Jump to topic:

NSA Surveillance

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:59:53 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
My interest in this topic has been recently piqued... it's spurred me to create this thread to generate discussion.

The way I see it, the surveillance currently done by the NSA (and that which was publicized by Edward Snowden) is not near as extensive as the media has sensationalized, and, insofar as I have learned, is regulated in appropriate fashion. I know the topic isn't necessarily breaking, or new, for that matter, but I would like to know some other opinions as well. What are your thoughts on the topic, regarding legality, necessity, and effectiveness?

I'm open to any thoughts, opinions, or comments... it's been awhile since I created a substantive thread. :P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 6:17:13 AM
The NSA can fvck off. Use a warrant to gather intelligence from Americans and not from some secret kangaroo court, in open court. Reveal all your data collection methods. This is a danger to a free country.

Look, legal experts estimate that we all commit three felonies a day on average. The more information the governmwnt has, the more ability it has to arrest anyone they want, for any reason they feel like.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:57:07 PM
At 2/3/2016 6:17:13 AM, Wylted wrote:
The NSA can *censored* off. Use a warrant to gather intelligence from Americans and not from some secret kangaroo court, in open court. Reveal all your data collection methods. This is a danger to a free country.

You're right in that they should be more open, but I don't think what they're doing now is *too* far. I'd rather they be more open, too, though.

Look, legal experts estimate that we all commit three felonies a day on average. The more information the governmwnt has, the more ability it has to arrest anyone they want, for any reason they feel like.

Lol. I guess. I wish government wasn't corrupt. Otherwise, surveillance policies would be very effective and unobtrusive.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 5:14:26 PM
At 2/3/2016 2:57:07 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
The NSA can *censored* off. Use a warrant to gather intelligence from Americans and not from some secret kangaroo court, in open court. Reveal all your data collection methods. This is a danger to a free country.

You're right in that they should be more open, but I don't think what they're doing now is *too* far. I'd rather they be more open, too, though.

Do you think secretive courts that make decisions in secret and which side with the NSA nearly 100% of the time is fishy?

Lol. I guess. I wish government wasn't corrupt. Otherwise, surveillance policies would be very effective and unobtrusive.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 5:22:36 PM
At 2/3/2016 2:59:53 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
My interest in this topic has been recently piqued... it's spurred me to create this thread to generate discussion.

The way I see it, the surveillance currently done by the NSA (and that which was publicized by Edward Snowden) is not near as extensive as the media has sensationalized, and, insofar as I have learned, is regulated in appropriate fashion. I know the topic isn't necessarily breaking, or new, for that matter, but I would like to know some other opinions as well. What are your thoughts on the topic, regarding legality, necessity, and effectiveness?

I'm open to any thoughts, opinions, or comments... it's been awhile since I created a substantive thread. :P

The 2nd circuit Court of Appeals found it unconstitutional recently
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 7:29:28 PM
At 2/3/2016 5:14:26 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 2/3/2016 2:57:07 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Do you think secretive courts that make decisions in secret and which side with the NSA nearly 100% of the time is fishy?

Probably. :P
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 7:29:47 PM
At 2/3/2016 5:22:36 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:

Link?
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 7:52:10 PM
The NSA can fvck off. Use a warrant to gather intelligence from Americans and not from some secret kangaroo court, in open court. Reveal all your data collection methods. This is a danger to a free country.

Fvcking this.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 7:53:58 PM

Not him, but: http://www.nytimes.com...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 8:06:00 PM
At 2/3/2016 7:53:58 PM, Torton wrote:

Not him, but: http://www.nytimes.com...

But do they really have all of the information they claim to have?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 8:06:58 PM
At 2/3/2016 7:52:10 PM, Torton wrote:

*Censored* this.

I agree policy should not be overreaching, and surveillance that would observe this (assuming it is true) would obviously be too far.