Jump to topic:

Goodbye Justice Scalia.

FortisAnimi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 12:06:23 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
My deepest prayers go to the family of Antonin Scalia today, and the same can be said for those of us in the nation who are mourning the passing of an exemplary Supreme Court Justice. Let us remember Scalia not for his opinions or political affiliation, but for his service to the nation.

Scalia was the son of a Sicilian immigrant and a first generation Italian American. Growing up he earned the nickname "Nino", for his grandfather after whom he was named. His father played a large role in his live, instilling upon him the values of conservatism, hard work, and discipline early on which he carried throughout life. Growing up in Queens, he earned all A"s and progressed in school with flying colors, which eventually earned him a spot at Georgetown where he graduated summa cum laude with a degree in History. Then he went on to study at Harvard Law school, where he met his wife of 48 years. The marriage resulted in nine children and twenty eight grandchildren.

As the longest serving Supreme Court Justice in history (29 years), his career involved many landmark cases which have greatly influenced constitutional law in modern times and moving forward. He was involved in many popular cases which had a big impact on America, such as Bush vs. Gore, Obergefell vs. Hodges (gay marriage, upon which he dissented), and Grutter vs. Bollinger (seeking diversity in law school admissions, upon which he dissented also). I sure don"t agree with many of his policies, but the opinions he wrote and the impacts he had on the court and American law was profound, and we will never forget.

Once again, I offer my condolences to those who were closest to Justice Scalia, and the prayers of the nation are going to you tonight.
U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 12:10:11 AM
Just saw this on the news... Very interesting. Obviously condolences to the family but to be brutally honest I don't know them and they're not going to read this.

Big question to me is how's this going to impact the Supreme Court.
FortisAnimi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 12:12:30 AM
At 2/14/2016 12:10:11 AM, U.n wrote:
Just saw this on the news... Very interesting. Obviously condolences to the family but to be brutally honest I don't know them and they're not going to read this.

Of course they will not read this, and neither will most of the other population in the nation. This will have a huge impact on the Supreme Court, as current cases with conservative majorities will now be tied, Obama will have to try and appoint a new justice before his term is over, and you will see the political impact tonight at the Republican Debate.
FortisAnimi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 12:12:54 AM
At 2/14/2016 12:12:30 AM, FortisAnimi wrote:

Of course they will not read this, and neither will most of the other population in the nation. This will have a huge impact on the Supreme Court, as current cases with conservative majorities will now be tied, Obama will have to try and appoint a new justice before his term is over, and you will see the political impact tonight at the Republican Debate.

most of the population*
U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 12:48:51 AM
At 2/14/2016 12:12:30 AM, FortisAnimi wrote:

It's sad though. I really question the competency of the individuals who, in theory, should be the best 7 judges in the country if they are making court decisions based on political agendas rather than unbiased judgements.