Total Posts:79|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Trump Voters, Let me talk to you for a sec...

Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

7. Strong anti drugs policy.

I don't agree with everything he says and stands for but I think of the candidates who are running he matches my political ideology best.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 6:42:45 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

Why does this interest you? My interpretation is that you find a lack of experience on the job to be a qualification for the job.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

Absolutely irrelevant.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

What policy? All I have heard from him is how terrible our current policies are and how he is magically going to fix all of them by making us great.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 6:46:41 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

I support Donald Trump because he is going to destroy the Republican party as it is, and that's long overdue. Those things are just talking points. I know that Trump lies about his personal positions; it's necessary in a primary. I know that he's vague on the detail in order to give him an edge over the competition. I know that Trump is an incredibly deft manipulator; it's how he's managed to completely dominate the political arena. But I also think that he's competent enough to appoint skilled advisers if he does win, and don't think that a Trump presidency will be an unmitigated disaster.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:07:53 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:42:45 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

Why does this interest you? My interpretation is that you find a lack of experience on the job to be a qualification for the job.

I regard experience outside of politics as an excellent asset to have for someone seeking political office. Trump is vastly experienced in business and has a shrewd political brain.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

Absolutely irrelevant.

massively relevant. The man is clearly very clever and successful. Exactly the sort of person you want in charge of an economy. He clearly understands business and economics much better than any other candidate.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

What policy? All I have heard from him is how terrible our current policies are and how he is magically going to fix all of them by making us great.

This policy. Don't agree with everything but closer to my ideology then the other candidates.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:15:26 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

I hate the Republican establishment, and want to see him destroy it from the inside out.
Tsar of DDO
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,208
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:35:56 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:07:53 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:42:45 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

Why does this interest you? My interpretation is that you find a lack of experience on the job to be a qualification for the job.

I regard experience outside of politics as an excellent asset to have for someone seeking political office. Trump is vastly experienced in business and has a shrewd political brain.

4 bankruptcies and starting his enterprises from a loan of a million bucks from his pa early in life.


3. He is a multi billionaire.

Absolutely irrelevant.

massively relevant. The man is clearly very clever and successful. Exactly the sort of person you want in charge of an economy. He clearly understands business and economics much better than any other candidate.

Four. Bankruptcies.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

What policy? All I have heard from him is how terrible our current policies are and how he is magically going to fix all of them by making us great.

This policy. Don't agree with everything but closer to my ideology then the other candidates.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

.... self funding? A majority of his money comes from other people for this campaign...
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:38:18 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

1. He's the only possible GOP President this election season.
2. His supposed honesty and real-ness compared to all those other "fake" candidates.
3. His ability to get this far in the election while spending so little money and more or less building his campaign on saying things which would otherwise hurt someone's campaign suggests that he is much more competent than he looks.
4. Extremely poor speaking abilities do not equal stupidity.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:46:05 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:07:53 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:42:45 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

Why does this interest you? My interpretation is that you find a lack of experience on the job to be a qualification for the job.

I regard experience outside of politics as an excellent asset to have for someone seeking political office. Trump is vastly experienced in business and has a shrewd political brain.

Business experience is an important asset for running a business. Running a country is not running a business.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

Absolutely irrelevant.

massively relevant. The man is clearly very clever and successful. Exactly the sort of person you want in charge of an economy. He clearly understands business and economics much better than any other candidate.

Success is not an inherent personality trait, it's the result of having skills and abilities in the right areas. A man who runs away from Fox news anchors who attack him, doesn't understand the impact of insulting an entire religion, and thinks that his qualifications for the most powerful position on earth is substantiated by pointing out that people like him, demonstrates some of the most inept traits for this job I have ever seen.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

What policy? All I have heard from him is how terrible our current policies are and how he is magically going to fix all of them by making us great.

This policy. Don't agree with everything but closer to my ideology then the other candidates.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

Not responding to a link nor taking the time to read up on positions he himself has never explained. Provide a link to an interview, debate segment, or speech where he has expounded on his policy positions in detail and I will have a listen.
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:48:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:46:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

I support Donald Trump because he is going to destroy the Republican party as it is, and that's long overdue. Those things are just talking points. I know that Trump lies about his personal positions; it's necessary in a primary. I know that he's vague on the detail in order to give him an edge over the competition. I know that Trump is an incredibly deft manipulator; it's how he's managed to completely dominate the political arena. But I also think that he's competent enough to appoint skilled advisers if he does win, and don't think that a Trump presidency will be an unmitigated disaster.

Exactly this.

Moreover, supporting Trump is like the ultimate troll. Trump Triumph '16, baby
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:51:37 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

Because he's the reincarnation of Emperor Hadrian.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:54:01 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:38:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

1. He's the only possible GOP President this election season.
2. His supposed honesty and real-ness compared to all those other "fake" candidates.
3. His ability to get this far in the election while spending so little money and more or less building his campaign on saying things which would otherwise hurt someone's campaign suggests that he is much more competent than he looks.
4. Extremely poor speaking abilities do not equal stupidity.

1. I highly doubt that. The only people really paying attention right now are the party base voters. Once the rest of the country really begins to pay attention and scrutinize his positions and the things he has said and done, do you really believe his support will stay where it is?

2. Definitely an asset in his favor

3. It does not demonstrate competency, it demonstrates the state of the far right wing, which is that they are racist bigots and are so mad at government that they will vote for anyone who is not a politician.

4. His problem is not poor speaking, it's a complete disregard for intelligent policy discussion in favor of a 5th grade level shouting match.
Dark-one
Posts: 211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 7:59:49 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:07:53 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:42:45 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

Why does this interest you? My interpretation is that you find a lack of experience on the job to be a qualification for the job.

I regard experience outside of politics as an excellent asset to have for someone seeking political office. Trump is vastly experienced in business and has a shrewd political brain.

Business experience is an important asset for running a business. Running a country is not running a business.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

Absolutely irrelevant.

massively relevant. The man is clearly very clever and successful. Exactly the sort of person you want in charge of an economy. He clearly understands business and economics much better than any other candidate.

Success is not an inherent personality trait, it's the result of having skills and abilities in the right areas. A man who runs away from Fox news anchors who attack him, doesn't understand the impact of insulting an entire religion, and thinks that his qualifications for the most powerful position on earth is substantiated by pointing out that people like him, demonstrates some of the most inept traits for this job I have ever seen.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

What policy? All I have heard from him is how terrible our current policies are and how he is magically going to fix all of them by making us great.

This policy. Don't agree with everything but closer to my ideology then the other candidates.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

Not responding to a link nor taking the time to read up on positions he himself has never explained. Provide a link to an interview, debate segment, or speech where he has expounded on his policy positions in detail and I will have a listen.

I'm just gonna say this about the difference between business and gov. Gov can afford to screw up if it can convince it's supporters they aren't screwing up.
Businesses can't afford to screw up, because then customers are turned off. Screwing means not having the money to pay for the cost of the product and make a profit--they die.

Good business mentality is this--know what you're good at in the big picture, and get rid of everything that doesn't contribute to it, focus on the things that do contribute.

If you were to think of profit as having a strong economy, diplomatic, economic, and military leverage, then business attitude in that sense would work just fine.

As for who I support, couldn't say--not informed enough on the issues.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 8:05:22 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:59:49 PM, Dark-one wrote:
I'm just gonna say this about the difference between business and gov. Gov can afford to screw up if it can convince it's supporters they aren't screwing up.
Businesses can't afford to screw up, because then customers are turned off. Screwing means not having the money to pay for the cost of the product and make a profit--they die.

Good business mentality is this--know what you're good at in the big picture, and get rid of everything that doesn't contribute to it, focus on the things that do contribute.

Presidents don't have the choice of disregarding areas they are not qualified to handle.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 8:10:59 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:54:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:38:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

1. He's the only possible GOP President this election season.
2. His supposed honesty and real-ness compared to all those other "fake" candidates.
3. His ability to get this far in the election while spending so little money and more or less building his campaign on saying things which would otherwise hurt someone's campaign suggests that he is much more competent than he looks.
4. Extremely poor speaking abilities do not equal stupidity.

1. I highly doubt that. The only people really paying attention right now are the party base voters. Once the rest of the country really begins to pay attention and scrutinize his positions and the things he has said and done, do you really believe his support will stay where it is?

Just saying. The "inevitable fall of Trump" hasn't happened yet.

2. Definitely an asset in his favor

3. It does not demonstrate competency, it demonstrates the state of the far right wing, which is that they are racist bigots and are so mad at government that they will vote for anyone who is not a politician.

Generalizations and use of stereotypes like this are why you won't understand the psychology of a Trump supporter.

4. His problem is not poor speaking, it's a complete disregard for intelligent policy discussion in favor of a 5th grade level shouting match.

Almost every other candidate is talking intelligent policy and they're losing. Trump knows that doesn't sell so he talks simple.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Dark-one
Posts: 211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 8:17:04 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 8:05:22 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:59:49 PM, Dark-one wrote:
I'm just gonna say this about the difference between business and gov. Gov can afford to screw up if it can convince it's supporters they aren't screwing up.
Businesses can't afford to screw up, because then customers are turned off. Screwing means not having the money to pay for the cost of the product and make a profit--they die.

Good business mentality is this--know what you're good at in the big picture, and get rid of everything that doesn't contribute to it, focus on the things that do contribute.

Presidents don't have the choice of disregarding areas they are not qualified to handle.

People only care if they actually know what's going on.
Considering that they have to get most of their information from an unreliable media, that's rather questionable. The presidential debates aren't the best source either.

There was a guy on a president's cabinet, whose name I can't remember. He was being interviewed. The interviewer's questions were irritating him. One of his responses was this:
"There are three kinds of people. The people who make things happen, the people who know what's happening, and the people who don't know what just happened."

It seems that many of us are sadly the third kind :(
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 8:20:32 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 8:10:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:54:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:38:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

1. He's the only possible GOP President this election season.
2. His supposed honesty and real-ness compared to all those other "fake" candidates.
3. His ability to get this far in the election while spending so little money and more or less building his campaign on saying things which would otherwise hurt someone's campaign suggests that he is much more competent than he looks.
4. Extremely poor speaking abilities do not equal stupidity.

1. I highly doubt that. The only people really paying attention right now are the party base voters. Once the rest of the country really begins to pay attention and scrutinize his positions and the things he has said and done, do you really believe his support will stay where it is?

Just saying. The "inevitable fall of Trump" hasn't happened yet.

2. Definitely an asset in his favor

3. It does not demonstrate competency, it demonstrates the state of the far right wing, which is that they are racist bigots and are so mad at government that they will vote for anyone who is not a politician.

Generalizations and use of stereotypes like this are why you won't understand the psychology of a Trump supporter.

The generalizations and stereotypes come from Trump demonstrating these traits time and time again, and people following him despite him demonstrating nothing else.

4. His problem is not poor speaking, it's a complete disregard for intelligent policy discussion in favor of a 5th grade level shouting match.

Almost every other candidate is talking intelligent policy and they're losing. Trump knows that doesn't sell so he talks simple.

That's the point of this thread. If you're argument is that he's smart enough to realize that you don't care about electing a president that understands what he is doing then you're not helping me restore my faith in the far right wing of America.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 8:23:16 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 8:20:32 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 8:10:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:54:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:38:18 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

1. He's the only possible GOP President this election season.
2. His supposed honesty and real-ness compared to all those other "fake" candidates.
3. His ability to get this far in the election while spending so little money and more or less building his campaign on saying things which would otherwise hurt someone's campaign suggests that he is much more competent than he looks.
4. Extremely poor speaking abilities do not equal stupidity.

1. I highly doubt that. The only people really paying attention right now are the party base voters. Once the rest of the country really begins to pay attention and scrutinize his positions and the things he has said and done, do you really believe his support will stay where it is?

Just saying. The "inevitable fall of Trump" hasn't happened yet.

2. Definitely an asset in his favor

3. It does not demonstrate competency, it demonstrates the state of the far right wing, which is that they are racist bigots and are so mad at government that they will vote for anyone who is not a politician.

Generalizations and use of stereotypes like this are why you won't understand the psychology of a Trump supporter.

The generalizations and stereotypes come from Trump demonstrating these traits time and time again, and people following him despite him demonstrating nothing else.

4. His problem is not poor speaking, it's a complete disregard for intelligent policy discussion in favor of a 5th grade level shouting match.

Almost every other candidate is talking intelligent policy and they're losing. Trump knows that doesn't sell so he talks simple.

That's the point of this thread. If you're argument is that he's smart enough to realize that you don't care about electing a president that understands what he is doing then you're not helping me restore my faith in the far right wing of America.

It goes both ways. Sanders more or less spends his time railing against Wall Street. And that sells for the Left base.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 8:27:07 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Sanders: Wall Street is evil greed that is greedily stealing!
Base: YEAH!
Sanders: Wage theft is greedy Wall Street!
Base: YEAH!
Sanders: The corporations are the enemy!
Base: YEAH!
Sanders: Rise up oh ye proles against the Bourgeois!
Base: YEEAAAHHH!!!!!!
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 8:39:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 8:23:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
That's the point of this thread. If you're argument is that he's smart enough to realize that you don't care about electing a president that understands what he is doing then you're not helping me restore my faith in the far right wing of America.

It goes both ways. Sanders more or less spends his time railing against Wall Street. And that sells for the Left base.

I agree, which is why I don't support Sanders. But as a matter of comparison from a substantive perspective, Trump is still not even in the same ballpark.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:09:14 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:35:56 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:07:53 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:42:45 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

Why does this interest you? My interpretation is that you find a lack of experience on the job to be a qualification for the job.

I regard experience outside of politics as an excellent asset to have for someone seeking political office. Trump is vastly experienced in business and has a shrewd political brain.

4 bankruptcies and starting his enterprises from a loan of a million bucks from his pa early in life.

Most people start their own businesses with a loan or investment . So why is their anything wrong with that?

The fact is he Is now a multi billionaire.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

Absolutely irrelevant.

massively relevant. The man is clearly very clever and successful. Exactly the sort of person you want in charge of an economy. He clearly understands business and economics much better than any other candidate.

Four. Bankruptcies.

That's the past. He has learned from previous mistakes and is now a billionaire. There are not many of them in America. He is clearly an entrepreneurial genius. This cannot be denied and anyone who disputes this is simply denying reality.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

What policy? All I have heard from him is how terrible our current policies are and how he is magically going to fix all of them by making us great.

This policy. Don't agree with everything but closer to my ideology then the other candidates.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

.... self funding? A majority of his money comes from other people for this campaign...

He has contributed more to his own campaign then any of the other candidates. Many of whom rely entirely on other people to fund their campaigns.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:23:04 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:07:53 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:42:45 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

2. He is not a career politician.

Why does this interest you? My interpretation is that you find a lack of experience on the job to be a qualification for the job.

I regard experience outside of politics as an excellent asset to have for someone seeking political office. Trump is vastly experienced in business and has a shrewd political brain.

Business experience is an important asset for running a business. Running a country is not running a business.

In my view it shares many similarities. Clearly it's a step up but from an economic perspective he is clearly well qualified for the job. He is also used to being in charge of large numbers of people and negotiating deals in high stakes situations. When you think about it the similarities are numerous. I'd prefer a successful businessman running the country than a career politician.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

Absolutely irrelevant.

massively relevant. The man is clearly very clever and successful. Exactly the sort of person you want in charge of an economy. He clearly understands business and economics much better than any other candidate.

Success is not an inherent personality trait, it's the result of having skills and abilities in the right areas. A man who runs away from Fox news anchors who attack him, doesn't understand the impact of insulting an entire religion, and thinks that his qualifications for the most powerful position on earth is substantiated by pointing out that people like him, demonstrates some of the most inept traits for this job I have ever seen.

Trump is a very intelligent man. He will take advice from a wide range of sources if elected president. He knows how to manage finances, he is a strong leader, his decision to ban Muslim immigration was a move planned to increase support amongst far right tea party and evangelical republicans. It was a clever move to increase popularity. All politicians duck out of media from time to time. Being liked is important. He is merely saying people agree with his policies and this is a sign they are good and he is suitable for the job.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

5. Strong foreign policy.

6. Strong immigration policy.

What policy? All I have heard from him is how terrible our current policies are and how he is magically going to fix all of them by making us great.

This policy. Don't agree with everything but closer to my ideology then the other candidates.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

Not responding to a link nor taking the time to read up on positions he himself has never explained. Provide a link to an interview, debate segment, or speech where he has expounded on his policy positions in detail and I will have a listen.

It is explained in detail and there are videos. If you don't want to look at it that's perfectly understandable due to the amount of content there is to get through.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 10:57:05 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 10:23:04 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, Double_R wrote:
Business experience is an important asset for running a business. Running a country is not running a business.

In my view it shares many similarities. Clearly it's a step up but from an economic perspective he is clearly well qualified for the job. He is also used to being in charge of large numbers of people and negotiating deals in high stakes situations. When you think about it the similarities are numerous. I'd prefer a successful businessman running the country than a career politician.

In other words, "I'd prefer someone with no experience in Government to run the government". Ok.

Success is not an inherent personality trait, it's the result of having skills and abilities in the right areas. A man who runs away from Fox news anchors who attack him, doesn't understand the impact of insulting an entire religion, and thinks that his qualifications for the most powerful position on earth is substantiated by pointing out that people like him, demonstrates some of the most inept traits for this job I have ever seen.

Trump is a very intelligent man. He will take advice from a wide range of sources if elected president. He knows how to manage finances, he is a strong leader, his decision to ban Muslim immigration was a move planned to increase support amongst far right tea party and evangelical republicans. It was a clever move to increase popularity.

Flabbergasted that you write this as if it helps your case.

He is merely saying people agree with his policies and this is a sign they are good and he is suitable for the job.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

Not responding to a link nor taking the time to read up on positions he himself has never explained. Provide a link to an interview, debate segment, or speech where he has expounded on his policy positions in detail and I will have a listen.

It is explained in detail and there are videos. If you don't want to look at it that's perfectly understandable due to the amount of content there is to get through.

The point of this thread is to figure out why people support Trump. Most supporters have not dug through his website, so digging through myself will not help.
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2016 11:02:32 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

It could be possible, he's only doing this to get votes, but really he's moderate in truth. (Not that I support him)
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 8:02:52 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:46:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I support Donald Trump because he is going to destroy the Republican party as it is, and that's long overdue.

Then why not vote a democrat?

Those things are just talking points. I know that Trump lies about his personal positions; it's necessary in a primary.

I feel like all the Trump "supporters" on this site are just trolling everyone else for the lolz.

I know that Trump is an incredibly deft manipulator;

This is very true though.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 8:48:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 8:02:52 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:46:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I support Donald Trump because he is going to destroy the Republican party as it is, and that's long overdue.

Then why not vote a democrat?

Because I detest them as well. Especially Hillary.

Those things are just talking points. I know that Trump lies about his personal positions; it's necessary in a primary.

I feel like all the Trump "supporters" on this site are just trolling everyone else for the lolz.

It's impossible to win the Republican primary without being insane or lying through your teeth. Which is part of why I hate the Republican party so much. If they were capable of producing moderate, competent, sane opposition I would be supporting that sane candidate. Until they do, I want to watch Trump beat them at their absurd little game.

I know that Trump is an incredibly deft manipulator;

This is very true though.

C E N T I P E D E
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
augcaesarustus
Posts: 368
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 9:50:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

I think this is what happens when an institution that was never meant to be partisan or populist becomes such. This leads to a situation in which anyone can run for President and get their air-time on TV. A candidate like Donald Trump would never even be considered in the UK because the system of responsible government simply doesn't permit it.

Solution: reinstate the non-partisan, non-popularly elected, neutral presidency, elected by independent electors who possess wisdom and experience to make the best choice for candidate. This system would be 'Trump-proof'.
zoinks
Posts: 1,988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 1:33:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

Neither is Sanders.

2. He is not a career politician.

So he lacks experience.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

That's a reason NOT to vote for him. Billionaires don't get the issues faced by common people and aren't a good representation of them.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

He's gotten lucky to get where he is personally. His economic policy is weak.

5. Strong foreign policy.

Really? It seems like his entire foreign policy is to say things to make people angry. The guy has ZERO diplomacy skill.

6. Strong immigration policy.

Nope, just a bunch of strong words and statements saying he'll do things he can't possibly do.

7. Strong anti drugs policy.

No stronger than anyone else running.

I don't agree with everything he says and stands for but I think of the candidates who are running he matches my political ideology best.

So your political ideology is to support a rich but crazy buffoon who can't keep his promises. Wow.
zoinks
Posts: 1,988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 1:35:55 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 9:50:05 AM, augcaesarustus wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

I think this is what happens when an institution that was never meant to be partisan or populist becomes such. This leads to a situation in which anyone can run for President and get their air-time on TV. A candidate like Donald Trump would never even be considered in the UK because the system of responsible government simply doesn't permit it.

Solution: reinstate the non-partisan, non-popularly elected, neutral presidency, elected by independent electors who possess wisdom and experience to make the best choice for candidate. This system would be 'Trump-proof'.

This sounds like a good idea, actually.

Trump will end up starting World War 3 if he's elected, because he'll try to bully foreign hostile leaders and they won't be bullied and then he'll say "What do I do now?" and then cry and whine and moan and assume the fetal position.

Then you better hope someone in his cabinet has the military and diplomacy skills to save the world after that doddering buffoon puts it on the brink of war.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 2:30:43 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/21/2016 1:33:03 PM, zoinks wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:36:55 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/20/2016 6:21:06 PM, Double_R wrote:
If you support Trump for president, not because you hate everyone else but because you actually want him to be your president... Why?

In every single speech, debate, or interview he takes part in I hear 4 things: "Look at my poll numbers", "that guy is an idiot", "our policies are terrible", and my favorite... "I'll make us great, believe me".

Are my ears malfunctioning? Is there a message I am missing? Please, help restore my faith in this country by showing me that the people who support Trump are more than just dimwits who are pissed off and voting for the guy who says what makes them feel good.

My main reasons for supporting trump are.

1. He is not from the political establishment.

Neither is Sanders.

Agree but I disagree with almost all of Sanders policies.

2. He is not a career politician.

So he lacks experience.

He is very experienced in the world of business. He has proven he is capable of managing finances. He is used to high stakes meetings and negotiations and has proven adept at them hence the success of his businesses. He is used to managing people and making important decisions. He is also very knowledgeable about politics. He has actual real world experience outside of politics.

3. He is a multi billionaire.

That's a reason NOT to vote for him. Billionaires don't get the issues faced by common people and aren't a good representation of them.

It's all about economics. Trump is clearly great at it. Why is being a billionaire a reason to not understand ordinary people? That is just a prejudicial comment against billionaires. Are any of the other candidates short of money? No. None of them live normal lives. The difference is trump made his money through business while many of the other relied on state salaries and donations to earn their money.

4. Strong economic policy. I am also interested in seeing how someone who has achieved such incredible personal success gets on managing a national economy.

He's gotten lucky to get where he is personally. His economic policy is weak.

That's an absurd statement. How is becoming a billionaire luck? It's the comment of someone who is jealous I think. His economic policies are strong. What flaws do you see in them? He is by far the most qualified candidate to manage the economy. Trump can treat the country as his business. He can deliver the results when put in charge as his career shows.

5. Strong foreign policy.

Really? It seems like his entire foreign policy is to say things to make people angry. The guy has ZERO diplomacy skill.

Not really. He just intends to strengthen the military avoid unnecessary conflicts and stand up to Russian aggression. How if as you claim he has zero diplomatic skill has he been so successful in business? Business is all about negotiations.


6. Strong immigration policy.

Nope, just a bunch of strong words and statements saying he'll do things he can't possibly do.

Strengthening border controls and deporting illegal immigrants is possible and needs to be done. Increasing security checks on legal migrants Is also vital.

7. Strong anti drugs policy.

No stronger than anyone else running.

But no weaker so you have no point here really.

I don't agree with everything he says and stands for but I think of the candidates who are running he matches my political ideology best.

So your political ideology is to support a rich but crazy buffoon who can't keep his promises. Wow.

My political ideology is centre right on the whole but with views ranging across the spectrum. I advocate successful business people getting involved in politics. These people are clearly highly intelligent and show the skills Neccessary in running large organizations and are used to managing a huge enterprise with many elements, employees and over a wide range of issues. I don't think a career business person with massive personal success is more qualified and suitable for office then a career politician. Who do you want to be the next president?