Total Posts:86|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Animal Abuse leads to Violent Crime

Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:41:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

We should award animals rights anyways and they shouldn't be allowed to be abused.
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.
Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:48:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:41:10 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

We should award animals rights anyways and they shouldn't be allowed to be abused.

Have you read Singer's Animal Liberation? WHats your favorite argument for animal rights?
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:49:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:48:17 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:41:10 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

We should award animals rights anyways and they shouldn't be allowed to be abused.

Have you read Singer's Animal Liberation?
No and I have never heard of it

WHats your favorite argument for animal rights?

hmm that's a tough one, probably that they can feel pain and are intelligent too, or the "would you like it if it was done to you"? or the how about we put you through it?
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.

Are you familiar with Singer's argument from marginal cases. If that argument is true, all humans are not equal, and its more evil to kill one human rather than another, or animals have equal moral status to humans. And thus anything thats evil to do to a human is evil to do to an animal, such as slaughtering animals for human consumption
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.

Are you familiar with Singer's argument from marginal cases. If that argument is true, all humans are not equal, and its more evil to kill one human rather than another, or animals have equal moral status to humans. And thus anything thats evil to do to a human is evil to do to an animal, such as slaughtering animals for human consumption

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.
imabench
Posts: 21,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:14:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

I think this was the exact reasoning used by the government recently to upgrade animal abuse from a minor crime to a more major one with stiffer penalties
Twocupcakes: "How the f*ck can you respect Osama Bin Laden?!?!"
Stymie13: "Simple: he didn't lie to me"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 6:19:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

BREAKING NEWS: MILK IS A GATEWAY DRUG! 99% of people who use heroin at one time drank milk!

Even if it is true, it's a terrible reason to award animal 'rights'. Stopping a person from abusing an animal wouldn't stop them from wanting to abuse an animal, and the studies don't even begin to address that distinction (hell, they don't even establish causation). Animal rights also isn't just about presenting abuse; it's a farcical moral creed which would do severe damage to human economical and social systems. Animal abuse could be banned for other reasons (it's wasteful and has no redeeming qualities).
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it. Time in its deeps swims like a monstrous whale; and, like a whale, feeds on the littlest things -- small tunes and little unskilled songs of the olden, golden evenings -- and anon turneth whale-like to overthrow whole ships."
- Lord Dunsany -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 7:54:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The connection probably runs the other way. The kinds of people who would commit abuse against animals are the kinds of people who would be violent toward humans. Thus, animal abuse does not *lead to* violent crime, but rather is an *indication* of the sort of temperament that would lead someone to act violently toward other people. At least that's the most obvious explanation.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:01:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Although, it's quite likely that animal abuse would have a violence-inducing effect on people in and of itself. But the correlation between animal abuse and violence crime certainly cannot be wholly attributed to that.
Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:02:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 6:14:19 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

I think this was the exact reasoning used by the government recently to upgrade animal abuse from a minor crime to a more major one with stiffer penalties

It interested me because even if you conclude that humans' moral worth is greater than animals' (or even animals have no moral worth), you can still award animals rights by this logic in order to protect human suffering.
Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:08:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 6:19:46 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

BREAKING NEWS: MILK IS A GATEWAY DRUG! 99% of people who use heroin at one time drank milk!

Lmao

Even if it is true, it's a terrible reason to award animal 'rights'. Stopping a person from abusing an animal wouldn't stop them from wanting to abuse an animal and the studies don't even begin to address that distinction (hell, they don't even establish causation). Animal rights also isn't just about presenting abuse; it's a farcical moral creed which would do severe damage to human economical and social systems. Animal abuse could be banned for other reasons (it's wasteful and has no redeeming qualities).

https://www.youtube.com...
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.

Are you familiar with Singer's argument from marginal cases. If that argument is true, all humans are not equal, and its more evil to kill one human rather than another, or animals have equal moral status to humans. And thus anything thats evil to do to a human is evil to do to an animal, such as slaughtering animals for human consumption

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.

Are you familiar with Singer's argument from marginal cases. If that argument is true, all humans are not equal, and its more evil to kill one human rather than another, or animals have equal moral status to humans. And thus anything thats evil to do to a human is evil to do to an animal, such as slaughtering animals for human consumption

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.

Are you familiar with Singer's argument from marginal cases. If that argument is true, all humans are not equal, and its more evil to kill one human rather than another, or animals have equal moral status to humans. And thus anything thats evil to do to a human is evil to do to an animal, such as slaughtering animals for human consumption

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:23:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 7:54:40 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
The connection probably runs the other way. The kinds of people who would commit abuse against animals are the kinds of people who would be violent toward humans. Thus, animal abuse does not *lead to* violent crime, but rather is an *indication* of the sort of temperament that would lead someone to act violently toward other people. At least that's the most obvious explanation.

Makes sense
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:26:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

A nonsensical statement. The only way to 'suffer and feel pain just like humans do' is to BE human.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it. Time in its deeps swims like a monstrous whale; and, like a whale, feeds on the littlest things -- small tunes and little unskilled songs of the olden, golden evenings -- and anon turneth whale-like to overthrow whole ships."
- Lord Dunsany -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:28:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.

It's nice to know that you think that stroke victims should remain vegetative for the rest of their lives.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it. Time in its deeps swims like a monstrous whale; and, like a whale, feeds on the littlest things -- small tunes and little unskilled songs of the olden, golden evenings -- and anon turneth whale-like to overthrow whole ships."
- Lord Dunsany -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:30:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:26:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

A nonsensical statement. The only way to 'suffer and feel pain just like humans do' is to BE human.

*similar to humans do

The debate over whether animals feel pain/suffer is one-sided, there is equal chance that animals feel pain than every other human besides yourself does.
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:34:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:28:03 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.

It's nice to know that you think that stroke victims should remain vegetative for the rest of their lives.
Complete strawman
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:45:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:30:45 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:26:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

A nonsensical statement. The only way to 'suffer and feel pain just like humans do' is to BE human.

*similar to humans do

The debate over whether animals feel pain/suffer is one-sided, there is equal chance that animals feel pain than every other human besides yourself does.

It's an important distinction, and the rebuttal of a false equivalency. Pain/suffering is actually irrelevant. We don't award rights based on whether something feels pain, and if we did then we would have to give it to trees before we gave it clams.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it. Time in its deeps swims like a monstrous whale; and, like a whale, feeds on the littlest things -- small tunes and little unskilled songs of the olden, golden evenings -- and anon turneth whale-like to overthrow whole ships."
- Lord Dunsany -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:47:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:34:23 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:28:03 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.

It's nice to know that you think that stroke victims should remain vegetative for the rest of their lives.
Complete strawman

If you think that primates shouldn't be used for testing, then you oppose the research which lead to CI therapy, the most effective means of rehabilitating stroke victims. If people like you had had your way sixty years ago, my aunt would be in a vegetative state. That's the ugly human cost of your absurd idealism. Deny it all you want, but there it is.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it. Time in its deeps swims like a monstrous whale; and, like a whale, feeds on the littlest things -- small tunes and little unskilled songs of the olden, golden evenings -- and anon turneth whale-like to overthrow whole ships."
- Lord Dunsany -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:48:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:26:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

A nonsensical statement. The only way to 'suffer and feel pain just like humans do' is to BE human.

Monster. Non-humans are humans too! #equality
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 8:48:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:48:05 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:26:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

A nonsensical statement. The only way to 'suffer and feel pain just like humans do' is to BE human.

Monster. Non-humans are humans too! #equality

Lol. Animal rights in a nutshell.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it. Time in its deeps swims like a monstrous whale; and, like a whale, feeds on the littlest things -- small tunes and little unskilled songs of the olden, golden evenings -- and anon turneth whale-like to overthrow whole ships."
- Lord Dunsany -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 9:15:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.

Are you familiar with Singer's argument from marginal cases. If that argument is true, all humans are not equal, and its more evil to kill one human rather than another, or animals have equal moral status to humans. And thus anything thats evil to do to a human is evil to do to an animal, such as slaughtering animals for human consumption

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.

It's not a nice thing but in my view its necessary in some circumstances. There is no alternative strategy other than carrying out those tests on humans.
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 9:57:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 9:15:16 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:41:54 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:16:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
There is a large connection between animal abuse and violent crime. For example, of 36 convicted multiple murderers questioned in one study, 46% admitted committing acts of animal torture as adolescents [1]. 65% of those arrested for animal crimes have also been arrested for battery against another person. [2] Between 71% and 83% of women entering domestic violence shelters reported that their partners also abused or killed the family pet [3]. This concept is demonstrated beautifully by William Hogarth"s Four Stages of Cruelty [4].

Is this a good reason to award animal"s rights? Thoughts?

[1] http://okeyspromise.com...
[2] http://judiciary.house.gov...
[3] http://animalstudiesrepository.org...
[4] http://www.tate.org.uk...

Agree people who abuse animals are more likely to abuse people and vise versa. I agree inflicting undue pain and suffering on animals is wrong and should be illegal. However i strongly support the use of animals for testing purposes and the legality of slaughtering animals for human consumption.

Are you familiar with Singer's argument from marginal cases. If that argument is true, all humans are not equal, and its more evil to kill one human rather than another, or animals have equal moral status to humans. And thus anything thats evil to do to a human is evil to do to an animal, such as slaughtering animals for human consumption

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.

It's not a nice thing but in my view its necessary in some circumstances. There is no alternative strategy other than carrying out those tests on humans.

Yes human volunteers should always be welcome
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 10:00:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:47:22 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:34:23 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:28:03 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.

It's nice to know that you think that stroke victims should remain vegetative for the rest of their lives.
Complete strawman

If you think that primates shouldn't be used for testing, then you oppose the research which lead to CI therapy, the most effective means of rehabilitating stroke victims. If people like you had had your way sixty years ago, my aunt would be in a vegetative state. That's the ugly human cost of your absurd idealism. Deny it all you want, but there it is.

Why does it have to be primates, what is so special about humans?
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
mc9
Posts: 1,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 10:04:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:45:14 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:30:45 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:26:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:12:31 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 6:09:58 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 5:51:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Im not actually familiar with it. Never heard of it actually, explain the basics if you like. I don't see from what you said above anything except in your opinion animals should be given equal rights to humans and the judicial and legal system should reflect that?

I disagree on the basis that I value human life more purely on the fact it is more intelligent. An animal does not suffer at all during the slaughter process. It feels stressed obviously to some degree from being moved around in unfamiliar settings but it does not understand death or know it is about to be killed, unlike a human.

Animals do suffer and feel pain just like humans do.

A nonsensical statement. The only way to 'suffer and feel pain just like humans do' is to BE human.

*similar to humans do

The debate over whether animals feel pain/suffer is one-sided, there is equal chance that animals feel pain than every other human besides yourself does.

It's an important distinction, and the rebuttal of a false equivalency. Pain/suffering is actually irrelevant. We don't award rights based on whether something feels pain, and if we did then we would have to give it to trees before we gave it clams.

You are straw manning the other side, trees don't feel pain, you know that you are straw manning.
I love eating animals that are vegetarian - Quadrunner
Hayd
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 10:29:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/15/2016 8:28:03 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:17:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 2/15/2016 8:14:15 PM, beng100 wrote:
Agree. Hence I believe intentionally abusing an animal should be a criminal offence.

Sorry I thought you were saying they weren't

I am on th fence about animal testing for disease but I am strongly against it for cosmetics and I believe there should be no primate testing.

It's nice to know that you think that stroke victims should remain vegetative for the rest of their lives.

Nice to know that you believe mice should experience severe nausea, muscle paralysis, as they slowly suffocate to death over the course of 3 to 4 days while humans in a vegetative state experience no pain whatsoever, even when we've already mapped the human genome.