Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

What country threatens world peace the most?

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 3:59:09 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I'm only counting actual countries here officially recognized by the international community, excluding areas and territories controlled by unrecognized militia or terrorists.

In my view the most likely threat to world peace comes from north Korea due to the fact it is openly developing and testing nuclear weapons and long range missiles and often threatens war and nuclear attack on other nations. It is also controlled by an unstable communist monarchy regime and is technically still at war with south Korea. Little is known about what goes on in north Korea and it has few if any international allies.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 4:41:19 PM
A tie between Russia and the US. The rivalry between the two countries has almost led us to WW3 on multiple occasions since 1945.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 5:36:45 PM
At 2/16/2016 4:41:19 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
A tie between Russia and the US. The rivalry between the two countries has almost led us to WW3 on multiple occasions since 1945.

This is a pretty non biased guide.

https://en.wikipedia.org...
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 6:10:32 PM

Complete world destruction I agree is most likely to happen due to a nuclear war between these two countries. However I think it's still highly unlikely due to both sides knowing the likely result- they will both lose from a war. The environment would also be destroyed and cause mass starvation due to nuclear winter and global cooling.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 4:43:58 AM
At 2/16/2016 3:59:09 PM, beng100 wrote:
I'm only counting actual countries here officially recognized by the international community, excluding areas and territories controlled by unrecognized militia or terrorists.

In my view the most likely threat to world peace comes from north Korea due to the fact it is openly developing and testing nuclear weapons and long range missiles and often threatens war and nuclear attack on other nations. It is also controlled by an unstable communist monarchy regime and is technically still at war with south Korea. Little is known about what goes on in north Korea and it has few if any international allies.

- Factually & incontestably, the US.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 4:47:49 AM

I wouldnt even consider it a tie since the US has been far more aggressive over the past 60 years since WW2. Russia in the past invaded Afghanistan, Georgia, and Ukraine, while the US has invaded the Korean peninsula, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, technically Kuwait, and also are bombing Pakistan, Syria, parts of Iraq once again, and also Libya.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 4:51:42 AM
At 2/17/2016 4:47:49 AM, imabench wrote:

I wouldnt even consider it a tie since the US has been far more aggressive over the past 60 years since WW2. Russia in the past invaded Afghanistan, Georgia, and Ukraine, while the US has invaded the Korean peninsula, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, technically Kuwait, and also are bombing Pakistan, Syria, parts of Iraq once again, and also Libya.

True. But much of these aggressions (Korea ,Vietnam and Ukraine for example) were the result of the rivalry with Russia.

Agressions made during the War on Terror is probably the one thing that made the US objectively more aggressive.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 5:09:34 AM

I'm not a big fan of how you phrase the question because the world is never really at peace in the first place. Who threatened "world peace" in, say, 1905? I sure don't have a ready answer to that question even with 20/20 hindsight. However, hindsight certainly shows us that Nazi Germany was a true threat to world peace in the 30's, but here's the kicker-- nobody knew it at the time!

During the Cold War, both the US and USSR were acknowledged threats to world peace. I don't think anybody really debated over any countries being a major threat besides those two. In 1983, we came closest to a nuclear strike from the USSR because the US was training its entire military might as if an invasion of the USSR was being planned. Declassified documents paint a very disturbing picture of that high stakes scenario.

Today? We are back to "Who knows? Anyone? No one?" IMO...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 5:30:50 AM
At 2/17/2016 4:51:42 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 2/17/2016 4:47:49 AM, imabench wrote:

True. But much of these aggressions (Korea ,Vietnam and Ukraine for example) were the result of the rivalry with Russia.

Agressions made during the War on Terror is probably the one thing that made the US objectively more aggressive.

^ those latter ones wouldnt count as trying to counter Russia either, which only further implicates the US
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 11:20:03 AM
At 2/17/2016 4:43:58 AM, Yassine wrote:

- Factually & incontestably, the US.

Say in a hypothetical situation the USA disappeared. Do you think that would improve international security and safety?

I agree it makes by far the most military interventions but in my view it helps prevent other countries engaging in wars or territorial conquest.

If the USA disappeared you can imagine Russia retaking areas of the old Soviet bloc, north Korea invading south Korea, Iran and Israel engaging in a war, China invading Taiwan, China taking control of the entire south China sea and many other minor events around the world. I also believe the USA disappearing would result in an increase in dictatorship and a reduction in democracy.

Yes it has many flaws but the USA does benefit world security on the whole I think. Would you not be concerned about the Russian threat to Europe?
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 8:36:07 PM
I'd say the US. Unlike nearly every other country on the planet, we have the capabilities and willingness to wage a war anywhere on anyone.

Though I would also argue that the US is the greatest protector of world peace as well. We have established a long list of allies that makes any direct confrontation between major world powers near impossible. Its kind of like an imperialistic peace, were we kill anyone who threatens the status quo.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:03:24 AM
At 2/17/2016 11:20:03 AM, beng100 wrote:

Say in a hypothetical situation the USA disappeared. Do you think that would improve international security and safety?

- In principal, yes. The interventionist imperialist colonialist expansionist culture would be less prevalent then.

I agree it makes by far the most military interventions but in my view it helps prevent other countries engaging in wars or territorial conquest.

- Non-sequitur. I wage wars, so others fear me, so they won't wage wars!

If the USA disappeared you can imagine Russia retaking areas of the old Soviet bloc,

- Doubtful & against their interests. Communism is dead.

north Korea invading south Korea,

- Possible. But, then again, without the US, SK with all its resources would've achieved greater military might than NK, which will deter it from attacking. Not to mention, uniting the two nations is the best overdue outcome in the long term.

Iran and Israel engaging in a war,

- More like, the whole Middle East against the Israeli occupation. Seems like a legitimate course of action hindered by the presence of the US.

China invading Taiwan,

- Doesn't need to. Much quicker & effective solutions than war are possible.

China taking control of the entire south China sea and many other minor events around the world.

- Historically, China (& India) didn't prove to be the imperialist expansionist type of civilisation, unlike the West. No reason to believe this will change now.

I also believe the USA disappearing would result in an increase in dictatorship and a reduction in democracy.

- Surely, that's false. Most dictatorships in the world are backed by the US.

Yes it has many flaws but the USA does benefit world security on the whole I think.

- What world is that?! What security?! The only point you made here is that, if the US didn't wage wars, others may! None of what you say makes the US any less a threat to world security.

Would you not be concerned about the Russian threat to Europe?

- Why not the European threat to Russia. Currently, that's more viable.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 9:33:01 AM
At 2/18/2016 3:03:24 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 2/17/2016 11:20:03 AM, beng100 wrote:

- In principal, yes. The interventionist imperialist colonialist expansionist culture would be less prevalent then.

- Non-sequitur. I wage wars, so others fear me, so they won't wage wars!

I see your point yes. Personally though I see a world controlled by Russia and China as more dangerous. I think Russia would take control of the Baltic states, Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova if the usa hypothetically disappeared. I think China would invade Taiwan. I view that as a very negative thing. Taiwan is a democracy and China is a communist dictatorship.

If the USA disappeared you can imagine Russia retaking areas of the old Soviet bloc,

- Doubtful & against their interests. Communism is dead.

north Korea invading south Korea,

- Possible. But, then again, without the US, SK with all its resources would've achieved greater military might than NK, which will deter it from attacking. Not to mention, uniting the two nations is the best overdue outcome in the long term.

I'm theorising a sudden USA disappearance. It would expect north Korea to instantly attack south Korea. Yes unification is needed but under a democratic system not a communist monarchy system. Its also possible north Korea may attack other regional enemies like Japan.

Iran and Israel engaging in a war,

- More like, the whole Middle East against the Israeli occupation. Seems like a legitimate course of action hindered by the presence of the US.

You think all countries would get involved? It would be a bloody war if your prediction was true as despite the Israeli military supremacy they would be vastly outnumbered and a nasty war would ensue. I also believe Israel has a significant nuclear weapons stockpile. Do you think this war would really be helpful to the middle east? It would also destroy europe- middle east relations.

China invading Taiwan,

- Doesn't need to. Much quicker & effective solutions than war are possible.

What is that then? Do you support Chinese occupation of Taiwan?

China taking control of the entire south China sea and many other minor events around the world.

- Historically, China (& India) didn't prove to be the imperialist expansionist type of civilisation, unlike the West. No reason to believe this will change now.

Hmmmm maybe so but China is actively building islands in the south China sea to stake territorial claims and build military bases. India and Pakistan are two nuclear armed nation's with a territorial dispute. Maybe if the USA disappeared they may think they have a free hand to settle it? Unlikely I know but needs considering.

I also believe the USA disappearing would result in an increase in dictatorship and a reduction in democracy.

- Surely, that's false. Most dictatorships in the world are backed by the US.

It tolerates many but supports few. I'm sure you will agree it prefers democracy?

Yes it has many flaws but the USA does benefit world security on the whole I think.

- What world is that?! What security?! The only point you made here is that, if the US didn't wage wars, others may! None of what you say makes the US any less a threat to world security.

I agree it threatens world security in some situations but I believe on balance more conflict would happen if it disappeared.

Would you not be concerned about the Russian threat to Europe?

- Why not the European threat to Russia. Currently, that's more viable.

Really? You think Europe would respond to the USA disappearing by threatening Russia? How would it do so? Russia would destroy Europe in a war. I would certainly hope if that happened my country was not involved! More realistically Russia can help itself to territory around the world wherever it wants. Apart from Chinese territory and territory of other nuclear armed states. The world would react to the the USA disappearing by each country starting a nuclear arms programme, rapidly increasing stockpiles to ensure national security. It would be an unstable world.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 11:20:56 PM
It's a toss between N. Korea who's leader says he has nukes, created the color green, and wants to use nukes just for giggles, and Iran, who's leader wants to usher in the coming of the 12th Imom, Mahdi(Muslim Messiah), and thinks he can usher in his return by causing chaos and nuking Israel.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 11:42:45 AM
At 2/18/2016 11:20:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
It's a toss between N. Korea who's leader says he has nukes, created the color green, and wants to use nukes just for giggles, and Iran, who's leader wants to usher in the coming of the 12th Imom, Mahdi(Muslim Messiah), and thinks he can usher in his return by causing chaos and nuking Israel.

I think Iran are at least giving up their nuclear weapons programme. They have also resumed some kind of dialogue with the west. Yes it's a dangerous country but north Korea is worse I think. It actively threatens terrorist attacks, invasions and nuclear attacks on south Korea and threatened the USA with nuclear attack in the past.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 11:44:49 AM
North Korea isn't remotely dangerous to anyone except possibly South Korea. They're a complete joke. Even if they had and launched a successful nuke, it would fail 100 feet in the air and fall back on them. The fact that anyone takes North Korea seriously astounds me.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 2:40:35 PM
At 2/20/2016 11:44:49 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
North Korea isn't remotely dangerous to anyone except possibly South Korea. They're a complete joke. Even if they had and launched a successful nuke, it would fail 100 feet in the air and fall back on them. The fact that anyone takes North Korea seriously astounds me.

I agree they are poorly equipped in terms of high tech weaponry but they have a huge army and importantly the desire to gain control of south Korea. I agree other than south Korea and possibly Japan they don't threaten other nations. However the chances of the north carrying out hostile acts of aggression against the south are significant enough to cause major concern. Also if not stopped in 10 years time maybe north Korea will improve its nuclear capabilities causing a greater threat to the world. That is certainly the intention of the leadership.