Jump to topic:

What's the deal with Iowa?

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 12:04:46 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Am Canadian, have no idea what the significance that Iowa has to the US election. Someone please explain.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 12:13:41 AM
At 2/1/2016 12:04:46 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Am Canadian, have no idea what the significance that Iowa has to the US election. Someone please explain.

It's really just an election for both the DNC and RNC. Democrats vote for their preferred democratic candidate (Sanders, Clinton, O'Malley), and republicans do the same for candidates in their party. It's significant because it shows which candidates are favored the most in the two parties. Lot's of people will drop out of the race next week.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 12:47:27 AM

Neither do Americans, so don't worry. Iowa was an accident that just sort of happened.

I'm joking a bit, but not too much. That's more or less the reality.

Iowa holds the first primary (nomination stage) election in the United States. This has been the case since 1972. It has a fairly complex nomination process, so I'll spare you those details. Essentially, that meant it needed more time, so it usually went earlier. After the chaos at the 1968 DNC, it ended up in Iowa in 1972. The GOP followed it there in 1976.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 1:21:53 AM

Yea, as others point out, it is just the first. It is a caucus, I posted a thread about this process in the forum.