American economic freedom declined

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 3:05:22 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 2:35:34 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
After improving for the last decade, America's economic score plummets.

http://dailysignal.com...

http://www.heritage.org...

Thoughts?

Freedom isn't free, man.

---

Seriously though this guy makes it sound like we'll die because we went from the 6th most to 11th most economically, according to...stats they made.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 3:56:17 AM
At 2/2/2016 3:05:22 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Thoughts?

Freedom isn't free, man.

---

Seriously though this guy makes it sound like we'll die because we went from the 6th most to 11th most economically, according to...stats they made.

It's stil a problem though. American economic freedom is on the decline.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:46:44 AM

Why do you think this is the case? I'd like to hear your take, and then I might respond.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:11:23 AM
At 2/3/2016 2:46:44 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Why do you think this is the case? I'd like to hear your take, and then I might respond.

Many things actually.

Useless regulations in Obamacare which made costs rise up

Citizens United Ruling

Corporate Tax rate is too high

I'll give Obama a break for the stimulus package, because although it rose government spending, it was pretty much needed. to make sure the U.S didn't go into a deep long recession.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:15:42 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:11:23 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

Many things actually.

Citizens United Ruling

I'll give Obama a break for the stimulus package, because although it rose government spending, it was pretty much needed. to make sure the U.S didn't go into a deep long recession.

These things are possibly contributing factors, but the biggest of these are the regulations the federal government tries to implement, many of which stifle economic freedom and stimulate a decline in individual and corporation ability. For example, minimum wage advocacies for higher standards (when passed) place tight restrictions on what businesses can afford.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:17:09 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:15:42 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Many things actually.

Citizens United Ruling

These things are possibly contributing factors, but the biggest of these are the regulations the federal government tries to implement, many of which stifle economic freedom and stimulate a decline in individual and corporation ability. For example, minimum wage advocacies for higher standards (when passed) place tight restrictions on what businesses can afford.

Could you go into detail of which ones? I agree somethings the Federal government shouldn't have got involved, but others I think they should.

I highly doubt that minimum wage lead to this economic ranking plummet, since Australia has a $15 minimum wage, and it's in the top 5 economically free countries.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:19:19 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:17:09 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

Many things actually.

Citizens United Ruling

Could you go into detail of which ones? I agree somethings the Federal government shouldn't have got involved, but others I think they should.

The MW, for example.

I highly doubt that minimum wage lead to this economic ranking plummet, since Australia has a $15 minimum wage, and it's in the top 5 economically free countries.

It's not founded on the freedoms Americans are.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:20:23 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:19:19 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 2/3/2016 3:17:09 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

Many things actually.

Citizens United Ruling

The MW, for example.
Anything else?

It's not founded on the freedoms Americans are.

Yes, but I don't think that's why the ranking dropped. I believe It's more to do with corruption, and government spending.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 4:36:49 PM

Thoughts?

The two sources you give are both owned by the same anti-Obama think tank-- so, it's really just one source provided. Of course, the claims themselves matter more than the source.

Thoughts on the claims-- well, we have been in a slow recovery off a historically large economic calamity, for one. Two, using their own data, 6 of the 7 top most economically free countries have experienced about the same decline as the US. The Heritage Foundation doesn't expect anyone to notice that.

Also, Australia is a major welfare state, yet it ranks as one of the top most economically free countries according to Heritage's own chart. So, government spending/taxation does not necessarily correspond directly with economic freedom.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 4:43:29 PM
At 2/3/2016 4:36:49 PM, Fly wrote:

Thoughts?

The two sources you give are both owned by the same anti-Obama think tank-- so, it's really just one source provided. Of course, the claims themselves matter more than the source.

Thoughts on the claims-- well, we have been in a slow recovery off a historically large economic calamity, for one. Two, using their own data, 6 of the 7 top most economically free countries have experienced about the same decline as the US. The Heritage Foundation doesn't expect anyone to notice that.

Yes, I realize that, but the U.S was making progress for the last 3 years, but it all was erased this year.

Also, Australia is a major welfare state, yet it ranks as one of the top most economically free countries according to Heritage's own chart. So, government spending/taxation does not necessarily correspond directly with economic freedom.

That's not really true. The U.S government spends more than Australia, despite Australia being a welfare state. You just have to compare Australia's score to the U.S's score.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 4:58:34 PM
At 2/3/2016 4:43:29 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Thoughts?

Yes, I realize that, but the U.S was making progress for the last 3 years, but it all was erased this year.

That's not really true. The U.S government spends more than Australia, despite Australia being a welfare state. You just have to compare Australia's score to the U.S's score.

Australia spends ~1.5% of GDP on defense. The US spends more than 3.0% of GDP. They spend 19.5% of GDP on welfare. We spend about 4%.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 5:18:12 PM
At 2/3/2016 4:58:34 PM, TBR wrote:

Thoughts?

Australia spends ~1.5% of GDP on defense. The US spends more than 3.0% of GDP. They spend 19.5% of GDP on welfare. We spend about 4%.

I know, but the overall spending is still more.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 5:19:40 PM

Thoughts?

Hang on, where did you get that 4% number from?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 5:26:16 PM
At 2/3/2016 5:19:40 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Thoughts?

Hang on, where did you get that 4% number from?

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com...
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 5:38:48 PM

Thoughts?

What caused the erasure of the gains? Not testing you but honestly asking.

You are leaving out comparative rates of taxation, which are much harder to compare than spending. I do know that Australia is known for high levels of taxation, so that part of my claim still stands, at least.

Singapore is also known for high levels of government involvement in its small society, yet it scores high in economic freedom. Economic freedom =/= freedom from taxation and government imposed limits. The metrics for economic freedom appear to be rather esoteric, but the Heritage Foundation attempts to put it all in Tea Party terms.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz