Could an atheist become president

Pem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:57:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://friendlyatheist.com...

My post is derived from the interview Jimmy Carter gave in which he says that he thinks an atheist could become president. However, he gives the condition that the atheist must not base his campaign about putting down religion or hindering religious activities. That the atheist must show that they are a deep thinking and care deeply about human rights.

To me this sounds like a wonderful notion. What is your opinion on the matter?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:01:08 AM
At 10/29/2010 9:57:51 AM, Pem wrote:

My post is derived from the interview Jimmy Carter gave in which he says that he thinks an atheist could become president. However, he gives the condition that the atheist must not base his campaign about putting down religion or hindering religious activities. That the atheist must show that they are a deep thinking and care deeply about human rights.

nope....

maybe in 20 years or so.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:02:09 AM
Yes, an atheist could become president, there are no rules against it.

Is it likely in this day and age? Not so much. It does really depend on how he (or she) deals with religion on issues. If they make a point that "I am an Atheist running for president," they'll have a much harder time then if they make a point that "I'm running for president, and just so happen to be an atheist."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:04:32 AM
At 10/29/2010 10:01:08 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
maybe in 20 years or so.

HOWEVER!.. I'm pretty sure Obama's an atheist... (His devotion to his particular church was [I HOPE] political posturing,... so why not his whole Religious identity?

so... I guess it's possible.. they've just got to lie.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:05:28 AM
If they kept it on the DL probably. But it's hard to when other candidates love to be Christian, and a common question is you're stance on Evolution or your religious views.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:37:03 AM
At 10/29/2010 10:05:28 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
If they kept it on the DL probably. But it's hard to when other candidates love to be Christian, and a common question is you're stance on Evolution or your religious views.

Evolution - Yes, I believe that is widely enough accepted that agreeing with it will cost you less votes, the denying it.

If a moderator at a debate asks, "what are your views on religion?" (I don't think that they flat out ask "Are you a Christian?") - you stay focused on the 1st Amendment protecting people's religion and their right to worship (and always use christian churchs as examples).

For example, "Religion is an important aspect of our society, culture, and history. And it is vital for the protection of our freedoms that government not get in the way of anyone's right to religion. Whether you are Catholic, Baptist, Protistant, Methodist, or any other religion, the United States of America will not get in the way or try to prevent or limit your beliefs."

This isn't gonna make every christian run to vote for an athiest, but I think that it works well in not pushing them away.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:45:13 AM
At 10/29/2010 10:37:03 AM, OreEle wrote:

Evolution - Yes, I believe that is widely enough accepted that agreeing with it will cost you less votes, the denying it.

If a moderator at a debate asks, "what are your views on religion?" (I don't think that they flat out ask "Are you a Christian?") - you stay focused on the 1st Amendment protecting people's religion and their right to worship (and always use christian churchs as examples).

For example, "Religion is an important aspect of our society, culture, and history. And it is vital for the protection of our freedoms that government not get in the way of anyone's right to religion. Whether you are Catholic, Baptist, Protistant, Methodist, or any other religion, the United States of America will not get in the way or try to prevent or limit your beliefs."

But usually you have to throw in a religious comment about it, e.g. "As a Christian I believe....". It's often inescapable, and a "Not saying" raises a lot of eyebrows.

This isn't gonna make every christian run to vote for an athiest, but I think that it works well in not pushing them away.

Yeah, but if the truth is leaked they lose serious standing.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:50:15 AM
85% of Americans self-identify as Christians. (2002)
7% of US adults classify as evangelicals (2004) (see Evangelical category for more information)
38% of US adults classify as born again, but not evangelical. (2004)
37% are self-described Christians but are neither evangelical nor born again
Atheists and agnostics comprise 12% of adults nationwide. (2004)
11% of the US population identify with a faith other than Christianity (2004)

[http://atheism.about.com...]

Kinda tough.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:51:09 AM
At 10/29/2010 10:45:13 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

But usually you have to throw in a religious comment about it, e.g. "As a Christian I believe....". It's often inescapable, and a "Not saying" raises a lot of eyebrows.

Yes, it does raise eye brows, but coming out and saying "I'm an athiest, and as such think all religions are foolishly devoid of logic, reasoning, and common sense." Is going be a lot worse then raised eye brows.

Though I suppose you could secretly run a 3rd party candidate who is that kind of over-the-top athiest, and you, being a more moderate and accepting of religious rights could take the forefront against those claims and stand by both the constitution and religion against that 3rd party candidate to try to get religious people to say "well, I guess he isn't too bad."

That's when you point out your opponent likes interracial gay midget sex... and some kind of animal.

jk
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:52:33 AM
At 10/29/2010 10:50:15 AM, m93samman wrote:
7% of US adults classify as evangelicals (2004) (see Evangelical category for more information)

Kinda tough.

85% christian.
12% Atheists/Agnostics
11% religious non-christians.

something just isn't adding up with these.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 11:16:34 AM
At 10/29/2010 10:51:09 AM, OreEle wrote:

Yes, it does raise eye brows, but coming out and saying "I'm an athiest, and as such think all religions are foolishly devoid of logic, reasoning, and common sense." Is going be a lot worse then raised eye brows.

Raised eye brows will lead to wild accusations, like the "Christine O'Donnell is a witch" ones, but 10x worse.

Though I suppose you could secretly run a 3rd party candidate who is that kind of over-the-top athiest, and you, being a more moderate and accepting of religious rights could take the forefront against those claims and stand by both the constitution and religion against that 3rd party candidate to try to get religious people to say "well, I guess he isn't too bad."

3rd party candidates don't get attention unless they have enough money to buy a small African country.

That's when you point out your opponent likes interracial gay midget sex... and some kind of animal.

jk

Oh American politics.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 11:20:56 AM
At 10/29/2010 10:52:33 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 10/29/2010 10:50:15 AM, m93samman wrote:

Kinda tough.

85% christian.
12% Atheists/Agnostics
11% religious non-christians.

something just isn't adding up with these.

Maybe some of the atheists have joined a religion, but still think they are atheist.
My aunt for example, atheist, is always talking about how ridiculous christianity is, she goes to church all the time, and depending on her mood will say "as a christian" or "christians are so retarded"
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 11:26:42 AM
At 10/29/2010 11:16:34 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Raised eye brows will lead to wild accusations, like the "Christine O'Donnell is a witch" ones, but 10x worse.

That actually came out because she said that she had dabbled (I think that was the word she used) in witchcraft when she was a kid.

3rd party candidates don't get attention unless they have enough money to buy a small African country.

And now candidates don't have to release where they get their donations from, so the primary candidate could fund the extremist (though if that got out, it would be game over).

jk

Oh American politics.

And the power of photoshop.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 12:01:46 PM
At 10/29/2010 11:26:42 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 10/29/2010 11:16:34 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

That actually came out because she said that she had dabbled (I think that was the word she used) in witchcraft when she was a kid.

And of course said allegations are often falsified. And if they're Atheist the American populace will be easily duped.

And now candidates don't have to release where they get their donations from, so the primary candidate could fund the extremist (though if that got out, it would be game over).

It's a possibility. But a bad one if the extremist gains support. Add in the possibility of whistle-blowers.

jk

Oh American politics.

And the power of photoshop.

Lol
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 12:48:25 PM
An atheist has a better chance of reaching Heaven then he/she does of reaching the Oval Office.

In the last Presidential Primaries, every single Republican nominee was Christian without exception. Not much different on the Dem side; every single one was Christian with the sole exception of Mike Gravel, who received less support than any other headlining nominee on either side of the political aisle. He was so unpopular that they cut him from the later debates, much to my chagrin, as he was tearing Hillary and Obama new *******'s and was clearly the most competent person that has probably ever gotten that far. The American people are not ready to be weened off religion, as our culture is very undeveloped in several key areas and we are not thinking for ourselves in many respects.
no comment
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 3:29:35 PM

HeII we are still looking for a Mormon to get in let alone an atheist.
I am sure we have had an atheist in, but can they run as an atheist; and win is another story.

I can not think of an atheist ever holding office dating all the way to George Washington, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson.

(I am sure a lot of people thought we would never have a black president... but....)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 3:32:22 PM
At 10/29/2010 3:29:35 PM, comoncents wrote:

I can not think of an atheist ever holding office dating all the way to George Washington, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson.

They were deists not Atheists.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 3:36:26 PM
At 10/29/2010 3:32:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 10/29/2010 3:29:35 PM, comoncents wrote:

They were deists not Atheists.

Step back... read what I wrote... then slap yourself in the head.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 5:50:00 PM

I doubt it. Like some others said, maybe in 20+ years. But it would be a stretch even then. Most people (in America) would trust a terrorist over an atheist. Actually they are probably viewed as being the same. Atheists don't help their cause though. Just saying.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 9:59:40 PM
At 10/29/2010 4:07:23 PM, Koopin wrote:
Amazing fact of the day:

Not all Presidents who say they are Christians, are Christians.

*Gasps*

Omg really? We had no clue :o
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:04:27 PM
At 10/29/2010 5:50:00 PM, jharry wrote:

I doubt it. Like some others said, maybe in 20+ years. But it would be a stretch even then. Most people (in America) would trust a terrorist over an atheist. Actually they are probably viewed as being the same. Atheists don't help their cause though. Just saying.

Yeah America seems to hate atheists. Its not even just fox news lovers tho. Alot of people I know actually agree with this, and HATE fox news to the death.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:19:56 PM
At 10/29/2010 11:20:56 AM, lovelife wrote:
Maybe some of the atheists have joined a religion, but still think they are atheist.
My aunt for example, atheist, is always talking about how ridiculous christianity is, she goes to church all the time, and depending on her mood will say "as a christian" or "christians are so retarded"

Wtf? http://en.wikipedia.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 10:23:47 PM
At 10/29/2010 10:19:56 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 10/29/2010 11:20:56 AM, lovelife wrote:

Wtf? http://en.wikipedia.org...

Nah she really dislikes religion, she only says she's christian because of the social status. She openly says that even if hell existed then those that would be going there would just have their own party, but those that go to the sky party wouldn't like it, so they go to their own party, or something like that. I get bored with what she says cause she talks too much lmao.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 11:13:07 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned but the current Australian prime minister is an Atheist.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2010 11:40:50 PM
At 10/29/2010 10:04:27 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/29/2010 5:50:00 PM, jharry wrote:

Yeah America seems to hate atheists. Its not even just fox news lovers tho. Alot of people I know actually agree with this, and HATE fox news to the death.

That is probably the worst newscast I have ever seen in my life. It was nearly as bad as the Palin interview.
no comment
wush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 2:38:17 AM
At 10/29/2010 11:13:07 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned but the current Australian prime minister is an Atheist.

she also bet a man who actually trained to become a priest
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it