Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Journalistic bias gets ridiculous

Leugen9001
Posts: 495
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 5:30:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Historically, newspapers, television news networks, and online news sources have always had biases. However, those biases did not affect the actual facts in the stories being reported, only which facts were reported and what spin was put on them. One recent instance of journalistic bias that got so out of control, however, went far beyond the traditional spin and selective reporting; different media outlets with different views reported on different facts completely, almost as if they are in different universes.

The news story is the one about the La Plata High School's alleged teaching of Islam as the only true religion and forcing it over its students. FOX news and WUSA9 reported drastically different things.

In WUSA9's universe, which I shall hereby refer to as universe "W", two crazed fundamentalist parents decided that teaching about Islam, which, as a major world religion, had a large influence on history, in history class was "wrong". The article quotes little from the parents to show why they were outraged, leading the reader to believe that they were bigots. In universe W, the school only taught about Islam's influence on the world, instead of forcing students to believe in it. This might not be our reality, but it sure is the reality that WUSA depicts.

In FOX news' universe "F", on the other hand, the high school directly forced the students to believe in Islam. They were forced to recite a prayer in a way that, according to the parents' lawyer, constituted a conversion, and the curriculum taught that Christians were weaker in faith than the Muslims. In universe F, the parents did talk about why they were outraged.

Why. Just why.

http://www.wusa9.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...
:) nac
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 5:34:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 5:30:17 AM, Leugen9001 wrote:
Historically, newspapers, television news networks, and online news sources have always had biases. However, those biases did not affect the actual facts in the stories being reported, only which facts were reported and what spin was put on them. One recent instance of journalistic bias that got so out of control, however, went far beyond the traditional spin and selective reporting; different media outlets with different views reported on different facts completely, almost as if they are in different universes.

The news story is the one about the La Plata High School's alleged teaching of Islam as the only true religion and forcing it over its students. FOX news and WUSA9 reported drastically different things.

In WUSA9's universe, which I shall hereby refer to as universe "W", two crazed fundamentalist parents decided that teaching about Islam, which, as a major world religion, had a large influence on history, in history class was "wrong". The article quotes little from the parents to show why they were outraged, leading the reader to believe that they were bigots. In universe W, the school only taught about Islam's influence on the world, instead of forcing students to believe in it. This might not be our reality, but it sure is the reality that WUSA depicts.

In FOX news' universe "F", on the other hand, the high school directly forced the students to believe in Islam. They were forced to recite a prayer in a way that, according to the parents' lawyer, constituted a conversion, and the curriculum taught that Christians were weaker in faith than the Muslims. In universe F, the parents did talk about why they were outraged.

Why. Just why.

http://www.wusa9.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...

Crazy sells.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"Over her head the stars, the thoughts of God in the heavens,
Shone on the eyes of man, who had ceased to marvel and worship"
- Henry Longfellow -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
Torton
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 5:37:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Selective reporting as a way to push specific agendas, I don't think will ever go away, unless there's some huge push for universal quality standards (and that itself can be designed to be biased [and probably would be; the only way I can think of combating that is lots of oversight]).
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 5:50:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 5:30:17 AM, Leugen9001 wrote:
Historically, newspapers, television news networks, and online news sources have always had biases. However, those biases did not affect the actual facts in the stories being reported, only which facts were reported and what spin was put on them. One recent instance of journalistic bias that got so out of control, however, went far beyond the traditional spin and selective reporting; different media outlets with different views reported on different facts completely, almost as if they are in different universes.

The news story is the one about the La Plata High School's alleged teaching of Islam as the only true religion and forcing it over its students. FOX news and WUSA9 reported drastically different things.

In WUSA9's universe, which I shall hereby refer to as universe "W", two crazed fundamentalist parents decided that teaching about Islam, which, as a major world religion, had a large influence on history, in history class was "wrong". The article quotes little from the parents to show why they were outraged, leading the reader to believe that they were bigots. In universe W, the school only taught about Islam's influence on the world, instead of forcing students to believe in it. This might not be our reality, but it sure is the reality that WUSA depicts.

In FOX news' universe "F", on the other hand, the high school directly forced the students to believe in Islam. They were forced to recite a prayer in a way that, according to the parents' lawyer, constituted a conversion, and the curriculum taught that Christians were weaker in faith than the Muslims. In universe F, the parents did talk about why they were outraged.

Why. Just why.

http://www.wusa9.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...

- HAHHAHHAAH! Beautiful!
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 3:59:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 5:30:17 AM, Leugen9001 wrote:
Historically, newspapers, television news networks, and online news sources have always had biases. However, those biases did not affect the actual facts in the stories being reported, only which facts were reported and what spin was put on them. One recent instance of journalistic bias that got so out of control, however, went far beyond the traditional spin and selective reporting; different media outlets with different views reported on different facts completely, almost as if they are in different universes.

The news story is the one about the La Plata High School's alleged teaching of Islam as the only true religion and forcing it over its students. FOX news and WUSA9 reported drastically different things.

In WUSA9's universe, which I shall hereby refer to as universe "W", two crazed fundamentalist parents decided that teaching about Islam, which, as a major world religion, had a large influence on history, in history class was "wrong". The article quotes little from the parents to show why they were outraged, leading the reader to believe that they were bigots. In universe W, the school only taught about Islam's influence on the world, instead of forcing students to believe in it. This might not be our reality, but it sure is the reality that WUSA depicts.

In FOX news' universe "F", on the other hand, the high school directly forced the students to believe in Islam. They were forced to recite a prayer in a way that, according to the parents' lawyer, constituted a conversion, and the curriculum taught that Christians were weaker in faith than the Muslims. In universe F, the parents did talk about why they were outraged.

Why. Just why.

http://www.wusa9.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...

The usual purpose of one "side" of the news is to tell you what to fear. Now, I will leave it to you to sort that out, but a good chunk of the viewership is obsessed with what they should be terrified of.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:57:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay, things have reached the point where I'd favor replacing strict freedom of the press for a system where neutral and balanced reporting is required.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 5:44:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 4:57:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Okay, things have reached the point where I'd favor replacing strict freedom of the press for a system where neutral and balanced reporting is required.

The biggest problem to me is the very casual mixing of "opinion" journalism with actual news reporting. People have a very hard time separating the two. On this site I have seen many links to opinion pieces passed as "news".
mc9
Posts: 1,438
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:24:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
But people aren't mad at all when Greek mythology is taught in schools.
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
Torton
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:32:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 9:24:56 PM, mc9 wrote:
But people aren't mad at all when Greek mythology is taught in schools.

Look up the definition of the word mythology. No one has a problem with it because everyone knows it's all fictional, no one's encouraging people to worship Greek gods, and it has significance in regards to Greek society (and I imagine after enough time has passed, the same thing will happen to modern religions like Christianity and Islam).
mc9
Posts: 1,438
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:35:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 9:32:13 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:24:56 PM, mc9 wrote:
But people aren't mad at all when Greek mythology is taught in schools.

Look up the definition of the word mythology. No one has a problem with it because everyone knows it's all fictional, no one's encouraging people to worship Greek gods, and it has significance in regards to Greek society (and I imagine after enough time has passed, the same thing will happen to modern religions like Christianity and Islam).

That is the same as Islam, they are teaching it due to historical significance since they are learning about the Islamic empire, and Islam has a high significance in it. is teaching about the Greek ,Gods forcing you to convert and worship them?
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
Torton
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:40:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 9:35:05 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:32:13 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:24:56 PM, mc9 wrote:
But people aren't mad at all when Greek mythology is taught in schools.

Look up the definition of the word mythology. No one has a problem with it because everyone knows it's all fictional, no one's encouraging people to worship Greek gods, and it has significance in regards to Greek society (and I imagine after enough time has passed, the same thing will happen to modern religions like Christianity and Islam).

That is the same as Islam, they are teaching it due to historical significance since they are learning about the Islamic empire, and Islam has a high significance in it. is teaching about the Greek ,Gods forcing you to convert and worship them?
...? I don't have a problem with teaching about historical contexts of religion in societies.
mc9
Posts: 1,438
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:42:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 9:40:42 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:35:05 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:32:13 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:24:56 PM, mc9 wrote:
But people aren't mad at all when Greek mythology is taught in schools.

Look up the definition of the word mythology. No one has a problem with it because everyone knows it's all fictional, no one's encouraging people to worship Greek gods, and it has significance in regards to Greek society (and I imagine after enough time has passed, the same thing will happen to modern religions like Christianity and Islam).

That is the same as Islam, they are teaching it due to historical significance since they are learning about the Islamic empire, and Islam has a high significance in it. is teaching about the Greek ,Gods forcing you to convert and worship them?
...? I don't have a problem with teaching about historical contexts of religion in societies.

So we're in agreement.
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong
Leugen9001
Posts: 495
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 10:59:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 9:35:05 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:32:13 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:24:56 PM, mc9 wrote:
But people aren't mad at all when Greek mythology is taught in schools.

Look up the definition of the word mythology. No one has a problem with it because everyone knows it's all fictional, no one's encouraging people to worship Greek gods, and it has significance in regards to Greek society (and I imagine after enough time has passed, the same thing will happen to modern religions like Christianity and Islam).

That is the same as Islam, they are teaching it due to historical significance since they are learning about the Islamic empire, and Islam has a high significance in it. is teaching about the Greek ,Gods forcing you to convert and worship them?

Except my point is that one source says that the school teaches about Islam and the other source says that the school teaches that Islam is true.
:) nac
mc9
Posts: 1,438
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 10:12:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/30/2016 10:59:39 PM, Leugen9001 wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:35:05 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:32:13 PM, Torton wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:24:56 PM, mc9 wrote:
But people aren't mad at all when Greek mythology is taught in schools.

Look up the definition of the word mythology. No one has a problem with it because everyone knows it's all fictional, no one's encouraging people to worship Greek gods, and it has significance in regards to Greek society (and I imagine after enough time has passed, the same thing will happen to modern religions like Christianity and Islam).

That is the same as Islam, they are teaching it due to historical significance since they are learning about the Islamic empire, and Islam has a high significance in it. is teaching about the Greek ,Gods forcing you to convert and worship them?

Except my point is that one source says that the school teaches about Islam and the other source says that the school teaches that Islam is true.

Ok I see now I didn't catch that, I would expect that Fox News is the one that is false though.
Stan is better than bad guy if you disagree with me you're wrong