Jump to topic:

Prison Labor . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 12:19:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I believe we should use prison labor to produce goods (cheap food, clothes, soap, etc . . . etc . . .) which could then be sold in government owned store in which we employ those who are on welfare so they can get the @#$% off of welfare as well as use some of that money to buy old and busted homes and put homeless people in them and make them work in our store to work it off (at their own free will for if they don't work they don't get a house or the money they would receive from the store) we could also build cheap (but well equipped) hospitals with this money and use people who have just gotten out of college and are entering in the medical field to run these places so they can be employed upon exiting the medical schools they went to (and this would help their resume so they could go to a real hospital to work). Some of this money could be used to build schools (and pay for the staff) and could also be used to fund scholarships. Does this seem like a good idea?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 12:23:47 PM
I do agree that people in prison should be doing some kind of labour. In many prisons, they get more luxuries than homeless people.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 12:25:48 PM
Varies from goods to goods.

They should do something useful, though. Sitting in a prision cell for extremely long "time outs" just doesn't cut it for me. Plus, what about people that spend 30 years in prison, then just get let out? Getting hit in the face with decades of culture shock. Having them produce goods, or even doing labor, like cleaning parks and what not (under sufficient supervision of course) helps to prevent that culture shock, so there is less a chance of them getting back in here.

This would also be a way to help minimize the cost to prisons, as well as allow the inmates to have some saving for when they go back in the world. If you get released from prison, have no where to live, no where to work, and no money to get you started, what do you expect to happen?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 12:27:34 PM
HEY just what we need! To spend more time and energy coming up with another policy to put in the "good policies" pile. I'll file this between "Taxing and Regulating MJ" and "Speed Cameras" at major intersections.

Protip - We don't need to sit around figuring out what the best business policies are.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 12:34:48 PM
At 11/2/2010 12:19:32 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I believe we should use prison labor to produce goods (cheap food, clothes, soap, etc . . . etc . . .) which could then be sold in government owned store

Sounds mostly good.

in which we employ those who are on welfare so they can get the @#$% off of welfare

What about older teens that's family might be on welfare, or they might just need a job so they have savings for college, and getting a house of their own etc to prevent having to take out loans and prevent them from being on welfare in the first place?

as well as use some of that money to buy old and busted homes and put homeless people in them

I would say buy an appartment complex for them, if they are working, and when they make enough money they can get their own homes, and/or donate to keep the appartment in decent condition.

and make them work in our store to work it off (at their own free will for if they don't work they don't get a house or the money they would receive from the store)

Sounds good.

we could also build cheap (but well equipped) hospitals with this money and use people who have just gotten out of college and are entering in the medical field to run these places so they can be employed upon exiting the medical schools they went to (and this would help their resume so they could go to a real hospital to work). Some of this money could be used to build schools (and pay for the staff) and could also be used to fund scholarships. Does this seem like a good idea?

Isn't that basically internship or something? I don't see why they would need special hospitals for it. Maybe build more hospitals so that the waiting list is shorter, and more people have jobs, but not special hospitals for students lol.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 12:35:31 PM
At 11/2/2010 12:27:34 PM, Sieben wrote:
HEY just what we need! To spend more time and energy coming up with another policy to put in the "good policies" pile. I'll file this between "Taxing and Regulating MJ" and "Speed Cameras" at major intersections.

Protip - We don't need to sit around figuring out what the best business policies are.

You're right, minimizing government expenses while improving function is not really important.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 1:41:36 PM
At 11/2/2010 12:35:31 PM, OreEle wrote:

You're right, minimizing government expenses while improving function is not really important.

Or having a truly self sustaining part of government, while simultaneously pissing off unions.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:34:25 PM
At 11/2/2010 12:34:48 PM, lovelife wrote:
I believe we should use prison labor to produce goods (cheap food, clothes, soap, etc . . . etc . . .) which could then be sold in government owned store

Sounds mostly good.

in which we employ those who are on welfare so they can get the @#$% off of welfare

What about older teens that's family might be on welfare, or they might just need a job so they have savings for college, and getting a house of their own etc to prevent having to take out loans and prevent them from being on welfare in the first place?

as well as use some of that money to buy old and busted homes and put homeless people in them

I would say buy an appartment complex for them, if they are working, and when they make enough money they can get their own homes, and/or donate to keep the appartment in decent condition.

and make them work in our store to work it off (at their own free will for if they don't work they don't get a house or the money they would receive from the store)

Sounds good.

we could also build cheap (but well equipped) hospitals with this money and use people who have just gotten out of college and are entering in the medical field to run these places so they can be employed upon exiting the medical schools they went to (and this would help their resume so they could go to a real hospital to work). Some of this money could be used to build schools (and pay for the staff) and could also be used to fund scholarships. Does this seem like a good idea?

Isn't that basically internship or something? I don't see why they would need special hospitals for it. Maybe build more hospitals so that the waiting list is shorter, and more people have jobs, but not special hospitals for students lol.

So you like the idea?
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:35:25 PM
At 11/2/2010 1:41:36 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/2/2010 12:35:31 PM, OreEle wrote:

Or having a truly self sustaining part of government, while simultaneously pissing off unions.

Are you for or against?
Minister Of Trolling
:
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 4:39:59 PM
The line between freedom and prison continues to blur. The number of imprisoned citizens continues to grow. Why don't we just make the military our prison?
no comment
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 4:48:22 PM
At 11/2/2010 4:39:59 PM, Caramel wrote:
The line between freedom and prison continues to blur. The number of imprisoned citizens continues to grow. Why don't we just make the military our prison?

Wah . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:09:42 PM
I believe we should use prison labor to produce goods (cheap food, clothes, soap, etc . . . etc . . .)
We already have them laboring to produce cheap things. Their productive capacity is limited.

which could then be sold in government owned store in which we employ those who are on welfare so they can get the @#$% off of welfare
Make-work is bad. If they are competent, let them compete in the open market. If they are incompetent let them compete and starve, but I digress.

as well as use some of that money to buy old and busted homes and put homeless people in them and make them work in our store to work it off (at their own free will for if they don't work they don't get a house or the money they would receive from the store)
There aren't profits from this. It can't even cover half the costs of imprisoning the manufacturers in the first place.

we could also build cheap (but well equipped) hospitals with this money
What money? Pretty much all the money you can get from using prisoners as unskilled labor we're already getting. And it's cheaper just to shoot the prisoners and hire on the open market.

and use people who have just gotten out of college and are entering in the medical field to run these places so they can be employed upon exiting the medical schools they went to (and this would help their resume so they could go to a real hospital to work)
Lol. The rebuttal is contained in your contrasting these things with "Real hospitals."

Some of this money could be used to build schools (and pay for the staff) and could also be used to fund scholarships. Does this seem like a good idea?
No. It's based on the faulty premise that there's profits to be found that way. Should people who are imprisoned anyway work even if it only affects part of the cost of imprisonment? Yes, and they DO.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:13:02 PM
The issue is not that this is a good/bad policy. Its probably pretty good. But there are a LOT of good policies we can sit around figuring out.

I mean I could just probably sit and think up 1 new good policy like this an hour. Y'all interested? No.

We should be asking why there isn't a mechanism for implementing good polices, rather than repeatedly proving that we're more enlightened than a bunch of uneducated warmongers.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:16:03 PM
At 11/2/2010 5:13:02 PM, Sieben wrote:
We should be asking why there isn't a mechanism for implementing good polices
There is. It's called convincing the people in power or killing them.

It's also a mechanism for implementing bad policies. What of it?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:19:56 PM
At 11/2/2010 5:16:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/2/2010 5:13:02 PM, Sieben wrote:
We should be asking why there isn't a mechanism for implementing good polices
There is. It's called convincing the people in power or killing them.
That is one way. One of many. But at least you are on board the /yawn train when it comes to some snappy new policy recommendation.
It's also a mechanism for implementing bad policies. What of it?
I mean why there isn't something that automatically weeds out things that aren't working.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:23:08 PM
I mean why there isn't something that automatically weeds out things that aren't working.
Why doesn't a nice bowl of spicy seafood soup fall from the heavens whenever some poor fellow is starving?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:24:13 PM
But at least you are on board the /yawn train when it comes to some snappy new policy recommendation.

Well, usually they aren't new. And even more often they aren't snappy. ^_^.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:25:50 PM
Congratulations on pointing out that not every problem has a solution. If you want to actually clash with my recommendation, you need to show a priori that there is no way to automatically weed out bad decisions.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:27:54 PM
At 11/2/2010 5:25:50 PM, Sieben wrote:
Congratulations on pointing out that not every problem has a solution. If you want to actually clash with my recommendation, you need to show a priori that there is no way to automatically weed out bad decisions.

Wat.

Check Wikipedia under burden of proof and get back to me.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 5:42:03 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:34:25 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 11/2/2010 12:34:48 PM, lovelife wrote:
So you like the idea?

More or less.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 12:54:12 PM
Anymore Takers . . . Q?
Minister Of Trolling
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 8:08:57 PM
At 11/3/2010 12:54:12 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Anymore Takers . . . Q?

Q . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
: