Were you ever Pro-Iraq War?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 1:37:49 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 12:32:48 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
I'll admit I was for a very long time. Anybody else?

Yes. And I still would support it, but for the reality that I know that in this day and age, accomplishing the objectives that made that and other wars like it worth fighting is an impossibility.
Tsar of DDO
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 1:39:09 AM
At 2/13/2016 12:41:41 AM, Wylted wrote:
No, I'm not evil.

I know you don't want to admit it.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 1:58:48 AM

I to this day go back and forth on it just because of how sh*tty of a leader Saddam was. Attacked Kuwait, Israel, and Iran, wanted to attack Saudi Arabia.... Possibly more of a threat to middle east stability than ISIS was, certainly more capable of triggering a nuclear war than ISIS
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 2:01:55 AM
I wasn't old enough when the war began, but since I am now old enough to understand, I would say I would have never supported the war.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 2:27:56 AM
I was, although that was at a time when I cared more about getting drunk then I did about what was going on in the world, and was based on the information good ole W. was feeding us.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 2:44:35 AM
At 2/13/2016 2:07:36 AM, Varrack wrote:
Only an idiot would not be.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 3:12:13 AM
Yes, and I still can't really decide.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 3:30:51 AM

At first I was against it because it seemed like a waste of blood and treasure. Now I'm against it because Saddam could have much more easily been removed through a regime change than through the democratization of Iraq (and he had to be removed; he was a loose cannon). I'm fine with the war, it's the democracy that I don't like.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 4:06:49 AM
I was too young to care when the war started, but now Im fine with the war. It was the clean-up afterwards that I have some qualms with. It could have been handled significantly better. But hey, hindsight has 20/20 vision.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 4:46:35 AM
I've always opposed the Iraq War, from when I was old enough to understand what it is.

I now have come to the conclusion that the pretext for an invasion was illegitimate (most people would agree here), but we invaded and we can't reverse that. I think that we should have done a better job at rebuilding the Iraqi state, especially when it comes to civilian infrastructure and the Iraqi economy, the collapse of which fueled a Sunni insurgency. Leaving too early would have been a bad idea, so we needed a presence for at least half a decade (probably more). Is that pro-Iraq War? I'm not really sure.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:09:06 AM
At 2/13/2016 1:39:09 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 2/13/2016 12:41:41 AM, Wylted wrote:
No, I'm not evil.

I know you don't want to admit it.

After 9-11, I did see a recruiter, but that was for Bin Laden, not for Saddam. I guess that is the closest I've come tp supporting the Iraq war.
Sciguy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 5:15:26 AM
The Iraq war-just as the War on Terror is today- was a major waste of time and further destabilized the Middle-East.

Oil anyone? First to bring in the oil conspiracy.... that is true.
Sciguy, that one guy.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 12:40:00 PM

No I have always opposed it.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 1:48:27 AM
At 2/13/2016 1:58:48 AM, imabench wrote:

I to this day go back and forth on it just because of how sh*tty of a leader Saddam was. Attacked Kuwait, Israel, and Iran, wanted to attack Saudi Arabia...

- Much less sh*tty than the US though.

Possibly more of a threat to middle east stability than ISIS was,

- Less so than the threat of the US to the Middle East.

certainly more capable of triggering a nuclear war than ISIS

- Much less so than the US & Russian though. You should be thinking of being Pro-US War, makes more sense.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 1:50:26 AM
At 2/14/2016 1:48:27 AM, Yassine wrote:

I to this day go back and forth on it just because of how sh*tty of a leader Saddam was. Attacked Kuwait, Israel, and Iran, wanted to attack Saudi Arabia...

- Much less so than the US & Russian though. You should be thinking of being Pro-US War, makes more sense.

I cant tell if youre just whining about something or actually want to have a conversation here
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 1:51:59 AM
No. I never did, never will. Anyone who still supports it needs to seriously reevaluate their logic.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 1:52:17 AM
At 2/14/2016 1:50:26 AM, imabench wrote:

I cant tell if youre just whining about something or actually want to have a conversation here

- Just thought you might want to support a war on the US, given your reasons for supporting the one on Iraq.
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:00:15 AM
At 2/13/2016 3:30:51 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

At first I was against it because it seemed like a waste of blood and treasure. Now I'm against it because Saddam could have much more easily been removed through a regime change than through the democratization of Iraq (and he had to be removed; he was a loose cannon). I'm fine with the war,

- Why?

it's the democracy that I don't like.

- Democracy in a 50/50 Sunni/Shi'a nation is the worst idea ever.
Current Debates:

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:01:15 AM
At 2/14/2016 1:52:17 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 2/14/2016 1:50:26 AM, imabench wrote:

- Just thought you might want to support a war on the US, given your reasons for supporting the one on Iraq.

If you want me to compare the differences between Saddam and the US, then ask nicely and do so in a way that doesnt make you look like an idiot

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:03:08 AM
At 2/14/2016 2:01:15 AM, imabench wrote:

If you want me to compare the differences between Saddam and the US, then ask nicely and do so in a way that doesn't make you look like an idiot

- Not interested.
Current Debates:

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:04:34 AM
At 2/14/2016 2:03:08 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 2/14/2016 2:01:15 AM, imabench wrote:

If you want me to compare the differences between Saddam and the US, then ask nicely and do so in a way that doesn't make you look like an idiot

- Not interested.

I didnt think so

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:04:34 AM
At 2/14/2016 2:00:15 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 2/13/2016 3:30:51 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

At first I was against it because it seemed like a waste of blood and treasure. Now I'm against it because Saddam could have much more easily been removed through a regime change than through the democratization of Iraq (and he had to be removed; he was a loose cannon). I'm fine with the war,

- Why?

Because Saddam was no longer serving our interests. There's no point in having a pet dictator if he's going around attacking people whom you don't want him to attack. Personally, I think that an assassination or coup would have been better, but I'm not terribly opposed to the war. The domestic political situation certainly was conducive to one. The stupid part was the dismantling of the Ba'athist political establishment. What the actual fvck.

it's the democracy that I don't like.

- Democracy in a 50/50 Sunni/Shi'a nation is the worst idea ever.

Yep. Especially one caught between Shi'a and Sunni spheres of influence.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:05:15 AM
It's hard to be opposed to a war at the age of 2. But from the first time I made judgement on it I was against it.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:10:57 AM
At 2/14/2016 2:04:34 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Because Saddam was no longer serving our interests. There's no point in having a pet dictator if he's going around attacking people whom you don't want him to attack.

- I can understand it from that perspective.

Personally, I think that an assassination or coup would have been better, but I'm not terribly opposed to the war. The domestic political situation certainly was conducive to one.

- I think in the long term, the war will backfire.

The stupid part was the dismantling of the Ba'athist political establishment. What the actual fvck.

- For the sake of Israel, not that stupid.

Yep. Especially one caught between Shi'a and Sunni spheres of influence.

- Indeed.
Current Debates:

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:34:26 AM

I was until the military was not allowed to annihilate the entire country. I can't support any war that isn't allowed to be won by total annihilation and unconditional surrender. what is the point?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:35:10 AM
At 2/14/2016 2:34:26 AM, sadolite wrote:

I was until the military was not allowed to annihilate the entire country. I can't support any war that isn't allowed to be won by total annihilation and unconditional surrender. what is the point?

Thankfully that will never happen.
Nerva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 3:18:33 AM
I was not involved in politics during the brunt of the war, and I didn't feel the anger that Americans felt once the Trade Centers fell.

If I had been an adult, I most likely would have been for it. I don't think I could have foresaw the trillions we wasted fighting a war that only ended in further destabilization.
Don't get on my nerva.