Intelligence test for voting?

Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:36:54 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
What do you think of these as voting requirements:

A). A thoroughly researched college level essay about why you want to vote for a particular person.

B). A high school level economics test that all voters have to pass.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:40:04 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:36:54 AM, Dark-one wrote:

A). A thoroughly researched college level essay about why you want to vote for a particular person.

I think that your proposal is morally wrong, and unconstitutional.
Tsar of DDO
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:41:47 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:40:04 AM, YYW wrote:

Why morally wrong? Why unconstitutional? I want you to be very, very specific.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:45:57 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:41:47 AM, Dark-one wrote:

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 and by association, the 15th amendment to the constitution.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:48:23 AM

What would be the purpose of imposing these requirements on voting? There would be substantial costs associated with implementing such a proposal. (e.g. grading all essays and tests)
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:50:31 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:48:23 AM, Death23 wrote:

What would be the purpose of imposing these requirements on voting? There would be substantial costs associated with implementing such a proposal. (e.g. grading all essays and tests)

To see if the voters are carefully thinking about who they vote for, and not just reading CNN and FOX news articles.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:54:44 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:45:57 AM, 58539672 wrote:

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 and by association, the 15th amendment to the constitution.

"right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

Does not violate the 15th.

It's also not a literacy test. A literacy test would be useless in this context.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:55:54 AM

Ah!! the costs....How did I forget? Very good point.

Scantron maybe? :P
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 4:58:19 AM
At 2/14/2016 4:55:54 AM, Dark-one wrote:

Perhaps the solution would be teaching critical thinking skills at an early age.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:09:08 AM

"right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

It's also not a literacy test. A literacy test would be useless in this context.

I said by association because the 15th amendment was what was used to justify the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (amendments have been expanded upon to cover wider topics than what was originally written in them. Your policy would particularly hurt the minority vote by the way).

And it is a Literacy Test. Your policy requires both High School and College level essays and exams respectively to vote, which is close as one could get to a literacy test without calling it a literacy test.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:10:26 AM

Well, if they're reading news articles, that's better than nothing I guess. Sometimes it doesn't take a lot of thinking to decide who to vote for though because of the party system. Someone who is liberal can just vote for the democratic party's favored candidate and someone who is conservative can vote for the republican party's favored candidate. People generally know what each party stands for for the most part.

My concern with this proposal is that it adopting it would disenfranchise significant segments of the population without good cause. People should be allowed to vote even if they can't write at the college level or do not understand high school level economics. Though, I would agree that people who are mentally incompetent shouldn't be allowed to vote. The majority of states have laws prohibiting those people from voting already.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:12:11 AM
At 2/14/2016 5:09:08 AM, 58539672 wrote:

I said by association because the 15th amendment was what was used to justify the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (amendments have been expanded upon to cover wider topics than what was originally written in them. Your policy would particularly hurt the minority vote by the way).

And it is a Literacy Test. Your policy requires both High School and College level essays and exams respectively to vote, which is close as one could get to a literacy test without calling it a literacy test.

Then critical thinking at an early age. I would like a voter populous that makes uncrackable arguments about why they want to vote for a guy.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:13:37 AM
At 2/14/2016 5:10:26 AM, Death23 wrote:

Well, if they're reading news articles, that's better than nothing I guess. Sometimes it doesn't take a lot of thinking to decide who to vote for though because of the party system. Someone who is liberal can just vote for the democratic party's favored candidate and someone who is conservative can vote for the republican party's favored candidate. People generally know what each party stands for for the most part.

My concern with this proposal is that it adopting it would disenfranchise significant segments of the population without good cause. People should be allowed to vote even if they can't write at the college level or do not understand high school level economics. Though, I would agree that people who are mentally incompetent shouldn't be allowed to vote. The majority of states have laws prohibiting those people from voting already.

If they don't understand high school level economics, then how do they know what the candidates are talking about in terms of the economy?
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:18:00 AM

I do agree that people shouldn't be barred from voting, but the idea would be to incentivize them to figure out how these systems really work at a basic level (economy, gov, geopolitics).
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:25:06 AM
At 2/14/2016 5:13:37 AM, Dark-one wrote:

If they don't understand high school level economics, then how do they know what the candidates are talking about in terms of the economy?

The voters do not necessarily need to know what the candidates are talking about in terms of the economy. A lot of the time people vote based on trust and loyalty. Who do the candidates stand for? Who's interests are going to be represented by this candidate? Will he stand up for someone like me or somebody else? It's these types of reasons that people vote I think.

With regards to the problem of uninformed voters, I agree that it's an issue. However, there are other ways to incentivize people to learn more about civics; It isn't necessary to prevent people from voting in order to solve this problem.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 6:22:31 AM
At 2/14/2016 5:25:06 AM, Death23 wrote:
At 2/14/2016 5:13:37 AM, Dark-one wrote:

The voters do not necessarily need to know what the candidates are talking about in terms of the economy. A lot of the time people vote based on trust and loyalty. Who do the candidates stand for? Who's interests are going to be represented by this candidate? Will he stand up for someone like me or somebody else? It's these types of reasons that people vote I think.

With regards to the problem of uninformed voters, I agree that it's an issue. However, there are other ways to incentivize people to learn more about civics; It isn't necessary to prevent people from voting in order to solve this problem.

Fair enough. I worry that people react too easily to what the media says about a candidate and what the candidate says at a given moment.

I know what I feel about the current candidates, but I don't know enough about the situation and systems they're talking about to make a truly informed vote.

I've carefully read Tumps policies, but for the reason mentioned above, I don't fully understand them.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 6:32:03 AM

Both of those are essentially literacy tests, with literacy being 'proficient knowledge of economics and the candidates stances', which the Constitution literally has outlawed via the 15th Amendment
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 6:58:42 AM
At 2/14/2016 6:32:03 AM, imabench wrote:

Both of those are essentially literacy tests, with literacy being 'proficient knowledge of economics and the candidates stances', which the Constitution literally has outlawed via the 15th Amendment

Good point.

Any suggestions on getting the American people to know exactly what they're talking about?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:10:37 AM
At 2/14/2016 6:58:42 AM, Dark-one wrote:

Good point.

Any suggestions on getting the American people to know exactly what they're talking about?

A requirement to vote in 3 midterm and/or primary elections before a person can vote in a main election might help..... Its not based on literacy or a poll tax of any sort so theres no constitutional issues, yet it will weed out the voters who only vote during presidential elections.... People who only vote when theres a presidential election usually aren't as knowledgable about politics as people who vote in lesser elections, so you'd be getting the better half of the electorate while the ignorant half doesnt qualify
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:14:06 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:10:37 AM, imabench wrote:

Good point.

A requirement to vote in 3 midterm and/or primary elections before a person can vote in a main election might help..... Its not based on literacy or a poll tax of any sort so theres no constitutional issues, yet it will weed out the voters who only vote during presidential elections.... People who only vote when theres a presidential election usually aren't as knowledgable about politics as people who vote in lesser elections, so you'd be getting the better half of the electorate while the ignorant half doesnt qualify

Interesting...I'm not sure though what the midterms and primary elections have to do with the knowledge base.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:18:57 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:14:06 AM, Dark-one wrote:

Interesting...I'm not sure though what the midterms and primary elections have to do with the knowledge base.

Greater activity/participation in the electoral process usually means a person is more motivated to vote and/or also more knowledgable of what is on the line when they go to vote. A guy who works on his own car 5 to 10 times a year likely knows more about the car and how it works than the guy who only goes to work on it once a year.

Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:21:21 AM
At 2/14/2016 7:18:57 AM, imabench wrote:
At 2/14/2016 7:14:06 AM, Dark-one wrote:

Greater activity/participation in the electoral process usually means a person is more motivated to vote and/or also more knowledgable of what is on the line when they go to vote. A guy who works on his own car 5 to 10 times a year likely knows more about the car and how it works than the guy who only goes to work on it once a year.

I don't know if that's good enough, but something tells me it'll have to be.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 10:24:09 AM

To be honest it would benefit me personally if such an idea was implemented. It would also be likely to improve the economic performance of a country as the people entitled to vote would only be those interested in politics and economics and skilled at writing essays. These people would generally be more intelligent then the general population and wealthier and likely to hold mainly right wing political and economic views. However it's discriminatory and undemocratic and strikes me as a step back in time. It would also lead to an uproar in anger and protest and destabilize any country that implemented such measures. It would also reduce voter turnout to probably less then 10% as few people would be motivated to put I'm the effort to vote even if they could pass the requirements due to the time and effort involved to do so.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 3:32:45 PM
Everyone takes an IQ test at some point. Just ban people aith loaer than 120 IQs and make voting mandatory for those above 120.

I also propose a sexyness rating of 1-10 on licenses. I'd be rated a ten and when some 5 hit on me, Incan ask for their ID, if it shows anything below an 8, I will be able to press charges on them for sexual harassment.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 4:05:50 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
It may actually be impossible to implement this without the gov overreaching, so this is probably a bad on second thought.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 6:21:12 PM

That would be unconstitutional, and morally wrong
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 6:47:41 PM
I don't think democracy works when the average voter is as stupid and ignorant as they are today, and that everything should be done to raise the average intelligence level of the population, but restricting voting rights in this way would probably end in disaster. It's also not clear that it would bring any immediate benefits: do voting patterns between the very intelligent and unintelligent sectors of the population differ by all that much? I doubt it. But yeah, the sort of society we can hope to achieve is severely limited by the fact that the average person is basically mentally retarded in the grand scheme of things.