Jump to topic:

Freedom Party Platform

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 3:15:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is a thread for the members of the Freedom Party to lay out their platform and for question to be asked concerning it. Please refrain from derailing this thread in any way.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 3:16:55 PM
Freedo FFS. We didn't need about 5 threads. One thread and the spokesperson for each party lays it out. Imbecile.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 3:19:52 PM
At 11/3/2010 3:16:55 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Freedo FFS. We didn't need about 5 threads. One thread and the spokesperson for each party lays it out. Imbecile.

This is more efficient. And so, what?--elect a spokesperson?--Just jump in and say you own the Party? Get real.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 3:38:15 PM
At 11/3/2010 3:19:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 11/3/2010 3:16:55 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

This is more efficient.

No, no it isn't

And so, what?--elect a spokesperson?--Just jump in and say you own the Party?

Or the party elects their spokesperson, like what, I dunno, the Freedom Partys doing?

Get real.

You get f*cking real.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 3:41:51 PM
At 11/3/2010 3:40:11 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I don't know how to thank you for being the representative of the Freedom Party. =)

I'm not, and I seriously doubt your ability to properly conduct this election.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 5:53:14 PM
I'm our Party's spokesperson, and, subsequently, its candidate for the presidency.

First of all, it's important to note that our platform will evolve as the site evolves. It's impossible for any party to predict the future of DDO, and, as such, we can only speculate as to what the relevant issues concerning. To this end, I welcome suggestions from other parties, and encourage discourse among the opposing factions (especially given the push for ideological heterogeneity given the recent rise in the number of libertarians on the site, foremost among which are the who's-who of anarchists).

As far as addressing some specific issues, there are some problems that I'd like to explicitly cover:

1. Improving the quality of discourse

There has been a surge of complaints in recent history concerning a decline in the quality of discussions, both on the forums and in debates (which have admittedly gotten far less... intellectual). While the Freedom Party isn't specifically dedicated to any particular policy regarding the improvement of discourse, I personally have a couple of ideas that might serve to improve the quality of discussion and debate, including sponsoring one or more tournaments or debates and discouraging posting which is detrimental or noncontributory to a thread (while at the same time discouraging a large number of threads which are themselves noncontributory). Note, of course, that we are not against "fun" threads--our Party merely wishes to encourage meaningful discourse rather than an overabundance of spam and troll threads (which many personalities on this site have agreed is an admirable goal).

2. Tackling trolls

A touchy subject, I'm sure. My administration will seek to identify and weed out trolls. I don't know if anyone remembers the 1280931723 troll debates that were at one point set up on the challenge page, or the similar number of spam threads set up which detracted from good discussion, but I do. It bothered me quite a lot, because it seemed to me that a lot of good contributors were turned off by the rise in that sort of behavior. We're going to do our best to get those debates removed (we're actually planning to commission a few members who will take and let expire such debates if we don't have sufficient powers) and those threads cut down. You might think that this is contrary to the purpose of a party celebrating freedom--even the freedom to do stupid things; however, this is quite untrue, and is a point which brings me to a third pillar of our platform.

3. Enforcing the Terms of Service

If you've ever clicked the "report" button, you'll notice that one of the categories is "Spam". It's quite against the Terms of Service to do such things (specifically, it's under Section 6, Subsection D of the Terms [http://www.debate.org...]. Just as libertarians enjoy a constitutionally-limited government, so too do we want an objective standard to appeal to. In this case, our "constitution" is the ToS, which represents the contractual agreement to which all users agreed by signing up. Naturally, we're not going to be hard-@sses about it. We won't try to ban you for saying sh*t, f*ck, d*mn, etc. At the same time, however, legitimate transgressions against the ToS will have to be dealt with on an objective, case-by-case basis. We'll even call in a random third party to mediate the dispute if you do not believe that my administration can be trusted, for whatever reason, to arbitrate impartially. And, no: Freedom Party members will not get special treatment, no matter how cool I think they are. We all signed the contract, and are all bound to follow its terms if we want to stay here. Legal objectivity is legal objectivity--period.

4. Fun

We wouldn't be here if we didn't like being here. To that end, we also discourage whining, b*tching, drama, interpersonal scandal, flame threads, etc. It ruins the mood of the site, gets a lot of people upset, and can leave a lot of lasting bitterness and hostility. So, if there are any problems between members, my administration's door is always open, and someone on my staff will always be ready to lend a mediating hand so that members don't have to waste their time digitally shouting at each other. Seriously, let's all chill the f*ck out. I know that I've had my problems (if you saw the "Best friend" thread I posted), and I've forced myself to get past them. We'll be alright.

On that note, of course: Panda--calm down. You're being a pretty awful representative right now, and I'd appreciate it if you'd let me do the talking, since you've made it clear that you aren't the spokesperson. :)

FREEDO--quit trying to be a smartass. ;)

With all of that said, I'm happy to take questions on general policy, application to specific issues, or essentially anything about the Freedom Party, what we stand for, etc. I look forward to election day, and I sincerely hope that you give my administration a chance.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:13:10 PM
At 11/4/2010 6:01:05 PM, OreEle wrote:
I must say, that was nicely put together Cody.

Thanks very much. I actually put real thought into this, though it seems the site saw fit to exclude a few words from my post. I guess I overlooked all of the weird freeze-delays the site had while I was typing.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:19:54 PM
When it comes to "enforsing the TOS" how do you plan on going about that. Would it be a moderating team? If so, how if the team decided?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:32:36 PM
At 11/4/2010 6:30:57 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I have nominated myself for the commission that expires silly debates.

Wait, so is the party going to attempt to "expire" silly debates (i.e. lower the number of them), or promote serious debates?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:38:32 PM
At 11/4/2010 6:19:54 PM, OreEle wrote:
When it comes to "enforsing the TOS" how do you plan on going about that. Would it be a moderating team? If so, how if the team decided?

It depends on what abilities are given to my administration. I've heard talk of "Mod powers" being given, but I'm not sure as to exactly what that means. Once I know the extent of the winner's abilities, I'll be sure to share the policy my advisers and I come up with.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:38:56 PM
At 11/4/2010 6:32:36 PM, OreEle wrote:

Wait, so is the party going to attempt to "expire" silly debates (i.e. lower the number of them), or promote serious debates?

Both. By "expire," he means accept the challenge, but not post a 1st round. The site treats that as if the challenge had expired with no one taking it, so that they don't clog up the challenge section or the front page.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:39:22 PM

Those aren't mutually exclusive propositions. We can try to take and expire troll debates while at the same time trying to promote--and perhaps sponsor--legitimate debates.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:39:45 PM
At 11/4/2010 6:38:56 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Both. By "expire," he means accept the challenge, but not post a 1st round. The site treats that as if the challenge had expired with no one taking it, so that they don't clog up the challenge section or the front page.

Correct.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 6:40:30 PM
At 11/4/2010 6:39:22 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Those aren't mutually exclusive propositions. We can try to take and expire troll debates while at the same time trying to promote--and perhaps sponsor--legitimate debates.

This.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 11:15:09 AM
How do you differentiate between a "for fun" debate, and a "spam" debate?

Do you have any ideas on making Debate.org more "new member" friendly?
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 11:27:12 AM
At 11/5/2010 11:15:09 AM, OreEle wrote:

Kind of hard to lay out specific criteria, but you can usually just tell. For example: http://www.debate.org... = fun debates. http://www.debate.org... = spam debates. There's also those spam debates you see with 1 sentence and misspellings in the title, or something like that.

As for making the site more "new member" friendly, I don't speak for the whole party, but I think it depends. For some dumbas­s troll, we shouldn't be friendly. For someone who's new and doesn't know what they're doing, but is willing to try to learn, I think offering constructive criticism and helpful tips is the best policy. tl;dr--be a di­ck to people that deserve it, don't to people who don't.

: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 11:36:16 AM
At 11/5/2010 11:27:12 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Kind of hard to lay out specific criteria, but you can usually just tell. For example: http://www.debate.org... = fun debates. http://www.debate.org... = spam debates. There's also those spam debates you see with 1 sentence and misspellings in the title, or something like that.

As for making the site more "new member" friendly, I don't speak for the whole party, but I think it depends. For some dumbas­s troll, we shouldn't be friendly. For someone who's new and doesn't know what they're doing, but is willing to try to learn, I think offering constructive criticism and helpful tips is the best policy. tl;dr--be a di­ck to people that deserve it, don't to people who don't.

I don't intend to put any ideas into people's heads, but is there any discussion about adding an "intro" forum, beyond just the misc. forum and debate.org forum?
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 11:57:56 AM
At 11/5/2010 11:36:16 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 11/5/2010 11:27:12 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:

I don't intend to put any ideas into people's heads, but is there any discussion about adding an "intro" forum, beyond just the misc. forum and debate.org forum?

I don't think a whole new forum is necessary. Maybe a sticky in the debate.org forum?

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:00:02 PM

There aren't clear-cut criteria, but there are general ways of differentiating. You could tell that a debate is spam, for example, by the opening post, by a user's forum history, a user's previous debates, how many debates that user currently has posted, etc.

If it was really that difficult to decide, I'd try to bring in a few impartial consultants--maybe send a PM to a few different members on the site--and discuss briefly. Of course, I'd make sure that the contents of the PM was posted on the forum for transparency reasons, if desired.

I think that turning this site back into a forum for intellectual discourse rather than petty squabbling, trolling/spamming, etc. will probably make DDO more attractive to new members.

At the same time, I personally do not value newbies qua newbies. That is to say: I'm not going to go out of my way to throw my arms open for new people. I prefer to encourage the kind of member that will actually contribute to the site, not just "whoever we can get".
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:03:19 PM

So much for Freedom...
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:04:16 PM
At 11/5/2010 12:00:02 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

There aren't clear-cut criteria, but there are general ways of differentiating. You could tell that a debate is spam, for example, by the opening post, by a user's forum history, a user's previous debates, how many debates that user currently has posted, etc.

If it was really that difficult to decide, I'd try to bring in a few impartial consultants--maybe send a PM to a few different members on the site--and discuss briefly. Of course, I'd make sure that the contents of the PM was posted on the forum for transparency reasons, if desired.

I think that turning this site back into a forum for intellectual discourse rather than petty squabbling, trolling/spamming, etc. will probably make DDO more attractive to new members.

At the same time, I personally do not value newbies qua newbies. That is to say: I'm not going to go out of my way to throw my arms open for new people. I prefer to encourage the kind of member that will actually contribute to the site, not just "whoever we can get".
What are you all talking about?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:08:41 PM
At 11/5/2010 12:04:16 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/5/2010 12:00:02 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

What are you all talking about?

Questions were asked concerning the platform. I was answering those questions.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:10:29 PM
At 11/5/2010 12:08:41 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I meant what is it with all the absurdities about removing such-and-such content? That is certainly "oppression" and authority to some people.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:15:17 PM
At 11/5/2010 12:10:29 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/5/2010 12:08:41 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I meant what is it with all the absurdities about removing such-and-such content? That is certainly "oppression" and authority to some people.

Actually, it's called enforcing the Terms of Service. It's a contract. People agreed to it by signing up. In libertarian philosophy, contracts are quite important.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:19:54 PM
At 11/5/2010 12:15:17 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Actually, it's called enforcing the Terms of Service. It's a contract. People agreed to it by signing up. In libertarian philosophy, contracts are quite important.
This is very nonsensical. What is the point with freedom if you can make whatever ToS you wish? And people have not agreed with the rules of the ToS.