Jump to topic:

Explain this concept to me please..

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:11:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think you mean government shouldn't create jobs. Obviously the government can create jobs if given the authority to do so.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:12:43 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:11:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I think you mean government shouldn't create jobs. Obviously the government can create jobs if given the authority to do so.

^^ correct (I think that it should, but that is me).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:20:29 PM
er... i think when people say that they mean to say that every job the government "creates" is a job taken from the private sector. no one literally believes (i hope!) that the government doesn't hire and pay people to preform tasks lol that would just be stupid...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:21:22 PM

No. The republicans are saying, "Government does not create jobs"
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:21:50 PM

I know what you mean, and I agree that they should be saying something else.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:22:26 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:21:22 PM, comoncents wrote:

No. The republicans are saying, "Government does not create jobs"

They probably mean, "Goverment does not create jobs... as well as the private sector could."
President of DDO
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:23:03 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:20:29 PM, belle wrote:
er... i think when people say that they mean to say that every job the government "creates" is a job taken from the private sector. no one literally believes (i hope!) that the government doesn't hire and pay people to preform tasks lol that would just be stupid...

I get that, but they literally say craziness.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:23:38 PM
Maybe they mean that the government does not make anything to create wealth, it only does services (though most of our economy is services).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:26:50 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:24:04 PM, comoncents wrote:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com...

I know, I watched his acceptance speech. I don't know what he thinks, and I think if I ever got into his brain to figure it out, I'd have to take a cold shower when I came back out.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:27:11 PM
From your link:

"Government does not create prosperity. We create prosperity. Until we understand that, we cannot protect our liberties," Senator-elect Rand Paul

By prosperity, he probably means the people need not rely on government to create jobs, and that relying on the government to do so requires forfeiture of our liberties against government's authority.
President of DDO
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:32:24 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:27:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
From your link:

"Government does not create prosperity. We create prosperity. Until we understand that, we cannot protect our liberties," Senator-elect Rand Paul

By prosperity, he probably means the people need not rely on government to create jobs, and that relying on the government to do so requires forfeiture of our liberties against government's authority.

Got you, but I think he says somewhere that government does not create jobs...

But I get where you are coming from, and I agree with you.

I think it is one of those stupid blanket statements just like...

"The freer the market, the freer the people"
or
"That government is best which governs least"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:35:01 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:32:24 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 11/5/2010 5:27:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
From your link:

Got you, but I think he says somewhere that government does not create jobs...

But I get where you are coming from, and I agree with you.

I think it is one of those stupid blanket statements just like...

"The freer the market, the freer the people"
or
"That government is best which governs least"

Voters enjoy simple statements that require the least amount of thought possible.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 5:57:33 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:35:01 PM, OreEle wrote:
Voters enjoy simple statements that require the least amount of thought possible.

its not just stupid people though... they're catchy and tend to stick in your head, even if you recognize that its just catchy phrase. they get under your skin lol.

also i think you (comon) are taking it too literally lol. no one goes around picking apart the semantic flaws in the saying "theres nothing to fear but fear itself". everyone gets whats implied. likewise, its obvious that the government can create jobs in the most literal meaning of the term, but thats not the kind of job creation he's talking about.

since the risk of people not getting what is meant by it is very small, whats the point of nitpicking about it?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 6:04:40 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:57:33 PM, belle wrote:

its not just stupid people though... they're catchy and tend to stick in your head, even if you recognize that its just catchy phrase. they get under your skin lol.

also i think you (comon) are taking it too literally lol. no one goes around picking apart the semantic flaws in the saying "theres nothing to fear but fear itself". everyone gets whats implied. likewise, its obvious that the government can create jobs in the most literal meaning of the term, but thats not the kind of job creation he's talking about.

since the risk of people not getting what is meant by it is very small, whats the point of nitpicking about it?

When talking with people that believe in these statements, I find that they actually do believe it. Mainly that money should not be invested in the government, because government does not create jobs. What they believe is that when the government is trying to create jobs, if it does anything other then tax cuts, then it is wasting money (and usually they only care about THEIR tax payer money that is "wasted").

They believe that any "jobs" created by the government are not real jobs and just handouts with work given as an excuse to give them money with busy work (usually they refer to labor unions flexing their muscles to get more power and various other things).

I suppose they see that construction worker that just holds the "stop/slow" sign as a lazy guy just feeding on the tax payer dollar.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 6:08:45 PM
At 11/5/2010 6:04:40 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 11/5/2010 5:57:33 PM, belle wrote:

When talking with people that believe in these statements, I find that they actually do believe it. Mainly that money should not be invested in the government, because government does not create jobs. What they believe is that when the government is trying to create jobs, if it does anything other then tax cuts, then it is wasting money (and usually they only care about THEIR tax payer money that is "wasted").

They believe that any "jobs" created by the government are not real jobs and just handouts with work given as an excuse to give them money with busy work (usually they refer to labor unions flexing their muscles to get more power and various other things).

I suppose they see that construction worker that just holds the "stop/slow" sign as a lazy guy just feeding on the tax payer dollar.

even that opinion admits that the government DOES create jobs, its just wasteful or stupid for them to do so; granted the idea you presented is a caricature, but it still has nothing to do with the criticism comon was offering.
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 6:49:35 PM
At 11/5/2010 5:11:05 PM, comoncents wrote:
"government doesn't create jobs"

It does, so why do people say this.

It should read, "government can create jobs"

Most people that say this mean that the government can't create any net jobs. In other words, the money to pay people employed by the government must come from the private sector and thus any jobs created by government are destroyed in the private sector. Assuming the validity of that logic, the statement "the government can't create jobs" is correct if you're looking at the entire economy (no net jobs are created); incorrect if you're only looking at the public sector (the public sector can indeed expand).

Again, most people are looking at the entire economy. It would be weird and wrong to say the government is incapable of hiring people at all. I've never met anyone who believes that.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 7:18:26 PM
Government can create "jobs". Force half the unemployed to dig holes, and the other half to fill them back up.

Actually "create" is not the word. All jobs already exist. People just aren't doing them for one reason or another (low pay).
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 7:25:10 PM
At 11/5/2010 7:18:26 PM, Sieben wrote:
Government can create "jobs". Force half the unemployed to dig holes, and the other half to fill them back up.

Actually "create" is not the word. All jobs already exist. People just aren't doing them for one reason or another (low pay).

we could set people to work burning all the excess currency we've printed :D
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2010 8:27:49 PM
At 11/5/2010 7:36:09 PM, Sieben wrote:
It only takes one man to add zeros to an excel spreadsheet.

But using computers and technology in general takes away jobs from poor people so the fed should print all the money they need which would stimulate the paper and ink industries and then the government should create a public works program to employ people to burn the money recently printed by the fed, which would also give employment to firms that make matches and lighter fluid :)