Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Should the US adopt a parliamentary system?

augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 11:22:49 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Should the United States adopt a parliamentary system of government, the like of which we see in the UK, Canada, and other Commonwealth Realm nations?

Whilst I understand that it's not the American tradition, and people like to elect their Presidents and Governors, I think it's clear that the Westminster system is a more effective form of government.

Ultimately, this would be impossible to implement. It would require an entirely new Constitution and a set of new institutions, which no American would support. But, if the US could do it all over again, should the Framers have stuck with Westminster system?
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 4:14:25 AM
At 2/12/2016 11:22:49 AM, augcaesarustus wrote:
Should the United States adopt a parliamentary system of government, the like of which we see in the UK, Canada, and other Commonwealth Realm nations?

Whilst I understand that it's not the American tradition, and people like to elect their Presidents and Governors, I think it's clear that the Westminster system is a more effective form of government.

Ultimately, this would be impossible to implement. It would require an entirely new Constitution and a set of new institutions, which no American would support. But, if the US could do it all over again, should the Framers have stuck with Westminster system?

This can pretty much be boiled down to the Federalist vs Unitary governments, In which case it would be unwise for the US to adopt any form of Unitary government given its population size (something that a lot of people don't take into consideration when comparing US policy to European policy).
augcaesarustus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 6:44:46 AM
At 2/13/2016 4:14:25 AM, 58539672 wrote:
At 2/12/2016 11:22:49 AM, augcaesarustus wrote:

This can pretty much be boiled down to the Federalist vs Unitary governments, In which case it would be unwise for the US to adopt any form of Unitary government given its population size (something that a lot of people don't take into consideration when comparing US policy to European policy).

Parliamentary systems are fully compatible with Federal systems. Canada and Australia are two perfect examples. India is also a parliamentary system of government built around a Federalist system. However, you are correct in saying that the UK is a unitary state, however the central government has devolved powers to the respective nations.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 11:43:38 PM
No. Parliamentary systems are fundamentally unstable, prone to extremism, and leave the public's say out of the executive branch entirely.