Jump to topic:

Fail-safe to rid of inefficient govs?

Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2016 11:27:16 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
In the business world there's a very simple mechanism to get rid of companies that don't serve it's customers properly (assuming there's competition)-- it's called not making a profit.

It's why capitalism has flourished so well compared to systems like communism.

The profit for a country could be considered high export, high GDP, low gene coefficient (if you know what I mean), high per capita, etc.

Could a similar system be implemented with government officials that doesn't require expecting all the voters to know what they're talking about? One that doesn't threaten our liberties?
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 12:49:39 AM
At 2/15/2016 11:27:16 PM, Dark-one wrote:
In the business world there's a very simple mechanism to get rid of companies that don't serve it's customers properly (assuming there's competition)-- it's called not making a profit.

The profit for a country could be considered high export, high GDP, low gene coefficient (if you know what I mean), high per capita, etc.

Could a similar system be implemented with government officials that doesn't require expecting all the voters to know what they're talking about? One that doesn't threaten our liberties?

So your suggesting a government be ejected from office for poor performance managing the economy?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 12:53:21 AM
At 2/17/2016 12:49:39 AM, beng100 wrote:

So your suggesting a government be ejected from office for poor performance managing the economy?

Is that what this post means? I couldn't tell.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:07:51 AM

Something along those lines.
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:19:15 AM

It is called voting in better representatives.

Government Program Efficacy:
Two years to achieve intended goal
Disbanded by popular vote

Honestly the Federal Government shouldn't be doing a whole lot. The states were designed to run experiments, the repercussions are less severe. One day we will figure it out.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:22:55 AM
At 2/17/2016 1:07:51 AM, Dark-one wrote:

Judging a government by a business standard is a mistake; the two do not share the same primary goal.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:32:26 AM
At 2/17/2016 1:22:55 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Judging a government by a business standard is a mistake; the two do not share the same primary goal.

Business standard= know what you're best at, get rid of everything that doesn't contribute towards it.
Companies that have survived competition cycles live by this.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:33:10 AM
At 2/17/2016 1:32:26 AM, Dark-one wrote:

Business standard= know what you're best at, get rid of everything that doesn't contribute towards it.

Irrelevant to what I said.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:38:40 AM
At 2/17/2016 1:33:10 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Yes, this is true, business goes for the money.
However, you can consider an increase and decrease in certain things "profit" for the state.
For example, gaining geopolitical dominance somewhere in the world could be considered profit for the country.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:38:40 AM

However, you can consider an increase and decrease in certain things "profit" for the state.
For example, gaining geopolitical dominance somewhere in the world could be considered profit for the country.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:38:57 AM

I can see some logic in that. If a government is proving inept at managing the economy then it should be forced to stand down with fresh elections declared.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:40:01 AM
At 2/17/2016 1:38:40 AM, Dark-one wrote:

By some people, yes. But that's not clear-cut, the way it is in a business. There is no objective measurement.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:41:36 AM
At 2/17/2016 12:53:21 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Is that what this post means? I couldn't tell.

Yes I think so.