the hospital because of someone encouraging, Ill say it, his paranoia.

According to his biographical info, he seems educated. How do you know he was not educating himself and feeding his own paranoia?

That encouragement might as well have been coming directly from you.

Your attempts at flattery are not going to get you anywhere with this.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:42:32 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:25:25 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

As was done with this case? No... He was a terrible concealed carry guy. Drunk, gun with no holster. Caution? He11 no.

I already said he was an idiot and not representative of the majority of CCW permit holders.

His bond is set at 25K. That tells me they are already serious about holding him accountable.

regardless there is a woman in the hospital because of someone encouraging, Ill say it, his paranoia.

According to his biographical info, he seems educated. How do you know he was not educating himself and feeding his own paranoia?

Where would anyone draw information from? Perhaps the news, a website? Look on any and you will see hype about crime and dangers. On this site every discussion includes the same garbage. I point back to a gun loving guy that thinks the 60% of homicides are the result of home-invasion. Not isolated, the paranoia run high - to high. Everyone needs to stop it. Just cut it the he11 out.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:56:03 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:42:32 PM, TBR wrote:

Is it good or wise to encourage MORE people to carry or not?

Where would anyone draw information from? Perhaps the news, a website?

All of the above. Where did Ted" Kaczynski get his information from? He was shacked up in a tiny cabin with no power, internet or TV. Was he any less paranoid?

Look on any and you will see hype about crime and dangers. On this site every discussion includes the same garbage. I point back to a gun loving guy that thinks the 60% of homicides are the result of home-invasion. Not isolated, the paranoia run high - to high. Everyone needs to stop it. Just cut it the he11 out.

Meh.

I trust that most people are smart enough to filter information for themself and I also trust everyone to be responsible with their other rights as well. Overall, I trust the people much more than I trust our own government - especially if they were to attempt the level of censorship that you seem to be calling for.

liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:57:46 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:24:08 PM, TBR wrote:

Fear or paranoia? How many have died in movie theater shootings? Does the fear for this justify the actions? When weighing this question, it would seem the proper term is paranoia.

I am currently under the assumption that the two were synonymous.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 5:59:37 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:57:46 PM, liltankjj wrote:

No. Fear can be rational. Paranoia is delusional.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:01:27 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:56:03 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

All of the above. Where did Ted" Kaczynski get his information from? He was shacked up in a tiny cabin with no power, internet or TV. Was he any less paranoid?

Look on any and you will see hype about crime and dangers. On this site every discussion includes the same garbage. I point back to a gun loving guy that thinks the 60% of homicides are the result of home-invasion. Not isolated, the paranoia run high - to high. Everyone needs to stop it. Just cut it the he11 out.

Meh.

I trust that most people are smart enough to filter information for themself and I also trust everyone to be responsible with their other rights as well. Overall, I trust the people much more than I trust our own government - especially if they were to attempt the level of censorship that you seem to be calling for.

Censorship? I am not calling for censorship, I am telling people that being paranoid, spreading the same is a determent to society.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:02:43 PM
At 1/25/2016 5:59:37 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/25/2016 5:57:46 PM, liltankjj wrote:

No. Fear can be rational. Paranoia is delusional.

I can agree with your definition after a quick compare and contrast of the two. So fear can turn into paranoia.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:05:24 PM
At 1/25/2016 6:01:27 PM, TBR wrote:

Meh.

Censorship? I am not calling for censorship, I am telling people that being paranoid, spreading the same is a determent to society.

Okay point taken.

Now Riddle me this.

Who was responsible for Ted Kaczynski's paranoia?

And if he was susceptible to being induced by the rantings of others, why wasn't he susceptible to conservative propaganda instead of by liberal propaganda?

kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:08:25 PM

wouldn't it be fair to say even without any paranoia it still could have occurred? If you are drinking, you shouldn't carry,handle,use any firearm, just like you should drive. Drugs and alcohol probably do magnify feelings of paranoia. He could have been on other drugs, illegal or prescription. He is to blame for extremely poor self control and should be held to the same accountability as someone who injures someone else with a dui charge. Well maybe not since the dui in my state is but a slap on the wrist, then there's that kid that killed 4 people..... He should have extensive mandatory education and training before every possessing a firearm again.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:09:59 PM
At 1/25/2016 6:05:24 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Meh.

Okay point taken.

Now Riddle me this.

And if he was susceptible to being induced by the rantings of others, why wasn't he susceptible to conservative propaganda instead of by liberal propaganda?

Are you trying to say that Kaczynski was "left"? Because that is just insanity. His veranda was TARGETED at the left.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:10:33 PM
At 1/25/2016 6:09:59 PM, TBR wrote:

Meh.

Okay point taken.

Now Riddle me this.

Are you trying to say that Kaczynski was "left"? Because that is just insanity. His veranda was TARGETED at the left.

*vendetta*
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:14:50 PM
At 1/25/2016 6:09:59 PM, TBR wrote:

Meh.

Okay point taken.

Now Riddle me this.

" Kaczynski engaged in a nationwide bombing campaign against people involved with modern technology, planting or mailing numerous homemade bombs, ultimately killing a total of three people and injuring 23 others. He is also known for his wide-ranging social critiques, which opposed industrialization and modern technology while advancing a nature-centered form of anarchism.[2][3][4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org...

He was not a Conservative.

He was one of these:

https://www.youtube.com...

Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:15:03 PM

+1
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 6:16:49 PM
At 1/25/2016 6:08:25 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

wouldn't it be fair to say even without any paranoia it still could have occurred? If you are drinking, you shouldn't carry,handle,use any firearm, just like you should drive. Drugs and alcohol probably do magnify feelings of paranoia. He could have been on other drugs, illegal or prescription. He is to blame for extremely poor self control and should be held to the same accountability as someone who injures someone else with a dui charge. Well maybe not since the dui in my state is but a slap on the wrist, then there's that kid that killed 4 people..... He should have extensive mandatory education and training before every possessing a firearm again.

The guy had a valid CCP. He admits his reasoning for carrying a gun. The simple truth is, getting shot at a movie theater is wildly unlikely. What else would you like to call it? Paranoid.

When gun-supporters say, "well, this was drunk, and shouldn't carry while..." I say, he11 yea. Further it is my position that many if not most should NOT carry a gun with them. They sure as he11 should not be encouraged, or buy into the propaganda that there very lives are under constant threat.