Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:09:13 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/19/2016 5:05:27 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
http://imgur.com...

He's like Anne Coulter's Sith apprentice.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:12:29 AM
The Pope said Trump was not a Christian, because Christians don't build walls. Trumps reply Vatican city is 100% surrounded by walls.

BTW, Pope Francis, Bernie is the one who is not a Christian, get your facts straight.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:15:37 AM
At 2/19/2016 5:12:29 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
The Pope said Trump was not a Christian, because Christians don't build walls. Trumps reply Vatican city is 100% surrounded by walls.

BTW, Pope Francis, Bernie is the one who is not a Christian, get your facts straight.

Lol, I saw that. They're not just any walls either, but like the most exclusive we-don't-want-you-peasant-in-here walls ever.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:24:04 AM
Making the internet great again.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:35:46 AM
To be fair to the Pope, it's not like he had much choice in the matter. I'm sure the walls have been there for centuries. If it was up to him, he might very well have decided against putting them up. In any case, it's different when we're talking about arguably the most important religious figure alive, who obviously needs to be protected from assassins and such.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 1:22:49 PM
At 2/19/2016 5:35:46 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
To be fair to the Pope, it's not like he had much choice in the matter. I'm sure the walls have been there for centuries. If it was up to him, he might very well have decided against putting them up. In any case, it's different when we're talking about arguably the most important religious figure alive, who obviously needs to be protected from assassins and such.

That's the point. It's ok to protect the elites, but screw the riffraff.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:52:10 PM
At 2/19/2016 1:22:49 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Well, part of the reason that elites like the pope receive greater protection than the average person is that they are bigger targets. Plus their death would be more significant in geopolitical terms.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:56:09 PM

Are you sure that's him? I thought his twitter account was REALDonaldTrump or something like that.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:19:44 PM

No. That is not what the pope said. He said it was not christian, not that Trump was not a christian.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:33:35 PM
At 2/19/2016 5:56:09 PM, 000ike wrote:

Are you sure that's him? I thought his twitter account was REALDonaldTrump or something like that.

Crap I think you're right. Who bought the domain then?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:36:44 PM
At 2/19/2016 6:19:44 PM, TBR wrote:

No. That is not what the pope said. He said it was not christian, not that Trump was not a christian.

Actually, the pope's words were, "A person who only thinks about building walls... is not Christian." He indeed directly suggested that Trump is not a Christian (pending of course his benefit of the doubt). . . that's what his statement plainly conveys and how everyone has understood it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:45:42 PM
At 2/19/2016 6:36:44 PM, 000ike wrote:

Actually, the pope's words were, "A person who only thinks about building walls... is not Christian." He indeed directly suggested that Trump is not a Christian (pending of course his benefit of the doubt). . . that's what his statement plainly conveys and how everyone has understood it.

You have added the "A christian" he said "not christian". The actions, not the man.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:48:53 PM

They should also allow anyone to be a citizen of Vatican City, not just people that work for the Holy See.

Vatican City has no bridges, only walls. A fortress of elites. Screw the riffraff.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:57:47 PM
At 2/19/2016 6:48:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

They should also allow anyone to be a citizen of Vatican City, not just people that work for the Holy See.

Vatican City has no bridges, only walls. A fortress of elites. Screw the riffraff.

Vatican City is like 100 acres. Bit tough to take in too many.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:59:01 PM
At 2/19/2016 6:45:42 PM, TBR wrote:

You have added the "A christian" he said "not christian". The actions, not the man.

You're not paying attention to the grammatical logic of the statement. The simplest reduction of sentence reads "A Person ... is not Christian." The adjective christian is modifying the 'person' himself, not his actions or his words. The presence or absence of the article is irrelevant to the meaning.

And even if it were, the direct translation featured in this CNN video inserts the article. This statement wasn't delivered in English.
(http://www.nytimes.com...)

And like I said, there's pretty much unanimous agreement that the pope was adverting to Trump's christianity -- the only source of doubt being his qualification toward the end that he would extend the benefit of the doubt. Your interpretation is just incorrect.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:07:42 PM
And frankly the word 'interpretation' is rather charitable in this context. What you're offering is a reading of what the pope said. By the conventions of English grammar, your reading is just categorically incorrect.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:19:41 PM
At 2/19/2016 6:57:47 PM, TBR wrote:

They take in zero people that don't work for the holy see. The epitome of elitism. And you thought America was elite for teaching English to immigrants....
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:25:50 PM
At 2/19/2016 7:19:41 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

They take in zero people that don't work for the holy see. The epitome of elitism. And you thought America was elite for teaching English to immigrants....

I really couldn't care less about what the Vatican does, but I do think its silly to try to shame them because a country the size of a postage stamp is not known for accepting immigrants.

"But but.... What about YOU..." Please...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:30:12 PM
At 2/19/2016 6:59:01 PM, 000ike wrote:

You're not paying attention to the grammatical logic of the statement. The simplest reduction of sentence reads "A Person ... is not Christian." The adjective christian is modifying the 'person' himself, not his actions or his words. The presence or absence of the article is irrelevant to the meaning.

And even if it were, the direct translation featured in this CNN video inserts the article. This statement wasn't delivered in English.

And like I said, there's pretty much unanimous agreement that the pope was adverting to Trump's christianity -- the only source of doubt being his qualification toward the end that he would extend the benefit of the doubt. Your interpretation is just incorrect.

Like the discussion of Vatican city, I don't really care. Trump is not a Christian, he is not behaving as a christian, not living by the Gospels, not following the teachings of Christ. Say it any way you like, he is a complete and total a$$.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:34:01 PM
At 2/19/2016 7:30:12 PM, TBR wrote:

Like the discussion of Vatican city, I don't really care. Trump is not a Christian, he is not behaving as a christian, not living by the Gospels, not following the teachings of Christ. Say it any way you like, he is a complete and total a$$.

lol well of course, you and I are in total agreement on that point.

However, the argument you were defending was that the pope did not question Trump's faith -- which he very clearly did. I'm assuming this is a concession, then?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:37:56 PM
At 2/19/2016 7:25:50 PM, TBR wrote:
At 2/19/2016 7:19:41 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I really couldn't care less about what the Pope does, but I do think its silly to try to shame them because a country the size of a postage stamp is not known for accepting immigrants.

I agree.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:43:10 PM
At 2/19/2016 7:34:01 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/19/2016 7:30:12 PM, TBR wrote:

lol well of course, you and I are in total agreement on that point.

However, the argument you were defending was that the pope did not question Trump's faith -- which he very clearly did. I'm assuming this is a concession, then?

If you like it is a concession. Reading the quote vs hearing it, sure. Either way, if we were to ask the Pope to clarify, the distinction is only a matter to Christians who make a big deal out of this sort of thing. I hear many Christians saying so and so is not a real Christian. I think the correct response is, they are not behaving as Christians, not that they are NOT Christians.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 7:54:50 PM

Is the distinction that one is a set of moral values and the other is a thing you call yourself?
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 8:53:08 PM

Ironically, the Vatican City walls were built in 846 by Pope Leo IV after St. Peter's Basilica was sacked by Muslim raiders.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 11:07:00 PM
At 2/19/2016 8:53:08 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

Ironically, the Vatican City walls were built in 846 by Pope Leo IV after St. Peter's Basilica was sacked by Muslim raiders.

Real Christians build bridges and turn the other Basilica, not build walls....
http://biblehub.com...