Jump to topic:

Florida polls: Rubio is done

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 5:44:01 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
So Florida votes on March 15th, as part of the second large wave of states to vote in super Tuesday part II. It is a winner take al primary.

According to the establishment narrative, by this time Rubio will have gotten second in most of the super Tuesday states and perhaps won a few, Cruz will have dropped out, and Rubio will surge, finally taking the lead from Trump and catching up to him in the delegate count through wins in the big winner take all primaries, especially his home state of Florida.

Except...that isn't going to happen. Two new polls came out today from highly respected pollsters, Quinnipiac and PPP. The Q poll has Trump up 44-28 on the Robotic Menace, and the PPP poll has him up 45-25. Moreover in a head to head, Trump destroys Rubio 52-38. 44% of Florida voters (the plurality) say it's time for Rubio to drop out.

Rubio's problem is that he has no base of support. He does well in national polls but he doesn't really beat those margins in many places. His support is fairly evenly distributed which makes it difficult to pick up any wins. He did well in the debate tonight, but not nearly well enough to damage Trump. He is finished, and without him the establishment is finished.

Embrace the Don my Republican friends. He took over your party in a storm of fire and blood but the fighting is over now and he will remake it in his image. I don't know how he'll do in the general, but Trumpism is not going away. Even if he does lose in a big way, he is the Goldwater of our generations Republican party and someone else will arise as our Nixon.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 7:12:43 AM
At 2/26/2016 5:44:01 AM, thett3 wrote:
So Florida votes on March 15th, as part of the second large wave of states to vote in super Tuesday part II. It is a winner take al primary.

According to the establishment narrative, by this time Rubio will have gotten second in most of the super Tuesday states and perhaps won a few, Cruz will have dropped out, and Rubio will surge, finally taking the lead from Trump and catching up to him in the delegate count through wins in the big winner take all primaries, especially his home state of Florida.

Except...that isn't going to happen. Two new polls came out today from highly respected pollsters, Quinnipiac and PPP. The Q poll has Trump up 44-28 on the Robotic Menace, and the PPP poll has him up 45-25. Moreover in a head to head, Trump destroys Rubio 52-38. 44% of Florida voters (the plurality) say it's time for Rubio to drop out.

Rubio's problem is that he has no base of support. He does well in national polls but he doesn't really beat those margins in many places. His support is fairly evenly distributed which makes it difficult to pick up any wins. He did well in the debate tonight, but not nearly well enough to damage Trump. He is finished, and without him the establishment is finished.

Embrace the Don my Republican friends. He took over your party in a storm of fire and blood but the fighting is over now and he will remake it in his image. I don't know how he'll do in the general, but Trumpism is not going away. Even if he does lose in a big way, he is the Goldwater of our generations Republican party and someone else will arise as our Nixon.

Saying "can't stump the Trump" is honestly just common sense by now.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 7:50:16 AM
I think the only state he will lose may be Ohio.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 4:02:14 PM
At 2/26/2016 7:50:16 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I think the only state he will lose may be Ohio.

He's probably going to lose Texas and between now and March 15th I think there will be a few surprise Rubio victories, but just not nearly enough.

I don't expect Rubio to walk away without having won a single contest, but I could be wrong. If the polls do hold I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped out before his home state voted, because getting blown out that hard would be such an embarrassment
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 4:11:35 PM

Moreover in a head to head, Trump destroys Rubio 52-38.

How is 14 points getting 'destroyed' exactly?..... Sanders would kill to have those kind of odds against Clinton in Super-Tuesday contests....

Rubio's problem is that he has no base of support.

He doesnt need one, he just needs to woo the Anti-Trump voters who are voters that would prefer other candidates over Trump, which by RCP is still 2/3rds of the entire electorate

http://www.realclearpolitics.com...

He does well in national polls but he doesn't really beat those margins in many places. His support is fairly evenly distributed which makes it difficult to pick up any wins.

When other candidates like Christie and Jeb dropped out Rubio got a lot of their support. Rubio's strength comes from simply outlasting other lesser candidates and looking like he could sway Independent voters in a general election match-up. With Kasich and Carson about to pull out, it will push Rubio above Cruz and then Cruz will be the bottom man in the pile. Who do you think Cruz hates more in the election at this moment, Trump or Rubio?

Rubio can still clinch the nomination, it just depends on how soon al the other candidates drop out of the race and stick it to Trump by supporting the candidates other than him still in the race

I don't know how he'll do in the general, but Trumpism is not going away. Even if he does lose in a big way, he is the Goldwater of our generations Republican party and someone else will arise as our Nixon.

I swear to god if its Palin or Bachmann.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 4:24:04 PM
This is an excellent OP, for a number of reasons. My thoughts at this point are basically identical. Rubio is the most pathetic candidate the RNC has put forward since Jeb Bush. Rubio is a lightweight who got smacked around by an old guy, who tried to act like an elementary school bully at the debate... and Trump is going to smack him back in his place.

Trump is even setting Rubio up to be recast as a whiny child; I loved the "Be quiet." remark at the debate.

Even more hilarious is the suggestion that Rubio has any credibility AT ALL to talk about scams and con men. Rubio is an establishment whore, for reasons that Trump will exploit at considerable length. What will happen, which I have said since day one, is that Trump will focus on all the little acts of corruption that Rubio amassed over the course of his career; mainly getting rich off of incarcerating minorities in for-profit prisons.

And Rubio's attacks on Trump for hiring polish workers is so incompetent that not even Politifact could spin it to be true. The reality is that Trump hired a general contractor to demolish a building; the general contractor then hired a subcontractor that hired illegal polish workers back in the 1970s. It's pathetic.

When Trump says to Rubio: I've built buildings and created high paying construction jobs for tens of thousands of Americans all over the United States, and then comes back and says "You find one instance of a guy I did business with who was unethical and who I didn't work with again, and try to use THAT to smear me? It's pathetic, and you're an incompetent candidate who knows nothing about how business works." then it's done.
Tsar of DDO
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 1:10:22 AM
At 2/26/2016 4:24:04 PM, YYW wrote:
This is an excellent OP, for a number of reasons. My thoughts at this point are basically identical. Rubio is the most pathetic candidate the RNC has put forward since Jeb Bush. Rubio is a lightweight who got smacked around by an old guy, who tried to act like an elementary school bully at the debate... and Trump is going to smack him back in his place.

And Trump doesn't act like a bully?

lol
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 1:20:57 AM
At 2/28/2016 1:10:22 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 2/26/2016 4:24:04 PM, YYW wrote:

And Trump doesn't act like a bully?

lol

What Democrats and Establishment republicans don't realize is that the reason is popular is the same reason they are calling him a "bully."

"Bully" has become a meaningless word in our political climate (where "meaning" is measured by "the extent to which use of the word makes people who like Trump, like him less"), and Trump has preempted that by his war against political correctness.

To be a "bully" in this day and age, and you can even see this in how the word is used on DDO, is simply to not be a pushover and have a strong personality.

By any identical standard, what Rubio did to Trump the other night was "bullying," and far more so than Trump ever did during that debate... but the (extremely hypocritical) reason people do not call Rubio a bully is because Rubio is a very short man with funny ears. Trump is a tall, powerful, white alpha male. Ergo, he is a bully no matter what he does, as the "PC" lot defines it.

This is why these labels that sensitive people use fail: they're total bullsh!t.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 6:18:23 PM
At 2/28/2016 5:54:48 PM, YYW wrote:
http://www.breitbart.com...

"in order to put himself (Rubio) in a position to end forever the existence of the United States as a country with sovereign, protected, secure, defined, certain boundaries."

The guy who wrote/said this is retarded
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 9:29:42 PM
At 2/28/2016 1:20:57 AM, YYW wrote:

"Bully" has become a meaningless word in our political climate (where "meaning" is measured by "the extent to which use of the word makes people who like Trump, like him less"), and Trump has preempted that by his war against political correctness.

I actually don't like a lot of the current push for political correctness. I know Trump doesn't either. Good for him.

Not sure what that's got to do with this.

This is why these labels that sensitive people use fail: they're total bullsh!t.

You realize I used the term bully because you used it, right?

Also:

By any identical standard, what Rubio did to Trump the other night was "bullying," and far more so than Trump ever did during that debate...

During that one debate? Sure. Overall? No way. Trump usually attacks other candidates. In my eyes, quite a few of the attacks are petty (and very repetitive). For example, every time Trump attacked the Bush family, he said the exact same thing over and over again.

It's also worth noting that Rubio only started doing this after Trump brought up Rubio repeating himself.

I should also say that I'm not using bully to mean someone who isn't a pushover. I am using bully the way you initially used it (an elementary school bully) as a way of describing childish or non substantial behavior (i.e. attacking characteristics of the candidate in a way that make you appear petty).

but the (extremely hypocritical) reason people do not call Rubio a bully is because Rubio is a very short man with funny ears.

If we're going off appearances, Rubio beats Trump by a long shot.

Trump is a tall, powerful, white alpha male.

lol
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 9:49:08 PM

That is for the best. Rubio is a nut case. I heard him state that he wants to make college more affordable, by having individuals loan money to prospective college students like they are investing in the student themself. I'm not certain how he thinks this would lower risk thus interest rates, but everything I have learned suggests that he is the poorest performer as far as intelligence.

He reminds me of Obama in that he promises to fix everything, but really has no clue.