Jump to topic:

Who went to private schools.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:47:41 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Rewatching a west-wing, I think I might actually have to admit I am a complete hypocrite.

Now, my position on public school is, if you can get into a private school, go to the private school. The problem is, I am admittedly hypocritical in denying the opportunity to do that by using voucher. Further, aside from some top-flight Catholic (Jesuit) schools, I think Christian schools are a scam deserving no tax money redirected to them in any way.

So, yea, I went 2-12 in a private schools. Most of my collegiate career was at a private college. I say without hesitation that good schools are private and secular. Problem is, I want public schools to be open to the all. I want school to be not religion with a couple textbooks added for kicks. I want all schools to be funded so well that you would not have to consider the private school option. But, while that is not happening, I say, go to a private school - a secular one at that, and no money from the government to do so.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:51:24 AM
I went to a Catholic high school from September to mid January. Not a fan - of the people, teachers, or curriculum.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:56:51 AM
At 2/9/2016 2:51:24 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I went to a Catholic high school from September to mid January. Not a fan - of the people, teachers, or curriculum.

I singled out the Jesuits. They are unique.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:18:51 AM
I really wish I could go to an "elite" top tier private school. The rural public high school I go to isn't too great. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard people in public schools are usually there because they're forced to; people in private schools are there because they want to learn.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:41:15 AM
Went to public high school for 4 years then UM for 4 years then moved to Coastal which is public, so ive been back and forth on both sides

Im okay with private schools and people using means to jump from public to private because the public system is sh**, and private schools are the lifeboats for those who know how to get to them.... As long as the private schools are secular though is where i draw the line. I care little for uber-catholic private schools that do more brain washing than brain expanding
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:53:58 AM
At 2/9/2016 3:41:15 AM, imabench wrote:
Went to public high school for 4 years then UM for 4 years then moved to Coastal which is public, so ive been back and forth on both sides

Im okay with private schools and people using means to jump from public to private because the public system is sh**, and private schools are the lifeboats for those who know how to get to them.... As long as the private schools are secular though is where i draw the line. I care little for uber-catholic private schools that do more brain washing than brain expanding

Yea, that is almost exactly where I am going. Lifeboat is a good description, but it sucks that I can hold the idea that the public schools SHOULD work, while know that they don't.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:28:06 AM
I think that if education with an atheist bias is the default of public schools then the Federal Government should also fund private schools with a theistic bias. In fact, the idea of one being considered "public school" and not the other should be done away with.
I do think, however, that the whole "religious people will flock to our schools regardless of the quality of the education" thing needs to be dealt with. Religious schools should provide an equal quality education if they want to stay open (with stuff like Creationism being part of the curriculum not being considered indicative of lower quality).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:39:26 AM
Basically the phrase "separation of church and state" is flawed because it suggests religion may have no influence while active atheism is given special treatment. As such this phrase should be replaced by the more appropriate phrase "full government neutrality".
Whenever religious influence in government goes beyond acceptable limits, then the doctrine of full government neutrality will naturally push it back into these limits. Likewise, whenever anti-religious ideas gain too much influence in government the doctrine of full government neutrality will push that back into its proper limits.
Government-funded religious schools should be a thing precisely because the government also funds schools with an anti-religious bias in the curriculum. To not have one, we should not have the other either. Otherwise we should have both.

The DDO Blog:

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:39:27 AM
From 3rd-8th grades (with a brief pause in 5th grade), I went to a Catholic school. I hated everything about it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:40:19 AM
At 2/9/2016 3:18:51 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
I really wish I could go to an "elite" top tier private school. The rural public high school I go to isn't too great. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard people in public schools are usually there because they're forced to; people in private schools are there because they want to learn.

Untrue. I learned a ton at public school, and I wanted to be there and nowhere else.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:42:13 AM
At 2/9/2016 4:28:06 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I think that if education with an atheist bias is the default of public schools then the Federal Government should also fund private schools with a theistic bias. In fact, the idea of one being considered "public school" and not the other should be done away with.
I do think, however, that the whole "religious people will flock to our schools regardless of the quality of the education" thing needs to be dealt with. Religious schools should provide an equal quality education if they want to stay open (with stuff like Creationism being part of the curriculum not being considered indicative of lower quality).

Secular does not equal atheist.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 4:46:45 AM
At 2/9/2016 4:42:13 AM, TBR wrote:

This is one of the most frustrating things about contemporary atheism: the complete refusal of 100% of its adherents (that I've ever heard of) to recognize whenever it's crossing the line of full government neutrality. At least a large number of Christians (such as myself) recognize what's unconstitutional about prohibiting gay marriage and other stuff.

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 5:56:41 AM
I think every kid should go to pruvate school. Give them all vouchers and let them go where they feel like.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 6:04:13 AM
At 2/9/2016 2:47:41 AM, TBR wrote:
Rewatching a west-wing, I think I might actually have to admit I am a complete hypocrite.

Now, my position on public school is, if you can get into a private school, go to the private school. The problem is, I am admittedly hypocritical in denying the opportunity to do that by using voucher. Further, aside from some top-flight Catholic (Jesuit) schools, I think Christian schools are a scam deserving no tax money redirected to them in any way.

So, yea, I went 2-12 in a private schools. Most of my collegiate career was at a private college. I say without hesitation that good schools are private and secular. Problem is, I want public schools to be open to the all. I want school to be not religion with a couple textbooks added for kicks. I want all schools to be funded so well that you would not have to consider the private school option. But, while that is not happening, I say, go to a private school - a secular one at that, and no money from the government to do so.

- In places I had been to, private schools were for kids who aren't successful or competitive in public schools.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:04:18 PM
At 2/9/2016 6:04:13 AM, Yassine wrote:

- In places I had been to, private schools were for kids who aren't successful or competitive in public schools.

^What Yassine said.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:31:52 PM
My public school education was one of the greatest and most comprehensive educations out there. My school has ranked among the top 100 public schools. Though it certainly helps, going to the second richest county in my state.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:34:53 PM
At 2/9/2016 4:46:45 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

This is one of the most frustrating things about contemporary atheism: the complete refusal of 100% of its adherents (that I've ever heard of) to recognize whenever it's crossing the line of full government neutrality. At least a large number of Christians (such as myself) recognize what's unconstitutional about prohibiting gay marriage and other stuff.

So if you recognize the unconstitutionality of banning gay marriage, what's the problem? Are you saying schools teaching evolution in biology rather than creationism is anti-Christian? You can just take religious studies classes and hear about creationism. It's not science, so it doesn't make sense to teach it as one.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:03:40 PM
I want all schools to be funded so well that you would not have to consider the private school option.
I agree completely.
But, while that is not happening, I say, go to a private school - a secular one at that, and no money from the government to do so.
In Hong Kong, most religious schools also get government funding. They get to keep religious studies and prayers, but otherwise follow the same curriculum as other schools (so they aren't allowed not to teach evolution, etc.). I think the US could do something similar to that. :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:55:05 PM

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Unbelievable.Time
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 9:20:25 PM
Posted: 9 months ago

Does the same things happen to students who are in private colleges/universities too?
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2016 11:59:57 PM
At 2/11/2016 9:20:25 PM, Unbelievable.Time wrote:

Does the same things happen to students who are in private colleges/universities too?

- Pretty much yeah.
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 12:15:58 AM
At 2/11/2016 11:59:57 PM, Yassine wrote:
At 2/11/2016 9:20:25 PM, Unbelievable.Time wrote:

- Pretty much yeah.

Private schools for problem students is common in the us too. Some military schools etc.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 1:29:31 AM
At 2/12/2016 12:15:58 AM, TBR wrote:

Private schools for problem students is common in the us too. Some military schools etc.

- OK...
Current Debates:

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 1:45:43 AM

How can you tell people to go to a private, secular school but not give them money to do it? Most of the people that would have to go to a private school to get a good education don't have the money to do it.. lol. In places where the public schools are well funded and successful there is less of a need to go to private schools. I don't believe anyone should be given a voucher to go to a private school but if they are in a failing school and are in the top __% of their class would you agree to it?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 1:54:49 AM
At 2/12/2016 1:45:43 AM, Objectivity wrote:

How can you tell people to go to a private, secular school but not give them money to do it? Most of the people that would have to go to a private school to get a good education don't have the money to do it.. lol. In places where the public schools are well funded and successful there is less of a need to go to private schools. I don't believe anyone should be given a voucher to go to a private school but if they are in a failing school and are in the top __% of their class would you agree to it?

I am admitting the hypocrisy right up front. I don't live voucher, don't like religious schools, don't want them to get any money, like secular private schools, and admit it is nonsensical with my general position.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 1:57:58 AM

I've learned more in the past two weeks at my public high school than I did in 4+ months at a "better" Catholic school.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 1:59:50 AM
At 2/12/2016 1:54:49 AM, TBR wrote:

I am admitting the hypocrisy right up front. I don't live voucher, don't like religious schools, don't want them to get any money, like secular private schools, and admit it is nonsensical with my general position.

Fair enough.. although I think it's a little unfair that you are prioritizing your dislike of religion over educating people.. I mean if you are admitting it there isn't much else I can say, it bothers me more when teachers unions btch about vouchers because they know it will divert funding and students from the public school system, as it should if the private school is providing a better education for students.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 2:00:25 AM
At 2/12/2016 1:57:58 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I've learned more in the past two weeks at my public high school than I did in 4+ months at a "better" Catholic school.

I say again, unless it is a Jesuit school, the Christian based schools all suck
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 2:04:09 AM
At 2/12/2016 1:59:50 AM, Objectivity wrote:

Fair enough.. although I think it's a little unfair that you are prioritizing your dislike of religion over educating people.. I mean if you are admitting it there isn't much else I can say, it bothers me more when teachers unions btch about vouchers because they know it will divert funding and students from the public school system, as it should if the private school is providing a better education for students.

I am prioritising education.

This is the order of excellence in education.
1) Private secular schools.
2) Public schools
3) Jesuit schools
4) TV
5) Staring at a blank wall
6) Masterbating
7) All other Catholic schools
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 2:07:41 AM
At 2/12/2016 2:04:09 AM, TBR wrote:
At 2/12/2016 1:59:50 AM, Objectivity wrote:

I am prioritising education.

This is the order of excellence in education.
1) Private secular schools.
2) Public schools
3) Jesuit schools
4) TV
5) Staring at a blank wall
6) Masterbating
7) All other Catholic schools

I mean that might be your personal experience but I've seen some good catholic schools, and I know for a fact that people at Jesuit schools in my area get a way better education than any public school. Public schools are such a mixed bag that it really depends on how the area raises taxes and if it is through things like property taxes how well to do the area is.