Jump to topic:

President Trump's Foreign Policy

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2016 9:41:07 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
From the things Donald Trump has said, a fairly clear foreign policy can be made out.

When it comes to foreign policy Donald Trump is not an idealist. He would not have initiated the Arab Spring in the name of democracy. Despite what he says he *might've* invaded Iraq because of the WMDs but he would not have claimed to be liberating the Iraqis or that it was all worth it because now Iraq is democratic. He is an authoritarian and he is perfectly capable of respecting other authoritarian rulers. Likewise, he doesn't give a *expletive* if a big nation is acting unfairly towards a smaller nation as long as the U.S. isn't harmed in any way by this.
As a result Donald Trump wouldn't have put sanctions on Russia over Ukraine, he wouldn't have carried out Freedom of Navigation operations in the South China Sea, and he wouldn't try to encourage Taiwanese independence at the expense of relations with China. He would engage in "trade war" with China because he feels that China is engaging in unfair trade with the United States. But that'd be more or less his only reason for doing so.
All that President Trump would care about is the security and welfare of the United States. He would crack down on terrorists whenever they pose a threat to the United States or whenever there's a high likelihood that they'll engage in terror attacks here, but otherwise he'd leave them alone.
Trump has stated that he "makes deals". He would've heavily pressured Iran in such a way that they would've accepted a deal that was more favorable towards the United States, but he wouldn't have jumped right into a war with Iran.
Under a Trump Presidency the likelihood of war against Russia is actually *less* than it would be under Hillary Clinton. I honestly don't know how much Trump's approach to China would increase the odds of war but Hillary Clinton is an idealist (it's been suggested that she was largely responsible for the Arab Spring) and she has many times before denounced China for its treatment of women and its South China Sea activities. And she and Tsai Ing-Wen would extremely likely be two peas in a pod. As a result I can't say which one would be more likely to start a war with China.
His comments have suggested that he wouldn't jump into a war with North Korea either.

So insane as this may sound, Trump would actually be good at preserving world peace, especially in comparison to many of his GOP rivals and Hillary Clinton. But he'd continue and perhaps expand the ongoing struggle against terrorist groups like the ISIL and al-Qaeda and he would be likely to decrease American civil liberties in pursuit of security.
As an idealist I would disagree heavily with his hands-off approach to Eastern Europe, the South China Sea, and Taiwan.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 6:39:23 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
In a sense Trump will be the embodiment of isolationist sentiment at the worst possible time (on the eve of massive Russian and Chinese warmongering). He'd be that "he kept us out of the war" kind of guy.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:05:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 6:39:23 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In a sense Trump will be the embodiment of isolationist sentiment at the worst possible time (on the eve of massive Russian and Chinese warmongering). He'd be that "he kept us out of the war" kind of guy.

I don't understand what people's issues are with Trump. I haven't heard anything that I can verify.
Nerva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:22:58 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I certainly think that some political and economic repercussions should come to Russia and China because of their invading of sovereign territory, but I do not believe that we can sacrifice what little relation we have left with each nation just to defend smaller nations that are of less importance.
Don't get on my nerva.