Jump to topic:

Candidate's views on ToS

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:38:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay, some of the threads seem to be spinning off topic.

Can each of our candidates let us know what they think of the ToS. Is it viewed as our "constitution," is it viewed as set in stone, is it viewed is more of a set of guidelines (PotC rip off, lol)?

How do you see it and how would you work with it, if elected?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:42:25 PM
At 11/5/2010 1:38:50 PM, OreEle wrote:
Okay, some of the threads seem to be spinning off topic.

Can each of our candidates let us know what they think of the ToS. Is it viewed as our "constitution," is it viewed as set in stone, is it viewed is more of a set of guidelines (PotC rip off, lol)?

How do you see it and how would you work with it, if elected?

It's in my platform.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:43:26 PM
I'm not a candidate(yet), but I see the ToS as something to take into account but never be bound by. The ToS can often be a stumbling block to members happily going along with there business here on this site which is far from saying that we should have some rules of conduct.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:46:54 PM
At 11/5/2010 1:43:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm not a candidate(yet), but I see the ToS as something to take into account but never be bound by. The ToS can often be a stumbling block to members happily going along with there business here on this site which is far from saying that we shouldn't have some rules of conduct.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:50:15 PM
At 11/5/2010 1:46:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 11/5/2010 1:43:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm not a candidate(yet), but I see the ToS as something to take into account but never be bound by. The ToS can often be a stumbling block to members happily going along with there business here on this site which is far from saying that we shouldn't have some rules of conduct.

Big catch, I was scratching my head on that one, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:51:58 PM
At 11/5/2010 1:46:28 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I'm thinking, if elected, that I may possibly try to put a "court" together. A DDO Supreme Court of sorts which would be ideologically heterogeneous (no Freedom Party court-packing schemes, so don't worry), and would do its best to make decisions about offenders.

I like that idea actually. There could be a representative from each party on this court.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:53:59 PM
At 11/5/2010 1:51:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I'm thinking, if elected, that I may possibly try to put a "court" together. A DDO Supreme Court of sorts which would be ideologically heterogeneous (no Freedom Party court-packing schemes, so don't worry), and would do its best to make decisions about offenders.

I like that idea actually. There could be a representative from each party on this court.

sounds like an organized way to terrorize unpopular members actually... since people already do that, what do we need a court for? :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:54:00 PM

I'm thinking it would be composed of 5 people. 4 Associates and a Chief Justice.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 1:55:58 PM
At 11/5/2010 1:53:59 PM, belle wrote:

sounds like an organized way to terrorize unpopular members actually... since people already do that, what do we need a court for? :P

Good thing it's nothing like how it sounds to you.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:00:46 PM
At 11/5/2010 1:55:58 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

well seeing as the members have no authority to actually ban people, spamming is the worst they can do. and seeing as you will have a wide range of ideologies represented on your court, only truly unpopular people will get spammed.

what else did you plan on using it for?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:00:59 PM
In all things concerning this site Phil is the ultimate authority, and the ToS are his rules that we are to work with. The function of the president would be to not challenge these rules or Phil, but rather to work with the members in maintaining an atmosphere of great diversity of opinion and style of post. The excellence that has become DDO will always be the priority of the presidency. However, unlike my authoritarian friend, i do not believe that the presidency should be an instrument of Phil's so that individual members can be reported and castigated. On the contrary, i believe in the self moderating nature of the individuals that post here. We are not children who need to be spanked when we misspeak or patted on the head when we do good. This is DDO, we are the best of the net and we expect the best from each other. We have the unique ability to bring out the best in each other and those who cannot meet these expectations soon find this is not their place and voluntarily leave. Remember innomen for pres.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:07:31 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:00:46 PM, belle wrote:
At 11/5/2010 1:55:58 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

well seeing as the members have no authority to actually ban people, spamming is the worst they can do. and seeing as you will have a wide range of ideologies represented on your court, only truly unpopular people will get spammed.

Assuming we have no actual power to do anything, then I wouldn't use the idea. I had heard rumors about the winning party getting some sort of mod ability, though. Maybe bunk, maybe not.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:08:56 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:00:59 PM, innomen wrote:
In all things concerning this site Phil is the ultimate authority, and the ToS are his rules that we are to work with. The function of the president would be to not challenge these rules or Phil, but rather to work with the members in maintaining an atmosphere of great diversity of opinion and style of post. The excellence that has become DDO will always be the priority of the presidency. However, unlike my authoritarian friend, i do not believe that the presidency should be an instrument of Phil's so that individual members can be reported and castigated. On the contrary, i believe in the self moderating nature of the individuals that post here. We are not children who need to be spanked when we misspeak or patted on the head when we do good. This is DDO, we are the best of the net and we expect the best from each other. We have the unique ability to bring out the best in each other and those who cannot meet these expectations soon find this is not their place and voluntarily leave.

This is not categorically true.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:10:07 PM
Remember innomen for pres.

That's similar to my position. What party are you? We're the Apathetic Party! By we I mean myself and my gf, and she's an extension by default because I needed 2 for a party. Haha.
President of DDO
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:11:44 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:10:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:

That's similar to my position. What party are you? We're the Apathetic Party! By we I mean myself and my gf, and she's an extension by default because I needed 2 for a party. Haha.

He's an Independent.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:22:07 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:11:44 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/5/2010 2:10:07 PM, theLwerd wrote:

He's an Independent.

I abhor party politics, they are contrary to my values.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:22:56 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:08:56 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
In all things concerning this site Phil is the ultimate authority, and the ToS are his rules that we are to work with. The function of the president would be to not challenge these rules or Phil, but rather to work with the members in maintaining an atmosphere of great diversity of opinion and style of post. The excellence that has become DDO will always be the priority of the presidency. However, unlike my authoritarian friend, i do not believe that the presidency should be an instrument of Phil's so that individual members can be reported and castigated. On the contrary, i believe in the self moderating nature of the individuals that post here. We are not children who need to be spanked when we misspeak or patted on the head when we do good. This is DDO, we are the best of the net and we expect the best from each other. We have the unique ability to bring out the best in each other and those who cannot meet these expectations soon find this is not their place and voluntarily leave.

You are correct in absolute terms, but for the most part it is true.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:30:57 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:22:56 PM, innomen wrote:

Indeed. The use of retributive measures would be limited to those who aren't sensible enough to shape up or leave the site--the people who insist on continuing to troll and spam. For the most part, my administration's role in dealing with people who are out of line--meaning that self-regulation doesn't do it for them--is a pretty gentle nudge.

Actually, if Freedom Party comes through, I could really use your level-headed help.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:35:32 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:30:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Indeed. The use of retributive measures would be limited to those who aren't sensible enough to shape up or leave the site--the people who insist on continuing to troll and spam. For the most part, my administration's role in dealing with people who are out of line--meaning that self-regulation doesn't do it for them--is a pretty gentle nudge.

Actually, if Freedom Party comes through, I could really use your level-headed help.

Yeah, was thinking the same.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 2:38:37 PM
At 11/5/2010 2:35:32 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/5/2010 2:30:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Yeah, was thinking the same.

Alrighty. Luck to you, and thanks.