PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 11:54:29 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I watched a short video where Trump supposedly squashes Jeb Bush:

https://www.youtube.com...

All the comments are in agreement with the title of the video.

Is there something extremely crucial I'm missing here? I know I'm not very well-versed in politics and I don't regularly watch debates, but I believe I just witnessed Bush presenting an argument against Trump's proposal, while Trump replies with only attacks on Bush's success as a candidate (as well as those "one liners" such as "Make America Great Again").

This hardly seemed like a brutal beatdown or Trump winning in an argument. Reading through the comments, my only thoughts were "what in the hell is going on right now?" I am thoroughly confused.

It's also worth noting that I am not particularly biased toward one candidate or the other. I do not know much about any of the candidates beyond watching one or two debates and reading summaries on their policies. Because of my lack of knowledge, I simply do not know who to support and have thus not yet gone to one side or the other. So this thread is not out of spite of Trump or in support of Bush but is out of genuine confusion. I thought I knew the basics of debate, but apparently not.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 11:59:05 PM
At 2/24/2016 11:54:29 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Is there something extremely crucial I'm missing here? I know I'm not very well-versed in politics and I don't regularly watch debates, but I believe I just witnessed Bush presenting an argument against Trump's proposal, while Trump replies with only attacks on Bush's success as a candidate (as well as those "one liners" such as "Make America Great Again").

This hardly seemed like a brutal beatdown or Trump winning in an argument. Reading through the comments, my only thoughts were "what in the hell is going on right now?" I am thoroughly confused.

It's also worth noting that I am not particularly biased toward one candidate or the other. I do not know much about any of the candidates beyond watching one or two debates and reading summaries on their policies. Because of my lack of knowledge, I simply do not know who to support and have thus not yet gone to one side or the other. So this thread is not out of spite of Trump or in support of Bush but is out of genuine confusion. I thought I knew the basics of debate, but apparently not.

Presidential debates are often more about personality than debate. Donald Trump made himself look "dominant" over Jeb Bush and that's what the crowd wanted.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:00:49 AM
At 2/24/2016 11:59:05 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Presidential debates are often more about personality than debate. Donald Trump made himself look "dominant" over Jeb Bush and that's what the crowd wanted.

I am aware that he presented himself in a better manner. He didn't stumble over his words like Bush did, but really?

I find this rather disturbing.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:05:33 AM

First, Jeb purposefully left out a key word. That word is temporary.

Second, it's clear that Jeb only said that because he was wayyy behind in the polls, and Jeb continues to support the same failed Middle East policies, that we can possibly create Muslim fighters that will reliably fight on behalf of American interests. That we can magically create Muslim insurgents against Isis just by being nice and opening our borders to all Muslims, and say only nice things about Muslims.

Americans are sick of that failed formula.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:09:09 AM

Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:09:54 AM
At 2/25/2016 12:05:33 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Second, it's clear that Jeb only said that because he was wayyy behind in the polls, and Jeb continues to support the same failed Middle East policies, that we can possibly create Muslim fighters that will reliably fight on behalf of American interests. That we can magically create Muslim insurgents against Isis just by being nice and opening our borders to all Muslims, and say only nice things about Muslims.

What you're doing right now is explaining why Bush's policies are bad.

That is what I expected from Trump.

Not comments about how Bush is doing poorly as a candidate and how Trump wants to make America great again. I found it a little amusing. Bush said that Trump is just giving "one-liners," and immediately after that Trump starts to say the same things again.

While I expect comments about how other candidates aren't good (that's always there), I also expect some amount of substance in an argument. I didn't see that substance.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:11:32 AM
At 2/25/2016 12:09:54 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 2/25/2016 12:05:33 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What you're doing right now is explaining why Bush's policies are bad.

That is what I expected from Trump.

Not comments about how Bush is doing poorly as a candidate and how Trump wants to make America great again. I found it a little amusing. Bush said that Trump is just giving "one-liners," and immediately after that Trump starts to say the same things again.

While I expect comments about how other candidates aren't good (that's always there), I also expect some amount of substance in an argument. I didn't see that substance.

Trump really didn't need to say much. The people hate Jeb and every policy he stands for. All Trump has to really do is say "I don't agree with Jeb" or something to that effect.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:15:41 AM
At 2/25/2016 12:13:54 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 2/25/2016 12:11:32 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

The people hate Jeb

That much is evident.

Also, he did say he disagreed with the failed policies of the past administrations. That's all he really needed to do. He doesn't need to convince a public that is already convinced.