Jump to topic:

Apathetic Party Platform

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:36:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A little late in the game but a new party has been created.

This is a thread for the members of the Apathetic Party to lay out their platform and for questions to be asked concerning it. Please refrain from derailing this thread in any way.

To my knowledge, theLwerd and Vi_Veri are members.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:41:55 PM
I can't speak for them but it sounds like it's just here to mock the whole election process.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 12:45:39 PM
At 11/5/2010 12:41:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I can't speak for them but it sounds like it's just here to mock the whole election process.

Maybe.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:11:35 PM
At 11/5/2010 12:41:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Freedo is absolutely right - he can't speak for us.

I will present our platform asap :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:38:24 PM
Many thanks to those who have taken the time to get to know the Apathetic Party,

I am the official Spokesperson as well as the candidate representing the party for the Presidency of DDO. My partner in this endeavor is Vi_Veri who is on the ballot for VP. At this juncture we have no plans to appoint any other individual to any position of relevant authority. However, our platform will indicate how this is because any idealistic notion of authority or prestige over another member on this website is arbitrary, unnecessary and frivolous.

-- Our Positions --

1. Improving the Quality of DDO

My opponent from the "Freedom" Party has made several suggestions to improve the quality of debates or forum topics discussed on DDO, such as championing tournaments and discouraging participation on threads some people consider pointless. Us in the Apathetic Party believe it's quite obvious that only those who wish to discuss something actually do discuss it, and recognize each member's individual right to engage in any particular discussion they so choose. In other words, we see no reason to actively ask any member not to discuss a particular matter. We also acknowledge that if any members actively seek to interfere with the quality of the website or another member's experience, that they have the right to approach the owner and moderator of the website (Phil) to review the matter at hand and take appropriate measures up to Phil's discretion.

Moreover, the Apathetic Party feels it is redundant to complain about the quality of debates being presented when each member has the capacity to instigate a debate about any topic of their choosing, and/or actively seek an opponent to debate specific matters in a particular fashion. Because nearly every attempt at a tournament has been unsuccessful in the past, while the option is always open to start one, this Party sees no reason to make promises of a tournament that will ultimately fall through or cease to exist such as the case with all candidates past. Furthermore, we believe that no Party need be responsible for this endeavor, as any willing and able member on DDO may take on this burden at any particular time completely independent of DDO political affiliations.

2. Trolls

The AP believes that trolls should simply not be fed. Period. Instead, the moderator (Phil) should be notified regarding their existence, and Phil can take it from there. After all, he is the only one with any real authority or power (see: Askbob).

3. The TOS

The AP acknowledges Phil's right to create and uphold any aspects of the TOS that he so chooses, which members contractually agree to when signing up to become a member of this site. Violations may result in termination, though said termination may be appealed to the moderator and agreements reached according to said moderator's discretion. The AP believes any questionable aspects of the TOS may be brought to the attention of either the moderator or forum board to be discussed by members of the website, however does not endorse harassing the moderator for changes but merely encourages open discussion to improve the quality of the website for everyone involved.

4. Fun

The AP encourages all members to have fun and come up with fun ideas for the website in general.

-- Conclusion --

The Apathetic Party does NOT seek to make it's candidate Moderator of DDO, nor does it recommend any active member becoming moderator of DDO in the near future. Instead, the AP accepts Phil's decision to be in charge of his own website, considering it's still fairly small and Phil responds to e-mails and most discussion in a timely manner. In other words, all issues can and are resolved by Phil at this time. Any attempt to have more say in the quality of this website over another is not only unnecessary but simply ego boosting and divisive. The Apathetic Party believes active members should be responsible for their own contribution on this site, and takes responsibility for the content. In other words, no "Party" or member should be in charge of anything in particular. Anyone may take it upon themselves to improve the site in any way, even if that includes being the liaison with Phil. The primary role of President would be as an active representative figurehead for this ideology, as well as a go-to person for any particular questions, comments or concerns. However everyone in the AP acknowledges each individual's worth to be a productive and helpful contributor; in other words anyone can be a go-to person if they so feel inclined. The AP does not seek to actively do anything as a whole except encourage discussion amongst members to take initiative as individuals coming together as a collective to improve the site. To combat site destruction (i.e. annoying members, etc.) we will simply ignore it and/or contact Phil as our only formal policy.

-- Closing --

Please feel free to ask for any questions or clarifications. Also note that the AP has the right to amend or add on to our platform as time continues.
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:57:21 PM
You made the statement the other day that it's pretty easy to not miss DDO when, upon coming back, you immediately stumble upon "Fallacy! Anarchism! Morality!" (and perhaps some subsequent facepalming ensues). How do you reconcile this disposition toward the site with your assertion that there's no debating worth complaining over, or especially with instances where there are a multitude of troll/spam debates and threads being posted up which clog both the forums and the challenge module?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 3:06:32 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:57:21 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You made the statement the other day that it's pretty easy to not miss DDO when, upon coming back, you immediately stumble upon "Fallacy! Anarchism! Morality!" (and perhaps some subsequent facepalming ensues). How do you reconcile this disposition toward the site with your assertion that there's no debating worth complaining over, or especially with instances where there are a multitude of troll/spam debates and threads being posted up which clog both the forums and the challenge module?

I don't see a correlation between the two at all. Sometimes I find DDO monotonous, boring, immature, annoying and a waste of time. In those instances I plan to simply not spend time on DDO and come back whenever I feel so inclined. I don't see how your question is relevant...

Have I complained over any of the debates here? I think not. If someone posted a dumb debate I didn't want to debate, I wouldn't accept it. If I wanted to debate something that appealed to me, I'd instigate a debate and/or find a challenger.

The same applies to threads. I may note that a thread seems silly to me, but I don't need to actively ask or expect others not to post in something just because I might think it's dumb.

Regarding the difference between the AP and the FP, it's that the AP doesn't seek to do anything as a party aside from appreciating individuals taking more responsibility for the content and promotion of the site; in other words be the change you wish to see (to paraphrase Gandhi). I don't want any Presidential duties or exclusivities nor do I want my Party to host or promote things as a Party. I won't encourage anything in the name of a Party either, i.e. I don't endorse any tournament unless a random individual wants to host it completely independent of any DDO political affiliation (I think I said that before).

In short I don't see the need for DDO Parties at all; this is the Party who acknowledges the retardation of having Parties to begin with - and the Party that accepts all legitimate efforts in the past (including by myself) to affect or improve the site has been either unnoticed, very small, or not worth the effort. Still people can individually seek to make small changes without pretending any type of party or especially election is relevant at doing other than making a bunch of nerds feel important for a day or two. Most of the time it's short-lived. See: Lexicaholic... or whoever it was that won the Liberal thing last year.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 3:14:05 PM
In short, this Party plans to do absolutely nothing, because we recognize that any idea that a Party can get anything accomplished is stupid as evidenced by all previous attempts (and sincere efforts were indeed made in the past). Us as individuals are completely apathetic to the going-ons on DDO aside from what we can contribute or effect individually, and accept that sincere dissatisfaction with the site should simply result in us removing ourselves or taking it upon ourselves or another to create/find a more pleasing site. Any change that a "Party" can do can easily be achieved by an individual not aligned with a Party. This is the Party for those who realize how frivolous and stupid this all really is. Yay AP.
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 3:15:34 PM
At 11/5/2010 3:14:05 PM, theLwerd wrote:
In short, this Party plans to do absolutely nothing, because we recognize that any idea that a Party can get anything accomplished is stupid as evidenced by all previous attempts (and sincere efforts were indeed made in the past). Us as individuals are completely apathetic to the going-ons on DDO aside from what we can contribute or effect individually, and accept that sincere dissatisfaction with the site should simply result in us removing ourselves or taking it upon ourselves or another to create/find a more pleasing site. Any change that a "Party" can do can easily be achieved by an individual not aligned with a Party. This is the Party for those who realize how frivolous and stupid this all really is. Yay AP.
There is an attempt to make it official, otherwise I would not participate.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 3:26:46 PM
At 11/5/2010 3:15:34 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/5/2010 3:14:05 PM, theLwerd wrote:
There is an attempt to make it official, otherwise I would not participate.

What this man said, there will be mod power involved.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 4:23:47 PM
The Apathetic Party hereby chooses to stop campaigning all-together indefinitely for a certain amount of undisclosed time due to, well, complete apathy on the whole matter. Thanks.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 4:27:15 PM
At 11/5/2010 4:23:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
The Apathetic Party hereby chooses to stop campaigning all-together indefinitely for a certain amount of undisclosed time due to, well, complete apathy on the whole matter. Thanks.

I'm apathetic to your decision.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 6:08:13 PM

What kind of power, and says whom? Besides, this platform advocates NO mod power for any elected member; all mod powers granted should be at Phil's discretion.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 6:16:16 PM
At 11/5/2010 6:08:13 PM, theLwerd wrote:

What kind of power, and says whom? Besides, this platform advocates NO mod power for any elected member; all mod powers granted should be at Phil's discretion.

I'm waiting to hear the details too. I first heard it from the Authoparty. It would be nice if Phil would come on and provide some details on it.