Jump to topic:

Is trump as bad as people are saying?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:17:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I'm from the uk. I support the conservative party but from what I have read about it the American republican party seems a lot further to the right. I've heard plenty of bad things about Donald Trump. Is he as bad as the uk media makes out?

From what I have read his policies aren't that different to Cruz and Rubio.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:05:49 PM
At 2/25/2016 2:17:03 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
I'm from the uk. I support the conservative party but from what I have read about it the American republican party seems a lot further to the right. I've heard plenty of bad things about Donald Trump. Is he as bad as the uk media makes out?

He is a viral centipede. A Godapede.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:07:13 PM

He is not as right as some of the candidates, however, he is a vile reality TV star so...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:11:49 PM
At 2/25/2016 4:07:13 PM, TBR wrote:

He is not as right as some of the candidates, however, he is a vile reality TV star so...

A nimble navigator.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:15:23 PM

His economic policies are different - he is the most economically centrist in the GOP field. As for social issues, he is pro-choice in a legal sense, does not actively seek to override SCOTUS on gay marriage (says it is the law, and that people ought to abide by it), and probably has stricter immigration policies. In terms of foreign policy, he is very level-headed in comparison to Cruz and Rubio.

He could probably run as a Tory in the UK without too many ideological issues, and he is to the left of the modern Republican Party.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:14:39 PM
At 2/25/2016 4:15:23 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

His economic policies are different - he is the most economically centrist in the GOP field. As for social issues, he is pro-choice in a legal sense, does not actively seek to override SCOTUS on gay marriage (says it is the law, and that people ought to abide by it), and probably has stricter immigration policies. In terms of foreign policy, he is very level-headed in comparison to Cruz and Rubio.

He could probably run as a Tory in the UK without too many ideological issues, and he is to the left of the modern Republican Party.

Yeah i thought his policies looked relatively conventional centre right. For some reason though the uk press claims he is a right wing extremist. I think it's mainly because of that comment about Muslims being temporarily banned.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:37:29 PM

I'm also from the uk and yes the press have generally portrayed him in a negative light. However it is important to remember it is mainly the left wing press that have been criticising trump. This is mainly due to trumps pro business centre right policies, tough immigration policies and plans to increase military spending. I also think many people are jealous of trumps wealth. Trump is actually more moderate than Rubio and Cruz in general.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:47:11 PM
At 2/25/2016 7:37:29 PM, beng100 wrote:

I'm also from the uk and yes the press have generally portrayed him in a negative light. However it is important to remember it is mainly the left wing press that have been criticising trump. This is mainly due to trumps pro business centre right policies, tough immigration policies and plans to increase military spending. I also think many people are jealous of trumps wealth. Trump is actually more moderate than Rubio and Cruz in general.

The right wing criticizes him their fair share, lol. Don't make this a "media has liberal bias" debate. It's not.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:58:00 PM

I'm also from the uk and yes the press have generally portrayed him in a negative light. However it is important to remember it is mainly the left wing press that have been criticising trump.

Fox News criticizes Trump all the time, it is not something that the imaginary 'left wing media' does....

http://www.foxnews.com...
http://www.breitbart.com...
http://video.foxnews.com...

This is mainly due to trumps pro business centre right policies, tough immigration policies and plans to increase military spending.

No its due to his proposed Muslim ban, his vile attacks on other candidates both in person and online, his playing on people's emotions to propel his candidacy, and generally being an embarrassment to America

I also think many people are jealous of trumps wealth.

He's declared bankruptcy multiple times
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:59:00 PM
At 2/25/2016 7:47:11 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

The right wing criticizes him their fair share, lol. Don't make this a "media has liberal bias" debate. It's not.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my post. What I meant to say is that the left wing media are criticising trump while the right wing media aren't anywhere near as much. I'm not claiming the media is biased I'm just pointing out that it is the left criticising trump more so than the right. Trump is actually quite moderate compared to many republicans as you have stated in an earlier post in this thread.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 9:19:19 PM
At 2/25/2016 7:58:00 PM, imabench wrote:

I'm also from the uk and yes the press have generally portrayed him in a negative light. However it is important to remember it is mainly the left wing press that have been criticising trump.

Fox News criticizes Trump all the time, it is not something that the imaginary 'left wing media' does....

http://www.foxnews.com...
http://www.breitbart.com...
http://video.foxnews.com...

Yes I agree many elements of right wing media criticize trump in the USA as a large proportion of these media outlets have links to the gop establishment and mainstream who oppose trumps candidacy. Sorry for not making it clear but I was replying to a fellow UK citizen so didn't feel the need to mention it was specifically the British media I was referring to. As the British right wing media has less links to the gop establishment it has not been particularly critical of trump while the British left wing media has been very critical of trump.

This is mainly due to trumps pro business centre right policies, tough immigration policies and plans to increase military spending.

No its due to his proposed Muslim ban, his vile attacks on other candidates both in person and online, his playing on people's emotions to propel his candidacy, and generally being an embarrassment to America

Agree much of the anger at trump is from the proposed Muslim ban which I disagree with. His attacks on other candidates are extreme but it's fair to say their are plenty of people attacking him too. He is fighting the entire gop establishment, the other candidates and much of the media. He has to stick up for himself. If he didn't he would have dropped out by now, not closing in on nomination.

I also think many people are jealous of trumps wealth.

Strategic bankruptcies. He intentionally declared them for the overall benefit of his businesses.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 9:59:10 PM

Strategic bankruptcies. He intentionally declared them for the overall benefit of his businesses.

This, along with his inflated net worth, is about something else.

Look. Sure, these are chapter 11, not 13. OK. But these were in company's HE was running, not just some investment of his. He was either CEO or Chairman of each of these companies, and each time he has had to eat a huge loss - so to did his investors. That is not something to just dismiss - sure not when he is using business acumen as his primary qualification.

On the subject of net worth. There is room to argue about this, but as Trump himself says (and his accounts) just about 1/2 of the net worth claimed in in his name as a brand. He really does NOT own very much real estate, sure as he11 not in NYC. His name is on stuff, but he owns very little in real terms.

The overall point is, we have a guy who will tell you everything is about perception. Pretend to be bigger than you really are. Then he make outlandish clams about himself, excuses for failures, and we buy it? We repeat it like, "bankruptcies were good strategic business decisions". Yea, OK sure. Good in the scene that shutdown the business is the worse, and loosing a sh1tton of your and your fellow investor money is the better decision, OK. Not exactly something I would bold in his resume.
trumpster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 10:48:24 PM

From what I have read his policies aren't that different to Cruz and Rubio. : :

If you want to hear the actual message that Donald Trump is speaking, then you need to listen to his speeches and not the written opinions of Trump haters who work for the various entities of the media.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 10:51:34 PM
At 2/25/2016 9:59:10 PM, TBR wrote:

Look. Sure, these are chapter 11, not 13. OK. But these were in company's HE was running, not just some investment of his. He was either CEO or Chairman of each of these companies, and each time he has had to eat a huge loss - so to did his investors. That is not something to just dismiss - sure not when he is using business acumen as his primary qualification.

On the subject of net worth. There is room to argue about this, but as Trump himself says (and his accounts) just about 1/2 of the net worth claimed in in his name as a brand. He really does NOT own very much real estate, sure as he11 not in NYC. His name is on stuff, but he owns very little in real terms.

The overall point is, we have a guy who will tell you everything is about perception. Pretend to be bigger than you really are. Then he make outlandish clams about himself, excuses for failures, and we buy it? We repeat it like, "bankruptcies were good strategic business decisions". Yea, OK sure. Good in the scene that shutdown the business is the worse, and loosing a sh1tton of your and your fellow investor money is the better decision, OK. Not exactly something I would bold in his resume.

Yes trump has made some errors in business but this is offset by a net worth of around $4. 5 billion and many more successful companies and investments. It's fair to say the vast majority of times he gets it right. The fact Is the guy is a successful billionaire whether he is worth what he claims or not. Trump has delivered positive returns for investors in the vast majority of business ventures. Only a fool dismisses someone as an idiot for a few mistakes amongst decades of success.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 10:56:28 PM
At 2/25/2016 10:51:34 PM, beng100 wrote:
At 2/25/2016 9:59:10 PM, TBR wrote:

Yes trump has made some errors in business but this is offset by a net worth of around $4. 5 billion and many more successful companies and investments. It's fair to say the vast majority of times he gets it right. The fact Is the guy is a successful billionaire whether he is worth what he claims or not. Trump has delivered positive returns for investors in the vast majority of business ventures. Only a fool dismisses someone as an idiot for a few mistakes amongst decades of success.

See. I generally disagree with this. There was a story done (poorly done math) about what his net worth would have been with straight investment in indexed funds. Point is, he has done a little better than "OK".

If he really wants his business success to be his main qualification, looking at that success in a critical way is totally fair - no absolutely necessary!