20% Trump Supporters Pro-Slavery

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:20:28 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
http://myfox28columbus.com...

"A YouGov/Economist poll asked readers if they approved or disapproved of "the executive order that freed all slaves in the states that were in rebellion against the federal government," also known as the Emancipation Proclamation.

About 1 in 5 Trump supporters polled in this particular YouGov/Economist poll said they disapproved of it. An additional 17 percent, 1 in 5, said they weren't sure, meaning that about 2/5ths of Trump Supporters, 40%, are not outright in favor of the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:28:23 PM
At 2/25/2016 2:20:28 PM, imabench wrote:

"A YouGov/Economist poll asked readers if they approved or disapproved of "the executive order that freed all slaves in the states that were in rebellion against the federal government," also known as the Emancipation Proclamation.

About 1 in 5 Trump supporters polled in this particular YouGov/Economist poll said they disapproved of it. An additional 17 percent, 1 in 5, said they weren't sure, meaning that about 2/5ths of Trump Supporters, 40%, are not outright in favor of the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves.

Don't know if this is the same poll, but on the radio this AM someone said poll result "1:4 Trump supporters were in favor of 'banning homosexuals from entry into the US'"

Got to love the Trump core supporter.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:29:58 PM
It doesn't necessarily mean they're pro-slavery. It could just mean they're rabidly anti-federal government and believe everything should be left to the states.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:00:47 PM
At 2/25/2016 3:29:58 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
It doesn't necessarily mean they're pro-slavery. It could just mean they're rabidly anti-federal government and believe everything should be left to the states.

Also could very well mean they guessed because they didn't want to be embarrassed that they did not know what it was.

Most people don't know who the vice president is.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:01:51 PM

Or they could be against the tyranny of executive orders without congressional process.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:03:59 PM

http://www.vox.com...

It was the way they framed the question. "Before asking about slavery, YouGov first asked two broader poll questions about executive orders: Do you approve of them, and do you think they're constitutional?" Framing the question this way is a reminder that Lincoln's executive order was also a controversial exercise of presidential power.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:04:26 PM

The Executive proclamation didn't free the slaves in the South or the North. Winning the Civil war coupled with the 13th amendment did...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:05:43 PM
At 2/25/2016 4:01:51 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Or they could be against the tyranny of executive orders without congressional process.

That cruel tyrannical government and its constitutional amendments - freeing slaves and all. REBEL!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:06:30 PM
At 2/25/2016 4:05:43 PM, TBR wrote:

That cruel tyrannical government and its constitutional amendments - freeing slaves and all. REBEL!

You don't know what you are trolling about.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:10:35 PM
So basically 20% of the people knew that the Executive proclamation freed exactly zero slaves. Nice.

Hopefully, Trump can educate us with his keen centipede mind.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:24:22 PM
At 2/25/2016 4:06:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/25/2016 4:05:43 PM, TBR wrote:

I am saying the tyranny of the government is only an issue when executive orders, constitutional amendments or SCOTUS decisions conflict with the republican mindset. Otherwise, its all cool. Executive order to keep torture, all cool. EO to block stemcell research - cool. SCOTUS Hobby Lobby - fine. Obergefell v. Hodges - TYRANNY!!!!!

Hypocrites. Every conservative who bitches about this crap.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:02:47 PM
At 2/25/2016 4:24:22 PM, TBR wrote:

I am saying the tyranny of the government is only an issue when executive orders, constitutional amendments or SCOTUS decisions conflict with the republican mindset. Otherwise, its all cool. Executive order to keep torture, all cool. EO to block stemcell research - cool. SCOTUS Hobby Lobby - fine. Obergefell v. Hodges - TYRANNY!!!!!

You still don't know what you are trolling about when you confuse proclamations with amendments. You must be one of that 80 percent.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:04:41 PM

Lol really? I would question the soundness of this poll. It doesn't correlate with my own experience of Tump supporters. I will, however, say that I have never directly asked about it to a Trump supporter. As for the poll How broad was the poll readers? a small fraction of people doesn't correlate to the entire country. I was also unaware that the Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order. I'll look into this claim further.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:08:13 PM
At 2/25/2016 3:28:23 PM, TBR wrote:

Don't know if this is the same poll, but on the radio this AM someone said poll result "1:4 Trump supporters were in favor of 'banning homosexuals from entry into the US'"

People have their beliefs and tend to want others to believe as they do. This can lead to a lot of aggression. I've seen it on both sides.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:08:45 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:02:47 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/25/2016 4:24:22 PM, TBR wrote:

You still don't know what you are trolling about when you confuse proclamations with amendments. You must be one of that 80 percent.

I see your issue. That is not exactly what I was speaking to.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:08:54 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:04:41 PM, liltankjj wrote:

Lol really? I would question the soundness of this poll. It doesn't correlate with my own experience of Tump supporters. I will, however, say that I have never directly asked about it to a Trump supporter. As for the poll How broad was the poll readers? a small fraction of people doesn't correlate to the entire country. I was also unaware that the Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order. I'll look into this claim further.

It didn't free a single slave either. Winning the war and the 13th amendment did though. In a way it helped to pass the 13th amendment because it discouraged the idea of the South surrendering while keeping slavery intact. That pressured Congress to pass the 13th amendment solely to help end the war.

80% of people apparently don't know this. (like TBR)
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:11:31 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:08:13 PM, liltankjj wrote:

People have their beliefs and tend to want others to believe as they do. This can lead to a lot of aggression. I've seen it on both sides.

I dislike Christians, but have never proposed baring them entry into the US, rounding them up, or any other nonsense.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:13:27 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:08:54 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/25/2016 5:04:41 PM, liltankjj wrote:

It didn't free a single slave either. Winning the war and the 13th amendment did though. In a way it helped to pass the 13th amendment because it discouraged the idea of the South surrendering while keeping slavery intact. That pressured Congress to pass the 13th amendment solely to help end the war.

80% of people apparently don't know this. (like TBR)

That is something I've heard before.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:17:17 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:11:31 PM, TBR wrote:

I dislike Christians, but have never proposed baring them entry into the US, rounding them up, or any other nonsense.

This may be true; however, it fails to take away from others who do. I am a Christan and I say people and their beliefs don't bother me. If anything, It peaks my interest as to why they believe the way they do. But in that same logic, Myself alone does nothing for other Christians. I would ask why do you dislike Christians?
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:18:10 PM

This is a sound reasonable response. Strong logic.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:19:24 PM

Also a sound possibility.
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:21:44 PM

Also a sound possibility..
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:25:02 PM

I could see that being a stance for a libertarian, but these are Trump supporters we are talking about here. A large number of them do not lean libertarian, yet many of them due lean towards racist stances, most notably against Muslims. I find it hard to believe that this particular voting bloc would be against the E.P. for general government power objections, since these very same people overwhelmingly want the government to be able to ban Muslims from entering the country along with other very frivolous things
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:26:20 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:17:17 PM, liltankjj wrote:
At 2/25/2016 5:11:31 PM, TBR wrote:

This may be true; however, it fails to take away from others who do. I am a Christan and I say people and their beliefs don't bother me. If anything, It peaks my interest as to why they believe the way they do. But in that same logic, Myself alone does nothing for other Christians. I would ask why do you dislike Christians?

There are plenty of reasons I dislike the religion, it is unfair for me to say "Christians" as a block, but in the same way Trump and his supporters describe Muslims - this is 'same'.

Not all conservatives want to bar all Muslims, but almost the entirety who DO want to bar Muslims are from the right. A good deal of Trump supporters DO want to. So... There you go.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:27:19 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:25:02 PM, imabench wrote:

I could see that being a stance for a libertarian, but these are Trump supporters we are talking about here. A large number of them do not lean libertarian, yet many of them due lean towards racist stances, most notably against Muslims. I find it hard to believe that this particular voting bloc would be against the E.P. for general government power objections, since these very same people overwhelmingly want the government to be able to ban Muslims from entering the country along with other very frivolous things

It's entirely plausible that 20% of the Trump base is libertarian.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:28:59 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:27:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/25/2016 5:25:02 PM, imabench wrote:

It's entirely plausible that 20% of the Trump base is libertarian.

What a meaningful and substantive response using logic and examples to counter what Imabench said.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:29:42 PM
At 2/25/2016 5:28:59 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

What a meaningful and substantive response using logic and examples to counter what Imabench said.

I meant to say "centipede," sorry.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:30:07 PM
Ahhh, another low information gimmick designed to discredit Trump as much as possible, they just keep coming in. People who don't know anything about Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation will just eat this up! The conclusion derived from the study doesn't even match up with the survey question. This is really pathetic
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:31:34 PM

Bullsh!t.

The main thing about the Proclamation, was that it means blacks can fight in the union army, and the War is all about liberation.

Being against it, is being pro-slavery. As much as southern states try to claim it was about states' rights, the war wasn't about that at all, even by their own admission.
Thank you for voting!