Is youtube next?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 11:47:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
My friend just got one of these :L

And no, Google owns Youtube, shutting it down will be a helluva legal battle. And they're not p^ssing us off, limewire is illegal ya know.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 11:50:13 AM
At 10/26/2010 11:37:39 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://oi51.tinypic.com...
Do they really need to try this hard to piss us off?

Yep, looks like limewire is going to be moving it's servers to Sweden.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 11:53:41 AM
At 10/27/2010 11:47:14 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
My friend just got one of these :L

And no, Google owns Youtube, shutting it down will be a helluva legal battle.

Agreed. I still think they will remove videos ar a faster rate.

And they're not p^ssing us off, limewire is illegal ya know.

That makes no sense. It may be illegal, but it is still pissing us off. (pissing isn't a word that needs censored)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 3:41:46 PM
im pissed that limewire is tanking because i use that for like 99% of my music. i am surprised it took so long for it to be shut down though
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 8:32:49 PM
I love this whole situation... You see I'm not one of the brainwashed idiots that believe in property rights and laws and all that garbage. Seeing the government struggle to keep intellectual property laws in place while it slips through their fingers like so much water is just wonderful. As far as intellectual defense of these laws, you people who defend them are easily defeated.
no comment
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 8:44:58 PM
At 10/27/2010 8:39:58 PM, Sieben wrote:
Many libertarians don't think IP is a legitimate form of property rights.

I think we're gradually becoming the majority.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 10:14:48 PM
At 10/27/2010 8:39:58 PM, Sieben wrote:
Many libertarians don't think IP is a legitimate form of property rights.
I don't know why more libertarians don't disagree with IP, but it seems that most of them are on the IP wagon.

IP limits what you can do with your own physical property - even with your own mind - without requiring you to actually agree to those limitations. It seems to quite directly be a simple, unwanted loss of freedom being forced on people.

It would be one thing if IP required actual contracts, where you could freely agree to limit your use of creative material, but that's simply not how it's implemented.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 10:53:46 PM
What does the queen have to say about it?

My concern with IP is that it's highly inefficient by design. If information was readily available about everything, the world would be a better place.
no comment
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:46:15 AM
At 10/27/2010 10:53:46 PM, Caramel wrote:

My concern with IP is that it's highly inefficient by design. If information was readily available about everything, the world would be a better place.

If food were readily available for everyone, the world would be a better place.

It isn't and can't be, because it HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE. The result of stealing IP spreads around what's there, sure, but it limits new discoveries, just as redistributing physical wealth limits new production.
We'd be back to the much less efficient means of preserving incentive-- trade secret.

Beem0r, the notion that IP "limits what you can do with your actual property"... well, my right to life limits your ability to put your lead property in my head, what of it? That's the nature of rights, they are LIMITS on what one person can do to another, on whether you can kill someone, or ruin their labors by depriving them of what they labored for...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 2:55:53 AM
At 10/27/2010 11:53:41 AM, lovelife wrote:

That makes no sense. It may be illegal, but it is still pissing us off. (pissing isn't a word that needs censored)

Pissing people of wasn't the sole intention of the act.

And I'm not defending the right to shut down Liemwire, just the legal ability to do it.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 8:45:14 AM
At 10/28/2010 2:55:53 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

It was a result tho. And I'm sure they were aware.

And I'm not defending the right to shut down Liemwire, just the legal ability to do it.

I don't think anyone was saying that it wasn't legal for them to, just that its really annoying.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 8:48:33 AM
Youtube isn't next. Google has more than enough money to negotiate with ad companies and media companies. I don't mind watching ads before I can watch my stuff or listen to music.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 8:52:37 AM
She originated IP
You'll find the utilitarian case difficult to argue without sound economics. Most advocates of IP do not support the status quo. They support something else, a mythical alternative system that is only "good" IP.

So they claim that some IP helps innovation up front, even if it harms innovation for a little while down the line. So what's the net? They claim it can be positive. You claim its always negative. How do either of you know that the properties of all possible IP systems?
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:35:26 PM
http://www.video2mp3.net...

Problem solved. It may not be as good of quality, but you can't really be fussy imo when you have to rely on free downloads rather than paid ones.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:37:41 PM
At 10/28/2010 8:48:33 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I don't mind watching ads before I can watch my stuff or listen to music.

I do.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 12:39:26 PM
At 10/28/2010 12:37:41 PM, Reasoning wrote:

I do.

They're annoying, but it's a necessary evil to keep this stuff up for people to enjoy for free.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 1:12:09 PM

I do.

Seconded. We waste all these resources on the advertising agency, jsut to waste more watching them, and just to waste even more buying the useless sh11 being advertised. What a mess.
no comment
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 1:16:38 PM
At 10/28/2010 12:46:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Another subject, but yes; very attainable, but just not in the interest of the rich at this time.

It isn't and can't be, because it HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE.

It will still come from somewhere... Who is paying you to write these tens of thousands of DDO posts Ragnar? You have no benefits from IP yet you continue to create intellectual goods right here on DDO for our enjoyment. Using your logic, it is impossible for you to contribute to the conversation unless you are being paid.

The result of stealing IP spreads around what's there, sure, but it limits new discoveries, just as redistributing physical wealth limits new production.

Limiting new discoveries isn't everything, and even if it were, it would still be worth the lower productivity to simply be able to enjoy what's here for free already. If you ask me, if information was readily available, people would be able to add to it more readily. Just look at Wikipedia...

We'd be back to the much less efficient means of preserving incentive-- trade secret.

If there is no trade, there is no trade secrets.
no comment
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 1:18:16 PM
At 10/28/2010 12:39:26 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I do.

They're annoying, but it's a necessary evil to keep this stuff up for people to enjoy for free.

Only under the current capitalist paradigm... The resources we put into the advertising industry could be used to create the IP in the first place. Oh wait, they are... But it's useless IP that we have to be manipulated or outright forced to watch against our will. Just great.
no comment
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 2:28:53 PM
At 10/28/2010 8:45:14 AM, lovelife wrote:

Taxes p*ss people off, but they don't use it for that purpose.

I don't think anyone was saying that it wasn't legal for them to, just that its really annoying.

Sure, not being able to kill people is pretty annoying, but 'tis the law.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 5:01:19 PM
At 10/28/2010 2:28:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/28/2010 8:45:14 AM, lovelife wrote:

Taxes p*ss people off, but they don't use it for that purpose.

I hope your not missing the point on purpose....I'm agreeing with you, did you need that spelled out so badly?

Sure, not being able to kill people is pretty annoying, but 'tis the law.

Only in some situations. You can kill if your in the army, or a police officer, under the right circumstances, and also if someone is trespassing on your land, for example.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 7:07:37 PM
At 10/28/2010 1:16:38 PM, Caramel wrote:
At 10/28/2010 12:46:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Another subject, but yes; very attainable, but just not in the interest of the rich at this time.
Lolpostscarcity. If you argue that the interests of the rich are all thats in the way, you argue that everyone else is less competent than the rich, since the rich clearly aren't forbidding you from making more food.

It isn't and can't be, because it HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE.

It will still come from somewhere
Not if it doesn't come.

... Who is paying you to write these tens of thousands of DDO posts Ragnar? You have no benefits from IP yet you continue to create intellectual goods right here on DDO for our enjoyment. Using your logic, it is impossible for you to contribute to the conversation unless you are being paid.
A world in which no intellectual goods existed other than propaganda, which is the vast majority of what is posted in DDO, including the present post, would suck.

Some people even create mildly entertaining things because they enjoy doing so. These tend to be very mild for most people in most cases compared to the entertainment one gets from professionals-- if this were not the case, no one would be stupid enough to pay for such entertainment.

And that's without discussing more generally useful things, many of which are rather boring to make-- perhaps more fun than other work (and the market compensates for this by increasing the supply of competitors and hence squeezing the expected wages), but less fun than nonproductive pursuits, in the absence of receipt of fruit of production.

The result of stealing IP spreads around what's there, sure, but it limits new discoveries, just as redistributing physical wealth limits new production.

Limiting new discoveries isn't everything, and even if it were, it would still be worth the lower productivity to simply be able to enjoy what's here for free already.
It assuredly would not. There's plenty that is presently free, people still pay for more, and it's absurdly specific without evidence to say that what is presently known but expensive is valuable but what is not yet known and will need to be expensive for anyone to be motivated to find out is not valuable.

If you ask me, if information was readily available, people would be able to add to it more readily. Just look at Wikipedia...
How many diseases has Wikipedia cured,or even treated? Wikipedia is useful, but it has very little depth, and cannot cover all informative purposes. The fact that people enjoy making SOME information simply establishes the fact that information will be cheaper than it otherwise would be, it does not establish that you can get all the information you need that way.

We'd be back to the much less efficient means of preserving incentive-- trade secret. .

If there is no trade, there is no trade secrets.
If there is no trade, then you have to produce everything you need personally, and have less life expectancy than a neanderthal
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 8:05:50 PM
Why do a lot of you seem to think that Limewire is illegal? It isn't.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 9:31:35 AM
Replacement: Frostwire

It has Limewires same codes and everything. It is safe and works, I got it yesterday. R.I.P: Limewire.
kfc